Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The workforce is striking back. Are you one of them?

"American workers are now flexing their muscles for the first time in decades."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2022 3:14 AM

[quote] Many just don’t want to return to backbreaking or mind-numbing low-wage shit jobs.

No problem. The next caravan of workers will arrive from Venezuela in two days. Why do you think Uncle Joe isn’t stopping them at the border?

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2021 1:56 AM

No but I'm making good money. Good luck to those on strike. They deserve better.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2021 2:02 AM

Hollywood is going on strike, I guess I will be watching classic shows again.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2021 2:55 AM

R3 yeah, it's ok for people who are no longer looking for work or are working. Which is most of data lounge. But you're right. It's affect Hollywood.

"No one calls it a general strike. But in its own disorganized way it’s related to the organized strikes breaking out across the land – Hollywood TV and film crews, John Deere workers, Alabama coal miners, Nabisco workers, Kellogg workers, nurses in California, healthcare workers in Buffalo.

Disorganized or organized, American workers now have bargaining leverage to do better. After a year and a half of the pandemic, consumers have pent-up demand for all sorts of goods and services.

But employers are finding it hard to fill positions."

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2021 3:07 AM

[bold]Powering the picket line: Workers are turning to tech in their labor battles

Employee activists are using digital tools like Facebook, Twitter, Signal and Zoom to fuel solidarity.[/bold]

. . .

As workers across America leave their jobs at staggering rates — a record 4.3 million quit in August — many are taking to social media and using other digital tools to advocate for their rights. Thanks to their ease of use during the pandemic, workers are able to organize strikes more effectively than ever before, bringing attention to their causes and ensuring the public knows what they are fighting for. Across many different industries, from health care to manufacturing, technology and entertainment, workers are powering the picket line through the use of technology.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 5:36 PM

I dunno, mildly. Professors are especially flakey during the epidemic, and administrators aren't doing their jobs with any proactivity. A colleague just went out for several weeks and the dean asked me if I could teach his course and I said well, I guess so, what's the compensation scheme? No answer.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Wages were stagnant for years and employers got away with a lot of shit but COVID has turned the tables on employers.

People want better working conditions, pay and benefits. It’s like the individual revolution with a modern twist.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 5:51 PM

Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 5:53 PM

When the gravy train comes to its final destination, a solid GOP Congress next election cycle, people will be begging for jobs again in early 2023.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 6:09 PM

Why the Dems don't leverage this quitting of the workforce as a political weapon against the Cons is so mystery.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2021 7:19 AM

Good on the workers. It's high time the US ACTUALLY abolished slavery.

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2021 8:33 AM

People had to show up for work during the Kentucky tornado. And they did! Slavery is within.

by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote]Hollywood is going on strike, I guess I will be watching classic shows again.

Why? They produce garbage nowadays. Aren’t they already on a creative strike?

by Anonymousreply 13December 19, 2021 8:19 PM

After the Kellogg's strike started and Kellogg's decided to hire scabs, people flooded the application website with bogus information in order to block Kellogg's.

by Anonymousreply 14December 20, 2021 5:17 AM

Illegals are too stupid and lazy r1. Their welfare use rates are astounding.

by Anonymousreply 15December 20, 2021 7:32 AM

Are the Democrats harnessing this coiled up fury? It's potentially a tsunami than can alter the political landscape.

by Anonymousreply 16December 20, 2021 8:10 AM

[quote]When the gravy train comes to its final destination,

What "gravy train"? Who is living well in right now that wasn't before the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2021 2:01 PM

Did you wonder if Datalounge is really being trolled? Check out R15's other posts:

[bold]California population: Fewer coming, more leaving as coronavirus fuels seismic migratory shift[/bold]

You mean the voter fraud r44?

[bold]California population: Fewer coming, more leaving as coronavirus fuels seismic migratory shift[/bold]

Mass illegal immigration has destroyed that state. You voted for it, you deal with it.

[bold]FBI Raids James O’Keefe’s Apartment Saturday As Part of Ashley Biden Diary Investigation[/bold]

Biden IS a pervy monster. His entire family, siblings included are corrupt garbage. His children are vile. There are consequences to election fraud. People are seeing that now.

by Anonymousreply 18December 20, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote]Spotted this economic commentary in the bathroom of a rest stop off I-95. Wonder if this anonymous poet works here or was just passing thru.

[quote](yes, this tweet was written on the toilet)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 20, 2021 9:16 PM

Kellogg's union members ratify a new contract, ending a nearly 3-month strike

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2021 9:42 PM

Congratulations Kellogg’s union members!

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2021 6:25 AM

Love it. The american worker has been fucked for too long. Wages and benefits should be increasing.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2021 6:44 AM

Where are wages increasing? It ain't NYC.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2021 6:50 AM

As a federal employee, our wage increase was a set 2.7%... Whoopdee-doo....

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2021 4:49 PM

Workers at Amazon are close to forming a union. The teamsters are reviving.

A trend?

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2022 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!