Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Last Duel Bombs

As expected. Hey Hollywood, still think Adam Driver can put a butt on seat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 5:40 AM

Too bad. It's a solid, old-fashioned costume drama, well worth seeing on the big screen. Ben Affleck is surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 5:27 PM

He reminds me of the Spuds MacKenzie dog.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 5:32 PM

Driver + Damon = Box Office Super Poison. Way too much ugly for one screen.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 5:35 PM

I liked it too, but completely understand why it bombed. It’s a tough movie to sit through, it takes an actual movie star — at a time when he’s a media punching bag — and makes him off-putting in a lot of ways, and it’s in a genre that’s out of fashion.

But I thought the three leads were very good, especially Comer, and also enjoyed Affleck. It’s one of those performances by Ben that shows what he lacks in skill, he can sometimes make up with sheer enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 5:37 PM

Activiaaa🎵

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 5:40 PM

Ben Affleck was pretty great in it. He should do more dynamic supporting turns. I thought it was old Hollywood fun. Matt Damon's pretty great at these oaf types too. Sometimes the movie teetered on parody though, especially the Medieval #MeToo stuff. But the real rape was even more brutal than portrayed on screen apparently.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 6:04 PM

This was a strange film. An old fashioned METICULOUS filmmaking and storytelling, you don't see often these days but with some modern sensibilities and relevance. Uneven, but I liked it a lot overall though. Comer was the acting standout.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 6:10 PM

Ripley Scott films are hit or miss

I wonder how House of Gucci with the Russian-sounding Gaga will do?

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 6:13 PM

*Ridley Scott

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] I thought it was old Hollywood fun.

[quote] An old fashioned METICULOUS filmmaking and storytelling, you don't see often these days

They should've emphasized that in the marketing rather than the seriousness.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 6:14 PM

Saw the trailer for Last Duel. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck doing a Metoo movie after decades of being associated with Weinstein. Please spare me.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 6:15 PM

R11 Matt Damon is a fag with womanly hips. Tell everyone.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 6:18 PM

[Quote] I wonder how House of Gucci with the Russian-sounding Gaga will do?

I have a friend who is born, raised, and lives in Northern Italy and, based on the trailer, he says Gaga's accent is solid.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]It’s one of those performances by Ben that shows what he lacks in skill, he can sometimes make up with sheer enthusiasm.

He was so good in this. His lane should be supporting after as he isn't interesting in leading man roles.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 6:27 PM

Who wants to see a movie that revolves around rape.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 9:30 PM

Damon can.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 12:58 AM

Nobody wants to see that overwrought mid evil shit!

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 1:07 AM

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 10/15 **3**

Speaking of horrible movies, everyone knew the movie ("The Last Duel") starring A list actors/best friends (Ben Affleck/Matt Damon) was going to be problematic from the start. The movie is boring and then somehow gets even more boring. Despite all that, the A list actor (Adam Driver) with the larger role still wants the studio to honor their commitment for a huge FYC campaign to get him an Oscar nod.

"The Last Duel"/Ben Affleck/Matt Damon/Adam Driver

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 2:59 AM

R18 That article makes me want to vomit. The very people who were complicit in the abuse or coverup of abuse in the higher ranks of Hollywood produce woke garbage like this and expect to be taken seriously. Get the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 3:13 AM

Almost all actors mean nothing at the box office anymore. Damon & Affleck have never been the box office draws Hollywood likes to think they are.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote] Damon & Affleck have never been the box office draws Hollywood likes to think they are.

Batman. Correct. Affleck failed to revitalize that franchise, although he was said to be the "only actor" who could be the next Batman.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote]An old fashioned METICULOUS filmmaking and storytelling, you don't see often these days

No, it is a STAUNCH old fashioned METICULOUS filmmaking and storytelling, you don't see often these days

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 3:29 AM

Hold me Ben. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 3:29 AM

Ridley should stick to his bread and butter such as thrillers and action films. I would've said sci fi but his last few attempts were terrible. Nobody asked for this movie which just stinks of BS.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 3:34 AM

I'm baffled at how many times they can make movies about the same killer chasing her. I watched the last one because people on here were saying it was Oscar worthy. It was the same old stuff.

Is this one better?

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 4:45 AM

It shoulda been called, "Lice, B.O. And Syph".

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 5:34 AM

[quote] It shoulda been called, "Lice, B.O. And Syph"

And that’s just Ben Affleck as he arrives on set.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 5:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!