Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Velvet Underground is a 2021 documentary film directed and produced by Todd Haynes

You're gonna love this one DL ..........Now in Art House Cinemas and streaming on Apple +

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2022 1:57 PM

I can't wait to see this!

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 1:39 AM

Fucking light weight and so clean.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 1:47 AM

Me too. Lou Reed was an an obsession for me. Walk on the Wild Side. I was with the Cockettes and thought he was the next big thing.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 1:48 AM

It was interesting how they just sort of established Lou was a junkie and was gay. And I don't think he ever talked about being either in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 8:46 PM

Are you kidding, R4? Of course he did.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 8:54 PM

Not as much as he did about not being gay, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 8:59 PM

It was a horrible mess. I couldn’t get past the first 30 minutes

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 9:01 PM

He never hid either his drug use or his sexuality. In fact, he said his parents were talked into getting him shock treatment to curb his gay feelings when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 9:29 PM

Saw it in a theater the other day and I’m really glad I did; Haynes’ use of montage and split-screen alongside the incredible music really envelops you.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 9:36 PM

This home-made documentary about Maureen "Mo" Tucker's drumming is the best thing I've seen for a while. It's also a really illuminating look at the band's career. A revelation.

So, why did Reed kick out Cale? Was it all about wanting to be more commercial (that appears to have been a factor) or was it out of spite at Cale getting involved with Nico? Both of them ultimately rejected him sexually, though Nico had a brief affair with Reed early on (which inspired Reed to write those beautiful songs for her to sing on the first album).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 10:07 PM

Does anyone else like Nico?

I absolutely love Nico and her first album is almost another Velvet Underground album as a lot of the band wrote and played on it.

But I love her voice even though some people hate it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 10:27 PM

I remember Lou re-closeting himself in the 80s (like Bowie did) and marrying a woman. Granted, Laurie Anderson isn't the most feminine woman on Earth, but he wasn't publicly with a man.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 10:31 PM

He didn't want to be with a man, R12. He wanted to be with Laurie Anderson. She was hardly his beard.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 10:43 PM

If you think Lou didn't make a calculation in his head about how he would be perceived by being publicly gay, you're a fool. Anyone who wears a wig that long cares about how he is seen.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 10:52 PM

R14, Lou Reed was hardly a study of the closeted gay rock star. But it sure seems to chap your ass, Mary. Do you go after Bowie, too, for marrying Iman?

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 11:06 PM

Unlikely, OP. I hated Lou Reed, hated Nico, hated Andy Warhol, hate hate hate hate hate that whole pretentious miserabilist “art” scene.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 11:14 PM

Who care how you feel, R16? Anyone who hates Velvet Underground is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 11:17 PM

Every time I see Christine Vachon's name attached to a project I know it's going to be at least interesting, possibly brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 11:22 PM

R9 it was awful

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 11:28 PM

I really liked it. But I like The Velvet Underground.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 11:40 PM

The documentary was pap.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 1:02 AM

I thought it was good but a little too messy in style and not messy enough in gossip.

I went into it interested in Lou Reed and came out thinking John Cale was the much more interesting person.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2021 2:52 PM

I know. Andy's diary is a torrent of gossip about these people and there was zilch. Frankly not a lot about their songs either.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2021 2:54 PM

Good, not great. A for effort for attempting to make a documentary as visually engaging and dynamic as his feature films, and for centering Reed's queerness as part of his identity as an artist.

However Reed defined his own sexuality, he was queer and it shaped his songwriting as much as his drug use and his work as a poet.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2021 2:59 PM

Lou Reed was into chicks with dicks

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2021 3:12 PM

R11 Not the racist, antisemitic, an awful person part. But I love her voice.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote]he was queer

Could you not?

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2021 3:43 PM

I watched the Mo Tucker documentary r10 linked to last night and really enjoyed it, especially the technical demonstrations of her drumming styles.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2021 3:58 PM

I was a hardcore Velvet Underground fan in high school. They were my "gateway" band that opened the floodgates to me discovering a whole other world of music. I hadn't heard of this documentary previously, but saw that Criterion was releasing it this month. I bought it sight-unseen and watched it last night. I enjoyed it, though it didn't provide much information that I wasn't already aware of. All of the rare footage throughout was fantastic to see, and well-presented. Lou Reed came across like an asshole as usual, but all that footage of him in his youth was a sight to behold. Perhaps not as handsome as John Cale, though. I sort of never realized until watching the film just how beautiful of a man Cale was—very mysterious and unique looking. Stunningly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2022 7:49 AM

R29 I agree, I had no idea Cale was that HAWT back then. He looked like a beautiful vampire, and he aged amazingly well (he's 80!) for a guy who had severe drug and drinking problems.

He was way hotter to me than Lou, perhaps because I'm already a self important skinny Jew, I don't find other ones attractive.

I also agree the documentary was more for a casual fan than one who knew a bunch about the VU. It was cool to see all the footage in good quality and to hear from who's left of the crowd, but the actual information has been covered in tons of books and articles. I loved it though, it succeeded in what Haynes seemed to be aiming for: enmeshing the audience into the world and style of THE influential "alternative" cool band.

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2022 5:31 AM

Nico is my icon plus she got to sample Alain Delon in his prime although in a case of be careful what you wish for he denied fathering the child that grew up to look very much like him.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2022 6:49 AM

R30 a “beautiful vampire” is a good description. There is something extremely sexy about him that had never really occurred to me until I was watching this film. Out of all of the footage and people involved, he stood out to me for his beauty more than anyone else. I don’t know why I’d never noticed. He seems quite heterosexual, but I have to wonder if he and Lou ever played around during their time working together (talk about rare footage is REALLY want to see).

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2022 7:36 AM

Dreamy John

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2022 7:39 AM

R32 Lou was more than likely in some kind of deep lust with him. In John Cale’s autobiography, he talks about Lou (who oddly seemed way more comfortable with his sexuality during the Factory days than later on, another thing the doc emphasized) making endless passes at him, partially to scandalize him, but I also think he was serious about it. Lou was certifiably nuts so it’s not easy to tell.

Cale also called their relationship a “non-sexual love affair that ran its course”. I think he is essentially straight but it wouldn’t surprise me if they messed around.

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2022 1:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!