Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I can't take Stephen Colbert anymore because the smug has eclipsed the humor

Am I the only one who's just gradually begun to hate him and not for political reasons? About 8 years ago we had a Australian friend who lived with us for a year. He was the biggest Colbert fan on the planet. Living in NYC, he goes to Colbert's book signing only to come home to tell us how nasty Colbert seemed to be in person. I shrugged it off as it being a celebrity who was likely tired that day. But the more I TRY to continue liking the guy, the more I just hate him. He's really come to think of himself as a great, wise satirist and as if every sentence he utters is the cutest, more spit-laugh worthy thing ever. Can't they make these late night guys retire after five years or so? They clearly have a shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 6:20 PM

I loved the Colbert Report. But as soon as he became a late-night host, I went off him.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 4:58 PM

OP here. I forgot my signature.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 4:58 PM

Oh fuck off R2. Don't start your trollin' shit with me.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 5:04 PM

I haven't watched Colbert regularly in a while. I enjoyed the Colbert Report and followed him over to CBS. The Colbert Report had some of the sharpest writing on TV, consistently funnier than the Daily Show. I enjoyed Late Night for a while but it did become monotonous after Trump. Colbert shot to the top then, so you can't argue with success.

Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel had a similar trajectory, manifested in different ways. The shows much be a real bitch to do.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 5:22 PM

Agreed, OP

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 5:27 PM

I find him hysterically funny on Strangers with Candy, but there is something a little smarmy and self important about his delivery. I dunno though, I can never seem to enjoy late night hosts. I think there's something about the format now where the jokes are overly written, the celeb stories are generic (and usually just them mentioning another celebrity to get more clicks).

I think Fallon etc. have mentioned that every segment is now designed to generate viral moments that will be posted on social media, and it shows. I miss the Dick Cavett days of genuine thought provoking conversation.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 5:29 PM

The height of Wit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 5:31 PM

Music brings out the Best in anyone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 5:35 PM

I’m another who did not follow him to CBS after his Comedy Central show ended.

He does come off as very pompous and full of himself. And knowing that he’s a practicing Catholic (WTF?) just puts me off him even more.

Who has time for that?

I do appreciate that he showed his nutsack from behind in an episode of SWC. That counts for something.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 5:38 PM

You’re just now seeing this?

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 6:07 PM

Isn't John Stewart rumored to not be the biggest fan of his anymore? If true, if he's turned-off Stewart, that says a lot. He does seem as though his ego long ago expanded to planetary size. The Colbert Report was ground-breaking. Had he kept his show a little less partisan, meaning not every punchline or bit about some political issue, he would have appealed to more. Leno was the most unfunny person ever to host late night television. And yet, he was constantly beating Letterman. His ratings were through the roof. And it wasn't just old people or humor-challenged folks tuning-in. They watched because they could go to bed without being indoctrinated by the host's politics. It was just silly, benign "humor" with some celebrity interviews. Colbert and Kimmel may have ratings, but it's ratings of one particular demographic. And when that one demographic begins to tune-out, there isn't another demo. who will make up for the loss. So the ratings will go from where they are, immediately to the depths of the Earth. And once there's someone to challenge Colbert and the even more awfully unfunny Kimmel, someone who won't play politics, we're likely going to see that person take off like a rocket.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!