Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A New Version of Meth is Driving Homeless People Insane

[QUOTE]”I don’t know that I would even call it meth anymore,” said the director of a drug treatment center. Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder begin in the young. Now people in their 30s and 40s with no prior history of mental illness seemed to be going mad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 2:38 PM

Oooh. Where can I get me some of that?

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 5:18 PM

Thank you for posting that article. It was long, and could have been shorter, more concise, but equally informative of the necessary info. But it's a harrowing story. I didn't know about this shift in Meth. I knew about the issues in opiates with the Fentanyl synthetic being so dangerous. What a horrible horrible situation. The people stuck in it are self destructing permanently and also dangerous to society.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 9:11 PM

Well this is depressing and dire. We didn't need more dangerous meth.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 9:23 PM

These people aren’t even doing recreational drugs anymore. All the drugs are messed up now. It sort of takes the recreation out of it. Straight to crazy town.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 10:35 PM

As care for the mentally ill is often just not available perhaps letting the poor souls trip out-of-their-minds and overdose would be a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 10:38 PM

[QUOTE] The symptoms were always similar: violent paranoia, hallucinations, conspiracy theories, isolation, massive memory loss, jumbled speech. Methamphetamine is a neurotoxin—it damages the brain no matter how it is derived. But P2P meth seems to create a higher order of cerebral catastrophe. “I don’t know that I would even call it meth anymore,” Ken Vick, the director of a drug-treatment center in Kansas City, Missouri, told me. Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are afflictions that begin in the young. Now people in their 30s and 40s with no prior history of mental illness seemed to be going mad…

[QUOTE]Susan Partovi has been a physician for homeless people in Los Angeles since 2003. She noticed increasing mental illness—schizophrenia, bipolar disorder—at her clinics around the city starting in about 2012. She was soon astonished by “how many severely mentally ill people were out there,” Partovi told me. “Now almost everyone we see when we do homeless outreach on the streets is on meth. Meth may now be causing long-term psychosis, similar to schizophrenia, that lasts even after they’re not using anymore.”

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 11:08 PM

[QUOTE] After the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Barrera was filled with remorse that he hadn’t stuck it out in the Corps. He was home now, without the heroic story he’d imagined for himself when he joined the Marines. The way he tells it, he drank and used meth to relieve his depression.

[QUOTE]He’d sometimes stay up on meth for four or five days, and he had to make excuses for missing work. But until that point, he’d held his life together. He worked as a loan processor, then for an insurance company. He had an apartment, a souped-up Acura Integra, a lot of friends.

[QUOTE]But as the meth changed around 2009, so did Barrera’s life. His cravings for meth continued, but paranoia and delusions began to fill his days. “Those feelings of being chatty and wanting to talk go away,” he told me. “All of a sudden you’re stuck and you’re in your head and you’re there for hours.” He said strange things to people. He couldn’t hold a job. No one tolerated him for long. His girlfriend, then his mother, then his father kicked him out, followed by a string of friends who had welcomed him because he always had drugs. When he described his hallucinations, “my friends were like, ‘I don’t care how much dope you got, you can’t stay here.’ ”

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2021 12:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2021 9:06 PM

George Romero was a true prophet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2021 9:08 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2021 6:53 PM

Are we sure it's only the New Meth? People could also be being driven insane from the powerful microwaves eating our brains from 5G.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2021 6:59 PM

“Driving homeless people insane” - how can they tell?

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2021 7:00 PM

These drugs are causing irreparable brain damage in people yet I still hear do gooders talking about how the war on drugs was worse than the actual drugs. That argument is dead in the water. There is no safe way to legalize fentanyl and P2P meth.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2021 7:12 PM

This shit was NOT created in a meth lab in Fontana. GOVERNMENT CREATED.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2021 7:21 PM

R14 you really need to take your meds, darling.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2021 7:29 PM

LOOK AT ME I'M USING CAPS BECAUSE I'M AN EMOTIONALLY STUNTED CHILD THROWING A TANTRUM.

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2021 7:31 PM

Don't forget the tiny microscopic implants you get inside the Covid 19 vaccine. They are programmed to interact with the 5G rays!

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote] The symptoms were always similar: violent paranoia, hallucinations, conspiracy theories, isolation, massive memory loss, jumbled speech.

Sounds like your garden variety MAGA voter.

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote]A New Version of Meth is Driving Homeless People Insane

And they seemed so sane before!

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2021 7:34 PM

Uh, R14, why would the government create something that is totally expensive to deal with and destabilizing to communities and that generates crime, homelessness and mental illness on a huge scale?

I'm in Portland and this is the single biggest problem we have right now.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2021 7:34 PM

The problem is WHICH government, r20.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2021 7:36 PM

What’s the Venn diagram of meth users, Q-Anon believers and Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2021 7:59 PM

Is the new meth partially responsible for the growing number of homeless tent encampments in America?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2021 7:37 PM

Krokometheroin, anyone?

Heppy to obleej.

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2021 7:51 PM

[QUOTE] Two days after New Orleans police found a dismembered torso, human head, hands and other remains in a deep freezer aboard a bus parked outside a suspected meth lab, authorities were still waiting for the body parts to thaw to ascertain whether they belonged to a woman who had been living with the suspected lab operator, senior law enforcement sources said Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 1:55 PM

and yet the fashionable gays will STILL do meth weekends

smh

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 2:10 PM

@R20 - Gee, I don't know. Let's ask Gary Webb....oh, wait...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 2:10 PM

[quote] Driving homeless people insane

Driving them insane? Oh, honey, most of them are close enough to walk.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2022 2:18 PM

[quote]violent paranoia, hallucinations, conspiracy theories, isolation, massive memory loss, jumbled speech.

So this explains Qtards.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2022 2:23 PM

More poison from Russia who is destabilizing our country.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2022 2:26 PM

R30 did you read the article?

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!