Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best gift places for holiday gifts

I'm planning holiday presents for my family and I think I'd like to do more than just Amazon gift cards this year. I saw a Godiva chocolate ad and was browsing the offerings but I know that Godiva has lost its cachet as "luxury" chocolate among DL's refined tastemakers. So I thought I'd make a thread and see what was currently good amongst various gift categories, like chocolate, textiles like blankets, gifty things, etc. Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2021 4:10 AM

Too late. Better luck next year.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2021 10:50 PM

I really like the Uncommon Goods website. Or you can go super vintage with the Vermont Country Store.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 10:52 PM

Dollar General

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2021 10:57 PM

Both good suggestions r2! I'd forgotten about Uncommon Goods.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2021 11:00 PM

Order chocolate through a somewhat well known American chocolate maker such as See's.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 11:19 PM

Things Remembered, of course

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2021 11:27 PM

I only want my Swiss chocolate from Le Restaurant de l'Hôtel de Ville. Everything else is déclassé at best.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2021 11:28 PM

I’d prefer a Swiss guy myself. A hot one that doesn’t yodel

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2021 11:29 PM

Buy them The Velvetiser from luxury brand Hotel Chocolat.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2021 11:29 PM

Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 11:34 PM

Walmart

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2021 11:36 PM

The chocolates from this place are delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2021 11:36 PM

Restaurant de l'Hôtel de Ville is not a chocolatier. However there are plenty of excellent ones in towns of Vaud. I don't know if Blondel in Lausanne ships, but it is as good as the Zurich shops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2021 11:38 PM

A great blanket that everyone seems to love, are the HBC Stripes ones from Hudson's Bay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 11:40 PM

Aw r10. Damn Brexit!

[quote]Temporary suspension of international deliveries / We are undertaking some required Brexit systems development and whilst we carry this out we regret we are currently unable to deliver internationally.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 11:46 PM

r13 that website is gorgeous! I like their storefront too.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 11:47 PM

Prepaid cremations

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 11:53 PM

Are you near Peekskill, NY? We have lots of fun and unique gift items at our store, Over Our Heads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 11:53 PM

Another shout out for Uncommon Goods. Recently I left a couple of negative product reviews on their site. I had bought a pair of slippers and a bottle of air plant spray. The slippers weren't as comfortable as I had hoped, and the air plant spray killed my tillandsia. They emailed me an apology, and they also refunded me the entire amount of my purchase. I am extremely impressed. You rarely see that level of customer service these days.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2021 12:01 AM

R13 marry me.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2021 12:03 AM

What's a good weighted blanket?

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2021 12:04 AM

Is this place Markham and Fitz any good?

I get annoyed when chocolate I buy has the origin (or worse, photos of the workers who harvested the beans) prominently displayed on it. Just let me know it's fair trade and go, I don't need all the other feel good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2021 12:09 AM

I could marry you but I won't be able to keep you in Blondel Chocolats and les tables étoilées de la haute gastronomie Suisse Romande. Been to Crissier a few times on someone else's centime.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2021 12:12 AM

r18 I preferred Edna's Edibles!

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2021 12:14 AM

R22 I don't know but just because the chocolate is woke doesn't mean its good. We have all kinds of pricy woke artisanal chocolate in Switzerland now but its never better than traditional chocolatiers and often its quite meh.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2021 12:19 AM

I remember liking Red Envelope several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2021 12:25 AM

It's great to give woke products to people who are woke and consume woke products. They will like it even if its flawed. However, don't give woke products as gifts to people who don't much care about these things, unless the woke product is really really good compared to all products.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2021 12:33 AM

I used Yummy Bazaar to send my sister her birthday gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2021 1:03 AM

R26 wow, it's been ages since I thought about them! It looks like the brand got sold and is no longer standalone, and is now a brand for gifts.com.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2021 3:47 AM

R27 Yeah I just don't know what it is with chocolate in particular that makes them want to emphasize that. I don't really care that the beans were harvested in Ghana by the Freed Farmers Collective and roasted by a fourth generation family business reknowned for its trailblazing workers' rights charter. A chocolate bar isn't a J. Peterman catalog.

And I ESPECIALLY don't want to see a two-toned photo of some field worker harvesting beans and looking content. Give me a stylized drawing of a nude Anglo-Saxon woman on a horse anyday.

It's not that I don't CARE about those things, I do - I just don't like being made to feel like buying a chocolate bar is a noble act. And I don't think other people should feel that way either, it seems deceptive.

Maybe they're doing it because they are trying to give people an excuse to indulge themselves and the feel-good sepia-toned photo of Nimbango harvesting cacao under the hot Cameroon sun helps breach that resistance? I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2021 3:58 AM

I just ordered six of these for my closest friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2021 4:03 AM

Russell-Stover factory outlet...I-70 in Abilene, Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2021 4:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!