Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A California Construction Worker Asked a Speeding Motorist to Slow Down. He Was Shot Seven Times In Response.

The family of a California Black construction worker wants answers after their loved one was shot several times in what is now being looked at as a potential hate crime.

Bobby Gayle is still recovering, KCRA reported this week, after being shot seven times this month in the town in California’s Central Valley. The incident took place on Oct. 8 while the 45-year-old man was on the job at a north Stockton restaurant.

Bobby’s brother, Marlon Gayle, told the outlet that his brother had just finished the job when the shooting occurred. Marlon claims that Bobby saw a man driving at high speed through the parking lot and yelled for him to slow down.

The brother said the man, identified as Michael Hayes, 31, stopped his truck, got out and started shooting and spouting racial slurs. Marlon told the outlet he believes “it was a hate crime.”

He added, “The guy doesn’t know my brother. My brother doesn’t know him. Out of nowhere, he started calling him the N-word and started shooting him.”

On Friday, Hayes was charged with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. Police are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.

Marlon Gayle said he learned of his brother’s shooting through several voicemails the father of five left on his phone. The shooter missed several major arteries, but Bobby was ultimately hit in his throat, upper arm, shoulder and two times in the face.

The brother says they “don’t know if he’ll be able to work at the same capacity.” He added, “The doctors are letting us know. Our first thing … is being able to see that he is breathing right. He’s talking right.”

Prior to Hayes’ arrest, Stockton Police shared photos of the man and his truck on Facebook. There was also a $10,000 reward for information leading to the suspect’s arrest.

Stockton Police Assistant Chief Jim Chraska said that the department was “working with reporting to the California Department of Justice as well as the FBI. We have an officer on the FBI task force. So it’s important to us to make sure we get the community’s help.”

After the arrest, Stockton Police Chief Eric Jones thanked the “anonymous tipster and the hard work of our detectives for bringing a quick resolution to this case for the victim and his family.”

A GoFundMe has since been set up to assist in Bobby Gayle’s recovery process.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2021 11:00 PM

It's amazing this guy lived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 8:43 PM

Car drivers are the most narcissistic rage queens in the whole damn country. A moment's inconvenience is enough to send them into a violent, homicidal rage. And someone on this thread will "joke" about how he understands.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 8:46 PM

R1, his brother and that police officer are good looking

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 8:51 PM

Why is it important to mention that he is black?

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 8:52 PM

Because the attack was racially motivated, R4.

The shooter called him the n-word.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 8:55 PM

Shot seven times in a hate crime, as opposed to being shot seven times in a friendly crime.

That makes all the difference when the firemen are hosing away the blood.

From the video I can't see even a hint of justification for the defense to work with . Burn him, but for the objective reality of the crime.

Under Penal Code 664/187(a) PC, attempted murder in California is when the perpetrator intends to kill the victim and takes a direct step towards killing the person, but the victim does not die. Attempted first-degree murder is punished by life in state prison.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 9:08 PM

[Quote] From the video I can't see even a hint of justification for the defense to work with .

As with all white people who commit such heinous crimes? The defense will be “He had mental issues.”

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote] a Speeding Motorist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 10:17 PM

The shooter needs to be torn apart. Limb by limb.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 10:51 PM

Piece of shit. Thank God the victim survived.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 11:05 PM

Look at that fucker's eyes. He'd do it again.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 11:07 PM

Shooter looks like the insufferable, hip-hop-hoe, Ari Melber.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 11:14 PM

[quote] Look at that fucker's eyes. He'd do it again.

My rulings on the California Supreme Court just might give him the opportunity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 11:15 PM

He was shot seven times and lived? Maybe the shooter was a crap shooter as well as being racist...

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 11:16 PM

Why do piece of shit deplorable live in blue states as well? Like you hate everything dem then leave cunts.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 11:18 PM

So it was Joel Edgerton?

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] Because the attack was racially motivated, [R4]. The shooter called him the n-word.

Hard ‘r’ or ‘N- - - a’?

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 11:34 PM

Black people truly have to be on the defense in every single situation nowdays.

He was at work in a construction zone, FFS. And all he did was tell an asshole speeder to slow down.

That is so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 11:37 PM

Central Valley is Alabama in California and there's nothing center/central about it. The place is a shithole dump stinking to high heaven with cattle shit.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 11:40 PM

It's amazing how the victim is 14 years the perpetrator's senior but looks much younger. That's a hard looking 31-year-old. Hate ages.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 11:49 PM

I never realized that, R20.

They look about the same age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 11:51 PM

For r6 ,A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime) is a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of their membership (or perceived membership) of a certain social group or racial demographic. In California:

(a) “Hate crime” means a criminal act committed, in whole or in part, because of one or more of the following actual or perceived characteristics of the victim:

(1) Disability.

(2) Gender.

(3) Nationality.

(4) Race or ethnicity.

(5) Religion.

(6) Sexual orientation.

(7) Association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

(b) “Hate crime” includes, but is not limited to, a violation of Section 422.6.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 11:53 PM

The thing about a hate crime requiring the victim to have been *targeted* by the perp is what makes me think this isn’t so cut and dry as a hate crime. Maybe the guy would’ve shot anyone in that construction zone telling him to slow down, and the victim just happened to be black.

If it had been a woman, and the guy called her a cunt or a bitch, would it seem like he had *targeted* her because she was a woman? I’m not so sure.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out. Glad the guy lived and hope he recovers fully. Hope the perp gets the chair.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2021 12:03 AM

I am donating. Here is the direct link. The family is close to goal. Can't believe he survived it. I hope the guy who tried (and, thankfully failed even with 7 bullets) gets tortured in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2021 12:05 AM

r23, that's why these things call investigations exist. The onus is on the prosecution to prove the motive as with any criminal case. What's not clicking?

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2021 12:07 AM

The article literally says "Police are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime." If they gather enough evidence for a hate crime charge then what exactly is the problem?

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2021 12:11 AM

I like the write-up for the GoFundMe at R24:

[quote] Bobby Gayle Jr. is the victim of a senseless, racially motivated hate crime. He was shot 7 times while working in Stockton, CA, on October 8, 2021. He was shot by the perpetrator, who was driving recklessly, after he and his fellow coworker/friend told the suspect to "slow down!" The perpetrator attempted to first hit Bobby and his coworker with his vehicle and failed.

[quote] The perp proceeded to get out of the car with a loaded gun, point it in their direction as he yelled racial epithets and slurs at the victim and his friend. They placed their hands up and begged for him to not shoot them. The perp fired without mercy and struck Bobby 7 times. Bobby was able to roll under a truck and seek some cover.

[quote] His friend was able to escape unscathed and later came back to aid Bobby and contact emergency services. Fortunately, Bobby is in stable condition after sustaining 7 got shot wounds and is recovering surrounded by loved ones.

[quote] He is quick to be of service to others in need without hesitation and sets the bar very high when it comes to his construction job and overall work ethic.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote] Why do piece of shit deplorable live in blue states as well?

They need to be branded and moved out!

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2021 12:13 AM

Let me guess, the shooter was ginned up on YouTube racist videos.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2021 12:14 AM

It's weird how Stockton is only about 80 miles from San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley.

Yet it seems like they're in the Deep South.

Not only that, but the city is only about 22% white. Which makes this attack even more strange.

The city is about 12% black, 21% asian, and 40% hispanic.

If the shooter doesn't like minorities, what the fuck is he doing living in Stockton?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 12:19 AM

As a fellow African-American, I understand his pain and suffering.

Won't someone please ask me if I'm okay???

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2021 12:22 AM

The shooter is kinda hot tho.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2021 12:25 AM

Hey R25/26, I was responding to R5, who spoke with what I perceived as certainty about the perp’s motivation. I understand it’s being investigated—I’m not opposed to that. Take it easy.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2021 2:21 AM

How many white people in America were killed by black men that very same say? And why haven’t we heard of it?

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2021 5:14 AM

It's bad enough that he shot him but SEVEN times?

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote] Black people truly have to be on the defense in every single situation nowdays.

Indeed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2021 10:22 PM

^ That shooter is light on his feet.

He moves like a dancer. He has rhythm.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2021 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!