Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Quintessential Cars for Gays and Lesbians

I know the Subaru is for lesbians but I feel the vehicle of choice for gay men is less defined. I'm leaning toward Range Rovers though.

This begs another question. Why do lesbians go for inexpensive and practical, and gay men go for expensive and high maintenance?

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2021 2:22 AM

Range Rover?!

No I think gay men are more likely to drive smaller cars than straight men. Don't have to worry about hauling kids, less of that instinct to prove your manhood with some giant hunk of metal.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 8:59 PM

I would pick a Mini Cooper over a Range Rover. More of a city car, very high quality, but often temperamental.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 9:02 PM

[quote] inexpensive and practical

Like their women.

[quote] expensive and high maintenance

Like their men.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 9:02 PM

R2 I've known 3 gay men who had mini-coopers and they all went kaput after a few years. Too expensive to fix you might as well buy a new car.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 9:07 PM

I see a good deal of gay men of a certain age driving roadster convertibles. The ones that can not afford the German brands, a drive Mazda Miata, or a Fiat Spider.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 9:07 PM

Mini Coop is a good pick r2. If you see a guy driving one there are decent odds he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 9:09 PM

The Miata used to be THE quintessential gay man’s car. Not so much anymore.

I now see lots of queens in Jeep Wranglers and similarly pseudo-butch vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 9:10 PM

Are Subarus inexpensive? I don't consider them inexpensive...but I'm a cheap-assed, er, I mean frugal lesbian, so what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 9:11 PM

The 2022 Subaru Forester starts at $25K. I would consider that on the low side for a compact SUV.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 9:13 PM

I feel like a piker schlub for buying one of the last new Chevy Sonics this year.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 9:16 PM

In the NE outside of cities, everyone drives Jeeps, Subaru 4WD, and pickups.

I personally drive a Jeep Wrangler, as it is set up to take my 2 dogs on long trips (2 door with back seat down and large pet bed in back; I can stop and leave the back window all the way up)

Also I can drive safely in snow and around deer. And it's fun. But apart from twice a year long trips, I don't drive often so my C footprint is low and I don't have to worry much about gas.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 9:26 PM

I think that's the trim level where you have to pedal it, though. I think $30-33 is probably more realistic. Not Land Rover level, of course, but not Hyundai level cheap, either. I think lesbians go for reliable more than anything whereas gay men like some flash. There don't seem to be a lot of lesbians that value flash. Just look at our shoes! Comfy, sturdy, long-lasting. Those straight girls and their pointy-toed stilettos are insane.

Anyway, back to cars...I think Jeeps are a close second to Subarus for lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 9:27 PM

[quote]I think that's the trim level where you have to pedal it, though. I think $30-33 is probably more realistic. Not Land Rover level, of course, but not Hyundai level cheap, either.

Sorry, that was in response to R9.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 9:29 PM

Many years ago TV gays told me it was a Jeep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 9:31 PM

I'm gay and had a Jeep Wrangler at one point. Apparently, there is some secret Jeep hand code because when I was driving around in it, other guys in Jeeps would make a hand gesture at me. I thought they were flicking me off at first but realized it was more of a peace sign.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 9:32 PM

Lol R15. When I got my Jeep Wrangler, I didn't know about waving at everyone driving Wranglers. I thought I was hot stuff and everyone was waving at me.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 9:36 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 9:37 PM

R16 Yea so it's a thing right? How funny. A few also would approach me in parking lots to compliment me on it. I bought it used but it had a lot of upgrades on it.

I should have used it more to meet hot guys once I found it was just a friendly gesture.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 9:43 PM

I have a Nissan truck. Before I bought this Nissan truck, I had a Nissan truck. Before I had that Nissan truck, I had a Nissan Sentra, and my gf had a Mazda truck.

Small trucks are quintessentially lesbian. Lesbian Subarus? Only in their marketing department.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 9:46 PM

Then what do you make of this R19?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2021 9:48 PM

I have seen some small rare coups like the Chrysler Crossfire, Mercedes CLK, C-Class and E-Class coupes, Prius, and Audi A4 as popular. Also, of course, Miata.

There was a Ford called the Probe that was popular for a while, and also an early Honda hybrid called the EV Plus and then Insight, both seemed popular among sensible gals.and the Saturn.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2021 9:48 PM

R20? I never met a lesbian with a Subaru, but my BIL has owned them for years, one after another.

Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2021 9:54 PM

R22, are you a butch Repug? Just wondering because you think and write like a straight male Repug (one personal experience outweighing data, etc.) and the only lesbians who do that are usually butch ones.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2021 9:57 PM

And by the way, R20 -- that article is from 2016.

Don't any of you ever check the dates on the "contemporary" articles you post here?

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 9:58 PM

R24 I wasn't posting it to be hostile. Was just curious what you thought. Is 5 years really that long ago though?

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 10:00 PM

R24, sounding more and more like a rude straight male every second.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote] There was a Ford called the Probe that was popular for a while

I wonder why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2021 10:03 PM

The quintessential car for a young gay is one their sugar bought them.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2021 10:04 PM

From the Atlantic article above...

[quote]People joke about lesbians’ affinity for Subarus, but what’s often forgotten is that Subaru actively decided to cultivate its image as a car for lesbians.

And lesbians are loyal and won't forget that, even 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2021 10:04 PM

Sugar daddy*

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] And lesbians are loyal and won't forget that

Like elephants they never forget except for their recent romantic experiences thus the U-Hauls behind those Subarus being rented every few months.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2021 10:09 PM

I think a 1955 Dodge La Femme would be great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2021 10:10 PM

Baby gays will go for a BMW 3 series, those who can't afford a Bimmer go for a Jetta.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote]Like elephants they never forget except for their recent romantic experiences thus the U-Hauls behind those Subarus being rented every few months.

What is the definition of Irish Alzheimers?

When you forget everything except the grudges.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2021 10:48 PM

I've had 4 Jeeps, they are really popular with Gay guys most everywhere, but they can get expensive and they're not great on gas

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2021 10:51 PM

Two guys in a convertible, with the top down. Always looks gay to me. In a Miata even more.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2021 10:54 PM

Lesbians don't have dicks so no need to brag I guess.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 10:55 PM

Saturns (remember them?) were pretty popular among lesbians in the late '90s-'00s. Especially their compact wagon (sort of a less-sporty Outback), and then when it was introduced, their compact SUV, the Vue. They positioned themselves as a "different kind of car company" with their no-haggle, no-pressure sales approach, which especially appealed to female car-buyers.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 11:01 PM

R33, my kids say that every gay guy under 25 they know, drives a BMW X3.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 11:25 PM

Why does one need to drive or have a vehicle when there is good public transport?

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 11:29 PM

Because except for a handful of cities, most people do not have access to good public transportation.

Mini Coopers are total trash, mechanically. My Range Rover needed an $8000 repair two months after it went out of warranty. Junk.

Get a Mercedes…I’ve had eight or ten and they’re pretty much problem-free.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 11:36 PM

Because Rose R40, they don’t allow bikes on the Interstate.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2021 11:38 PM

What did Subaru do, exactly, to win over lesbian buyers?

I drive a Jaguar XF but did consider a Range Rover Velar. I chose the former (nearly new) because it was better value - it is jam packed with equipment and has the AWD system I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2021 11:40 PM

The only areas of the US where being car free is not a huge impediment are like NY, Boston, DC r40. Most of this country is far too car focused.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2021 11:40 PM

Get the Range Rover. Mini Coopers are sweet 16 presents for teen girls. No one takes a man seriously who toots around in a clown car.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2021 11:40 PM

Uber and Lyft

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2021 11:41 PM

I’m thinking about a new car, and one of my top choices is the Subaru Forester Sport with the red/orange accents and panoramic sunroof. Shit, does that make me a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2021 11:43 PM

I don’t mean to be snarky R46, but how old are you?

Too young to remember the obscene prices and routes that regular cabs usually subjected people to?

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2021 11:45 PM

Wrong thread R46, sorry. THought I was posting the “more expensive than it should be” thread.

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2021 11:46 PM

Congrats, you are as dumb as any straight neanderthal r45 who is obsessed about having a big gas guzzler. Do you want a cookie?

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2021 11:52 PM

If it's a Toyota Tacoma, its driver is likely a gay guy. Plus Jeeps, as mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 12:14 AM

Sorry R50, but it's true. You don't have to drive a gas guzzler at all. Get a Tesla if you want to be environmentally smart. But for crissakes don't drive a clown car.

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 12:34 AM

I seem to come across a lot of gay guys with Kia Souls.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 12:44 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned the Mazda RAV. Agree that VW is kind of a gay guy's car.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2021 12:50 AM

I know a few lezzes that still own a Honda Element

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2021 12:59 AM

R54, you surprised nobody has mentioned a car that does not exist???? WTF is a Mazda RAV?

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2021 1:05 AM

I know gay women who love hybrids of many make and models .

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2021 1:10 AM

R40 because how would you find the gays and lesbians if not by their car choices?

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2021 1:11 AM

Every fancy queen I know (including myself) drives a Range Rover if they can afford it. The older models are considered chic and are less expensive. If they haven't found a sugardaddy, gaylings just stay at home during the day or tell everyone their father in California is a Honda dealer.

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2021 2:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!