Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Colin Powell/Covid

He died of complications of Covid, despite being fully vaccinated. How does this even happen? Lacked a booster? Or underlying co-morbidities? Sad and scarey.

by Anonymousreply 157October 21, 2021 5:31 AM

OLD.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 12:39 PM

He had multiple myeloma for the last few years. I would imagine he got very sick (maybe not on a ventilator) which weakened him enough to kill him. It was obviously a break through case, but I wonder how severe it was. Or he was just one of those unlucky people who got a sever case even though vaccinated (maybe because his immune system was compromised from chemo treatments).

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 12:41 PM

He is 84. It sucks, but it happens. He is not the first vaccinated elderly person to still die. Why boosters were recommended for elderly.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 12:41 PM

If you get a breakthrough case (even if young), you may still have symptoms. Those symptoms can be dangerous if you’re old with comorbididies.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 12:43 PM

Older vaccinated people were always at higher risk than younger vaccinated people. There was still around 8% risk of death for the elderly, more if they were in states with lower overall vaccination rates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 12:44 PM

Colin Powell was a war criminal who was a key player in the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. Covid has killed one in 500 Americans. So their proportional national kill rates may be pretty even at this point.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 12:49 PM

he was older than dirt, and lied to the UN, so there you go

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 12:53 PM

Does his Covid-related death, at 84, lower the average age of those succumbing to the virus?

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 1:18 PM

R7 Though at least he was man enough to admit later that he lied, was ashamed of what he had done, that it was a blot on his career and his deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 1:20 PM

"According to an analysis of British data by the Financial Times, a vaccinated 80-year-old has about the same mortality risk as an unvaccinated 50-year-old."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 1:25 PM

OP, your headline should have been "***Breaking*** Collin Powel is dead".

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote] How does this even happen?

OP, you're the (early) leader in the DL clubhouse for the most uninformed comment of the day.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 1:36 PM

R2 is correct. Chemo destroys your immune system. And honestly, I have to wonder how careful he was. Everyone says they're "careful" but they have their own version of "careful." My mother got her Pfizer booster, and she still wears a mask in public, and tries to avoid large groups as much as possible. She stopped going to church. Goes to the grocery when fewer people shop. Went to the movies early one weekday afternoon, and shocked me with that but she said 3 people were there and all had masks on. Elderly people and Cancer survivors have to keep being extra careful.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote]s correct. Chemo destroys your immune system.

My mom took immunosuppressant drugs (due to a liver transplant), so that coupled with her numerous other health problems meant she likely would not have survived COVID, with or without the vaccine. Likewise, Powell probably had other issues (kidney failure, maybe?) that weakened him to such an extent that COVID was the knock out blow

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 1:51 PM

He was a lying sack of shit. Rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 2:31 PM

His uncle tom family just posted on Facebook that he was "fully vaccinated" and developed complications after the death jab last week. Aren't modern vaccines great. Good riddance to an absolute scum.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 2:37 PM

Powell also had multiple myeloma.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 2:43 PM

What is “the death jab”?

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 2:46 PM

R18 it's any vaccine.

--Robert F. Kennedy, Jr, currently orating in Time Square about his lack of freedom of speech

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 2:53 PM

84 and cancer. You do want you can, but it’s the end of the line in any case.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 2:56 PM

^^what

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 2:57 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 3:04 PM

Military Industrial Complex Pontius Pilate

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 3:06 PM

Bullshit. Admitting "the intel was faulty" is not saying I lied so 150,000 people could die and I'd get a seat on the board of Bloom Energy Corp.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 3:15 PM

"He's so articulate" = He's a house Ni**a

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 3:16 PM

🙈🙉🙊

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 3:17 PM

The whole fault for the Iraq war lies with Tony Blair who pushed Dubya into it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 3:18 PM

They all lied. IME his hand was forced for 2 reasons the first was to assure the American public who trusted him. He was a reasonable Republican. Also, the GOP was able to make him a scapegoat which tanked his reputation making sure that he would not run for the presidency. Without that public lie he would have made a formidable candidate and the GOP couldn't have that.

I watched his testimony live and you could tell he didn't believe it. You could see he was an honest man not used to lying.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 3:24 PM

The cards were stacked against Powell. He was in his 80s, and battling a type of cancer that attacked the very thing he needed to resist a viral invasion. Having a "cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response" put him in dire straits. In his case, being vaccinated just wasn't enough. His immune system was shot already.

[quote] when we try and convince young people who feel that they are low risk from the virus itself why they need to be vaccinated, it’s to protect our treasures, our people like general Powell, our grandparents, because while, you know, a 25-year-old may do quite well with the infection, if they spread it to someone like General Powell, they will not. That is the imperative for vaccination in this country

The above quote from Dr. Jonathan Reiner, CNN's medical analyst, is the metaphorical nucleic core of the argument for being vaccinated. It's incomprehensible that so many people have conflated mandatory vaccination with their constitutional freedoms being violated, when it's nothing of the sort.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 3:42 PM

i wonder how he got the virus. He should have stayed home. Maybe he got it when someone visited him...

either way RIP.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2021 3:44 PM

😷 Nobody Knows Nothin'Bout The Corona Virus

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2021 3:47 PM

Rumor has it that McConnell has multiple myeloma as well.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2021 3:49 PM

R27 What am I chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2021 3:54 PM

R28 A useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2021 3:55 PM

“He could admit mistakes. This was another example of his integrity.” Comment just now from the current Secretary of State, intoning on TV. Mhm.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]he was "fully vaccinated" and developed complications after the death jab last week

The vaccine takes two weeks to take full effect, and it does lose efficacy after a period of months. So "fully vaccinated" is relative. It's not a guarantee of immortality.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2021 3:57 PM

R28, his hand was not forced. And he had choices. But he was so caught up in the political games and so impressed with his own success he decided to "play the game," go along, extract his rewards. Of course decades of following orders, and demonstrating his willingness to clean up inconvenient messes certainly helped prepared him. But hey, he looked great in a uniform and he really was "articulate."

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2021 3:57 PM

This is a lesson to all uncle Toms, whitey will gladly let you fight his battles for him but don’t ever thing that you’re in the club. They will always make you the patsy.

Pay attention Tim Scott. There is no glory in treachery.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2021 3:58 PM

Cause vaccines are a joke?

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2021 3:59 PM

R28 " You could see he was an honest man not used to lying"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2021 4:00 PM

R39 needs to wrap himself in a smallpox blanket

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote]What is “the death jab”?

In the opposite world of anti-vaxxers, diseases like Covid, measles, smallpox, tetanus, rubella and polio are perfectly harmless and anyone who takes precautions against them is a Godless communist.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 4:01 PM

Consistently opposed gays serving in the military. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 4:02 PM

"He could admit mistakes. This was another example of his integrity."

Been There Done That

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 4:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2021 4:03 PM

R44 If only I had admitted my mistakes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2021 4:05 PM

Multiple myeloma is an incurable disease. Even if he was in remission, many of the current drugs can do a number on your immune system.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote]Cheney is next

I'd prefer Stephen Miller at this point.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 4:14 PM

OP's post seems disengenuous, because anyone with half a brain knows that the vaccine doesn't make you immune to the virus or even death from the virus, as every scientist, the CDC, etc. has been saying all year. It greatly reduces the chance of death, but you can still get sick and die from Covid-19.

So I think this is just a troll post from some right winger anti-vaxxer or paid agitator.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 4:17 PM

Why do these death threads always get filled up with people like r43 who think that a person is entirely worthless due to a stance on one issue they disagree with? It's that sort of demonization where you don't see the other side as human that leads to atrocities.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 4:19 PM

R49, I really am embarrassed for these people for how they just embrace their ignorance. Same morons who are the reason "global warming" had to be changed to "climate change."

They ignore the thousands of unvaccinated who died from covid to point to the anomaly.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote] If you get a breakthrough case (even if young), you may still have symptoms.

Some people say you have a 50% chance of getting a breakthrough infection even if young, and with Delta the symptoms are very bad, and also you have a 50% chance of dying from long Covid or living in misery for the rest of your life. And also if you have an asymptomatic breakthrough infection you can still kill thousands of people.

That’s what some people say.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 4:23 PM

Then it’s not a vaccine, r49.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 4:24 PM

R53, you're quite the simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2021 4:29 PM

The Extremely Woke are on Twitter calling him a war criminal and are very proud of themselves for calling a Black person a War Criminal as it indicated they are antiracist

Or something.

It's only a few hundred people no one pays attention to

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2021 4:32 PM

R54, it’s a therapeutic, not a vaccine. And, clearly, it doesn’t work as well as everyone hoped. The failure to admit that and promote regimens that can work is becoming increasingly obvious. It’s ironically appropriate that Powell’s death is bringing this to the fore.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote]The failure to admit that and promote regimens that can work is becoming increasingly obvious.

This guy again.

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2021 4:38 PM

Powell exemplifies, IMO the tendency a lot of people have, especially in leadership positions, where they go along to get along and feed their own ambition, and making compromises, even to doing things they know are wrong, or dishonest, yet, they always believe they are people of integrity, and when that "right moment" comes along they will do the "right" thing. They temporize, thinking of themselves as "Pragmatic" and that they have had to make "tough choices" but never acknowledge the soul-rotting corruption they enable as the disease it is. Just look at today's GOP. Look at all the whores in Congress, and our court system, our business leaders. Powell helped bring us to the point we are at, yet he would be shocked and surprised, even angry if anyone ever suggested he did. He worked for Reagan. He always knew the line was shorter to get ahead if you were the "right kind' and damn if he didn't step out of Central Casting.

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2021 4:43 PM

R16 - A source familiar with the matter said Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response. Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, those who are immunocompromised are at greater risk from the virus.

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2021 4:44 PM

1) Therapeutics wouldn’t have saved him. Anyone in his condition would’ve died from Covid, regardless of vax status or available therapeutics.

2) There is no point in relitigating the Iraq War or his involvement in it. It has been done to death and his death doesn’t change anything. Nothing new can be wrung out of this.

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2021 4:52 PM

R48...What am I? Chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2021 4:55 PM

According to statistics cited on Worldometer, we're nearing 1 in 400 Americans dead, mostly as a result of people who either got Covid before vaccines were available to them or who had what they thought were excellent reasons not to get them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2021 5:03 PM

Ahhh Steven Miller. The non-white white supremacists. So basically he believes that he himself is inferior to actual white people. How do sickos like him get so messed up? Stay off of face book people.

Never could get my head around that one.

by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2021 5:07 PM

In terms of vaccines "breakthrough cases" is new language created just for this vaccine. Before this shitshow of a plandemic if a vaccine failed to do its job it was called a "vaccine failure".

These vaccines don't fucking work but how much of a sunken cost fallacy are they going to endure before it is ever recognized? Some of my more conspiratorial friends would say on the contrary, these vaccines are working exactly as they're supposed to.

I fucking hated that term since the moment I heard it. Color me shocked that it’s new language for the Covid vaxx!

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2021 5:08 PM

RIP Colin Powell!

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2021 5:08 PM

r28, from the Daily Beast today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2021 5:11 PM

There is nothing complicated about being an Uncle Tom sell-out. This goes back to the slave days. It’s not a new thing.

They have a choice. They can take the hard road like Fredrick Douglas and Harriet Tubman and MLK or they can take the easy road.

But little do they know, the “easy” road is one paved in fool’s gold, as Colin found out.

That is the way it goes.

by Anonymousreply 67October 18, 2021 5:12 PM

R64.

He Knows Things Other People Don't Know.

So Stop Thinking You Are Better Than Him Because You Went To Some Fancy Pants College

He Did His Research

by Anonymousreply 68October 18, 2021 5:19 PM

It's exhausting how stupid people are, Vaccines, when released, were never described as 100% effective (both Pfizer and Moderna are 94% effective). That's how vaccines are. And Powell was old, with cancer and its treatments, that lower immunity.

Yet folks are bloviating "oh, vaccines must not work!!" 99% of covid deaths now are among the unvaccinated. Not... really.... hard... to... figure... this.... out.

by Anonymousreply 69October 18, 2021 5:20 PM

R56, then no vaccine is a vaccine because everything called a vaccine has had some people for whom it was not effective - they're called side effects.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2021 5:26 PM

"You're not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations."

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2021 5:56 PM

The vaccines work. Period. They do exactly what they were intended to do 99% of the time. Or 90% of the time. WTF. Powell had myeloma. It is a cancer of the blood which attacks the plasma, and destroys the immune system. And Chemo? Destroys the immune system. Now it is the frail, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems that are most vulnerable. THEY are the reason the rest of us get vaccinated and wear masks. Because if you are 30 and in decent health, your ability to successfully fight the virus is great. But if you refuse to get vaxed or mask, you will expose those who cannot fight it. So you might be OK, but you grandmother won't be. Stop with this shit. I am fucking sick of the way this pandemic and everything connected to it has been politicized and used to weaken and disrupt us.

by Anonymousreply 72October 18, 2021 6:00 PM

I'm still hoping for the 'rona to take Allen West to the great beyond.

by Anonymousreply 73October 18, 2021 6:01 PM

I had no idea Powell started his political career under Nixon. Yeah, he's been one of them for a long time starting out as a White House Fellow for Tricky.

by Anonymousreply 74October 18, 2021 6:08 PM

God, yes, R73. What a pile of shit he is. He's literally Stephen from Django Unchained.

by Anonymousreply 75October 18, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote]it’s a therapeutic, not a vaccine.

Good luck with your quest to advance "flu therapeutic" as an accepted term.

by Anonymousreply 76October 18, 2021 6:30 PM

His son benefited from daddy's connections by becoming head of the FCC

by Anonymousreply 77October 18, 2021 6:48 PM

R53 if you are interested at all in learning why you're wrong, here's something to digest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 18, 2021 6:55 PM

R71 if that is a real quote, he was dumbing it down, for people like you. Who are clearly dumb. You're acting like a petulant toddler, yet are presumably a grown man.

by Anonymousreply 79October 18, 2021 6:57 PM

Yes, Powell encouraged the Iraq invasion but at least he wasn't a Trump sycophant, so there's that.

And he was talking about how Michael Flynn could be recalled (since he was an officer) and be immediately thrown in the brig. Why hasn't this happened yet???

by Anonymousreply 80October 18, 2021 7:10 PM

R71 Like R79 say, "you're not going to get a measles if you get the vaccine" is sort of a standard thing to say. Is said in school office everywhere where vaccine records are required. But measles vaccine is 93% effective. Mumps vaccine is 78% effective.

Covid vaccine is more effective than measles and mumps vaccines.... none are 100% effective.

Science and reason are your friends, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 18, 2021 7:11 PM

For example, according to an archived snapshot of the CDC’s website, the definition of a vaccine February 24, 2011, was:7

“A product that produces immunity therefore protecting the body from the disease. Vaccines are administered through needle injections, by mouth and by aerosol.”

By July 2015, the wording had changed to:8

“A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but can also be administered by mouth or sprayed in the nose.”

The wording was the same in June 20179 and likewise in June 201910 and June 2020.11 By August 26, 2021,12 however, the definition had changed slightly to add the words “to produce immunity”:13

“A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections but can also be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.”

Then, less than a week later, just days after the FDA gave final approval to Pfizer’s mRNA jab, the definition changed again, September 1, 2021 — this time, significantly. The definition of a vaccine now reads:14

“A preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but some can be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.”

As you’ll note, the second sentence remains the same. It is the first part of the definition that has dramatically changed. In the latest definition, a vaccine:

Is no longer a “product” but instead is a “preparation”

No longer directly stimulates the immune response, but is used to stimulate the system

Does not produce immunity

Stimulates the immune response against diseases, not against a specific disease

No longer protects a person from the disease

These dramatic changes were likely created to allow the CDC, FDA and other governmental agencies to call the genetic therapy experiment being administered worldwide a “vaccine” — while they knew full well the so-called “vaccine” was not created to either produce immunity or prevent transmission of disease. In fact, by any definition of a vaccine in use before 2021, this jab is not a vaccine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 18, 2021 7:15 PM

I understand he also smoked a lot, cigarettes and cigars, which can definitely engender complications.

by Anonymousreply 83October 18, 2021 7:17 PM

I'm guessing he was in bad condition and the virus just finished him off. Even though he's been out of the public eye, I was just thinking about him yesterday, and his iconic line about Bill Clinton "still dicking bimbos."

by Anonymousreply 84October 18, 2021 7:20 PM

[quote]Science and reason are your friends, really.

Unfortunately, he and his ilk consider them mortal enemies.

by Anonymousreply 85October 18, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] Color me shocked that it’s new language for the Covid vaxx!

Post after post talking about the Covid vaccines. NONE of them are vaccines as we have always understood the term.

In September the CDC very quietly redefined the terms vaccine and vaccination.

Before the change, the definition for “vaccination” read, “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease.” Now, the word “immunity” has been switched to “protection.”

The term “vaccine” also got a makeover. The CDC’s definition changed from “a product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease” to the current “a preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases.”

What was good enough for world medical science since 1798 wasn't good enough for Joe and Fauci. Move the goalposts and declare victory.

by Anonymousreply 86October 18, 2021 8:44 PM

[quote]Post after post talking about the Covid vaccines. NONE of them are vaccines as we have always understood the term.

Strange, we've been referring to the "flu vaccine" since the 1940s and everyone understood that it didn't confer absolute immunity. Except you, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 87October 18, 2021 8:54 PM

R86, a village is missing its idiot.

by Anonymousreply 88October 18, 2021 10:07 PM

The vaccine doesn't prevent contracting the virus, just greatly reducing your chances of grave illness or death. Like seatbelts, it doesn't necessarily provide 100% protection.

by Anonymousreply 89October 18, 2021 10:36 PM

It's called a flu shot not a flu vaccine. A flu shot is is proven it's not something they mess around with every year and give you something different. Oh, wait, what? Never mind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Also bear in mind that he got his 2nd dose in February according to CNN, so it's not as protective as now in October.

by Anonymousreply 91October 18, 2021 11:57 PM

My mom is 84 and has blood cancer. She's on some awesome (expensive) drugs that render her nearly symptom-free. She shops, cleans the house, gardens, mows grass. No one can tell she has terminal cancer.

She is vaccinated and so far has avoided Covid.

by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2021 12:07 AM

It depends on which vaccine r91. Moderna is still going pretty strong.

by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2021 12:12 AM

" Why do these death threads always get filled up with people like [R43] who think that a person is entirely worthless due to a stance on one issue they disagree with? "

Just calling a spade a spade R50

by Anonymousreply 94October 19, 2021 12:36 AM

I think for the rest of my life I'm going to refer to him as Covid Powell. It's just stuck in my head now.

by Anonymousreply 95October 19, 2021 12:40 AM

He got the Pfizer vax.

by Anonymousreply 96October 19, 2021 12:53 AM

Look. Do not let the Media bullshit, the imaging and that personality, his rectitude, his clean cut, mild mannered, "professional" image fool you. It seems like all of us are fucking brain dead when the Media starts their propaganda machine. When someone affirms that Powell was "against Gays in the Military" think about what that meant. Think of the decades of persecution and harm that policy did to thousands of men...and women. And think of the lives lost and forever changed by the Iraq War. Civilian deaths, too.

The audacity of people like Powell and Cheney both sickens and incenses me that they can go on TV and peddle their lies and smile and sit there calmly, and they have caused death and destruction and destroyed lives, and it is all "overlooked." He's no better than Cheney, or Rumsfeld, or Stephen Miller and even Trump. They are all cut from the same cloth. Colin Powell was a 100% pure Republican POS going all the way back to Nixon. Yes. Nixon, Reagan and the Bushes. So yeah, it matters what R43 said. I'm not watching any news right now because it sickens me to watch them lionize him. He was a POS.

by Anonymousreply 97October 19, 2021 12:56 AM

R84. Did he really say that? I guess he was falsely confident no one would discover him Emailing his Romanian diplomat crush.

by Anonymousreply 98October 19, 2021 1:16 AM

R50. A valid point in general, but what was this man known for other than his promotion of the Second Gulf War and opposition to gays in the military? That’s really all that is memorable about him and those are not particularly flattering memories.

by Anonymousreply 99October 19, 2021 1:29 AM

All these guys dying before we learn the truth about 9/11. Rumsfeld, Powell... next Cheney?

by Anonymousreply 100October 19, 2021 1:45 AM

I feel somehow sad about this, because I think Powell was not innately a bad person (unlike Trump and his gang); and I think his life was a series of increasingly corrupt and tragic decisions that led him away from who he could actually have been.

If that makes sense.

I think, personally, it's a bit hard for me, a white dude of a subsequent generation, to 100% judge a black dude of his generation.

And his end must have been painful, while Trump and Bannon and Stone are all still with us.

That said, no arguing with the numbers of the dead as given above.

by Anonymousreply 101October 19, 2021 1:53 AM

Sometime around 2011 or so, Colin Powell was being interviewed for a morning news program either about his opinion on some then current news event, or he was promoting a book or something.

So right in the middle of the interview for no apparent reason, Powell starts sing/talking the lyrics to Call Me Maybe to the female anchor interviewing him. I think he either performed the entire song,or most of it. It was a supremely WTF moment.

And all I could think of was, he's hitting on this woman who basically can't really react to it, in front of millions of people including his wife if she was watching.

So the news program played it like, wow, that Colin Powell really knows pop culture.

As opposed to, wow, that Colin Powell is a creepy perv.

by Anonymousreply 102October 19, 2021 1:57 AM

He was born in the Bronx, grew up in Harlem, went to a city college and rose up the ranks, he did very well for himself.

RIP

by Anonymousreply 103October 19, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote] He was born in the Bronx, grew up in Harlem, went to a city college and rose up the ranks, he did very well for himself.

He was born in the Bronx, grew up in Harlem, went to a city college and rose up the ranks, he did very well for himself as an Oreo.

by Anonymousreply 104October 19, 2021 5:10 AM

While still a major Powell helped defend Earth from the aliens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 19, 2021 5:15 AM

He sang it to Gayle King.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 19, 2021 6:35 AM

Finding the official Colin Powell death thread was exhausting. DL can be exhausting.

People need to prove they can do a fucking search on DL before they can start posting on here.

They need to be banned for repeat threads, especially after the fourth or fifth one (There were at least eight death threads).

So childish: "I want to be FIRST!", "It's NOT official unless it's titled 'Dead to Me' thread"; etc

I knew the intelligence on WMD in Iraq was horse-shit at the time, particularly how it was all being rushed, but Powell was more qualified, so ...

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 107October 19, 2021 11:05 AM

Donald Rumsfeld and Colin Powell died only 4months apart. And they both had myeloma.

by Anonymousreply 108October 19, 2021 11:27 AM

RIP dear General

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 19, 2021 12:00 PM

Colin Powell had multiple myeloma and had been receiving treatment for it.

The Covid-19 vaccine does not give anyone complete immunity from the disease. Powell's system -- already weakened from cancer and its treatment -- could not weather an assault on it -- vaccinated or not.

This is why it's still necessary to wear masks. Unknowingly, as a vaccinated person I might still have little or no symptoms of Covid and pas that along to a person like Powell -- one receiving treatment for cancer. It could be deadly.

by Anonymousreply 110October 19, 2021 12:14 PM

OP already knew that Powell was fucked prior to catching COVID. YAWN

by Anonymousreply 111October 19, 2021 12:47 PM

Colin Powell told Bob Woodward ‘don’t feel sorry for me’ in final interview

Colin Powell, the nation’s first black secretary of state, who died Monday as a result of complications from COVID-19, said not to “feel sorry” for him in what is believed to be his final interview.

“I’ve got multiple myeloma cancer, and I’ve got Parkinson’s disease. But otherwise I’m fine,” the former White House national security adviser told journalist Bob Woodward in a phone interview on July 12.

“Don’t feel sorry for me, for God’s sakes! I’m [84] years old. I haven’t lost a day of life fighting these two diseases. I’m in good shape,” he added, the veteran scribe wrote in the Washington Post.

Powell was fully vaccinated against the virus but had been treated over the past few years for multiple myeloma — a type of blood cancer that can limit the body’s ability to fight infection, according to his longtime aide.

The retired four-star general, who also was the first black chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, described his visits to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

“I have to get all kinds of exams and I’m a former chairman, so they don’t want to lose me, so they make me come there all the time. I’ve taken lots of exams and I get there on my own. I drive up in my Corvette, get out of the Corvette and go into the hospital,” Woodward quoted him as saying.

“I also go to a clinic to get the blood tests taken. I don’t advertise it but most of my friends know it,” Powell reportedly added.

In the interview, Woodward also asked Powell about President Biden’s decision to withdraw all US troops from Afghanistan.

“I thought we had to get out of there eventually. [We] can’t beat these guys. Well, let’s get it over with. Afghanistan, you’re never going to win. Afghans are going to win. They have hundreds willing to fight and die for this country of theirs,” the 78-year-old journalist said Powell told him.

“That’s why I don’t have any problem with us getting out of there. We can’t go from 100,000 [US troops] down to a few hundred and think that’ll prevail,” Powell said in the 42-minute interview.

At one point during their conversation, Powell’s wife, Alma — who also has been diagnosed with the bug — called to him.

“Hang on a minute. I’m on the phone, Alma!” Powell shouted back to his wife before saying to Woodward in a whisper: “She never liked me talking to you, but here we are.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 19, 2021 4:02 PM

[quote] Colin Powell told Bob Woodward ‘don’t feel sorry for me’ in final interview

Good. We don’t.

by Anonymousreply 113October 19, 2021 4:15 PM

Although I’m certain to be trashed as a troll, I am a Dem who contributed enough money to Biden last year that it registers online. With that disclaimer, the Dems are being hoisted on their own petard with the negative fallout from the vaccinated Powell’s Covid-related death. It was their agenda to maximize the number of Covid-related deaths & they - &, yes, their media accomplices understandably eager to do whatever they could to defeat Trump - overincluded many deaths, like Powell’s, that would’ve happened even without Covid.

by Anonymousreply 114October 19, 2021 4:38 PM

I, for one, totally buy that your straight-from-Tucker Carlson conspiracy theory masks the heart of a lifelong Democrat, 114.

by Anonymousreply 115October 19, 2021 4:45 PM

Yeah, but R98, there was no actual infidelity - supposedly.

by Anonymousreply 116October 19, 2021 4:49 PM

I swear if Trump didn't fucking destroy this country with his garbage, low-life supporters, I'd find his takes on everything to be hilarious because he prides himself on being so classless (as NYers, we always knew that about him. He's such trash, but was fun trash). It's amazing how the guy has zero class. He literally cannot scrape together even a modicum of decency.

Did you see his statement on Powell?

by Anonymousreply 117October 19, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote]In the opposite world of anti-vaxxers, diseases like Covid, measles, smallpox, tetanus, rubella and polio are perfectly harmless and anyone who takes precautions against them is a Godless communist.

This is troll post, correct? Because you cannot be serious. Covid, measles, smallpox, tetanus, rubella and polio are NOT perfectly harmless.

One of my closest long time friends just died from Covid, they were diabetic and somewhat overweight. They didn't smoke or drink alcohol. This person wasn't elderly, but they had health issues.

Have you noticed lots of young people are dying from Covid? If you look at their obituary photos, most were overweight and some of the obits mentioned these people had serious underlying health issues.

by Anonymousreply 118October 19, 2021 5:01 PM

You need to read more carefully, R118.

by Anonymousreply 119October 19, 2021 5:02 PM

R116. He would say that, wouldn’t he? I couldn’t care less if he did. I just find the hypocrisy strange.

by Anonymousreply 120October 19, 2021 5:03 PM

Very predictable response, R115. But you are correct for questioning whether I’m a lifelong Dem. I’m not, but I am a committed one on the face of Trump, R115 (the multiple daily emails I’m now getting from the McAuliffes, Hillary, Stacey Abrams, James Carville, Tim Kaine & Carole King can attest to the fact that I’m a contributor to the Party). You’re drinking the Kool-Aid if you don’t think the Covid death rate was inflated by deaths similar to Powell, people whose way out was accelerated by the virus.

by Anonymousreply 121October 19, 2021 5:05 PM

17,000 fully vaxd have diedfrom covid, WHAT IS GOING ON ?

by Anonymousreply 122October 19, 2021 5:17 PM

R117 Trump did not put this out! All of his statements are on his Donaldtrump.com/news and this is not one of them. It’s fake.

You don’t get a vaccine when you are sick, you’re body can’t mount the defense the vaccine demands. Where a friend of mine works his grandmother with cancer got the vaccine. She was not dying of her cancer. Died 3 days after getting vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 123October 19, 2021 5:17 PM

R122, the vaccine's effectiveness against Delta variant wanes as time passes. He got his 2nd dose in Feb. So it's been 8 months already...plus he has medical issues...

get your boosters people!

by Anonymousreply 124October 19, 2021 5:27 PM

R123, where do you see that it's fake?

by Anonymousreply 125October 19, 2021 5:28 PM

R121 Statistically speaking, it was the virus that killed him, and it should be accounted as such, just as it has been all along for all those people who had preexisting conditions such as he did. He was terminally ill, so yes, he would have still died, even in the short term, but the undeniable fact that the virus is what he succumbed to shouldn't be ignored when compiling Covid-19 data.

R122 17,000 fully vaccinated deaths out of 189,000,000 fully vaccinated people. That's roughly a .0001 death rate percentage. What's going on is that your brain is functioning poorly or not at all.

by Anonymousreply 126October 19, 2021 5:31 PM

R126

Because the original so-called quote includes the ‘Save America’ logo but if you check the Save America website where Trump releases all his statements it’s not there. It’s fake.

by Anonymousreply 127October 19, 2021 6:03 PM

R114 is a fucking moron. What Dem is exaggerating the number of Covid deaths? No one does that, if anything the real total is probably higher. Look at people in the red states telling coroners to lie about the cause of death when their relatives die from Covid

by Anonymousreply 128October 19, 2021 6:04 PM

R123 makes up a relative with cancer to try to claim the vaccine kills people, despite no evidence of that. Stupid freeper shitstain

by Anonymousreply 129October 19, 2021 6:05 PM

R129

It’s not made up, but your idea of it is.

by Anonymousreply 130October 19, 2021 6:08 PM

R114, remember when Cuomo got busted claiming that NY State had FEWER Covid deaths than it actually did? No one is exaggerating Covid deaths, why would they? Yes, many people who died of Covid are old, but you could say the same for people who die from the flu, pneumonia, and lots of other diseases

by Anonymousreply 131October 19, 2021 6:08 PM

R130 = freeper who makes shit up, like his idol DJT

by Anonymousreply 132October 19, 2021 6:09 PM

Trump is his usual classy self in his statement marking Powell's death:

“Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media. Hope that happens to me someday.

“He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace.”

by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2021 6:18 PM

Friend of mine got the vaccine on march 19, died 2 weeks later.

by Anonymousreply 134October 19, 2021 6:19 PM

Friend of mine got the vaccine in April, stubbed his toe in June.

by Anonymousreply 135October 19, 2021 6:21 PM

R132 R135

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 19, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote] Trump is his usual classy self in his statement marking Powell's death:

What a fucking monster. That said, I can't wait for Trump to die so we can all go defecate on his grave. It'll be a fitting tribute.

by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote]I can't wait for Trump to die so we can all go defecate on his grave. It'll be a fitting tribute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2021 6:45 PM

I just found out he is Marcia Hines' (famous singer in Australia) cousin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2021 6:51 PM

R138 Rick Wilson is a fucking asshole but I do enjoy his nasty little jabs at Trump.

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2021 6:52 PM

R131, you’re comparing apples to cinder blocks. Cuomo was attacked for undercounting the deaths of a specific population, vulnerable nursing home residents, as a means of deflecting accountability.

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2021 7:03 PM

R140, I hate that he is precisely what Dems need. They need to sound like him. It's such bullshit that Dems have to walk on fucking eggshells for whatever reason, yet Republicans can be scum of thw earth to the point of fascism and we're told Republicans will win back the Congress. WHAT!?

by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2021 7:09 PM

R126, if we’re going to report the now greater number of US deaths associated with Covid than due to the Spanish flu (which, incidentally, doesn’t take into account the much greater population numbers now), it’s to be noted that the latter pandemic took out otherwise healthy people. So it’s not insignificant in this context to reflect on the poor preexisting health of the likes of Colin Powell.

by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2021 7:12 PM

Colin Powell was a degenerate war criminal who is rotting in hell.

- He deliberately hid information that would have allowed the My Lai massacre in Vietnam in 1968 to be investigated, and punished. - Was a key figure in the Iran contra debacle. - Was a key figure in implementing the Monroe Doctrine in Latin America, arming and training the death squads in El Salvador and supporting the right wing Nicaraguan contras with money obtained from drug trafficking. - He lied to the UN regarding Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction, so the Iraq War could commence. - Oversaw the crimes against humanity in Guantánamo Bay. - He oversaw the beginning of the Iraq War. - He was a KEY figure in supporting that other war criminal Barack Obama in the perpetuation of the Middle Eastern wars and the horrors in Libya and Syria.

And no, the fact that he was black doesn't excuse ANYTHING he did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2021 11:20 PM

Some additional information...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2021 11:21 PM

He does get points for endorsing Obama in '08 against his friend & ally, John McCain, & for consistently trashing Trump & endorsing Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2021 11:23 PM

The irony, R144, is that the argument that Powell was a war criminal is straight out of Trump's talking points. It's not what Obama, Hillary and Biden thought of him.

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2021 11:31 PM

Oh yes, R146 - he is responsible for millions of deaths, illegal wars and justifying the most horrible crimes against humanity imaginable, but he liked Obama and disliked Trump! Oh my God, he is A SAINT!!!!

Say whatever you want, R147: Obama is a mass murderer, and so are both Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Moreover, their economic and social policies are clearly aligned with those of the Republican party - in fact, Obama is FRIENDS with that other genocidal murderer George W Bush, and Hillary and Biden supported the Kosovo disaster, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria - they also oversaw the dismantling of the welfare system, the deregulation of Wall Street with the Financial Services Modernization Act in 1999, the crime bill and the privatization of the prison system. OF COURSE they liked Powell, who also was a neoliberal, imperialist war criminal: they all shared a common ideology.

And no, you won't scare me away by saying "Trump this and Trump that", because we all know that Trump criticized everything and then, went on to do exactly the same as the very people he claimed to despise. Not everyone thought that he was a maverick that had come to change society, because he has always been one of the main beneficiaries of our corrupt establishment. In short, he didn't fool many of us. In the same way, we can't be deceived or blackmailed into idolizing people who are even worse, just because they are politer and more eloquent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2021 11:42 PM

Respectfully, R148, did you even vote for Obama, Hillary and Biden?

by Anonymousreply 149October 19, 2021 11:50 PM

R133, Fox News, which was the biggest cheerleader for both the Iraq War and its ill-fated prosecution, lionized Powell's "distinguished" career yesterday. How "wildly admired" he was. I watched today to see if there was any coverage of Trump's comments. How, I wondered, would they be able to thread the needle for their viewers. Of course, there was no coverage.

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2021 12:06 AM

The complications of Covid that killed Colin Powell are the assholes who refuse to get vaccinated. This virus could be under control in the US, but it is still spreading because too many people are refusing to get vaccinated. At this point the deaths are on the people who are refusing to get vaccinated. Period.

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2021 12:15 AM

Let’s face it, he earned back some goodwill by endorsing Obama and trashing Trump. Whether sincerely or cynically, who knows. RIP and all that.

by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2021 12:23 AM

r151 are you a paid pharma shill or just a NPC? Wishing you the very best with your spike protein micro-clots! besos

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2021 1:58 AM

R151 big pharma apparently doesn't pay as well as the anti vaxxer shills. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2021 2:44 AM

Colin Powell waited so long to endorse Hillary Clinton, just two weeks before the election. He did it so very reluctantly that it may have caused more damage than good.

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2021 2:53 AM

R155. Did the election really hinge on Colin Powell? I didn’t realise he loomed do large in people’s consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2021 3:00 AM

"Although I’m certain to be trashed as a troll, I am a Dem who contributed enough money to Biden last year that it registers online. With that disclaimer, the Dems are being hoisted on their own petard with the negative fallout from the vaccinated Powell’s Covid-related death. "

The devil you say!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 21, 2021 5:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!