Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should I buy a red car at my age?

I've always wanted a red car not fire engine or steal me red but a deeper wine or Spanish red. I'm in my 60s so would I look silly? It's like seeing grey haired men racing around in sports convertibles. I know they think they look cool but they look anything but. Like Bob Hope in a comedy sketch dressing like a hippie which was not funny just embarrassing.

I know I can go and fuck myself for thinking they look ridiculous. But is it the same thing or should I just say the hell with everybody and get it? One does not want to feel silly when driving a car especially when one is an elder.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 11:27 PM

No, dear, get something demure instead for your age, like Champagne Pink

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2021 9:36 PM

At a certain age, the color isn't the problem, the type of car is.

Personally, I would prefer a dark maroon-ish red over a bright fire engine red car.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2021 9:37 PM

Statistically, red cars are pulled over more often than others. I've always avoided them...but I'm not a fan of red anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2021 9:39 PM

You only live once OP.

If it will make you happy, go for it!

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2021 9:40 PM

Buy what the fuck you want, whatever color you want the car to have as you drive around your town What the FUCK do you care what people(and other HOMOS) THINK!! Fuck the "motherfucking assholes" & their stupid opinions right up their Fucking ass!! You keep doing You.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2021 9:42 PM

I live in a college town with a wacked out football team. The college colors are crimson and gray.

I have never seen so many red cars in a city.

When I bought my last car, I had my choice of models, but they were ALL red.

I got a red car.

Because paint colors are used across models and makers and editions, I got a RADIANT RED car. Medium dark red, microflake. It glitters like Dorothy's shoes.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2021 9:42 PM

You live exactly once. Do what makes you happy.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2021 9:44 PM

"When I am old I shall wear purple... and drive a red car"

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote] I've always wanted a red car not fire engine or steal me red but a deeper wine or Spanish red. I'm in my 60s so would I look silly? It's like seeing grey haired men racing around in sports convertibles. I know they think they look cool but they look anything but.

OP, judge not lest ye be judged.

You're in your 60s, you should now be free of these shackles.

You're judging the gray-haired men in their convertibles. Hence, you fear fulfilling your dream of a red car.

And, no, I don't believe you want "wine red" or "Spanish red"; you want fire engine or candied apple red.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2021 9:50 PM

You’re in your 60s so you look ridiculous no matter what you do anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2021 9:52 PM

At your age, I’d suggest a golf cart.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2021 9:52 PM

I wouldn't mind driving around everywhere in a golf cart.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2021 9:54 PM

Better red than yellow...

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2021 9:54 PM

If you are just buying a normal, nice car - then red is fine. If you are buying a convertible, or some racy, sporty type car, you will look a fool, and people will point and laugh.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2021 9:55 PM

R14=Margaret White

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2021 9:56 PM

My father had Cessna 185 which he painted with red stripes - because red is actually uncommon in the natural world (primarily green, brown, and, in the winter, white), he wanted the aircraft to be visually obvious in case of an accident.

I’ve adopted a similar reasoning: not only do I want my car to be visible if I go off the road, I want other drivers to see me as well, just to know that I’m there. I’m on my second red car in two decades; I’ve only been pulled over once in all that time.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2021 10:02 PM

R2 is right. What type of car, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2021 10:08 PM

^ There you go a fire engine red '59 Cadillac. People will get out of your way

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2021 10:20 PM

How about a piggy red Rolls Royce SUV, yours for about $700,000

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2021 10:24 PM

Buy what makes you happy. Fuck the Ageists.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2021 10:26 PM

The "Scala red" at R19 is quite sharp but not too flashy.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2021 10:28 PM

^ Yes, Mazda makes a beautiful red called "Soul Red" It's a few bucks less then the Roller as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2021 10:35 PM

OP, you're 60 years old. You're not dead! Stop worrying about what other think. As my sainted grandmother used to say when people dared question anything she said or did - "Fuck 'em!" Baby Boomers Rule!

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2021 10:35 PM

My partner & I (both in our 60s) needed to buy a car after a move across the country. We went to a Honda dealer with hopes of getting a new car, but soon realized that it would take quite some time to get the car we wanted. The salesperson suggested that we look at used cars. He went through his inventory of what was available and found something he thought would meet our needs.

As we were walking across the lot to look at the car, he casually mentioned that the car was red.

"Oh No!" we replied. "At our age, we would NEVER buy a red car!"

We decided to look at it anyway, and to our surprise, it was a much deeper, more acceptable red than we had imagined. I still remember the salesperson saying in a really sexy voice:

"Well, actually, it's not really red. Its... MER-LOT."

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2021 10:37 PM

If it ain't a Ferrari, fuhgeddaboutit. Red Ferrari, Green Mercedes, Yellow Jaguar.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2021 10:40 PM

I can't believe that, at your advanced age, you're still so invested in the "what will people think, what will people say" bullshit, OP.

When are you gonna grow the fuck up and get over that?

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2021 10:41 PM

My God OP, you are in your 60's isn't it about time you stop worrying about what other people think, if you want a red car get a red car, I am 70 and my last two vehicles have been red, although they have been trucks, but if I wanted a red sports car I would get one. I never once worried about what other people would think.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2021 10:41 PM

He does, r9, or he wouldn't be asking.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2021 10:43 PM

Op, just don't get a Subaru. You don't want people thinking that you're a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2021 10:46 PM

I happen to love candy apple red. Lexus has that but I don't want a Lexus.

R24 that's exactly what I was thinking about a Honda Accord a few years old. I don't want the nightmare of having a brand new car and worry about everywhere I park it. Nicely styled but not too sporty for my age. I could maybe add a little bit of black trim(very little) because I love the color combination.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2021 10:56 PM

Yes, OP, you may have a red car.

I once was caught in traffic alongside an older man who was driving along in a sports convertible with one hand and giving the finger with the other. Not to me personally, just everybody.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2021 11:21 PM

gurll go pink !!! listen to Aretha !!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote] I happen to love candy apple red.

I knew it. Let your freak flag fly, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 1:29 AM

To R29, only the Subaru Forester counts as a Lesbian Subaru(this according to about 25 Lesbians I have known for over 20 yrs).

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 5:49 PM

I changed my mind OP, I recommended you get a car any color you want but on second thought what other people think is way too important to you and at this age you are unlikely to change, get a bland color of car, it fits you.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!