Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

VENICE in NOVEMBER?

I've been to Rome, Milan and various small towns in central Italy but never been to Venice. Is November a good time to visit? What are the best towns nearby for day trips?

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2021 12:17 AM

Mantua is of world important in the history of art and architecture, but it's a small town, and I'm not sure I would enjoy it alone. Are you traveling alone? IF you get lucky, it could be mild. If you are unlucky, northern Italy becomes very cold, damp and grey, and the mood changes significantly.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2021 10:55 PM

Thanks, r1. I'll be travelling with my hubby. Can we travel to Mantua by train from Venice?

I think if we can get it together in the next few days we could schedule the trip for early November, hopefully before it gets too cold and wet (though I know it's ultimately unpredictable).

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 11:01 PM

I visited Venice in January one year, it was spectacular and I particularly didn't miss the summer crowds. I don't remember anything being closed, although there were fewer gondoliers.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2021 11:27 PM

Trains I don't know. I have often travelled to Italian cities on the overnight trains from Northern countries. But once there, I rent cars. I don't know about the interior Italian rail systems.

As for Mantua - it's a just a suggestion but you can read up on its offerings and see if they entice you. As you know, Venice and this region of northern Italy is rich in early periods of the Renaissance, and sometimes this is an acquired taste and one benefits from having some expert knowledge to help appreciate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2021 11:34 PM

One can travel from Venice to Mantua on train in about 2.5 hours via Verona.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 11:39 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2021 11:44 PM

Here is a brief on Mannerism. Of course I misspoke in saying the "early Renaissance" as I mean the High Renaissance for Mantua, but Venice in general as early Renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2021 11:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2021 11:52 PM

If you want supremely elegant city design, combine the trip with Turin. Often overlooked city, no tourists, and good shopping. As you get more north in Italy, and in autumn and winter, you can enjoy cuisine that is similar on two side of the alps - that is wild game - hunt meat. You really shouldn't miss some meals of boar and such, in this season in northern Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2021 12:00 AM

How many days do you think we should devote to Venice? We're thinking of maybe a 6 day trip including travel days.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2021 12:10 AM

Sure but bring a submarine.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2021 12:14 AM

Honey you can spend a month in Venice. Thats what the grandees do. Things get interesting when you do nothing, maybe smoke weed or take acid or MDMA and really REALLY look and smell and taste and feel the place. You could spend a day or two in Murano, alone, if you are interested. You could go to the opera.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2021 12:16 AM

October is dicey but never November. Peak of Acqua Alta.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2021 12:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!