Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jews & Sports

When I was a kid I played soccer and baseball with a lot of Jewish kids. Some of them were freaking incredible athletes. One jewish guy I I knew received a soccer scholarship to play for UCLA. He turned it down. Why do so many Jews drop sports after high school? Is there something in their culture that says sports aren't a viable future? Many of them go into sports broadcasting, ownership etc. Curious why they don’t coach?

by Anonymousreply 45January 5, 2022 11:33 PM

What's this then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 6:00 PM

I never heard of Gabe Kapler

I only know Gabe Kaplan

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 6:16 PM

Read up, bubala

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 6:17 PM

Oy vey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 6:22 PM

Bang the ( ) slowly

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 6:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 6:36 PM

It's not a bad question. There's a difference between athletic ability and coaching athletes who play college or professional sports. It's child abuse, at least from this jew's perspective. To develop a professional athlete, it often requires a parent who believes the sport and the child's development of skill is the most important thing on the planet. Every waking moment outside of schooling is geared towards training the skill and developing the body. If an adult wants to do this to themselves outside of their job, fine. But to do that to a child? It's abusive. Middle america and texas specifically haven't caught up to this concept.

It also requires a lot of parental involvement and obsession. Jews don't think its worth abusing your child, possibly destroying their brains and bodies, so that they could be the 1 in 10,000 who has a professional sports career (that can be ended with a single injury that is not the kid's fault).

I knew a girl who trained for the olympics in ice skating. She gave it up after high school and hasn't been on the ice in years--and that's a recreational activity. She wasn't forced by her parents, she wanted to do it at the time, but maybe her parents lack of insanity and refusal to abuse their child is why she didn't succeed.

Read about Jackie Chan's development as a martial artist. He was abused with a rigorous training regimen that started around age 3. Forced to do repetitive motions thousands of times with great physical pain involved. That's how he can do such crazy stunts--his entire conscious life, he has been getting hurt. His brain knows how to turn off pain.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 7:09 PM

I'm r7 and I forgot to mention that to develop a child athlete, the parents need to be obsessed as well. The cost is often very high and the time commitment it takes on behalf of the parent to create a professional athlete is all consuming. It is more important than their own careers or social lives. Just like the child, it is all they are focused on.

The girl I knew who ice skated--she wasn't driving herself to the ice rink so she could be skating by 5am. And she then wasn't driving herself to school two hours later. Think of what it does to your life when you need to be out of the house by 4:30 am and then sit in a freezing cold ice arena (or in your car in better weather months). By the time you get to work at 8am, you've been going for 4 hours. You'll probably be asleep by 8pm. Imagine what that does to the social life of the average suburbanite. Imagine what it does to this adult's own career advancement. And the cost is up to tens of thousands of dollars per year. For what? Im glad this (now woman) realized she didn't want to pursue pro or olympic skating. Think of what her parents gave up in terms of time and money to entertain this when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 7:15 PM

There are plenty of Jewish athletes OP

There just aren't all that many pro athletes in general.

Basketball is largely a height game--if you're 5'8" there's not much you can do.

Football is largely a weight game - easy to be a linebacker if you weigh 300lbs

Which leaves baseball, soccer and hockey for average sized men (not just Jews) with lots of athletic ability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 7:18 PM

And the Israeli National Baseball team, which is comprised mostly of former American Jewish college players. came in fifth place at the 2021 Olympics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 7:19 PM

There's also the Maccabiah Games which are sort of like the Jewish Olympics.

My cousin was on the

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 7:23 PM

I, a Jew, had a Catholic friend who didn’t understand why I seemed to take a greater interest in Jewish athletes. He would point out that he didn’t take any particular notice of Catholic athletes. He didn’t seem to appreciate how rare the successful Jew in sports was.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 7:24 PM

R12- Do you have anything light?

How about this leaflet Famous Jewish Sports Legends.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 7:29 PM

LOL, R13, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread’s title

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 7:31 PM

14 posts and no mention of this guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 7:44 PM

Max Kellerman (born August 6, 1973) is an American sports television personality and boxing commentator. He is currently the host of This Just In with Max Kellerman on ESPN. Kellerman is active in Jewish cultural activities and, according to The Forward and the Yiddish Book Center, speaks Yiddish.[

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 8:19 PM

Who can forget... Howard, "Look at that monkey go", Cosell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 8:25 PM

David Beckham is Jewishish.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 8:36 PM

r13 it's better to have the clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 9:25 PM

R7 Incredible insight my friend. It does take a certain obsession to develop an athlete. There are definitely parents that take it way too far…def abuse. It also depends on the environment you grow up in.. ie Texas. I have a jewish friend that played hockey from age 5-20. Lol - missing teeth etc. He grew up in Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 10:13 PM

R7 Interesting perspective and I'm inclined to agree. One very odd thing I have noticed about people who go 100 percent into competitive sports ( swimming. Lacrosse, gymnastics) from an early age and stick to it is that they seem to have either a strange blandness or arrested development later on.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 10:40 PM

Because we have so many other talents to rely on. Why do sports when we can just as easily become brain surgeons and CEOs?

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 10:54 PM

From a Jewish perspective, there’s a very small chance you’ll be successful as an athlete. But a very good chance you’ll be successful as doctor, lawyer, etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 10:58 PM

Jews don't like to sweat, which is why they hire someone else to do it for them.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 11:01 PM

I'm not sure what Gabe Kapler is doing at R1 if he's not sweating at least a little.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 11:12 PM

Sweating is not the problem. It’s standing a field with a bunch of guys with whistles barking orders at us.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 11:16 PM

What am I, chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 11:16 PM

For the most part, Jews are moving on with business, whatever the business may be. They don't plan to make sports a career...or they don't consider it a career. There are exceptions, but as I said--for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 11:17 PM

Who needs the aggravation?

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote] Jews don't like to sweat

If that were the case why move to Florida?

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2021 11:25 PM

R30. The Jews aren't digging ditches in Florida. There are escaping the winters of the Northeast and New England.

The Jews are sitting in air-conditioned delis having lunch and complaining about traffic and their monthly condo association fees.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2021 11:37 PM

Sports are dangerous- Just let one kid fall down and seven mothers faint.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2021 11:40 PM

[quote] The Jews are sitting in air-conditioned delis having lunch and complaining about traffic and their monthly condo association fees.

It’s like an oven in here!

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2021 11:42 PM

WRONG. Jews love a good shvitz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2021 11:48 PM

A Jew in Miami: "You need an air conditioner? I can get it for you wholesale."

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2021 11:50 PM

A rugby teammate of mine made the US team for the Maccabi games. He is so hot. One of the most beautiful men I’ve ever seen. And he wrestled in college. Such a beautiful hairy chest and ass.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2021 11:55 PM

Actually, before World War Two boxing was a "Jewish Sport" ; both boxers and fans. For the immigrant generation Andrews, their newly born American children, it was a way to earn money and get out of tough inner city neighborhoods. Google Barney Ross (also a war hero) and Benny Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2021 12:08 AM

I love a sexy hot hairy Jewish man, Tony Dokoupil, Oliver Jackson Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2021 1:55 AM

I am sure many DLers jerked off to this Jewish gymnast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2021 2:31 AM

Olympian Aly Raisman did her winning floor routine to the tune of "Have Nagila"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2021 2:33 AM

Barry did JV tennis his sophomore year at Horace Mann.

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2021 2:56 AM

I assume most Jews are too smart for sports.

Either way, they’re hot as hell. Second only to Brits and other Northern Europeans. I love a gorgeous Jew with a thick piece of meat between his legs. Oh god do I love the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2021 3:02 AM

Why not? They can just take a shower.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2021 3:55 AM

I wrote r7 but just a reminder, that you might see someone with incredible natural ability, but any of these sports is a SKILL that requires the athlete's entire life to center around playing the sport. Their sleep schedule, diet, every moment outside of legally required schooling/studying, is about training. They often have few close relationships because they practically spend more time at the training facility than they do at home (including hours of sleep). And you're not talking about adults, you're talking about teenagers and pre-teens most of the time. We now recognize this as child abuse. No child should even have the right to commit to a life schedule like that.

by Anonymousreply 44January 5, 2022 8:14 PM

Black athletes don't want Jews as team mates.

by Anonymousreply 45January 5, 2022 11:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!