Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All women pop stars & singers wouldn’t be nearly as successful without gay men.

Facts. They all owe their careers to gay men.

That’s why I’m so ecstatic about Lil Nas X. He’s the gay pop star we needed.

by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2021 9:52 PM

That's actually sort of true in terms of longevity. If you don't have a gay following? You generally don't have a long career in pop.

Madonna, Beyonce, Gaga, for example, have had much longer careers than peers Pat Benatar, Alicia Keys, and Kesha because they gays chose them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 3:26 AM

I'm pretty sure we gays manifested Madonna's career out of popper fumes and blow.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 4:23 AM

Conversely, if you disrespect the Gays, you're kaput.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 6:14 AM

That’s why I laugh when dumb asses claim gays are misogynists. Please. Gay men support women more than straight men and even some women do. Gays don’t even support their own like they do straight women.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 6:19 AM

I rather support a gay man who is talented over a circus show like Nas X.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 1:23 PM

I think it's particular dance pop which is played in gay clubs that helps artists like Kylie Minogue to remain a cult hit artist.

I mean, Country music for example is so dominated by the right wing conservative crowd that Liberals and Gays can't make someone A-List on their own. Stars like Dolly Parton and Reba McEntire are Country A-List despite being very liberal and pro-gay, but promote traditional Christian values in their songs. They kind of juggle both sides and succeed.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 1:49 PM

I think it's about time we dropped divas to support fellow gay men

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 1:49 PM

Gay men such as who R7?

The irritating Andrew Sullivan, obnoxious fame whore Andy Cohen or phony Anderson Cooper? Or worse that annoying Scottish pixie Alan Cumming or that gin-soaked Nathan Lane? Or opportunistic "Dad" Pete Buttigieg and that annoying husband? Or friend of Rush Limbaugh Elton John and that gold digger husband?

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 2:05 PM

Great, another misogyny post 🙄

OP, don't you have other things to do besides tear women apart and try to discredit them?

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 2:39 PM

I don't think this is true anymore with the demise of the scene and mainstreaming of gay culture.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 3:42 PM

R10

Actually, it is true. If you look on social media, so many of the most hardcore fans of these women are gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 4:53 PM

R11

Oh, and not to mention the pop message boards like ATRL are mostly gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 4:55 PM

No, op us gays are a niche audience. It's the general public who keeps these brands careers alive, without them they're nothing.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 4:55 PM

R11 Everyone has stans on the internet, it's not the same as the 80s and 90s when artists would gain traction through exposure in large scale gay clubs that were known for discovering new music.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 5:36 PM

Generally speaking for myself, once I'm a fan of a Diva Goddess, I'm a fan for life. Madonna, Marilyn, Mae, Lana, Judy, Farrah, Cher... Careers fluctuate, the highs and lows, good press, bad press, but I never turn my back on my Diva Goddesses.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 5:39 PM

Obviously some diva singers have a huge gay following but others don't. For instance, I don't know too many gay men whonlike Taylor Swift and most female country singers (except Dolly!) don't seem to have a gay following either

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Is it supposed to be some sort of achievement tho? Pop music is mostly trash and gays have horrible taste in music, especially baby gays.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 6:00 PM

Bette Midler- She got her start in a gay bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 6:02 PM

That's true R16.

Adele and Taylor aren't gay icons at all and are the two biggest pop stars in the world.

Taylor continually keeps the teen girl crowd - the most rabid fanbase out there. So that explains her sustained career growth. (Unlike Katy, who had the same teen fans, but she couldn't keep them after a generation or two.)

And Adele is just a freak of popularity.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 6:22 PM

R19 Nope no one talks about taylor swift oustide America she's the definition of local, beyonce isn't far behind too. Yes they are superstars but they ain't as big in other countries as they are in America. Neither of them have 100+ global nber ones.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 11:20 PM

R20, Taylor Swift is massive in South and Southeast Asia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 11:40 PM

The bad part about OP's topic is that it's now at the point where every idiotic pop tart is assumed to be a "gay icon"--all because she's a female pop star. Britney Spears started that. Fucking dumbass bitch.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 11:41 PM

R17

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2021 3:35 AM

Celine Dion and Adele would disagree with you, OP

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2021 4:04 AM

Madonna is the perfect example of a singer superstar who was fueled on by the Gay Community. She knows it too. Get the Gays on your side and you'll have a longer career.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2021 4:12 AM

[quote] "Conversely, if you disrespect the Gays, you're kaput."

Donna Summer learned that the hard way, R3!

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2021 4:13 AM

Donna Summer always claimed she wasn't anti-gay. In any event, the rumors were accepted as truth and her career was negatively affected.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2021 4:28 AM

True, gays make up a big part of their fanbase who buy tickets and merchandise and they stay loyal even when their young girl fans grow out of them.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 11:58 PM

Donna Summer never should've signed with David Geffen. Geffen had NO idea what to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 12:28 AM

R27 Donna Summer found religion - a very strict religion - and she did make homophobic remarks at concerts. Her conversion to the Conservative movement was well documented and she even became good friends with Rush Limbaugh. A friend to the gays she wasn't. Don't blame David Geffen. She made too many ridiculous, conservative, religious remarks and then pretended that she wasn't homophobic - she was.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 2:54 AM

I don't know if Donna Summer was privately anti-gay, but there are no contemporaneous accounts of her saying anything anti-gay in a concert or other public forum. She was a huge star back in the early 80s, if she'd said something in public it would've been in every newspaper in America.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 3:09 AM

Being "The Queen of Disco" kind of hurt Donna Summer's credibility in a way. She was a powerhouse vocalist, but because no one really took disco seriously, her vocal talent was overshadowed by her association with the genre. She was as strong a vocalist as Whitney, Mariah or Celine, and even up until her final years she still sounded incredible live.

Her husband Bruce, who was also her manager, approached Pete Waterman of Stock Aitken Waterman in the 80s and asked if SAW would work with Donna, because NO ONE wanted to work with her then due to the rumors of her being anti-gay. Her songs with SAW were her last big hits.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 3:52 AM

The rumors pretty much put the brakes on Donna's career. It's weird she didn't come out and fight it right away. She waited YEARS before she even addressed the rumors. By then it was much too late.

Of course, her husband being her manager had a lot to do with it. She need a prestigious and powerful management company working for her, not her husband.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 3:58 AM

R31 YES, there were reports of her making homophobic remarks at concerts after she got religion. And it WAS reported. She eventually tried to wiggle out of it but there was too much evidence stacked against her. She disowned some of her own songs and hoped that God would forgive her - as though making the sound of an orgasm in Love To Love You Baby was a terrible sin. She became a conservative/religious nut and pretended to like gays later on but she didn't. She went overboard on a strict religion and it warped her attitude toward life and other people.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 4:50 AM

I just think if a major star like Donna Summer was at the time, said such inflammatory remarks made in a public forum such as a concert would've been reported in the media. There are zero newspaper and magazine articles from the period saying she said anti-gay things. It was only reported on as rumors years later.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2021 5:01 AM

Why didn't Pat Benatar have a large gay following? The music video for Love is a Battlefield seems like a thing gays would like.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2021 7:17 AM

[quote]I just think if a major star like Donna Summer was at the time, said such inflammatory remarks made in a public forum such as a concert would've been reported in the media.

Are you under 40? There was NO social media back then, no Internet, no FB, nothing. No TV shows like Will and Grace with gay characters. News really didn't care about gay people back then so even if it was known, not something they would report. Ronald Reagan would not even say the word AIDS in his first term as President even though some of his Hollywood friends were dying. It was socially acceptable in straight society to be ant-gay. If fact you were kind of edgy if you had a gay friend because they were considered fringe of society.

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2021 7:32 AM

R36, one of the background dancers in the video is even a a male wearing a dress so you'd think the gays would have loved it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2021 9:04 AM

My only true diva is Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2021 11:17 AM

lol no R39.

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2021 11:19 AM

Donna Summer's HOMOPHOBIC remarks WERE reported in both Vanity Fair and New York Magazine.

Her anti-gay rant is NOT an "urban legend."

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2021 11:22 AM

R40 Why not?

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2021 11:26 AM

Being a diva requires at least a passing acquaintance with soap.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2021 11:37 AM

r37 if a star as huge as Donna Summer was had said something inflammatory in a public setting, it would have been in the newspapers and People magazine at the time.

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2021 3:14 PM

r41 it was reported many years after she allegedly said it.

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2021 3:15 PM

R44 Give it up and go take your meds you nuthouse case!!!

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2021 4:03 PM

r46 it's just simple facts, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2021 4:24 PM

I find it dubious how "Gay icon" is so loosely thrown around now. Every female pop star today is called a "gay icon" like Britney, Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Doja Cat, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Nicki, Taylor Swift etc. Only one who feels somewhat deserved is Gaga because she was vocal about gay rights and seems that she was making dance music for gays at least early on. But still though a lot of her "legacy" is media fabricated too.

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2021 6:05 PM

I wonder about the mental state of those who are convinced Britney is a "gay icon".

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2021 6:23 PM

Pink is one who I think isn't a gay icon yet has a long career for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2021 2:03 AM

I went to a Pink concert several years ago and the audience was FILLED with lesbians (many butch ones)

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2021 2:08 AM

Hmmm... So perhaps she is a gay icon, just to the lady gays.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2021 2:10 AM

Lezzies have always loved Pink, right from the beginning in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2021 2:21 AM

is "nuthouse case" the same as "prostitution whore"?

by Anonymousreply 54October 23, 2021 2:42 AM

I suppose Lesbians probably support a lot of folk singers too.

by Anonymousreply 55October 23, 2021 3:16 AM

Sade isn't a gay icon, and she had a long career making music that straight people have sex to.

by Anonymousreply 56October 23, 2021 3:40 AM

R47 Not facts and you're the one that is simple(minded).

by Anonymousreply 57October 23, 2021 3:44 AM

Nancy Sinatra has a large gay following - and I'm one of them!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 23, 2021 3:51 AM

Sade has a huge gay following.

by Anonymousreply 59October 23, 2021 4:02 AM

OK, so Sade apparently has a huge gay following I never heard about before. What about Enya? Do the gays like Enya?

by Anonymousreply 60October 26, 2021 12:08 AM

Yes, OP. Three percent of the population is responsible for ALL their success. Bipolar much? Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 61October 26, 2021 12:55 AM

What is a Sage ?

by Anonymousreply 62October 26, 2021 2:01 AM

Enya is big with artsy and alt gays. My high school friends loved her.

by Anonymousreply 63October 26, 2021 2:05 AM

A font of wisdom r62

by Anonymousreply 64October 26, 2021 2:06 AM

R8 Growing up as a teenager, I enjoyed Madonna but I enjoyed alternative / indie music.

Discovering Sylvester, The Magnetic Fields, The Buzzcocks, The Germs, etc.

I liked listening to men sing songs about men.

by Anonymousreply 65October 26, 2021 2:07 AM

Add Joan Jett to my post on R65

“Society won’t let me be the way I want it to, hard to hide my secret love for you”

She was amazing too.

by Anonymousreply 66October 26, 2021 2:13 AM

And Lady Gaga was so fake and phony.

She knew being a successful female pop star was about attracting a gay audience and she exploited it.

She did it out of gimmick. I remember how uncomfortable she got when Barbara Walters asked her has she ever been with a woman after claiming she was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 67October 26, 2021 2:18 AM

R67 Baba Wawa asked her that? Way too personal.

by Anonymousreply 68October 26, 2021 3:39 AM

Oh come off it R67. Gaga clearly loves gays. She grew up in NYC for chrissakes and was a nerdy theater kid. All of her friends were no doubt gay boys.

Lambast her for about a million other things, but she's the real deal when it comes to her love of us.

by Anonymousreply 69October 26, 2021 3:57 AM

Gaga does seem phony and narcissistic. I remember when she collaborated with R. Kelly! And she is so desperate to be a Hollywood celebrity which seems contradictory to her early avant-garde nonconformist debut. But I don't think her love for gays is fake at all. She does appreciate gay culture and early on did make music targeted to a gay audience. If she did not care about gays, she wouldn't have acknowledged anything about us because it's not like it was more profitable than just making mainstream music towards a hetero crowd.

by Anonymousreply 70October 26, 2021 6:13 PM

And compared to Beyoncé, Britney, Ariana and Nicki who barely did shit for gay rights yet have huge fandom who declare them as gay icons. Gaga at least acknowledged gay men as her audience and made a gay anthem. Her style was lifted from Grace Jones, Elton John and Madonna and 80s new wave all popular with gay crowds. She was exciting when she debuted. I don't care about her music anymore as I find it boring and tryhard but I appreciate her positive acknowledgement of gay people and gay rights. Obama wasn't even in support of gay marriage in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 71October 26, 2021 6:20 PM

R70/R71, all great points. And I'm like you where I found her fascinating from 2009 through 2011 and then just completely lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2021 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!