Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it wrong that I want only gay friends?

People act like it’s strange. I’m tired of straight people and their problems.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 5:58 PM

Where do gay men even find friends? All the sites and apps are strictly for hookups. So where does a gay man find people to do regular non-sexual stuff with?

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2022 2:09 AM

[quote]I’m tired of straight people and their problems.

Makes total sense. Gay men are completely drama-free.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2022 2:23 AM

It must be asked. OP, are you a frau. I've heard straight women say similar things.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2022 2:26 AM

I'm working on a project that will take me on a multiple-month business trip and there is absolutely no way that I will take along a straight assistant.

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2022 2:28 AM

I'm tired of EVERYONE'S problems.

But it doesn't make me a social-ghetto hider.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2022 2:46 AM

Taking along an "assistant," R4? Young, handsome, and fit, no doubt. I'm sure you'll have fun with the "interview" process... ;)

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2022 3:51 AM

R6 - Yes, yes, and yes. They make better sales people, and they also handle any video-based media interviews because nobody wants to see my ugly face. And, no, never have, never will.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2022 7:45 PM

Straights segregate themselves from gays all the time, so why can't OP do the same?

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2022 8:31 PM

I don't have any lesbian friends. Plus, I've met exactly three gay people since I moved here to Deplorable Haven FL, and they're all rabid Trumpers (sigh). But even when I lived in an urban area with more than a few lesbians, I was never able to make any lesbian friends. It's like there's some kind of coded lesbian behavior that I never quite "got." It seems that there's a certain way you're supposed to act if you're a lesbian, and I just can't do it. Or as a therapist told me many long years ago, "You place a very high value on being your authentic self." And it's true -- I used to joke that I couldn't pretend to be someone I'm not even for a 20-minute job interview. WYSIWYG!

But I think it's served me well in life for the most part. Yeah, I've shot myself in the foot many times over, but the people who like me like me for exactly who I am -- and if they don't like me, fuck 'em.

Of course, I can say that now that I'm retired.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2022 8:50 PM

there's nothing wrong with that OP

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2022 9:15 PM

All my friends are gay! ALL! MY! FRIENDS! ARE! GAY!

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2022 10:06 PM

Not strange, OP. Actually, I can relate-- I only want sensual heterosexual girlfriends. To each his own.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2022 10:15 PM

Why are you worried about it? Choose friends you like, and hopefully like you too.

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2022 10:15 PM

Senior lesbian @ r9, I've noticed your signed posts lately. Post more!

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2022 10:16 PM

I’m tired of gay people and their problems.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2022 10:19 PM

We have a few straight couples and one gay couple with whom we socialize. The straights get upset when I tell them I don’t want to go to places that are too heterosexual. The gay couple we see are homebodies and it’s hard to get them out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2022 10:32 PM

OP I asked you a fkin question.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2022 10:35 PM

Oh, honey- we're not your friends.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2022 11:25 PM

am i the only one here that honestly hates other gay people and finds them loathsome whiny tedious dissolute bitchy and hard to please?

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2022 2:39 PM

The feeling is mutual, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2022 3:57 PM

Too many gay friends and you'll end up sounding and acting like a mincing flamer.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2022 4:00 PM

R16 What are these places that are 'too heterosexual?' Are they asking you to hang out at the Chick-Fil-A?

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2022 4:05 PM

Sounds discriminatory, R4. Hope you've lawyered up.

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2022 4:06 PM

I would certainly hesitate or resist saying this to someone out of the blue, but as you've asked OP...Yes, indeed I find this to be an odd and unhealthy choice, for various reasons.

I don't really find that the straight people close to me have more problems, or more annoying problems than gay people. Could it be that you simply know many highly annoying people?

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2022 5:45 PM

When I ask you a fkin question OP, you answer me.

Do you hear me?

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2022 5:52 PM

R23 - Somehow, I don't think there are going to be any complainers.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote]Too many gay friends and you'll end up sounding and acting like a mincing flamer.

Could you put a little more effort into your trolling, please? I'm embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2022 10:51 PM

R21 faulty logic!

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 4:42 PM

I don't think it's strange at all. Gay people have to unpack the homophobia that pervades the dominant culture. Straight people often never have to unpack it, challenge their own biases that lurk underneath "tolerance."

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2022 4:45 PM

Post divorce and pre-covid I developed a totally gay friend network. I joined my local gay men's chorus, as well as an all gay volunteer group. Met people through those activities and started getting invited to parties. One couple had a regular standing cocktail party on Fridays that all the connected local gays would attend. This was all in Southern California. I've recently moved to Idaho and trying to figure out how to rebuild my homosocial network here. There're no gay male orgs near me, the closest are umbrella LGBTQIA%$! groups which seem to be dominated by women. I'm certain the gays around here are having pool parties and get togethers just have to meet the right folks to get invited.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2022 7:21 PM

I knew a guy who would only patronize gay doctors, dentists, and lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2022 7:32 PM

I don't find it wrong, but I do find it rather sad. Trust me OP, there are lots of very gay friendly straight men out there and they make wonderful friends. My #1 best friend is a straight man and both of his children are my godchildren. And before his wife died I was also very close to her.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2022 7:48 PM

Fag hag alert!

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 7:48 PM

Which is why you spend time hanging out on a gay message board r19...

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 8:07 PM

I know many gay men here in NY who only have gay friends, they don't really interact with straight people outside of work and family.

I mean there are many straight guys where all their friends are straight guys. There is nothing crazy about it.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2022 8:09 PM

Is this even unusual? Gay people are smarter and funnier.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2022 8:15 PM

OP I want a fkin answer.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2022 8:17 PM

[quote]Gay people are smarter and funnier.

You haven't met many gay people, have you? I have, and I can 100% verify that there are many MANY gay people that are boring and witless. It's only on this site that I can really find smart gays.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2022 8:20 PM

[quote]You haven't met many gay people, have you?

Sorry. What I meant to say is that gay people are smarter and funnier except for you and your friends.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2022 8:32 PM

It’s disgusting if you ask me

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2022 8:33 PM

This is the downside of the modern discourse around identity and celebrating who you are and your differences. That's all wise and true but some people take it to the extremes and decide to make one characteristic about themselves their entire personality. And then they end up segregating themselves from people in other groups based on caricatures and stereotypes of what THOSE groups are like.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2022 8:42 PM

R41 except straight guys usually are as terrible as we stereotype them as... I really wonder what world you live in

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 5:54 PM

Nope. Nothing wrong with all gay friends.

But it could close you off to some really awesome friendships with some heterosexuals.

We aren’t all cunts.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 5:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!