Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Billy Porter criticizes Harry Styles' historic Vogue cover: 'All he has to do is be white and straight.'

Is a certain someone feeling a bit envious that they weren’t asked to do the cover?

“ Since Harry Styles' became the first man to grace the cover of American Vogue alone almost one year ago -- and did so wearing a full-length dress -- the British singer has come to symbolize a new, more expressive era of men's fashion. But he's the wrong face for the moment, according to actor Billy Porter, who has built a reputation around his gender-fluid fashion choices.

In an interview with British paper The Sunday Times, Porter argued there was a disconnect in the opportunities afforded to him as a Black, gay man and those given to Styles. "I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to," he said. "I created the conversation (about non-binary fashion) and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time."

Porter, whose first autobiography "Unprotected: A Memoir" will be published later this month, spoke candidly about his delayed professional success. In the mid-aughts, the star struggled to book acting jobs after making his Broadway debut in 1991. By 2007, he was forced to declare bankruptcy. It wasn't until the Netflix series "Pose," for which Porter won an Emmy in 2019 for his performance of the ballroom MC Pray Tell that his career began to stabilize.

Now Porter is a red carpet regular, wearing eye-catching looks that push the conversation around gender and style forward. At the 2019 Academy Awards, he wore a voluminous black velvet tuxedo dress and followed it up at the 2020 Grammy Awards with a crystal-encrusted jumpsuit.

But proper credit is lacking, Porter told the paper, saying he "changed the whole game" when it came to men wearing skirts and dresses.

"I was the first one doing it and now everybody is doing it," he said. "I'm not dragging Harry Styles, but... He doesn't care, he's just doing it because it's the thing to do. This is politics for me. This is my life."

"I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars," Porter continued. "All (Styles) has to do is be white and straight."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258November 7, 2021 5:49 AM

oh shut up. maybe you didn't get roles because you're not a very good actor

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 7:34 PM

what a big fat bitter bitch

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 7:34 PM

Billy takes himself a little too seriously, but at least when he wears a dress, he makes sure it fits. Styles just looked silly.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 7:36 PM

He's a fucking freak minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 7:36 PM

He's not wrong but ultimately it's unimportant who started wearing dresses first. I do think he sounds articulate.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 7:36 PM

He always needs to be the center of attention.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 7:37 PM

this dizzy bitch thinks he's the first man to wear a dress.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 7:38 PM

He seems to mistake wearing a dress for having an interesting personality.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote] It wasn't until the Netflix series "Pose," for which Porter won an Emmy in 2019

A program almost totally ignored by the viewing public

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote] "I created the conversation (about non-binary fashion)

Uh-huh.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 7:41 PM

It did well with its demographic.

Almost no gay shows do well in ratings.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 7:41 PM

yes yes yes r10 now shut up Billy

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 7:45 PM

Billy better not call Harry straight. His fangirls on Twitter will come for him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 7:49 PM

He really is a trailblazer, that Billy Porter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 8:07 PM

He's right

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 8:08 PM

He’s right but once again he’s insufferable. All I hear is negative things out of his mouth, and if he’s going to do that, at least spin it with some sarcastic witty humor.

Once again I am asking. Does he say these things when asked by a reporter/interviewer or does he send out a press release?

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote]I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to

they've accepted you. They don't have to like you

the trans movement has had the easiest, fastest time to acceptance of any other group and all the do is complain

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 8:17 PM

His bio is titled Unprotected, and he got Aids having unprotected sex in his forties.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 8:33 PM

You mean like "Will & Grace"?

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 9:38 PM

I like Billy's approach to his fashion, but sometimes I think he tries too hard.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 9:44 PM

If he’s trying to make me dislike him, he’s succeeded. I can’t stand the sight of this bitch anymore.

How does he know why Harry Styles dresses as he does?

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 9:51 PM

Bitch, I rocked a miniskirt nearly two thousand years before you were born.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 9:54 PM

I’m for anyone who wears a birthday cake as a hat.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 9:55 PM

R19 wow. A whole ONE!!!

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 9:56 PM

Billy actually makes some cogent points. Yes, of course, a straight (or, straight-perceived, at least) white man has more freedom to be expressive and flamboyant with fewer consequences. He can "cos-play" as fabulous and then go back to being a straight-laced white heterosexual. I think, with Styles, that might be a touch reductive. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he has a certain genuineness you don't see in the average boyband alum.

But, Billy misses a much broader point. Yes, Styles benefits from white, straight privilege, but thinking of the two of them as equals is ridiculous. Billy is OLD. Harry is young and a genuine superstar. Of course if (in some made up hypothetical situation,) there was a choice between them, Vogue would choose Harry.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 10:04 PM

Harry Styles is younger and thinner. There's no question who Vogue would put on its cover.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 10:21 PM

Harry Styles is a YUUUUUUGE. Why would Vogue bother with this trifling, tiresome old queen, regardless of color. I'd say he's on minute 14.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 10:39 PM

David Bowie, Prince, Elton John, Boy George ….all have worn dresses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 10:44 PM

What a truly annoying cunt. In whatever of his 50 trillion genders he is today.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 10:45 PM

Milton Berle was a brave pioneer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2021 10:48 PM

No, Billy, you did not start the trend.

Harry Styles got other young men to wear dresses. AIDS ridden Queens like you have always worn dresses and no one cared. Harry got the young straight dudes to do it.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2021 10:50 PM

My Shakespeare performance in graduate school described Bottom (!) in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" thusly: "He wants to play ALL the parts!" I feel that way about Porter--and it's not endearing as it is with the bewitched rustic.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2021 10:50 PM

Big Bugs Bunny in drag vibes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2021 10:50 PM

Um, didn't Kurt Cobain do this way before Billy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2021 10:52 PM

Tough shit!

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2021 10:52 PM

[quote] AIDS ridden Queens like you

r31 you should go to hell

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2021 10:53 PM

Could we stop denigrating him because he is HIV+? That is not cool.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2021 10:53 PM

Billy Porter...get over yourself. You're annoying and exhausting. And you're about to be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2021 10:54 PM

And Billy can bitch and moan all he wants about trends and roles but there's no need to call out Harry, and no one owes you a Vogue cover, honey.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2021 10:55 PM

Of all the reasons to hate Billy, being HIV+ is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2021 10:58 PM

R32 here. Sorry, should be "Shakespeare performance professor"

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Why wouldn't Harry be on the cover? Why does it have to be a gay guy? It's not a gay magazine. Should only gay men wear women's clothing? Is he equating wearing dresses with homosexuality? What's his stance on women wearing pants and t shirts?

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Billy Porter almost destroyed his great singing voice many years ago by abusing it. I'm sure that had a LOT to do with why his career stalled for awhile. His voice was in such bad shape for that concert version of DREAMGIRLS that they apparently had to re-record all of most of his part for the cast album. It got to the point where his voice was so unreliable that he started taking non-musical roles for the first time, and he was actually excellent in an Off-Broadway revival of ANGELS IN AMERICA. Somehow, he got his voice back well enough to have a success in KINKY BOOTS, but I guess he doesn't sing much or at all anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 11:07 PM

Harry Styles clearly appropriates gay culture to sell records.

[quote]Harry is young and a genuine superstar.

There are no genuine stars anymore. I haven't a fucking clue as to one song he sings. And nor do I really care.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 11:14 PM

R44 that doesn’t mean he isn’t a star dear.

The world doesn’t revolve around you.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2021 11:15 PM

Harry is English. Anna is English. Hamish is English. Grace is English.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2021 11:17 PM

[quote] the trans movement has had the easiest, fastest time to acceptance of any other group

That's not true at all. There have been people living their lives as the opposite gender for literally thousands of years.

I'm not a fan at all of the current US and UK trans movement, but when we complain about them we should at least be accurate.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2021 11:20 PM

R45 I can guarantee you a lot of people don't know him at all. Entertainment today allows you to be completely turned off from mainstream pop culture if you want to.

Billy should have just laughed it off.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 11:23 PM

So much hate for white people. I’m cancelling Billy Porter.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 11:23 PM

What about me, you bitches.

This was 1999! Twenty two years ago. These nouveau guys are slackers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 11:30 PM

This was 28 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 11:33 PM

Imagine being Billy Porter thinking you invented drag. This guy's a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 11:34 PM

Jealousy is ugly Billy and so are your getups

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 11:35 PM

When did Porter start routinely wearing “female“ attire? He’s been around for 30 years. Was he doing it before the huge trans movement the last year or two? I’m not sure I consider this revolutionary at this point.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2021 11:35 PM

Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon more commonly referred to as Lord Cornbury, was the first-cross-dressing Governor of New York and New Jersey, opened the NY Assembly in drag way back1702 New York; here's his portrait at the NY Historical Society. Suck it, Billy Porter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2021 11:39 PM

This one may be at the Historical Society -- they look fairly similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote]He's not wrong but . . .

Ugh. Can we please ban this phrase from DL?

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2021 11:45 PM

And actually, he IS wrong.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2021 12:02 AM

He is actually RIGHT. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2021 12:26 AM

Looks like a get-up Ricky and Fred would trick Lucy and Ethel into wearing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2021 12:32 AM

Billy's get-ups are tiresome.

However, I love Orville Peck and Big Freedia's approach to fashion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2021 12:35 AM

R48 he just sold out MSG for 5 nights in NYC.

He’s known.

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2021 12:37 AM

Miss Billy Porter is a jealous bitter old queen who looks like Lil' Nas X's great-grandfather and needs to sit down. Also Harry Styles most definitely is not straight. He's sucked and ridden far too many cocks for that to be possible.

by Anonymousreply 63October 19, 2021 12:53 AM

R61 I can’t stand Orville! I think there’s just nothing there. It’s just Roy Orbison karaoke with a couple of distractions thrown on top. And everyone’s supposed to be like “oh wow a gay country singer” lolol.

by Anonymousreply 64October 19, 2021 1:15 AM

That eyeshadow is a bit much, even for me.

by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2021 1:17 AM

Billy, you can go the fuck away now. Please.

by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2021 1:18 AM

I'm fascinated by how he's simultaneously so talented, so thirsty, and yet so supremely unlovable.

by Anonymousreply 67October 19, 2021 1:19 AM

The Porter-Styles feud is the Takei-Shatner feud to the under 90 set.

by Anonymousreply 68October 19, 2021 1:19 AM

It's sad, really. He sounds like a bitter old cougar in a bar raging with jealousy because the young, hot women are getting all the attention from men.

by Anonymousreply 69October 19, 2021 1:20 AM

R69 what a weird misogynistic comparison to make.

by Anonymousreply 70October 19, 2021 2:16 AM

I used to admire him, but now he just sounds bitter and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 71October 19, 2021 2:19 AM

I wouldn't call him Aids face, or mock his status if he hadn't contracted HIV in his forties. And then try to do some stupid 'I'm empowered by this' utter bullshit. Just use a condom, and do not expect us to revel in how marvelous you are, when you cannot even adult yourself in the most simplest of ways.

He gets no parade. he gets no praise. He gets mocked. That is all he deserves, the self obsessed fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 72October 19, 2021 3:06 AM

[quote]He just sold out MSG for 5 nights in NYC.

Who did?

by Anonymousreply 73October 19, 2021 3:32 AM

Oh, sorry, I looked back through the thread and realized you meant it was Harry Styles who sold out MSG. At first I thought you meant Billy Porter, and I was, like, "What the hell did he DO at MSG, since he can't really sing anymore?"

by Anonymousreply 74October 19, 2021 3:35 AM

What he always does, r74. He would pose and pose and complain and complain.

by Anonymousreply 75October 19, 2021 3:37 AM

He's jealous because people find Harry sexy, he's younger, he's got a bigger fan base than Billy will ever have, and Harry has a more successful music career than Billy, whose music career flopped.

Billy sounds ungrateful and petty and jealous, when he should be happy with his Emmy and that he can still get press from wearing one of his insufferable outfits to the red carpets.

by Anonymousreply 76October 19, 2021 3:38 AM

Monosodium glutamate is very popular. Why be surprised he sold it successfully?

by Anonymousreply 77October 19, 2021 3:49 AM

I don't give a shit about Harry Styles. He is a mediocre talent who trades on being a young White "straight-ish" male.

Billy is absolutely right about getting less opportunities being an out gay Black male. That is all true.

But the dress thing? Gurrrl pleeeease!

Vogue put Harry Styles on the cover because it was newsworthy.

It has nothing to do with Billy's race.

What is newsworthy about putting a FLAMBOYANT openly gay homosexual male on the cover in a dress?

Honey you know damn well many gay men wear dresses. That's not newsworthy. Billy's gowns are elegant, but is that reason enough to give him a cover? How would they even choose which gay man to put on the cover and what would be newsworthy about that?

In one of Billy's most famous roles he dressed in full drag, Kinky Boots. Billy would have been a poor choice for a cover.

She is grasping at straws here.

by Anonymousreply 78October 19, 2021 4:49 AM

Miss Billy Porter is the type of bitter jealous old queen who sits alone at the bar all night downing drink after drink while giving everyone else dirty looks and loudly insulting them every 10 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 79October 19, 2021 5:33 AM

Definitely r79! We've all known the type.

by Anonymousreply 80October 19, 2021 5:38 AM

I find Porter tiresome, and his argument he's some kind of pioneer is ridiculous, but I will say at least when he's dressing up he's wearing the outfits. With Styles it always looks like the clothes are wearing him.

And "historic Vogue cover"? Please.

by Anonymousreply 81October 19, 2021 5:38 AM

There's haute couture, there's prêt-à-porter, and then there's billy-porter.

by Anonymousreply 82October 19, 2021 5:48 AM

A circus clown is upset. Awww.

by Anonymousreply 83October 19, 2021 5:51 AM

Billy always looks like he's smelling his own farts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 19, 2021 6:02 AM

Billy definitely didn't "start" this shit, and he's always been up his own ass...but, that being said, he's kind of right on this one.

by Anonymousreply 85October 19, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote]What is newsworthy about putting a FLAMBOYANT openly gay homosexual male on the cover in a dress?

Is an openly gay homosexual male anything like a prostitution whore?

by Anonymousreply 86October 19, 2021 6:54 AM

Both points are true imo. Harry would not be getting the same attention if he was actually gay. They arent putting Troye Sivan on the cover of Vogue are they? A straight guy throwing some cumbs to the 2010's version of gender fuckery is hardly that impressive.

But Billy is also a bitter old queen who thinks he is faaaaaar more famous and important than he is. And why do all these famous gay black guys who spend half their careers talking about ingrained racism within either the entertainment industry or gay community ALL have white BFs/husbands? They all do.

by Anonymousreply 87October 19, 2021 7:19 AM

Has Roxane waded into this one yet?

by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2021 9:01 AM

R87 Why would they put the gay guy in a dress on the cover? What does make sexuality had to do with wearing dresses? Are you saying only gay men should be allowed to wear female dresses? Or that gays are womanly men?

by Anonymousreply 89October 19, 2021 9:50 AM

Has anyone ever seen Billy Porter laugh or smile? For that reason alone. I can't stand this person.

by Anonymousreply 90October 19, 2021 10:05 AM

He’s giving “I am the architect of rock and roll.”

by Anonymousreply 91October 19, 2021 10:07 AM

[quote]”I was the first one doing it and now everybody is doing it," he said.

Excuse me, you stupid bitch?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2021 10:10 AM

I guess this dumb bitch never heard of Divine, who was wearing dresses back in the 60’s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2021 10:12 AM

Why is he pretending this never happened before (men dressing flamboyantly.) Has he never heard of glam rock?

by Anonymousreply 94October 19, 2021 10:37 AM

[quote] And why do all these famous gay black guys who spend half their careers talking about ingrained racism within either the entertainment industry or gay community ALL have white BFs/husbands? They all do.

I was just thinking this too! You see this all the time.

by Anonymousreply 95October 19, 2021 11:09 AM

R89 What are you, an idiot? The point is that gay men have been the pioneers and architects of fucking over traditional gender norms, but the credit is never given to us. No one is saying that is reflective of all gay men though.

[quote] What does make sexuality had to do with wearing dresses?

Work on your English sweetie. By the way, how is 'make weather' over there in Russia?

by Anonymousreply 96October 19, 2021 11:12 AM

Oh dear lord, will this whinging never end?

by Anonymousreply 97October 19, 2021 11:32 AM

I want it to turn out that Billy Porter goes by just Bill back at home, with his biologically female wife and 5 kids. Somewhere in Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 98October 19, 2021 11:37 AM

R96 "The point is that gay men have been the pioneers and architects of fucking over traditional gender norms"

Except they haven't, you braindead moron.

by Anonymousreply 99October 19, 2021 11:47 AM

R98 He has an average looking face that looks silly in makeup, like the Fedex guy done up in drag because he lost a bet.

by Anonymousreply 100October 19, 2021 11:56 AM

Sorry, but Billy Porter is black and gay. He was given opportunities that 99.9999999% of straight white men will never get. Does he realize how ridiculous his argument is?

by Anonymousreply 101October 19, 2021 11:59 AM

I mean...men wearing dresses? Not for me but knock yourself out.

I think he would have a point IF the issue was about men wearing dresses, but it’s a piece about Styles and his “bravery” for breaking traditional norms in fashion aka his lame attempt at being David Bowie. I think Porter should save that criticism for something more meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 102October 19, 2021 12:01 PM

The FUCK are you talking about R101. You have to be joking.

by Anonymousreply 103October 19, 2021 12:03 PM

R103,

Did you even read the OP? BP said all HS had to do was be straight and white. BP has been handed more freebies and nearly any other straight white man in the world. It’s disingenuous to pretend that he’s at a disadvantage because of his race and sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 104October 19, 2021 12:08 PM

I Googled Billy Porter's age. He's 52. That's your answer. Harry Styles is younger and attracts a more desirable demographic. If Porter were 20 years younger and had a bigger fanbase, he may have gotten a cover. This has nothing to do with race. Does anyone outside of NYC even know who Billy Porter is?

by Anonymousreply 105October 19, 2021 12:18 PM

Styles has been lauded by Vogue as a fashion icon since he was 18. Anna Wintour was pictured at his MSG concert last week and went to one in 2018 too. Of course he was her choice for the first man to be on the cover of Vogue. He's put in the work and worn some truly sublime outfits over the years. Harry was only 26 at the time of the cover and far more attractive and successful than Billy Porter. I don't know why Billy waited a year to kick off.

Harry just got confirmed as Starfox, one of the Eternals in Marvel. Starfox is the most seductive superhero in MCU.

by Anonymousreply 106October 19, 2021 12:23 PM

R104 I'm sorry, I couldn't IMAGINE anyone would be serious with that post. I would love for you to tell us how an effeminate, black gay man in his 50s has had 99.9999% more opportunities than a mega-rich, straight white male in his 20s.

P.S. Just to clarify, we get what you're doing, BUT I think this might be amusing.

by Anonymousreply 107October 19, 2021 12:31 PM

Harry Styles has been featured in Vogue for the last ten years. They wanted him as the cover star and if he hadn't worn a dress he'd still have got the cover. Wintour is his fangirl and was at his NYC gig last week.

by Anonymousreply 108October 19, 2021 12:47 PM

Dear Billy Porter, Go the fuck away. Please and thank you.

by Anonymousreply 109October 19, 2021 12:47 PM

Billy, come back when you have the biggest grossing tour of 2021 like Harry does. 750k merch sales per night on top of that. Harry is an iconic figure of popular culture. Hugely popular in Australia, Europe, Latin America, Far East. Billy is unknown outside England and the US.

by Anonymousreply 110October 19, 2021 12:49 PM

[quote] Miss Billy Porter is the type of bitter jealous old queen who sits alone at the bar all night downing drink after drink while giving everyone else dirty looks and loudly insulting them every 10 seconds.

And in just a few years, he and Jeremy O Harris can sit there next to each other, the Black old gay Statler and Waldorf of the last remaining gay bar on the Upper East Side, throwing mildly caustic shade at all the people who say they say reject them for their race or gender, rather than for their unappealing bitterness of their own damn selves.

by Anonymousreply 111October 19, 2021 1:08 PM

R111

No, I don't think so my dear boy.

We do have some standards at Townhouse Bar, and they reflect the co-ops and communities we live in.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 19, 2021 1:12 PM

Why won't Harry Styles stop his gay baiting bullshit and just go away?

by Anonymousreply 113October 19, 2021 1:25 PM

[quote] By 2007, he was forced to declare bankruptcy.

Forced by his own choices.

by Anonymousreply 114October 19, 2021 1:30 PM

Yay, it’s Datalounge Rags on a Gay Man Day!

aka Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or pretty much every other day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 115October 19, 2021 1:37 PM

Billy is always whining. Tiresome. Plus he has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome face. Those eyes!

by Anonymousreply 116October 19, 2021 1:38 PM

[quote] With Styles it always looks like the clothes are wearing him.

You mushn't ever let the clothesh wear you!

by Anonymousreply 117October 19, 2021 2:03 PM

Billy is only 52? Methinks Miss Jane Pittman is shaving a few years.

by Anonymousreply 118October 19, 2021 2:04 PM

R79 You mean at the Copa? Copacabana?

by Anonymousreply 119October 19, 2021 2:04 PM

R84 That's his smoldering supermodel look.

by Anonymousreply 120October 19, 2021 2:05 PM

Bitter much?

by Anonymousreply 121October 19, 2021 2:05 PM

Here's what R101 wrote about BP:

[quote]He was given opportunities that 99.9999999% of straight white men will never get.

And here's what the idiot at R107 turned it into:

[quote]I would love for you to tell us how an effeminate, black gay man in his 50s has had 99.9999% more opportunities than a mega-rich, straight white male in his 20s.

The FACT that Billy Porter has had many tremendous opportunities is evidenced by his fame and the current state of his career. And it could be argued that, at least in recent years, effeminate, black gay men have been given MORE opportunities than straight white men due to producers, directors, etc. bending over backwards in terms of "diversity."

by Anonymousreply 122October 19, 2021 2:36 PM

Some people really like burning bridges, but I guess at his age, he probably ran out of fucks to give.

That said, I'm puzzled by this type of activism. Sure a black person wearing dreads may be asked to cut it and can be perceived as dirty while a white person won't, I've seen it, I get it. So what? What is this type of activism really trying to achieve? Hand-outs? A pity fuck? I don't get it. This type of "activism" is the reason LGBT acceptance has decreased in the last five years. People are tired of being the punching bag of mentally unstable people with a grudge.

We get it you have a hard time being whatever the fuck you are, but you aren't special. Most people are gonna be attacked by someone else at some point in life too. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 123October 19, 2021 3:05 PM

R113 How is he gay baiting? Why are you equating wearing women's clothes with being gay?

by Anonymousreply 124October 19, 2021 3:07 PM

Vogue opened the door, so I don’t think BP is terribly off base. Once you put a man in a dress on your cover, every man in a dress thinks he’s entitled. Put a fat woman on your cover… you guessed it.

by Anonymousreply 125October 19, 2021 3:23 PM

It's so idiotic to me he looks at this as if the cover of VOGUE were some sort of prize awarded by Anna Wintour to the most woke.

That's why he's absolutely not "kind of right on this one." He's wrong. The purpose of a magazine cover is to sell magazines, and that is it. Harry Styles is much more famous than Billy is, and is much more likely to sell copies since he's also much younger and appeals to a more youthful demographic.

by Anonymousreply 126October 19, 2021 3:36 PM

people don't owe him or the trans community anything

by Anonymousreply 127October 19, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]Vogue opened the door, so I don’t think BP is terribly off base. Once you put a man in a dress on your cover, every man in a dress thinks he’s entitled. Put a fat woman on your cover… you guessed it.

Maybe you're joking, but if not, that's an....interesting way of looking at this. As if there were room on the cover of Vogue for EVERY man in a dress, EVERY fat woman, etc. Are we know judging representation of race, gender, etc. by who gets to be on the cover of Vogue? How idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 128October 19, 2021 4:00 PM

I like Billy. I LOVED Pose and he was great in it (but Elektra stole the show for me). He does make some valid points...but he could do with making them in a more constructive way that doesn't come across so bitter. Like a lot have said already, age and current popularity likely played into the decision far more than any other factor, he is not comparing like for like so claiming it's because he's straight and white doesn't really work.

Nor does his claim that he 'created the conversation' as if he's the first man to ever wear a dress. Just comes across badly and it diminishes his accomplishments and the valid points he is making.

by Anonymousreply 129October 19, 2021 4:32 PM

[quote]I like Billy.....He does make some valid points...but he could do with making them in a more constructive way that doesn't come across so bitter. Like a lot have said already, age and current popularity likely played into the decision far more than any other factor, he is not comparing like for like so claiming it's because he's straight and white doesn't really work. Nor does his claim that he 'created the conversation' as if he's the first man to ever wear a dress. Just comes across badly and it diminishes his accomplishments and the valid points he is making.

I agree with all of that 100 percent EXCEPT your comment that Billy "does make some valid points." As far as I'm concerned, the issues you cite render all of Billy's points invalid, even though some of them might be valid in other contexts and situations.

by Anonymousreply 130October 19, 2021 5:01 PM

They both look silly wearing dresses acting like Velvet Underground, Bowie + Boy George never existed.

What's so remarkable about wearing dresses anyway. They're not meant for men, they're cut for women with big hips and breasts. Yes, they all look silly and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 131October 19, 2021 5:14 PM

R131 Who in The Velvet Underground wore dresses? Not even Moe Tucker

by Anonymousreply 132October 19, 2021 5:22 PM

Desperate thirst trap strikes again. Could someody explain the concept of diminishing returns to Billy? Because he is an embodiment of it with his endless bullshit, hollow rants. Has he ever posted about anything but himself?

by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2021 5:52 PM

Not only that, but the eyeshadow is two shades too electric blue for the hat. Doesn't she know that your eyeshadow should never be brighter that your hat? Jesus Fuck... bitch needs Anna Wintour on speed dial if he thinks he's gonna take the public by storm with his retro pyjama I raided mommy's makeup drawer again drag.

by Anonymousreply 134October 19, 2021 5:55 PM

R128, I don’t think Harry Styles should be on the cover of Vogue, either! I think they should have beautiful supermodels, or maybe A-list (attractive) celebrities, starlets.

But once they change the criteria, they have changed the criteria; it’s open season. If you put a man in the cover, why not an elderly woman or fat Latina? We’re being INCLUSIVE!

I don’t like it, but that’s the way it is now.

by Anonymousreply 135October 19, 2021 6:04 PM

You can't criticize me, because I was abused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 19, 2021 6:19 PM

Isn’t there another publication that can put him on their cover?

by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2021 6:27 PM

Styles was part of one of the biggest boy bands in history, his solo album went to #1 in both the US and UK, he has appeared in major Hollywood films. Major concert draw, huge international profile. But yet it is solely that Styles is 'white and straight' (?) that landed him the Vogue cover? Please.

Is there any messy Pose alumna who is not seemingly determined to make themselves a liability? "When your talent wants a suite, you GIVE them a suite!"

by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2021 6:34 PM

[quote] Isn’t there another publication that can put him on their cover?

Is Famous Monsters still in print?

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2021 6:55 PM

Any lesbian has more of a sense of humor than Billy Porter. His bitterness and constant whining are sure to cost him jobs. Who wants to work with that?

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2021 7:09 PM

I never read Vogue so, why is it that you can't have a male on the cover?

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2021 7:11 PM

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

I think the concensus is that Billy went a bit bonkers in his criticism of Vogue, but some of you are hitting way below the belt.

He can criticize the magazine cover and suggest that someone else would have been appropriate. That's fair. Anyone can say that.

But most of us agree that for him to say that the someone else for the cover should have been "ME" was pretty rich. And then him to compound his statements with flimsy and somewhat inaccurate reasons only made matters worse.

But for y'all to go in on his ages, his looks, his HIV status and try to discredit his accomplishments was a bit much.

He can sometimes be loud, annoying and (as in this case) wrong, but DAMN, some of y'all sound like you either hate gay men, or effeminate gay men, or Black men or all of the above.

by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2021 7:16 PM

You must be new here, R 142. If so, welcome to DL and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2021 7:39 PM

Someone show R142 the way out. He stumbled into the wrong alley.

by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2021 9:09 PM

r144 you can tell by the use of the "y'alls".

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2021 9:12 PM

The first man in a dress to get an American fashion magazine cover was Boy George on the cover of Cosmopolitan, way back in 1984. And he looked FABULOUS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2021 9:59 PM

Someone's pissed because Anna didn't return their calls about wanting to be on the cover of Vogue. It'll be surprising if he's invited to next year's Met Gala.

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2021 10:42 PM

This is how you get your point across - with charm and intelligence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2021 11:11 PM

R143

Pick up your check. You're fired! LOL

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2021 1:32 AM

Being straight and white didn't seem to do much for Harry Styles when that Vogue issue of him in a dress received a lot of backlash. Right wing loons had a field day with it. Talking their usual gibberish "This is the end of western civilisation!" "Harry isn't a real man" and so on. People seem to have forgotten that. Even his mom had to come out and defend him.

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2021 2:09 AM

Harry is British! Why not put an American on American Vogue?

Hate the brits in America. What's wrong with the UK. Everyone always come to America.

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2021 2:20 AM

Billy is an embarrassment to gay men - a total circus clown.

by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2021 2:44 AM

He's definitely a circus clown.

Makes me wish that guys like Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Pine would just come out already. We need more regular, normal guys in the public eye instead of attention whore freaks like Billy Porter.

And I'm not knocking all drag queens or effeminate mine, mind you. Boy George for example was and continues to be utterly fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2021 2:46 AM

Everyone loved Boy George.

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2021 2:46 AM

Or effeminate MEN, I meant to say.

When can we get an edit function on this ghetto forum?

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2021 2:54 AM

That Billy is a jealous and petty little bitch. You'd almost think he's following the stereotype of a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2021 2:58 AM

I think Billy may be a little miffed that he finally arrived at 52 and has to compete with someone half his age. It's tough out there as you get older.

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2021 3:03 AM

R153 I see how you slammed the black guy and elevated the white guys.

Like a true white supremacist.

by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2021 3:12 AM

An attention whore freak is an attention whore freak r158. Not everything is about race. Frankie Grande is also an annoying attention whore freak, but this thread is about Billy Porter.

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote]I don’t think Harry Styles should be on the cover of Vogue, either! I think they should have beautiful supermodels, or maybe A-list (attractive) celebrities, starlets. But once they change the criteria, they have changed the criteria; it’s open season. If you put a man in the cover, why not an elderly woman or fat Latina? We’re being INCLUSIVE!

Fine, but that doesn't mean that any PARTICULAR elderly woman or fat Latina or gender-bending attention whore like Billy Porter is more entitled to be on the cover than the person who was chosen. Get it???????

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2021 3:35 AM

Billy Porter is damaged. Whoever fucked him when he was young really did a number on him.

Just listening to him speak even once, you can hear the chip on his shoulder and his many defense mechanisms. You don't have to be a shrink to see it.

Add to that his cartoonish behavior. He is not trans. Nor is he even just an effeminate gay man. He is an attention whore screaming "I am a freak, look at me." It often comes across as narcissistic but it is actually a cry for help and evidence of low self esteem.

He rants about being a proud gay Black man but seems to want nothing to do with the Black experience except to say he's being discriminated against. His world is White. He married a White man and surrounds himself with White yes men and White yes women who affirm him in his psychosis.

He is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 161October 20, 2021 3:41 AM

R158 is why DL is going downhill....fast.

by Anonymousreply 162October 20, 2021 3:58 AM

How's Billy's new book selling???

by Anonymousreply 163October 20, 2021 4:01 AM

Another thing that's not being discussed is how his use of "non-binary fashion" is not really what's going on in either the Styles' cover or BP's general public persona. The cover and subsequent pictures of Styles hardly exhibited non-binary fashion. It was basically a young, cool attractive dude in a dress that was designed to be worn by women. And although some were feminine pieces, it's not as if Styles was decked out as a girl at a debutante ball. IIRC the cover was him in a long dress wearing a biker jacket, basically looking like a dude in just an odd piece of clothing. On some level, I see that image (a young, hot and talented guy who does't care he's in a dress, but still a guy) as something younger Gen Z's thinking is cool and provocative. However, it being described as an exposé of non-binary fashion is simply ridiculous. And as others have dutifully pointed out, nothing in the cover was ground-breaking or novel. It was just a cool, popular dude in a ladies clothing,

BP on the other hand is being disingenuous by declaring himself a purveyor of non-binary fashion and being passed over for the cover. No, that dude just straight up dresses as a woman. There's nothing non-binary about him; he's basically a drag queen when he's out in public. Further, his public persona is garish and campy, not what anyone would consider fashionable in line with Vogue. Yes, what he wears would look fabulous and high-end on a woman, but not some old gay dude. And let's face it, his persona is just not something the general American public is gonna latch onto any time soon. What he's describing as non-binary is just simply inaccurate and false.

by Anonymousreply 164October 20, 2021 4:08 AM

Anyway, Billy's not the first. Not by a long shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 20, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote]Now Porter is a red carpet regular, wearing eye-catching looks that push the conversation around gender and style forward...

Now Porter is a red carpet regular, wearing eye-catching looks that push the conversation around gender and style into a ditch...a tired ass ditch!

by Anonymousreply 166October 20, 2021 5:27 AM

[quote]Now Porter is a red carpet regular, wearing eye-catching looks that push the conversation around gender and style forward

I was pushing that conversation forward 70 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167October 20, 2021 5:52 AM

Why ever would a man in a dress be compelling, or important? It's just tiresome stunting, even when the extremely difficult and needy Billy Porter does it.

I mean, really, who does it advance? Men look silly in dresses! It is not nearly the "brave and stunning" statement Billy Porter thinks it is.

Before "Kinky Boots" (a lousy show) Billy was just a screechy gay male Broadway singer. A LOT of people had already sworn off working with him again, which caused his money woes. He decided to get on the popular Gender Queer/Gender Identity Movement bandwagon because he is opportunistic and thought it could take him somewhere. It has. None of this "non-binary" shit is who he ever was. Billy is just another less likable Dawn Davenport. He LOVES the flashbulbs!

by Anonymousreply 168October 20, 2021 5:53 AM

R99 Ok, so if I'm such a "brain dead moron", tell me how you know better? Who have been the real pioneers of fucking over gender norms? What have 'some' gay men been doing all this time in terms of self-expression and gay culture? What's the "right kind" of gay man? Since you seem to know better...

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2021 6:54 AM

R151 Do you even know where the earliest Americans came from?

by Anonymousreply 170October 20, 2021 6:58 AM

r151 Do you even know where the editor-in-chief of American VOGUE comes from?

by Anonymousreply 171October 20, 2021 7:03 AM

Yes I do, but neither one if them are American. I think Anna is half American, but still.

Harry is not American. It doesn't matter where the earliest Americans came from. He's British not American. There's nothing for him and other brits and Aussies too for that matter. They're all fucking annoying to see and hear.

by Anonymousreply 172October 20, 2021 7:06 AM

Oh shut up r172

by Anonymousreply 173October 20, 2021 7:21 AM

Well, Billy is right. Gay-baiting is so lame, in a few years we will say it’s so 2020, and people will laugh at Harry Styles, who is severely abusing this now trend.

It was transgressive during Bowie era, at 80s. Right now is obviously just a fashionable publicity.

by Anonymousreply 174October 20, 2021 7:23 AM

R173 You do the same Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 175October 20, 2021 7:46 AM

Was this the goal? To get to a certain level of respectability may prestige and honor, and then start sniping at other artists, producers, and society and treating them just like he was or that they are somehow “beneath” his ideals?

If I was hiring for a new movie, I wouldn’t bother with Billy because what he’s doing is NO different than what Trump does-

Shaming, belittling, embarrassing and ridiculing others- at the same time showing his insecurity, narrow mindedness and yes, racism of white people enshrouded in wokeness.

by Anonymousreply 176October 20, 2021 8:30 AM

I say we just take him out to the woods and tie him up!

by Anonymousreply 177October 20, 2021 9:53 AM

Porter? You brought her.

by Anonymousreply 178October 20, 2021 10:56 AM

R151 It's because Brits are a lot more talented than Americans

by Anonymousreply 179October 20, 2021 10:59 AM

From NYT review of BP's recent book:

"This is not just a memoir, saints; this is a testimony. He is telling a story and he is spilling the tea and he is working through deep wounds in pursuit of a clearer path to a full experience of personhood. “Here I am all these decades later, at the height of my life and career — covered in alla my personal trauma,” he says early in the book.

Some stories one wishes Porter would linger on. His marriage and recent career successes, for instance, rush by in a blur of boldfaced names and viral moments. But in “Unprotected,” Porter is reaching for a loftier objective than just delivering a happily ever after. “My art is my calling, my purpose, dare I say my ministry,” he writes."

/quote

No, article isn't behind a paywall....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 20, 2021 11:15 AM

Notice not unlike so many self-loathing Snow Queens, Billy Porter married a white guy.

So I guess his rants are only directed at straight white guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 20, 2021 11:23 AM

Yes!

Bugs Bunny in drag! That's it exactly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 20, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote]The FACT that Billy Porter has had many tremendous opportunities is evidenced by his fame and the current state of his career. And it could be argued that, at least in recent years, effeminate, black gay men have been given MORE opportunities than straight white men due to producers, directors, etc. bending over backwards in terms of "diversity."

And here’s where your grandiose theory of how the poor straight white man has gotten the shaft falls apart.

THIS post is about the frustration of an effeminate, gay Black man who wears dresses and is pissed off that a straight white man has become the first man to appear on the front cover of THE major FASHION MAGAZINE in a dress. All of the gay and queer representation that we have and a goddamn fashion magazine chooses a straight white dude to make fashion history--whatever the FUCK that means.

Where’s the 99.99999% more opportunity in that scenario? What are these alleged opportunities that straight men aren't getting that Billy Porter is--according to you?

So instead of bullshit like “The argument could be made…” and calling me an idiot, why don’t you and the other 8 schmucks who liked your post actually make an argument and answer the FUCKING question? What are these opportunities that 99.9999999% of straight white men will never get?

And let me be very clear, I don’t give a shit about fashion or Vogue magazine and I don’t think THIS is a race issue by any means. BUT when you purposely make an inflammatory statement, you need to back it the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 183October 20, 2021 1:11 PM

No, R183, it's about an entitled egomaniac who is butthurt that he is not famous enough to grace the cover of Vogue. Period. His " Do you know who I am?" moment. And the answer is a resounding," No."

by Anonymousreply 184October 20, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote]Where’s the 99.99999% more opportunity in that scenario? What are these alleged opportunities that straight men aren't getting that Billy Porter is--according to you?

That's not what I meant, and not what I wrote -- and you have a major reading comprehension problem. Seriously.

What I meant, and what I wrote, was that (1) FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS (as I specified), there has been a concerted effort in the entertainment industry (and other areas) to give MORE opportunities to POC, gays, trans, etc. OVER cis white people, even to the point of quotas being established, whether or not those quotas are stated outright. And (2) even if it WERE true (and it isn't) that straight white men in the entertainment industry are STILL being given more opportunities than people who are black and/or gay or trans or non-binary, that wouldn't apply AT ALL to the Billy Porter/Harry Styles situation, as both are big celebrities, so the choice of Styles for the cover of VOGUE ultimately came down ONLY to the question of who would sell more magazines, and has NOTHING to do with discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 185October 20, 2021 2:16 PM

Well, I still don’t understand why Vogue would put any man-in-a-dress on the cover.

Fashion magazines are funded by advertisers. They are there to tell women what to buy. Thin, beautiful women are pictured to appeal to aspirational consumers. The editorial content is PR for actresses, designers, authors and other celebrities with agendas.

I’m not expecting to see men on the cover regularly, so Harry Styles is just a blip, to me.

Perhaps Vogue is pivoting toward some new mission, I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 186October 20, 2021 2:27 PM

R186, perhaps they figured that putting Styles on the cover would generate great interest that would translate into magazine sales simply because of the novelty, and it appears they were right. I assume that the editorial and ad content of that issue was the same as always, telling women what to buy.

by Anonymousreply 187October 20, 2021 2:34 PM

Yo sure is ugly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 20, 2021 5:48 PM

[quote]From NYT review of BP's recent book

Doesn't this sound like a fun read!

by Anonymousreply 189October 20, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote]“My art is my calling, my purpose, dare I say my ministry,” he writes."

Oh, Bro-THER!

by Anonymousreply 190October 20, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]“My art is my calling, my purpose, dare I say my ministry,” he writes.

Wow. Not self-important at all!

by Anonymousreply 191October 20, 2021 9:06 PM

He's right - he did start the trend - at least on the modern mainstream red carpet. But, what is there to say - someone else got a cover doing it. That's hardly unusual. It's not like Porter hasn't got all sorts of press himself for this dresses and skirts - which are, to be sure, much better than the Styles cover.

He has an enormous chip on his shoulder and he's crazy bitter. And I get it - he's suffered a lot and had truly terrible things happen to him - the bullying, the religious upbringing, the sexual abuse. I do not blame him at all for having a chip and being bitter. But understanding that about him doesn't make him a more pleasant person. He really can be exhausting and insufferable. And now that he has money and fame, he has a well-developed defensive arrogance. I just listened to his Fresh Air interview and it was there.

by Anonymousreply 192October 21, 2021 2:15 AM

The DL troll who's always in the music threads screaming about "ancient white fags" reminds me of Billy Porter. Crazy, bitter and delusional.

by Anonymousreply 193October 21, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote]“My art is my calling, my purpose, dare I say my ministry,” he writes.

I imagine a lot of the other performers from the 1994 revival of "Grease" as well as the cast of "Smokey Joe's Cafe" would say the same thing...if asked!

It's truly great to aim high, but equally as desirable to lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 194October 21, 2021 7:21 AM

R192 But...Matt and Trey did it twenty years ago, he is, in no way, the first.

by Anonymousreply 195October 21, 2021 7:30 AM

It’s not equality they seek. The discussion and his art is all about assailing, yelling and constantly reinventing looks to be provocative and grab attention- this is exhausting for an old man- let Harry and younger generations carry the torch, dear. He jumped on the trans bus because being gay just isn’t as striking anymore. Harvey Fierstein was the first.

by Anonymousreply 196October 21, 2021 7:49 AM

R185 Am I in the FUCKING Twilight Zone?

[quote]That's not what I meant, and not what I wrote -- and you have a major reading comprehension problem. Seriously.

You wrote: Sorry, but Billy Porter is black and gay. He was given opportunities that 99.9999999% of straight white men will never get. Does he realize how ridiculous his argument is?

I asked you to specify what those opportunities were, and you respond with "In recent years...blahlblahblah." Give me some examples of the 99.99999% of opportunities.

WHY CAN"T YOU DO THAT?

by Anonymousreply 197October 21, 2021 9:38 AM

[quote]He decided to get on the popular Gender Queer/Gender Identity Movement bandwagon because he is opportunistic and thought it could take him somewhere.

This approach is no different than when he tried to pass himself off as a straight pussyhound (not unlike NPH’s Barney character) in a pathetic pilot presentation I suffered through many years ago.

Porter doesn’t come from a place of strength; he comes from a place of entitlement.

And thirst.

It really doesn’t matter the particulars - he will glom onto whatever thing he suspects you might favor, then proceeds as though he epitomizes that thing.

“I am the first, the best, the most at whatever you all deem is the thing that might place me on a pedestal.”

by Anonymousreply 198October 21, 2021 11:45 AM

I'm seeing comments that Billy Porter's entitled and getting things handed to him that White men aren't? Slow your roll.

First, Billy Porter had very humble beginnings. There was nothing rich and fancy about his upbringing and there definitely wasn't any money or privilege involved.

Second, Billy Porter is a phenomenal singing talent as evidenced by the MANY accolades he's received for that.

Third, as an openly gay Black man in an industry predominately run by White heterosexual males do I believe Billy Porter has been discriminated against? Absolutely! That would be the OPPOSITE of entitlement.

Fourth, Billy Porter has been in the game a long time. He is not an overnight success. He has worked hard and was not handed anything.

Fifth, Billy Porter deserves the success he worked hard for.

However, his arguments on the dress shit are lame and cause him to lose a lot of credibility.

For the sake of argument, let's say Billy Porter was the first man in a dress. So what? That doesn't mean he gets to be on the cover of ANYBODY'S magazine.

As a performer, Billy knows that ALL artistic decisions (e.g. acting gigs, awards, magazine stories etc.) are subjective.

Vogue is the product of a private business entity and the financial bottom line is gonna drive that "subjective" decision.

For whatever reason, they made the decision to go with someone else. Without some "objective" evidence that this was a slight to gay men or Black men, or even to him personally, he needs to get over himself. He sounds like a lunatic!

And let's not forget that Billy's had lots of press coverage over the years of him in dresses. It's not like he's being ignored.

So is Billy Porter entitled? NO

Is Billy Porter wrong on this issue? YES

by Anonymousreply 199October 21, 2021 2:09 PM

The Oscars dress looked great because it was fit and tailored perfectly and blended masculine and feminine together well. Everything since he looks like a man wearing ill fitting gowns.

by Anonymousreply 200October 21, 2021 2:50 PM

David Bowie wearing a dress in 1970 👇🏻

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 21, 2021 2:58 PM

R197, the opportunities that Billy Porter has been given were.....umm, the ones that allowed him to achieve his current position of fame and success. And those are opportunities that are not available to 99.9999999% of straight white men.....or gay white men.....or straight black men....or gay black women.... and so on, and so on. THAT'S what I meant, and I hope you get it now.

by Anonymousreply 202October 21, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]Billy Porter is a phenomenal singing talent as evidenced by the MANY accolades he's received for that.

He WAS a phenomenal singing talent. As I noted elsewhere, he ruined that for himself long ago by practically destroying his phenomenal singing voice through abuse.

by Anonymousreply 203October 21, 2021 4:58 PM

HELLOOOOOOO!!! 👋

What about me???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 21, 2021 11:18 PM

I still don't understand exactly what IMPORTANT MESSAGE to society a man in a dress is supposed to impart in the year 2021 (or last few years)?

It looks "stunty" and sort of giggle-worthy, but who is it helping, or informing? Honestly, it's mostly just dopey!

by Anonymousreply 205October 22, 2021 3:36 AM

You gotta have a gimmick if you want to have a chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 22, 2021 4:25 AM

R203, his singing on the last few episodes of POSE sounded like a drunk uncle belting out an old diddy at a family barbecue.

All bravado and no technique.

by Anonymousreply 207October 22, 2021 8:46 AM

"All he has to do is be white and straight"

and minimum makeup and no costume!

Someone really needs to tell Billy Porter he is overdoing it on EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 208October 22, 2021 9:02 AM

Styles is most likely bi and at least he doesn't brag endlessly like BP. Billy's new single Children has only been out a week but is already off all itunes charts. Harry has songs that are two years old on there.

by Anonymousreply 209October 22, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote]His singing on the last few episodes of POSE sounded like a drunk uncle belting out an old diddy at a family barbecue.

The word is "ditty," but your misspelling is quite amusing :-)

by Anonymousreply 210October 22, 2021 2:08 PM

It's "Diddy" motherfucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 22, 2021 2:17 PM

Ha, R211. Of course, that was my reference.

by Anonymousreply 212October 22, 2021 2:19 PM

The trans/nonbinaries of Twitter aren't happy with Billy Porter's claims. Him being a "cisgender man" means he has privilege. They think the spotlight should go to them.

Lol, See what you started Billy.

by Anonymousreply 213October 22, 2021 3:39 PM

It was once common for men to wear dresses and heels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214October 22, 2021 3:43 PM

Thirsty transvestite said WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 215October 22, 2021 3:47 PM

Bitch stole my look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 22, 2021 4:10 PM

Little toddlers and little boys wore dresses because it was easier for those charged with making their clothing, dressing them, and paying for said clothing. Plus given high infant and child mortality rates it didn't make much economic sense to lay in a supply of gender specific clothing. By nature male infants and children are less hearty than girls, so there's that as well.

This went on well into Edwardian period for some demographics, but gradually young boys/toddlers were put into short pants. Either way, dresses or short pants it was a big deal when a boy was "breeched" and got his first pair of long trousers.

Of course main reason for putting boys in gowns and dresses was toilet training. Until a child had control of his bowels and urine, and was trained what to do when nature called, it made no sense to put them into the often complicated garments modeled upon adults.

Advent of snaps, zippers, and other closures on clothing meant for both sexes gowns became less used for infants and young children. Onesies (with or without feet) became the new garment for babies and small children.

Finally another reason to ditch those long gowns was they were highly flammable. All that cotton, lace, yards of fabric could be dangerous if caught fire. In days when open fires in homes were common for heating, cooking, lighting, many infants suffered serious burns if not death from flames. Women also suffered on average more burns and or death caused by fire for same reasons; their dresses/gowns had all that fabric (think Mrs. Havisham).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 22, 2021 8:48 PM

Even if he were white and straight, Billy would never make the cover of Vogue, since he is not popular and would not sell magazines. Outside NYC, few people know who he is and fewer care.

by Anonymousreply 218October 22, 2021 9:06 PM

Vogue is an ASPIRATIONAL magazine hinged on those that perpetuate the current moment’s youth, energy and beauty, NOT especially gender or defying gender. Harry is more youthful and plays to a different, much younger demographic. The clothes (or whether its a dress or a guy wearing one) are merely props. This is just sour grapes because Indya made it onto Elle’s cover.

Billy Porter isn’t age appropriate. The blush fell off that rose long ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 24, 2021 4:34 PM

Ms. Porter seems to think her beauty and style make her a natural to be on the cover of Vogue!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 220October 24, 2021 5:01 PM

Porter is nothing but a femmy, tacky, black bitch piece of trash with Audrey Hepburn aspirations.

by Anonymousreply 221October 24, 2021 5:02 PM

"I created the conversation (about non-binary fashion)"

NO ONE else said a word about any of this until Ms. Billy Porter came onto the scene!

Deluded queen.

by Anonymousreply 222October 24, 2021 5:04 PM

Gurl, no. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 223October 24, 2021 6:58 PM

It's one thing to be critical and I do agree with him that Styles is not in any way historic - in fact, he could not be more cliched. However, it's another to try and take credit yourself when everyone knows you're full of shit. Many came before you, Billy. Go have a seat, honey.

by Anonymousreply 224October 24, 2021 7:03 PM

Billy Porter is one of those people who thinks he's MUCH more talented and important than he really is. Show business is full of these people.

by Anonymousreply 225October 24, 2021 7:07 PM

This isn't Time Magazine. It's a fashion magazine whose main goal is to sell magazines. They went with someone on their cover who will probably sell more magazines.

They do not owe Billy Porter or any other trans person anything. He of course does not like the fact that Harry Styles is more popular and more well known. That will help sell more magazines

by Anonymousreply 226October 24, 2021 8:12 PM

Does anyone has a working link to that Emmys red carpet when Laura Dern scoffs him for not knowing who her mother was? That was gold!

by Anonymousreply 227October 24, 2021 8:21 PM

*have

by Anonymousreply 228October 24, 2021 8:26 PM

Harry Styles + Billy Porter = Harry Porter

by Anonymousreply 229October 24, 2021 9:01 PM

JEALOUSY and VICTIMHOOD. American racial obsession again.

by Anonymousreply 230October 24, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] what a big fat bitter bitch

Cacophony to my ears!

by Anonymousreply 231October 25, 2021 2:24 AM

Wow the green is showing through his brown skin. Jealous gurl! He’s too FUG and not famous enough to be on the cover , sorry bitch I went there, so Vogue did what they do, they went with a magazine selling sexy famous celeb. Billy’s being a nasty jealous cunt who is pulling a race card. No need to remind us Harry Styles is white, no one cares , he’s talented and likeable and hot.

by Anonymousreply 232October 25, 2021 2:40 AM

Billy is now apologizing to Harry Styles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233November 5, 2021 7:11 PM

About time R233

by Anonymousreply 234November 5, 2021 7:15 PM

Porter, if you can not be white, at least you can be straight, you jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 235November 5, 2021 7:54 PM

Jealous old HAG!!!!

by Anonymousreply 236November 5, 2021 8:57 PM

Poor Billy, we are all so over you

by Anonymousreply 237November 5, 2021 9:39 PM

Billy Porter is grotesque.

How can he ever expect to be taken seriously?

by Anonymousreply 238November 5, 2021 9:49 PM

Addressing the controversy on Colbert’s show.

Could he be any gayer with the fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239November 5, 2021 10:06 PM

[quote]“Apparently, I’m famous now and it was a slow news day.”

Ummm, I kinda think that publicity for your idiotic remarks is JUST what you wanted. Sorry that you didn't think the attention would be so negative, bitch :-(

by Anonymousreply 240November 5, 2021 10:28 PM

To quote a wise Korean:" Stop taking! Dead skin cells are coming out of your mouth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241November 5, 2021 11:01 PM

Harry Styles is like "who the fuck is Billy Porter?"

by Anonymousreply 242November 6, 2021 2:38 AM

R239 Billy's annoying & cringy over the top antics don't make him "gay." They make him a clown who happens to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 243November 6, 2021 2:46 AM

He's a fame whore who wants headlines at all costs. Now Pose is over, so is his career. Styles has kept a dignified silence throughout.

by Anonymousreply 244November 6, 2021 7:21 AM

R244 he still has his directorial debut movie about a "hot" high school boy who falls for a transgender girl.

by Anonymousreply 245November 6, 2021 7:29 AM

Eeeeek!

Is that really what it is about? Gross but woke!

by Anonymousreply 246November 6, 2021 8:14 AM

All hot teenage boys can't wait to get that sweet transgash....

by Anonymousreply 247November 6, 2021 8:17 AM

Eeeeew! I don't know any teens wanting shit on their dicks.

by Anonymousreply 248November 6, 2021 8:23 AM

R248 they why are so many wanting to fuck girls up the ass?

by Anonymousreply 249November 6, 2021 10:17 AM

The cover of Vogue is one of the most ridiculous things ever, is a guy in a dress, period. There is no intention, there is nothing behind. He was there, they put him in a dress and that's all

by Anonymousreply 250November 6, 2021 10:22 AM

R249, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 251November 6, 2021 10:23 AM

[quote] Historic vogue cover

***Histrionic, ooops

by Anonymousreply 252November 6, 2021 10:26 AM

r31 you should know that my post at r36 has 35 likes which also means 35 hates about you.

by Anonymousreply 253November 6, 2021 12:00 PM

'He still has his directorial debut movie about a "hot" high school boy who falls for a transgender girl.'

As if that would ever happen. It was ridiculous in Pose how many hot men Angel and Mother got. I can't remember her name but she kept saying 'I'm your MOTHER' to all these kids barely younger than herself.

by Anonymousreply 254November 7, 2021 2:08 AM

I actually really respect Harry for keeping silent about this. Not feeding this famewhore troll.

by Anonymousreply 255November 7, 2021 3:13 AM

R255 I doubt Harry even cares.

by Anonymousreply 256November 7, 2021 4:17 AM

I'll be glad when Porter's 15 minutes are up. What an obnoxious and annoying asshole.

by Anonymousreply 257November 7, 2021 5:46 AM

Somebody give this clown a Xanax cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 258November 7, 2021 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!