Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Damn! The Backlash is coming

Delivery Worker Stabbed To Death, E-Bike Stolen On Lower East Side

Police released new surveillance video and said they need help identifying the suspect seen wearing a hoodie.

Police say the 51-year-old man was found cuts to his face and a stab wound to his abdomen on Hester Street near Chrystie Street at around 1:05 a.m. According to WABC-TV, the unidentified victim was on his way to a food delivery when he was attacked. Video footage shows police cordoned off the scene, with detectives behind yellow tape inside Sara D. Roosevelt Park. A Grubhub bag and a helmet can be seen near the police tape. The victim had reportedly flagged down a Parks Department employee for help.

The victim was rushed to Bellevue Hospital and was later pronounced dead. So far the police have no suspects.

An email to Grubhub was not immediately returned.

Delivery workers have been the victims of violence while on the job in separate incidents. In Queens, Xing Long Lin, was on his scooter when he was run over by a driver who then slammed into a restaurant's outdoor dining setup on April 30th. No charges have been brought against the driver. Earlier that same month, Francisco Villalva was fatally shot inside a playground in East Harlem while on the job. Villalva had been approached by a man at gunpoint and demanded to give up his bike. In all three cases, the deliverymen were on the job.

E-bikes are known to cost as high as $2,000, which are costly to delivery workers who earn little pay. Last month, the New York City Council passed a sweeping bill package aimed at improving working condition for delivery workers. They included setting minimum payments per trip for delivery workers, how far they can go to deliver food, and mandatory access to restaurant bathrooms.

^^^ None of which will protect their lives and safety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2021 10:12 AM

Black lives matter!

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 6:48 PM

Latino food delivery guys have been forming self-protection organizations in response. They are starting to take back the streets. The Fuzz have been useless.

New York Magazine had a cover story on this a couple of weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 6:51 PM

Grubbhubb/Seamless need to step up, too, they have the funds to help and improve conditions.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 6:59 PM

I feel terrible for delivery drivers. Give them an extra 10 bucks if you can.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 7:09 PM

R4- I never eat out/ order food from a restaurant. I prepare ALL my food at home.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 7:11 PM

But... I thought areas run by democrats were basically Utopias, while anywhere Republicans were in charge is a living hell?

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 7:15 PM

You push people on the streets by raising prices beyond belief, those people are gonna find ways to survive.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 7:17 PM

Cool R5.

Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 7:20 PM

You sound like a really fun person, R5.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 7:30 PM

R5 left out the word "alone" from his sentence.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 7:33 PM

I respect people who cook instead of eat out all the time. Most white people do the latter. It’s sad.

It’s ok to cook.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 7:33 PM

"Grubbhubb/Seamless need to step up, too, they have the funds to help and improve conditions."

Hahaha, my sides. Like they care.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 7:36 PM

Yet last night there was a segment on the news about the high incarceration rates for blacks. Gee,I wonder why ? The segment claimed systemic racism but of course they would. It has nothing to do with the criminality of a great segment of young black men . Not all mind you,but enough to be a cliche.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 7:38 PM

It all links back to systemic racism and slavery, yes.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 7:39 PM

Most violent stranger upon stranger crimes are committed by a small number of repeat offenders. And not I don't have the stats at my fingertips.

I don't believe in incarceration for most offenses but I do for most violent ones. Most of these people are sociopaths and will just do a repeat performance upon release. Sadly they need to be taken off the streets as long as possible. I also believe in prosecuting violence in prisons fully.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 7:42 PM

R14 It also links to kids raise on the street, born to teen aged mothers who had no chance of a decent life herself.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 8:10 PM

[quote] You sound like a really fun person, [R5].

Well, what does that make you, R9?

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote] Damn! The Backlash is coming

What kind of 'backlash' are you proposing, OP?

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 8:44 PM

Shithole behavior from a shithole city.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 9:21 PM

I don't want a dangerous backlash. I want a measured and effective response to people who will not be policed, people who have no respect for others, people who are violent and destroy communities and neighborhoods with their criminal behavior. These people make it near impossible to raise children safely and in a healthy manner without the danger and terrible influence these miscreants pose. Children should not have to witness crimes constantly nor be scared of being a member of their own community.

We know enough to know who should be off the streets. All we have to do is base it on their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2021 9:32 PM

How about the people from other states just leave? You aren’t actually from here

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2021 9:33 PM

Hoodies should be banned. Perfect disguise for crooks, thieves, gang members amd kooks.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2021 9:37 PM

Boris thread

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2021 9:39 PM

OP is advocating for more lynching because OP is a big ol' genocidal white supremacist. Just my guess.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 9:40 PM

R24, you're an ass.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 9:42 PM

Free will knows no race. So stop excusing behavior with your stupid “systemic racism “ bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2021 9:45 PM

Last year there were two particularly violent muggings in either Regina or Saskatoon (I don't remember which) and the perpetrators were indigenous men. Their defence? They said it was caused by 'colonialism'. Now THAT'S victim mentality!

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote]How about the people from other states just leave? You aren’t actually from here

Why should they? We all know the problem is being caused by people who were born and raised in New York City, so let's not even pretend, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2021 9:51 PM

R28 and why are they causing problems?

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2021 9:53 PM

There are good people on both sides.

DJT

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]I respect people who cook instead of eat out all the time. Most white people do the latter. It’s sad.

Go fuck yourself.

My go-to diner employs a slew of Mexicans and Guatemalans in the kitchen and bussing tables. .All hard workers. All well paid. And all great with the customers.

I also cook at home, but I'm happy that that these guys are working. And the waiters and waitresses make a good living and most have been there for years.

Not everyone can be a college graduate. Not everyone can work in tech.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] I feel terrible for delivery drivers. Give them an extra 10 bucks if you can.

I don’t believe anyone should be injured, but the way they ride around Manhattan, ignoring every traffic rule and pedestrian, I don’t feel sorry for them.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2021 10:00 PM

Yes and most likely he was delivering food to some Jewish girl with vocal fry paying $4000 a month to live in 1 bedroom apt.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2021 10:09 PM

It would be very rewarding if delivery drivers randomly started turning these thugs into Swiss cheese. Make it a deterrent for these shit heads.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2021 10:09 PM

R33 Um like excuse me! I work for my money! I’ll spend it however I want! 👑

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2021 10:10 PM

[quote] Um like excuse me! I work for my money!

Yeah, but your parents pay your rent.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2021 10:16 PM

R36 My daddy is successful and he helps me? He does it out of love? And yes, every sentence sounds like a question?

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote][R28] and why are they causing problems?

What difference does it make? I've got all sorts of problems because of things that happened in my childhood and I can guarantee you that nobody gives a flying fuck about any of it, and just feel that I should accept responsibility for everything and anything that I do.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 10:40 PM

The OP still hasn't explained what his so-called 'backlash' will look like.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 10:41 PM

r14: “It all links back to systemic racism and slavery, yes”.

I disagree with you, and propose an anti discriminatory stance and hold all people accountable for their actions.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2021 1:54 AM

I don’t care why someone is violent. It needs to be addressed and members of society need to be protected from offenders.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2021 1:55 AM

Defunding police compounds crime. I do care about every crime, but violent is clear cut. Shoplifting affects us all....the company losses are put on the future customers and if we don’t consume and pay them, they will choose to remove their business and do business where hey make money. Retail is a business not a nonprofit… They provide a service and we pay for it. If we don’t then there are consequences. For society in the neighborhoods. And then other businesses leave if it’s not physically viable… Then we have shit in our neighborhood. Delivery drivers won’t want to deliver to us in these neighborhoods. We dig our own grave. Then blame the businesses for going to more civilized areas were rules are followed and the social contract as observed. What do we do then? They were being discriminated against because Walgreens doesn’t want to be in our neighborhood? Because you’re poor, black, gay, disabled… Criminals ruin it for the rest of us, if they are not held accountable… We inevitably are.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 3:20 AM

Don’t forget trans you elitist!!

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 3:22 AM

[quote]Defunding police compounds crime.

"Defunding the police" is a Fox News strawman talking point with no connection to reality, but whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 3:23 AM

WE’RE poor etc.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2021 3:24 AM

No, R44, the left wing idiots with no grip on reality keep shouting Defund the Police.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2021 3:27 AM

r44, what do you mean? defunding the police was associated with BLM and battle cry following George Floyd’s death. Local governments took stance on this and cut police budgets. It did happen. Then we saw crime spike. Was it Chicago over Labor Day section of city was a no police zone and murders is the double digits? One a young girl toddler.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2021 3:30 AM

WHAT CITIES HAVE DEFUNDED POLICE? According to a Forbes report from August 2020, at least 13 cities have defunded or are in the process of defunding their police departments:

Cities defunded police departments - National Police Support Fund New York City Washington, D.C. Baltimore Philadelphia Los Angeles San Francisco Atlanta Minneapolis Seattle Salt Lake City Portland, Oregon Hartford, Connecticut Norman Oklahoma, Austin, Texas According to Forbes, funding cuts ranged from $1 billion in New York City to $3.5 million in Seattle and $850,000 in smaller cities like Norman, Oklahoma. However, Forbes also reports that several cities have increased police spending, including Houston, San Diego, Nashville, and Durham, North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 3:33 AM

R5 Omg you deserve an award! You're some kind of hero!

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 3:33 AM

"All we have to do is base it on their behavior."

R20 You sound brilliant, and like you've got it all figured out! Please run for mayor.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 3:35 AM

Our local restaurants made a big push for us to support the local economy and order takeout last year. These poor delivery drivers, knowing the risk I feel very mixed about doing. Now that I think about it, my takeout I usually pick it up myself. It’s always a few assholes ruin it for everybody else Always

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 3:36 AM

r50, I’m curious, What’s your issue with basing on someone’s actions?

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 3:38 AM

Redistribution of funding does not equal defunding.

13 cities do not equal every major city in the United States.

It's a wingnut talking point designed to bash anybody daring to criticize police brutality with no basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 3:51 AM

Losing issue for Democrats: Defund the Police.

Instead of police showing up to your door after you've been burglarized, social workers will appear and ask if you're OK.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2021 4:00 AM

It is true that the Mexican and Asian delivery guys drive their e-bikes on (crowded!) sidewalks way too much lately. It’s really gotten out of hand in 2021. So… I think we probably need at least 200 of them to be murdered by thugs for it to even make a DENT.

Frankly the murderers need to pick up the pace.

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2021 4:53 AM

R49 I applaud those who are self-sufficient.

Too many obese Americans are like Hedonism Bot—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2021 6:15 AM

We support our police, just stay in your lane when we hijack the capitol!

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2021 6:31 AM

If I was delivering food for a living, I’d be armed and would blow the fucking head off a thug who ,tried to rob me.

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2021 10:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!