Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

For Your DL Entertainment - Let's Discuss Peter O'Toole

To keep from hijacking N & A thread......

Someone posted Peter O"Toole was most hammy British actor. Coming up against Laurence Olivier I find that hard to credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 29, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote] Someone posted Peter O"Toole was most hammy British actor.

Plenty O'Ham.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 2:39 AM

What's "N & A", precious? What's "N & A"?

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 2:40 AM

Would, would, would.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 2:40 AM

I love him, I absolutely love him! He's capable of infinitely more than ham mode, he can also be quiet and delicate, or loopy and weird, but always totally charismatic. He really is a fantastic actor, one of those rare birds who can do anything - comedy or drama, historical or modern, war or peace, hero or villain, romantic or repellent, etc. A unique talent with tremendous range, and good looks that lasted until old age.

I've had a mild crush on him for most of my adult life, as you might guess, but not just a crush. I'm both hormonal, AND a huge fan!

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 5:12 AM

[quote] He really is a fantastic actor

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 5:13 AM

Saw him in a play. Drunk and embarrassing. I felt bad for the rest of the cast. He was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 5:28 AM

In film Dr. Zhivago Alexander Maximovich Gromeko reading a newspaper exclaims in disgust "they've gone and killed the tsar!". His daughter asks why Soviets would do such a thing, and her father replies "to show there is no going back"... Truer words were never spoken.

Things were still touch and go even after Russia reached a treaty with Germany to end hostilities. Lenin and Soviets were not sure of their success in holding onto Russia, and indeed the White Army did have some significant gains.

If things went the other way and monarchy was restored things would end very badly for Lenin and everyone else. On another front Russia would return to a system of government Lenin was morally opposed.

So as with the Bourbons and few other royals, you simply cut things off at the head so to speak. Eliminate a monarch, his heir and anyone else you can lay hands upon that has slightest claim to throne.

This is exactly what Lenin and his nasty band of Soviets did; almost without exception they butchered and murdered any Romanov in Russia they could lay hands upon. This included the women like Alexandra, her daughters, etc... Women had ruled Russia at least once before, so Lenin wasn't taking any chances....

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 12:06 AM

R7 posted in error, please disregard.

Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 12:07 AM

Only reason sat though that awful film "High Spirits" was to gaze upon Steve Guttenberg in hopes of seeing him yet again shirtless. Could have done with more of that and less of by then aged Peter O'Toole and his "British teef...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 1:31 AM

Yeah Baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 1:32 AM

I adored him in Goodbye, Mr. Chips

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2021 1:33 AM

When we’re done let’s talk about Dick Bigness.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2021 1:35 AM

Lenin and Soviets generally feared White Army would be assisted by Germany, France, Great Britain and anyone else invading Russia to put down revolution, and restore monarchy. Germany and Great Britain at least had monarchs who were related to the Romanovs on both sides.

United States did have a military presence in Russia from 1918 to 1920.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2021 1:41 AM

Great read by his ex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 1:42 AM

Again wrong thread.

Disregard R13 and carry on.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 1:42 AM

[quote] Great read by his ex.

Livia and TIberius were married to each other in the alternative universe of film.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 1:44 AM

By the way, don't touch the figs....

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 1:55 AM

GD Steve Guttenberg was hot as fuck when young.

Never under estimate those dark shaggy Jew guys.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 2:01 AM

An ordinary couple...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 2:16 AM

My Favorite Year, Masada, How To Steal A million Dollars. At one time he was my favourite actor. He was funny, riveting and memorable. Who cares if he bordered on ham when you are that charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 4:47 AM

R2 Nicholas and Alexandra.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 5:09 AM

[quote] … he can also be quiet and delicate…

When and where?

I can imagine being quiet after he's fallen down drunk.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 5:25 AM

Peter O'Toole actually was quite good in "The Last Emperor"

His hammy acting style was put in a very tight lead, as such performance was brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 5:33 AM

R15 That's an attractive picture— especially compared to the long nose he had previously.

The Britmovie website says her first nose job was 1952.

[quote] She suffered facial, nose, and jaw injuries after the car she was in was hit from behind. Being before the seat belt era, she was propelled through the windscreen, hitting the rear-view mirror on the way.

[quote] After some initial patch-up work, she was operated on by Sir Archibald McIndoe, one of the pioneers of Reconstructive Maxillofacial Surgery. (He pioneered the use of flap construction to rebuild the facial features and hands of Airmen who had been burned during the air battles of World War II.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 5:42 AM

No, R24. The attractive picture was at R19!

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 5:59 AM

fucker kept at it till the end

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 6:16 AM

[quote] fucker kept at it till the end

What? Kept at what?

Your sentence has no verb.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 6:20 AM

He was great in the lion in winter.

So was the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 8:58 AM

Bad nose job.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 9:34 AM

Amusing and sauced on the Tonight Show with Johnny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2021 9:39 AM

Gorgeous man!

He almost drank himself to death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2021 10:50 AM

He seems like a relic from a lost world; gets cast in a big budget film for his star power & reputation only to show up falling down drunk and make a hammy mess of things or deliver a brilliant stand up performance that put everyone else to shame. A guy like him could not exist in Hollywood today

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2021 1:58 PM

R32

Not with those teeth anyway....

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2021 3:05 PM

The meta element of a drunken movie star made [italic]My Favorite Year[/italic] more fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2021 5:56 PM

Told this story here before. Being a life long movie fan, I have never written a fan letter in my life but one day out of the blue I wrote to the The Academy of Arts and Sciences aka The Oscars Academy. I wrote they need to award O'Toole the honorary, they can't let him leave the world without an Oscar like they did with Richard Burton. So six months later they announce him as thats year's honoree. Cool I thought, but he promptly turned down the award. Now I don't think my letter was the reason but I thought it was hilarious I stuck my nose in and he says no. His children finally convinced him to go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Peter O'Toole receiving an Honorary Oscar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Mom & Dad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2021 6:35 PM

The Stunt Man is incredible. The cinematography is insane. The complexity of what's going on in this shot is totally lost on viewers used to digital photography and tiny cameras.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2021 6:48 PM

PS Barbara Hershey's accent here is awful. I think the actress she is playing isn't supposed to be a great actress

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2021 6:49 PM

Hershey's acting improved a lot after this: by the mid to late 80s she was giving some really memorable performance.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2021 6:54 PM

@R35

[quote] I wrote they need to award O'Toole the honorary, they can't let him leave the world without an Oscar like they did with Richard Burton.

So you realised back then that O'Toole was drinking himself to death.

His body fell apart over one decade.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2021 9:08 PM

His body desiccated.

It was wasting-away disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 10:22 PM

As much as I loved Gregory Peck (and, in retrospect, would have given him the Oscar for either Twelve O'Clock High or The Keys of the Kingdom), I think O'Toole was much more deserving for Lawrence of Arabia--he managed to make an enigmatic figure both charismatic and still mysterious and suggested layers of complexity.

And he was gorgeous in it--especially in the white robe.

And he was certainly more deserving than either John Wayne or Cliff Robertson the years they won--while no one can replace Donat as my Mr. Chips, O'Toole brought a different take to the role and, along with Clark, made the romance lovely. He seemed more urbane than Donat's sweet classicist, but that was a function of Rattigan's script and the decision to make Clark a music hall performer (with a hysterical performance by Mrs. O'Toole). I think the script for The Lion in Winter feels too self-consciously aiming to be Noel Coward goes medieval, but O'Toole made a great Henry. In fact, his Henry in Becket was more interesting than Harrison redoing Henry Higgins as a waxwork and even the farcical style of My Favorite Year (with melancholy tones around his neglected daughter) is more interesting than Kingsley as Gandhi (one of the most tedious Best Picture and Best Actor winners--Kingsley is a good actor, but this was not his most interesting role). I've never seen The Stunt Man--I hear he's wonderful and the film is supposed to be good as well.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 11:33 PM

O'Toole was fine with everyone, except perhaps if one were married to him. He remained or strove to remain detached, and as his more-active alcoholism receded into the mists of half-misremembered time, he got funnier, sharper and wiser. And certainly his Lawrence is one of the finest film performances ever.

Most hammy? Lord. Olivier, yes. But add all actors whose capacity far exceed their material and context, or who are trying to work under the wrong influence.

But one thing I didn't see with O'Toole was an inability to accept other talent, which differs from some of the "best." He wasn't jealous. But he'd certainly let his imperious impishness out when the occasion seemed warranted.

Compared to Richard Harris, Richard Burton, Oliver Reed and Robert Newton, O'Toole managed to have a late career (with a nod to Harris managing a dithered wizard he died playing) and a pulse longer than most.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 11:38 PM

r42 dear god he was only 70 there. I think 10 years ago i thought of that as very old when I saw O'Toole. It was just the alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2021 1:19 AM

His mind was not addled though. Quite impressive.

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote] His mind was not addled though

What makes you say that? Did you see him tabulate his bar tab? Did you see him stuff up everything for the last 40 years of his life?

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2021 1:26 AM

The fuck? Listen to his interviews. Your mama was a drunk I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2021 1:30 AM

Look at the bags under his eyes.

He was haggard just 3 years after his big breakthrough film,

He drank like a sewer-rat until he was comatose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2021 1:32 AM

He died in his 80's so he lived longer than most.

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2021 1:57 AM

I just wonder if George Cukor could have kept O'Toole's drinking under control to make a satisfactory Henry Higgins in 1964?

A 32 year old Higgins would have made him 3 years younger than Audrey.

But it might have made a more lively show with a younger Colonel Pickering and a younger Mrs Higgins.

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] He died in his 80's

But he looked like a corpse for the last 38 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2021 2:06 AM

He was great in "The Stunt Man." You need to pay close attention because it's a tricky film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2021 2:19 AM

O'Toole was laugh out loud funny through out "My Favorite Year". He lost the Golden Globe to Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie" and the Oscar to Ben Kingsley in "Gandhi"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2021 2:28 AM

Yes, he could play things big and hammy and play larger-than-life characters like Alan Swann, make going over the top seem completely believable. But there are some here who unfairly dismiss him as just a ham, because he had so much charisma and screen presence that if he held still and whispered he'd still have so much impact that some here would dismiss it as hamminess.

But yeah, when he chose to ham it up, he went BIG! Is "My Favorite Year" on youtube?

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2021 3:01 AM

[quote] he can also be quiet and delicate…

[quote] if he held still and whispered

R55, are you also R4?

Which films are you talking in which suppressed his normal hamminess and was 'quiet, delicate, still and whispery'?

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2021 3:08 AM

He was so bloody charming in everything. How did he do it? What a rare gift.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2021 3:21 AM

Because of this thread I watched "The Ruling Class" for free on youtube, and bought a virtual copy of "My Favorite Year". Wonderful movies, and holy christ O'Toole is turning it up to 11 in both!

But he totally works in both roles. Some movie needs a star who plays it big.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2021 7:19 AM

He was hawt before the abominable nose job.

Has that been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2021 7:33 AM

R59 The abominable nose job was mentioned at R24, R29.

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2021 8:03 AM

I think he was more like a theatre actor than a movie actor. That's where the hammieness comes from.

by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2021 9:00 AM

R61

Could be.....

Many actors, especially from Peter O'Toole's generation that came from theatre had problems toning things down for the intimacy of films. Used to grand acting that could be seen and felt in the far reaches of back rows in nosebleed sections, they need to learn working in a smaller box.

Happily this is where a good director comes in to play.

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2021 9:08 AM

R30 Thank you! He was so fun to look at. Great bone structure, great hair, playful, etc.

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2021 8:46 PM

Think how they would have "packaged" him in this day and age. His teeth would have been even and chiclets white.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2021 8:49 PM

Peter O"Toole was Irish, not English.

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2021 8:53 PM

This scene never fails to make me laugh....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2021 9:25 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd say Peter was on the DL team! Love him!

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2021 9:43 PM

My guess is that he's just an artsy effete straight Brit, but what do I know, I never got a chance to hit on him and see what happened.

by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2021 11:41 PM

R67 Are you suggesting that "the DL team! are hopeless drunks who abuse their wives?

R68 Are you pretending to be Tallulah Bankhead?

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2021 12:33 AM

He seems positively gurlie in that Tonight Show clip.

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote] positively gurlie

'In Vino Veritas'

He was supposedly raped playing TE Lawrence in 'Lawrence Of Arabia' in 1962

He was supposedly raped playing the three angels in "The Bible" In 1966.

And I've been told he was raped in the lead role in 'Lord Jim' in 1965. But this film is so messy that I have trouble trying to watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2021 12:45 AM

R67 here. Nope. I meant you DLr's all have a certain, something, where people like Peter O'Toole and Paul Lynde would fit right in. It isn't a word, maybe a series of phrases, not sure, but I like it.

Too bad O'Toole was a wife-beater.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2021 1:38 AM

Mon Dieu. He was raped all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2021 2:20 AM

"He was supposedly raped playing TE Lawrence in 'Lawrence Of Arabia' in 1962

"He was raped playing the three angels in "The Bible" In 1966.

"And I've been told he was raped in the lead role in 'Lord Jim' in 1965. "

Tell me more! Because I've seen "LaA" about ten bazillion times, but can someone fill me in on the scene in "The Bible" and "Lord Jim"? Because I'm not about to watch either.

by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2021 5:48 AM

[quote] but can someone fill me in on the scene in "The Bible"

O'Toole walks into the tent in the twin towns of Sodom and Gomorrah.

He looks as normal as Peter OToole can look normal (see picture below).

But he emerges five minutes later and his eyes are popping. He was transfixed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2021 5:57 AM

Was he a gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2021 11:47 PM

I'm not an actor I'm a movie star!

by Anonymousreply 77October 29, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote] I'm a movie star!

You're an effete drunk!

by Anonymousreply 78October 29, 2021 12:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!