Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mattress Suggestions/Recommendations

I've started looking to upgrade my mattress and did do a thread search but only turned up boxspring info, (irrelevant, have a platform). But I'm looking at various price point 'hybrid ' options that use viscoelastic memory foam and gel layers with coil technology and the price range is HUGE. Some places are all about haggling, others smaller and more straightforward in their sales and pricing but they don't tend to carry more expensive brands (although will order what you want, just not the same range as larger volume places).

How much does the brand matter here? I really loved the Beautyrest Pressuresmart, which would be about 2400.00 (although negotiated a total of almost 1800.00) I like extra firm, and have several spine and nerve issues that necessitate a really good mattress, and I'm also on the smaller size, but soft mattresses, I swear I can feel the coils.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2021 3:57 PM

Avoid the body foam. It's like quick sand. I laterally could not roll over. I want a bed I can sleep on not in.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2021 1:33 AM

^You sleep fat

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 12:22 AM

I recommend you some thing that soak up the liquid Best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 12:24 AM

“^You sleep fat”

You ready to go to the mattresses, missy?

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 12:30 AM

Consumer reports says to not spend more than 1000 on a mattress. They also said that people report no advantage to gel in mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 12:31 AM

R1 thank you for the reply. I'm looking at hybrids, which have layers of viscoelastic memory foam and gel layers on top of a coil bed. Resulting in a cooler sleep, while being able to come EXTREMELY firm. The firmer the better, really, but from some sellers the firmness seems to cost more (which is fine if they're quality products vs cheap off gassing crap).

P.S. thank you former-first whore, but it's a watersport free space (aside from what the garden variety mattress pad provides for protection.)

I'm just not sure how much brand matters, and if anyone else has any experience to share regarding these types of mattresses.

This thread turned up much less than I was anticipating. Maybe a Tasteful Friends post would've had a higher yield, but I thought DL would know what mattresses take the most of a beating while keeping on ticking, but nothing. Same from the pro-orthopedic demographic, nada.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 12:46 AM

I cannot imagine how that purple grid thing works. I'd have it flattened in no time.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 12:46 AM

All I can say is read the customer reviews of each individual mattress. Find a site with plenty of these and you'll get a good idea of each one. I was interested in a memory foam mattress until I read all the reviews about how hot they were. Some of the new fangled tech ones are hard and uncomfortable. Hot as in make you feel hot and sweaty not hot as in cool.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 12:48 AM

I just bought a natural, all-latex mattress because my poly foam mattress had worn out (after only six years). I was skeptical the first few days but I love it now and will never buy a non-latex mattress again. If you want a bed you sleep "on" rather than "in" (which I also prefer), then you should look at all-latex mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 12:49 AM

I like my Aireloom brand mattress, but it ain't cheap.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 12:50 AM

R5 I initially did a search with consumer reports after trying mattresses in a store, and their first recommendations are mostly for hybrid mattresses, and they're all atleast 1000 or more. Does the publication have different suggestions?

R10, ok, but what is its price point? I'm looking at a range from 1000-5000.00, a pretty good gap there, but thanks for the brand name, will check out.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 12:53 AM

R9 Care to brand-drop? Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 12:55 AM

I like my Avocado , it was about $1500 and is very firm.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 12:57 AM

R12/OP, I bought mine from SleeponLatex; their website is sleeponlatex.com. You can buy also from them on Amazon.

I bought mine in Medium, and I like a firm mattress, and it is very firm and supportive. Their Firm mattress is supposed to feel like a carpeted floor.

My bedroom sort of smelled like burned rubber for the first few days but the smell is completely gone now and I am thrilled with the mattress. Only $1000 for a queen, too.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 12:58 AM

'I just bought a natural, all-latex mattress because my poly foam mattress had worn out (after only six years). I was skeptical the first few days but I love it now and will never buy a non-latex mattress again. If you want a bed you sleep "on" rather than "in" (which I also prefer), then you should look at all-latex mattresses.'

What is 'natural' about an all latex mattress, you spaz? it sounds like a hard mattress from your description.

—Anonymous

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 12:58 AM

I went with wink mattresses. Best thing I ever bought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 1:02 AM

Hi R15, there is a difference between "natural" and "synthetic" latex. The mattress I bought was natural latex, not synthetic latex.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 1:11 AM

R10, R13, R14, R16 Thank you, have some brands to further my research.

The last 20 minutes was more helpful than the prior 24.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 1:12 AM

r18 - I chose the winkbed, not hte other two. I went with the review suggestions on extra firm which is not as extra firm as a store-bought extra firm. I was perfect. It replaced a 3000 dollar Simmons that sagged after 7 years. Simmons would not honor the warranty saying it was acceptable sag. Wink offers a better warranty and sag guarantee.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 5:11 PM

Try to find other reviews other than those on the manufacturer's site. Amazon, e.g.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2021 5:17 PM

Saatva is the best...we have one they event take your old mattress

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote]Try to find other reviews other than those on the manufacturer's site. Amazon, e.g.

You can't trust the reviews on Amazon either. I've gotten a handful of free Amazon gift cards in exchange for good products reviews, my latest order came with an offer for a $75 gift card for a good review.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2021 5:46 PM

There's like 10,000 other threads on this subject OP. Do a search. I know there was one as recently as three months ago.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2021 5:46 PM

Check out the Rizzo knows web site they review almost every bed in a box - and he aint bad to look at.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 11:33 PM

That would be here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2021 1:19 AM

Like r21 we have a Saatva, their Loom & Leaf model and love it. We bought it 5 years ago and paid $1500 for a King, and will never go back to springs! Memory foam all the way, we definitely sleep on it, not in it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2021 1:31 AM

Amazon is full of fake reviews. Be sure to get the Fakespot plugin on your computer if you're looking at Amazon reviews to help make your decision.

I think Amazon made Apple take the Fakespot app off of App Store, so AFAIK you can't use it on your phone; it's gotta be a computer.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2021 1:34 AM

I bought this one earlier in the year and have been happy with it. It is firm, but less firm than the Avocado.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2021 1:38 AM

R22 is exactly right-- I didn't see that post until after I posted at R27.

I ordered whitening strips for $18 last month and the company mailed me an offer for a $15 gift card for a "wonderful review."

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2021 1:40 AM

Motherfuckeress

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 1:41 AM

R13 They're quite nice, but too soft for my degree of back/spine issues. R24 That guys site is looking like a good resource, R25 Another good resource, thanks!! Thanks so much for all the recommendations. (Also did another thread search and NADA). Really helpful and possibly fruitful.

I'm leaning toward Saatva and Aireloom, also like Dreamcloud, still haven't checked out Wink, or Nectar yet, but am still doing research.

I'd gone to another store that has a decent reputation, but they seemed to have gotten that as a good mediocre mattress store. It's pathetic what people value, in NW CT, a bargain is more appealing to the masses than quality that's expensive but much healthier. Also, the market is really heavily monopolized by Mattress Firm, which I thought had decent pieces but they're apparently quite a shady operation.

It's a shame no one has all of these in one place to try. Times like this I miss the convenience of NY. CTs options are pithy. I can buy anything online but this one purchase is making me nervous, especially because the prices have seemingly doubled in the last 3-5 years, restock fees make mistakes very costly.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2021 2:44 AM

Avocado is the firmest of all these mattresses listed, if that is too soft, you should just go with a futon type mattress.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2021 2:48 AM

R32 Avocado has their firmest rated at 7.5 out of 10. I spoke with a rep, and that number only applies to the 100% foam variation. For some it's splitting hairs, but Saatva has an 8 in their classic mattress line, and that's closer to what I'm looking for.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2021 1:30 AM

R27 I just added the fakespot app to my android, so it works. Or there is still the fakespot.com website.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2021 2:04 AM

OP, I have a Saatva. I like extra firm and am a back sleeper. In reading Saatva’s materials, they really push the medium firm version and say only extreme people will want the firmest version. Well…I got the firmest version and it’s perfect for me (after the first couple days that left me sore).

My only complaint is it is heavy as fuck!! Harder to make the bed, and I’d buy a size up in sheets because it is really thick.

It’s only been 2 years, but I’m loving it so far.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2021 2:15 AM

Despite all your princess and the pea squealing over your overpriced foam mattresses, most of the most popular mattresses on Amazon are inner spring, and retail for less than $300. I have one of them, purchased in 2017 on sale for $179. It is perfectly comfortable and does all the mattress things.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2021 3:42 AM

Wink has an option for heavy people - not that I am saying you are but it offers their firmest mattress. I went with the extra firm. Love it My previous one was a Simmions Black Label Beautyrest firm pillow top. This was firmer. This one is unique because it is a mix of laytex and coils/springs and smaller springs - individually wrapped like a simmons.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2021 3:30 PM

I had to buy a mattress. I wasn't gonna pay $2K to $3K for it though. Bought a bed frame and a queen size brand new for $350.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2021 3:43 PM

I used to replace my mattress about every 5 years. For the last 10 years I have been sleeping on a 100% Talalay natural latex mattress and, after about a week of getting used to it, I have loved every night on it. And it's barely got any signs of use. I'm sure I'll get at least another 10 years out of it. As a bonus, latex naturally repels dust mites. I keep mine in an allergy encasement anyway, which I do with all my pillows and mattresses.

For the moron above saying that latex is "not natural," Google is your friend and assumptions are your enemy. There is such a thing as artificial latex, but natural latex is common. Have you heard of this site called Wikipedia? It's helpful to consult it before you shoot off your mouth.

"Latex as found in nature is a milky fluid found in 10% of all flowering plants (angiosperms). It is a complex emulsion that coagulates on exposure to air, consisting of proteins, alkaloids, starches, sugars, oils, tannins, resins, and gums. It is usually exuded after tissue injury. In most plants, latex is white, but some have yellow, orange, or scarlet latex. Since the 17th century, latex has been used as a term for the fluid substance in plants, deriving from the Latin word for 'liquid.' ...The word latex is also used to refer to natural latex rubber, particularly non-vulcanized rubber. Such is the case in products like latex gloves, latex condoms and latex clothing. "

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] And it's barely got any signs of use.

Are you a friend of Dorothy... Zbornack?

by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2021 2:05 AM

What brand do you have, R39?

by Anonymousreply 41October 25, 2021 11:37 AM

Another vote for Saatva. Best mattress ever.

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote]Saatva is the best...we have one they event take your old mattress

Another vote for Saatva; it wasn't cheap, but it's an excellent mattress. I'm a side sleeper & it really did help with my neck/shoulder issues

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2021 11:45 AM

All of the people who've gone with Saatva, how was the wait time? That seems to be one of the biggest critiques I've found.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2021 2:40 PM

You sleep on a mattress?

I suppose you also support the destruction of the Amazon rainforests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2021 2:45 PM

Stearns and Foster mattresses cost more but are a great investment. I bought a queen size ten years ago and loved it. When I moved I had room for a kingsize bed, so I bought another S&F and put the smaller one in the guest room. Both mattresses are so incredibly comfortable. S&F are still made by hand and weigh a ton due to the gauge and quantity of coils inside. Neither mattress has shown any signs of sagging. (I turn them whenever we "spring forward" and "fall back".)

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2021 3:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!