Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sepsis--Doctor in the house? (Bill Clinton related)

I know we have some doctors on the DL here.

This question sprang from the Bill Clinton thread.

I had it twice when I was 30 after getting pneumonia and a staph infection somehow I think.

Anyway I had to do 6 weeks of IV anti-biotics. Then it came back right away and I had to do it again. The second time I practically begged the infectious disease doctor (who seemed really good) that couldn't I just take oral stuff. He said if the infection is in the blood you have to go on iv.

So all this stuff about Clinton being released in a few days and going on oral anti-biotics (like Sanjay Gupta said) stuck me as false.

But another poster in the Clinton thread said she had four infecctions in her blood, was in septic shock and was still just on iv for a week and then pills.

Can anyone explain.

(it was so awful being on the iv for 12 weeks. Clinton's plight is giving me nightmares.)

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 4:37 AM

OP, it probably has to do with what you were infected with. You said you had a staph infection. That may have been antibiotic resistant in a way that whatever Clinton has isn't. Clinton has a septic infection that started as a bladder/urinary tract infection common in older adults.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 1:23 AM

That might be it r1. I kind of forgot about the staph part of it until just now when I was posting. Maybe that's what he meant when the doctor said once IT is in the blood. He meant the staph.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 1:28 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 4:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!