Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tons of People Leaving Their Jobs...

I keep reading about this everywhere. Jobs available in just about every sector, but employers can't find people to take them.

My question: How do all of these people expect to live an even low-level life without any income? Are there really that many independently wealthy people around? If so, I don't know any.

by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2021 4:46 PM

OP is a freeper troll. Unemployment is not really high right now, most people who left their jobs found new ones

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 12:47 AM

Employers who pay a living wage don't have trouble finding employees

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 12:47 AM

I suspect many are young people who are moving back in with their parents until they've had a chance to figure out their next steps.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 12:51 AM

A lot of the older employed crowd: men over 50, etc - left their jobs during/after the COVID lockdown and have dropped out of the workforce or are doing something simpler with less risks. These were the people driving trucks, working the docks and ports, etc. It takes a while to fill those jobs.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 12:51 AM

OP "keeps reading about this everywhere"

EVERYWHERE!

But doesn't provide one single link.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 12:56 AM

Well, whomever it is, I say more power to them. I would love to quit my job but can't afford to. I have started job hunting, though, in the hopes of at least finding something less stressful.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 12:57 AM

There is always an OnlyFans if you are young and pretty enough. But for OP, it might be a day late and a dollar short and two hundred pounds overweight.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 1:03 AM

After seeing how people are getting treated at their jobs by the deranged MAGAts, I don't blame people leaving. Why possibly get sick and die over a low paying job with diminishing perks that further enrich assholes destroying our democracy so they can make more money while we have to deal with the vermin zombies who have been brainwashed by those fucking corporations so they can have all the money and the power. Life's too short...even for that previous sentence.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 1:09 AM

I stopped working 2 years ago. I’m 62 now. I live off a combo of savings, retirement money and an occasional job. I plan on collecting SS early. I’ll get $1800 per month now and $2500 per month if I hold out to 66 and 10 months. Fuck that. I’ve learned that I can live on a lot less plus my house was paid off years ago. I don’t miss spending 5 days a week with toxic people. I’m happy and content for the first time in my life. It’s worth it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 1:09 AM

That's what I did, R9 -- except I retired five years ago at 58. Since I'm an Army vet, I go to the VA for my medical care and I started collecting SS last year when I turned 62. I also work PT online from home. I don't make much, but I have no debt. It sure beats the hell outta having a "real job"!

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 1:17 AM

This is an issue in Canada but we have a social safety net here. I think a lot of people are really re evaluating their lives after covid. If anyone is that miserable they should leave their job.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 1:20 AM

My job is putting me on unpaid leave for not getting vaccinated. It's a little scary but I do have savings. I'm going to stay with family in a more sane state, get a new job, start a new life. This is really just the straw that broke the camel's back. I've wanted to make a big change in my life for at least a decade but my job was like a golden cage. It took things getting really bad for me to finally make the call to leave.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 1:44 AM

So, what, R12, you're moving to a "sane" red state where you can be an ignorant, unvaxxed asshole unimpeded by any care for society or anyone else around you?

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 1:50 AM

R12, I'm in the same boat. I'm not worried about it because I have plenty of savings to hold me over for a while. My guess is that the smooth brains that bow to the coercion haven't saved much, which is sad. Like you, I'm headed somewhere more sane. I have visited my target location and it's a different world not run on fear.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 1:52 AM

R14, headed to where it's run on ignorance instead of facts. You'll fit right in. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 1:53 AM

OMG -- places where the unvaccinated congregate are "more sane"?

Wow -- now I've heard everything.

I hope they deny you unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 1:57 AM

R15 and R16 are examples of unhinged media brainwashing. I won't wish terrible things on them like they seem to do on others, but one day hopefully people can shake this truly odd religion of sorts formed in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 2:00 AM

I’m sure a vast number of Boomers decided to take early retirement during Covid. The thought of going back into an office, and having to deal with today’s HR bullshit, including KPIs, and sensitive and exhausting Gen XYZs was not worth the pain.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 2:00 AM

Nothing says "not ignorant" and "not an asshole" like insulting people you've never met and know nothing about, R12. Looking forward to getting away from folks like you who have become much too common where I'm at currently.

Unemployment isn't even an option for me R16. I'm on a leave of absence, so still technically employed. I have to be a big boy and support myself through this transition, while staying true to my principles.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 2:02 AM

Your principles, R19? Ignorance is not a principle. Fox Noise is not your friend.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 2:05 AM

I have lowered the bar since Covid. I don't want to be the best in my field any more. I want to do the bare minimum to make a comfortable salary, but I have decided I am fine with the lower end of the salary for little work. I'm 40 and at least for now, I earn, save, travel, repeat. I am starting to see friends my age have non-covid related illnesses and I want to enjoy life. The illusion of stability and normality was really blown for me after the last 2 years. Not that it ever was, but now I really feel like there are just no guarantees.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 2:06 AM

Nobody wants to discuss the fact that 750,000 people are no longer in the workforce because they, you know, died.

Factors:

COVID deaths

People on disability with long COVID.

Acute childcare shortage. (you gonna work for $15/hr at McDonald's if childcare costs twice that?)

Service-sector burnout. (would I want to work with the public right now? Fuck. No.)

What else?

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote]r12 My job is putting me on unpaid leave for not getting vaccinated.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 2:09 AM

Wondering how long before someone throws a temper tantrum and demands Muriel shuts it down because "OMG Trumpers have invaded!" No, it is possible for people to have different opinions. Keep parroting the 750k deaths number that represents all sorts of things while denying the number of people that the *experimental therapeutic* ...ahem... "vaccine" killed right away - obnoxiously high but largely unreported on.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote]Nobody wants to discuss the fact that 750,000 people are no longer in the workforce because they, you know, died.

The vast majority of people who died were over 70. The reason it's not being talked about is because the deaths didn't really impact the work force.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 2:16 AM

It is good, R23, after 20 years I'm ready for a sabbatical.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 2:17 AM

All part time retail/restaurant type jobs are hiring. But where did the original workers go?

How are they supporting themselves? The only other jobs are professional ones. It’s not like they all got college degrees overnight.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 2:19 AM

R24, you are laughably stupid, ignorant, and gullible. Make sure your family links us to your GoFundMe after you die from or are permanently disabled by Covid. Try to make sure your narrative makes a good story for SorryAntiVaxxer.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 2:20 AM

R27, they are probably existing on the last remnants of those huge Covid enhanced unemployment payments. They'll be coming back soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 2:22 AM

Retired at 60 4 months before COVID hit. Best thing I ever did. The last thing I will see is a pelican not a spread sheet. Retiree while you can enjoy it. Every year after 60 is a gift.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2021 2:23 AM

R28, Protip - GoFundMe is a scam and shuts down fundraisers on their whim but I can see how smooth your brain works. You must be so much fun at a party.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2021 2:25 AM

Lots of people are moving. It's going to cost me 3x as much as I was anticipating to get my stuff out of California. The PODS guy was saying CA, TX, and CO are going crazy. It's getting hard to find available Uhauls or PODS and the prices are going way up accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2021 2:29 AM

R31, are you so ignorant that you don't even know about all the GoFundMes set up by the families of all the dead and dying antivaxxers like you?

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2021 2:33 AM

R24 what do you mean “that represents all sorts of things” ?

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2021 2:36 AM

R33, they are set up to entertain people like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2021 2:37 AM

Just when you think that nobody's mentally fucked-up enough to buy into the MAGA horseshit, along comes R24 posting from Neptune.

Good luck with your alternative plane of reality. You're gonna need it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2021 2:40 AM

It's almost too stupid to address, but any evidence of mass deaths from vaccine reactions not coming from MagaPatriotFreedomEagle@aol.com would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2021 2:46 AM

R24, you’ve been sold a pile of shit. People are making money off your ignorance. And they will keep feeding you shit as long as you visit their web pages and give them clicks. Btw they’re all fucking vaccinated, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2021 3:00 AM

Personally I am refusing the vaccine because I can't stand the culture of scapegoating and ignorance that's being created. Between the Trans Religion and the COVID Religion we're creating a society where not taking the sacramental drugs makes you an unclean bad person. It's beyond fucked up. The idea that everyone who doesn't get vaccinated is destined to either be a super spreader or die on a ventilator is what's terribly ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2021 3:05 AM

Lmao covid denier and conspiracy theorist in the house. Stop engaging.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2021 3:08 AM

R39. Yes, the idea that every unvaccinated person will die or be a superspreader is I very ignorant, which is why someone would have to be an antivaxxer to hold such a view.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2021 3:20 AM

Medically retired at age 58. I’m now 62 and happier than I have been in years.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 3:37 AM

People do not want to work retail and restaurant jobs because the customers are pieces of shit

corporate America ALWAYS takes the side of the customer. No other countries do all this "'the customer is always right" nonsense for their customers. Go shopping in England. You have to pack your own groceries and they are rude as hell

These people can work in warehouses/manufacturing

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 3:44 AM

Karens of DL think that flyover states are unimportant while wondering why their shelves are empty.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 3:54 AM

I deal with the public and there’s a different level of frustration and outrage. Before it was mostly entitlement, now it is animosity towards things being complicated or not as easy as before COVID. It’s ironic since many of them delighted in the chaos created by Trump. Now that they are living with the repercussions, they are pissed and take it out on people in customer service jobs. If I could stay home, I’d do the same thing .

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2021 3:56 AM

[quote]My job is putting me on unpaid leave for not getting vaccinated.

I'll be putting you on unpaid leave.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote]the number of people that the *experimental therapeutic* ...ahem... "vaccine" killed right away - obnoxiously high but largely unreported on

Really, with all the scrutiny on the vaccine by everything from legitimate news (NYT, WSJ, WaPo, MSNBC) to semilegitimate (CNN, and man-in-sky-forgive-me Fox News) to the batshit crazy (OAN, ONN, Alex Jones), not one can find a case of death due to the vaccine? How many, exactly, is "obnoxiously high"? Why the scare quotes around "vaccine" as though you can't google the development of the vaccine, how it originated when we dealt with SARs (and you do know it is not coincidental that the equivalent name of Coronavirus is [italic]SARs[/italic] -CoV-2, right?) when Obama was POTUS, and thanks to his investments in research and development of mRNA vaccines, we had the tools and research already done for the underlying vaccine. Every vaccine carries risk which pales in comparison to the lives saved in prevention (and it's always cheaper to prevent than it is to cure, another reason you'd think conservatives would embrace). And that's the rub with science: they know they're going to be wrong sometimes, and that they know it drives the people who live in a simpler binary world nuts.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2021 4:08 AM

It’s contrarianism. Some people are like children and resist when anyone tells them they have to do something. It’s the adult equivalent of stomping their feet and screaming YOU CAN’T MAKE ME! YOU’RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 4:17 AM

"largely unreported on" -because IT NEVER HAPPENED.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 4:43 AM

I keep hearing people claim that people aren't returning to work because they're getting unemployment and stimulus checks. This is ridiculous, right? Who's still getting stimulus checks? And unemployment insurance isn't very much, especially if you had a crappy job before.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 4:44 AM

[quote]Personally I am refusing the vaccine because I can't stand the culture of scapegoating and ignorance that's being created.

Personally, you've been dropped on your head or are naturally so ignorant it hurts.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 4:53 AM

No one is getting anything above their state's regular unemployment for weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 4:57 AM

It's a combo platter of:

1) Covid forced at least one parent (usually 'mom') to deal with educating the kids during the Covid shut down. I think a lot of people figured out, "oh, we CAN be a one income house hold, at least for awhile..."

2) Ditto for high school/college kids. More affluent parents are telling their kids, "I don't want you working while you're in school...focus on education and we'll pay your living expenses"

3) Business start ups are way up. Many people started their own businesses.

4) Many people went back to school

5) Many people used the shutdown as the incentive to get themselves out of jobs/careers they hated and they went and found different jobs/careers.

6) Many people downsized their living expenses/cut back and found they can live smaller. And, saved shit tons of money by not taking trips/going out for a year and a half.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 4:59 AM

[quote]It’s the adult equivalent of stomping their feet and screaming YOU CAN’T MAKE ME! YOU’RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

Nah. It's not the "adult equivalent". It's literally exactly what they are doing and saying. These people need to be treated like the giant fucking toddlers they are. It's why they all flock to religion, too. They want a big sky daddy to tell them what to do because they are abject fucking failures at being adult humans. They always look for the biggest, loudest piece of shit and then flock to it like flies to the biggest, smelliest shitpile. See: televangelists and Trump

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2021 5:11 AM

They're still living off the $18,000 they earned over a year and a half from their weekly $300 unemployment stimulus bonus. While those of us workers who were 'essential' got nothing.

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2021 5:19 AM

R51 types rather authoritarian. These are the people that will need the most help later on.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote]Between the Trans Religion and the COVID Religion

See, the anti-trans trolls ARE the anti-vax trolls and all the other rightwing trolls, too. They're just admitting it now.

This guy sounds a lot like the other guy on this thread calling people "smooth brains." They don't try very hard to make their accounts sound like different people.

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2021 5:58 AM

The funniest part, R57, is that I doubt he has any idea what he's referring to by "smooth brains". He just heard it somewhere amongst his mouth-breathing brethren and repeats it. It's how their tiny minds work. Like ape/parrot hybrids.

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2021 6:55 AM

[quote]Every year after 60 is a gift.

No one should have to work after 60 unless they want to. It's sad and criminal that most people have to, when they energy levels are plummeting and their time on Earth is narrowing. And all they can think about come 3pm is "I WANT A NAP!"

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2021 7:50 AM

[quote] Nobody wants to discuss the fact that 750,000 people are no longer in the workforce because they, you know, died.

Isn’t that what happened after the snap? The economy eventually bounced back even with half the population gone. And then eventually the people came back and the jobs were filled again.

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2021 8:35 AM

Why have all the maga creepers started hanging out on Datalounge? You know r12 and r14 are total lies.

by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2021 12:45 PM

They haven’t stopped working—they’ve just stopped working in poorly paying customer facing jobs—like waiter and cash register clerks.

Why not get a job at Amazon for $17 a hour with full benefits than getting $3 a hour, having to rely on tips, and dealing with horrible customers?

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2021 1:11 PM

[quote]denying the number of people that the *experimental therapeutic* ...ahem... "vaccine" killed right away

All right, I'll step up and pierce the denial. I freely and fully acknowledge the deaths of the people who have died from the vaccine.

All four of them.

MLIve, Oct. 13 2021: "As for deaths attributed to the vaccine itself, there have been four throughout the U.S. -- none in Michigan -- all attributed to a rare but serious blood clotting condition known as “thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome” and linked to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine."

by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2021 1:18 PM

[quote]Why not get a job at Amazon for $17 a hour with full benefits

And not allowed to pee!

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2021 3:55 PM

LMAO Yeah Mother Nature is on the side of Big Pharma... That makes a ton of sense R46.

That's why everyone is so healthy these days, right? All the PreP, antidepressants, vaccines, etc -- it's what the body craves!

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2021 4:32 PM

R65 is so reflective of the stupidity and inability to understand anything that represents these idiotic antivaxxers and Trumpers. Moron, Mother Nature would be Covid coming to kill you or maim your organs for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2021 4:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!