Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most likely to secede

Which region/province/former sovereign nation do you think is most likely to secede from its current national affiliation?

All of these places have secessionist movements at work within them.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2021 1:26 AM

Quebec finds it too profitable just to threaten secession.

No clue about Catalonia or Venice.

Texas would be too complicated.

Scotland is where Quebec was forty or fifty years ago... a referendum might do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 7:30 PM

All of the Confederate States.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 7:35 PM

Itโ€™s more likely that California will secede after Trumpโ€™s back.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 7:43 PM

Texas doesn't need to secede. If pushed too far they are entitled to divide the state into a total of five states givign them ten senators.

This was almost done once but they couldn't agree who got custody of the Alamo.

[quote] New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ ๐’”๐’‰๐’‚๐’๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’†๐’๐’•๐’Š๐’•๐’๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’ ๐’‚๐’…๐’Ž๐’Š๐’”๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’ ๐’–๐’๐’…๐’†๐’“ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’‘๐’“๐’๐’—๐’Š๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’๐’” ๐’๐’‡ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐‘ญ๐’†๐’…๐’†๐’“๐’‚๐’ ๐‘ช๐’๐’๐’”๐’•๐’Š๐’•๐’–๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 8:19 PM

Scotland needs to wait for its old people to die out. The younger generations are overwhelmingly in support of a divorce from Wastemonster. Shoring up a system that still fetishises its imperial past is expensive for the devolved nations especially when they have practically no capacity to borrow, and have to be content with an unequal and unfair return on their contribution to the UK. We have been dragged out of the EU against our will, and to top it all, Boris Johnson and his race to the bottom is hardly going to encourage us to stay. The UK is a dying entity. England has made sure of that.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 8:43 PM

I can't imagine Texans consenting to give up their "second-biggest" status even if it means getting 2-8 more senators (not all of whom would be Republican, probably). In any case the wording of that resolution seems to give discretion for any such division to the Congress of the US, with the consent of Texas. And did those terms remain the same when Texas was readmitted to the US in 1870?

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 8:46 PM

Thereโ€™s talk about part of Eastern Oregon joining Idaho. Nobodyโ€™d miss โ€˜em.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 8:47 PM

I doubt that many Texans are willing to give up US citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 8:53 PM

If I could have voted for 'none', I would have. But I voted for Scotland because they're the only ones with a party in power there who can vote through a new referendum. I doubt even if they got a second one that they would win it but it's the most likely option of the ones given.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 9:08 PM

There was an interesting article not too long ago (in the NYT maybe) that predicted Northern Ireland would rejoin Ireland in less than ten years. The population studies suggest Catholics are on par with, or have a slight gain over, Protestants population wise. Theyโ€™ll know in the next census. Some counties in NI are now overwhelming Catholic. The thing is the Catholics in NI are entitled to an Irish and British passport. If they go Irish, they lose their British rights. Are they willing to do that?

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2021 12:10 AM

I don't know why they couldn't grandfather passport rights. Anybody with UK born parents or grandparents can get a UK passport. It's not like they're inventing flexibility. A united Ireland would leave Scotland as the only loud whiners in the area.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2021 12:36 AM

Northern Ireland can't secede. Scotland can and probably will but Boris Johnson won't allow another vote. Catalonia will never be allowed.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2021 12:55 AM

I got voted most likely to secede in my senior yearbook!

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2021 1:08 AM

Puerto Rico. Actually, I can see the US cutting PR loose before they'd actually want to secede.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2021 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!