Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another NYT VILE Recipe- Olive Oil Bundt Cake With Beet Swirl

Who is going to eat a nasty cake recipe like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2021 4:41 AM

These are like Mad Libs recipes now. Stupid. Raspberries would be wonderful, but no, have to always be reaching.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2021 2:04 PM

Beets? They are fucking disgusting in any form. I'm weary of trying to press savory items into the mould of sweet foods. "But you don't really taste the chorizo in the cake because the frosting is so sweet it will lock your jaw in place."

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 2:12 PM

Ick...olive oil in cakes is great. I have an Italian sweets cookbook that features a lot of olive oil but beets?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2021 2:21 PM

I’m all for it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2021 2:22 PM

Looks like it has already been eaten.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 2:25 PM

Olive oil, cake and beet don't belong in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2021 2:44 PM

Is Kevin Sessums somehow behind this?

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2021 2:46 PM

I bookmarked that recipe yesterday! It might be disgusting but it also might be a delight! I'll let DL know!

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2021 2:47 PM

I wonder if Greg might make it for one of his fish parties in the Back Bay.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2021 2:48 PM

I love chocolate olive oil cakes. There’s a good one-pan Smitten Kitchen one.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 2:49 PM

May as well add some vile bean curd to it while you're at it for extra vomitousness!

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2021 2:52 PM

I love beets, love olive oil cakes, but that doesn’t mean they should happen in the same place.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2021 2:58 PM

Craig Claiborne, come back. We need you.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2021 3:17 PM

Olive oil cakes are great.

Beats don't sound so great, but I do like carrot cake and zuchinni bread, so will withhold judgment on that monstrosity.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 3:26 PM

A favorite of Eastern European peasants everywhere

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 3:28 PM

I remember going to a church pot luck thinking I was getting cranberry sauce and it turning out to be beets. That taste wouldn't leave my mouth for at least two weeks

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 3:28 PM

Beets always remind me of one of those foods people eat to keep from starving to death

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 3:29 PM

Barbara Kafka is probably rolling in her bundt pan.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 3:34 PM

I like beets and they are a terrific liver cleanse but in a cake? Pass.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 3:38 PM

Needs more corn nuts

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 3:40 PM

And more vodka, R20!

I'm just gonna take a lil nap on this tableshcape.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 3:55 PM

I had olive oil cake at one of the Vetri restaurants in Philadelphia (Navy Yard? pre-Urban Outfitters buyout) and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. It was yellow cake, basically, served with whipped cream and raspberries.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2021 3:59 PM

Just beet it (beet it), beet it (beet it)

No one wants to be defeated

Showin' how funky and strong is your fight

It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

Just beet it (beet it)

Just beet it (beet it)

Just beet it (beet it)

Just beat it (beet it, uh)

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2021 4:00 PM

And there goes Greg towing his old lady grocery basket down to Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2021 4:04 PM

I have a recipe for an orange/almond semolina and olive oil cake. It's a delicate sponge cake and divine.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2021 4:08 PM

Actually beets are sweet, so it's not a reach to put them in a cake.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2021 4:10 PM

I really don't know about this. I think beets belong in the savory - salad - appetizer lane and they should stay there.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 4:11 PM

The New York Times often publishes recipes that are overly-fussy and gimicky, and after all that work, they're just meh.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2021 4:14 PM

Why would anyone describe the flavor of a cake to be "earthy". It sounds like they're describing dirt.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2021 4:14 PM

@r23,"If you don't eat yer beets, you can't have any cabbage pudding. How can you have any cabbage pudding if you don't eat yer beets?"

"All in all you were all just bricks in the wall."

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2021 4:14 PM

R25 please post

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 4:24 PM

I like both beets and olive oil cake, but that sounds revolting. Couldn't they have just swapped out some raspberry or strawberry preserves for the pop of color?

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2021 4:27 PM

Thanks, but I couldn't possibly. I'm stuffed!

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2021 4:29 PM

R22- YUM, that sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 4:29 PM

Lately, commenters on the NYT food columns have been calling them out for enticing readers into an article discussing a particular recipe or menu but then blocking them from accessing the recipes themselves without paying for an additional subscription.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 4:45 PM

I just made a red velvet cake with ground beets instead of using a whole bottle of red food coloring - it came out great!!! The beets blended well with the batter and made a very moist tasty cake.

So I can recommend them in Red Velvet Cake. The flavor and texture were improved by the addition.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 4:51 PM

^ Yum! I add sand to my frosting to give it a nice gritty texture

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 4:57 PM

r36, are you married to Jerry Seinfeld?

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 5:44 PM

Beet juice is the original component in red velvet cake.

Not sure why the fact that beets are very high is sugar is surprising. Or are you all grossed out by carrot cake, zucchini cake, harvest cake, pumpkin cake, etc., as well?

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 6:04 PM

"The New York Times often publishes recipes that are overly-fussy and gimicky" in order to get people talking and arguing and buzzing and clicking and paying for access to their website.

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2021 2:05 PM

Yummy!

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2021 2:09 PM

Where did you go, R8?

What’s the verdict?

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 2:17 PM

Loving all these bitchy take-downs, but I actually don't see the problem with beets. You can also use their leaves the way you would chard (which they are).

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 2:22 PM

Lordy. It's not beets I thought you would all worry about eating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 2:51 PM

I’m not going to try it. You try it.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2021 3:37 PM

75% (at least) of NYT recipes are shit. Ask any cook who makes them.

They also misrepresent - or lie - about their recipes. This past weekend I made Bittman's Zucchini-Pear Soup. It wasn't bad at all. but it was no where as green as the picture. Which leads me to believe it was photo shopped or they used green food coloring.

It's a small thing - harmless and probably common - but it illustrates their dishonesty, and supports the fact that their recipes are often shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2021 4:33 PM

Thought I was the only one who found their recipes fussy. About 5 years ago made some breakfast potato recipe that consisted of taking it out of the oven like 6 times or something, way too many ingredients and when all was said and done the consensus from everyone who ate it was, "MEH". I felt like an idiot putting that much work into potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2021 4:38 PM

Remember when the NYTimes recipe for Guacamole included peas? I'm sure that the company had absolutely NO IDEA that the recipe would start a "firestorm" online.

Peas in Guac

Beets in Cake

Soon it'll be pooh-pooh in the Pu Pu Platter

Whatever it takes, just don't stop talking about it!

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 5:11 PM

Why not beets in a cake? They're very moist and full of sugar. They are bright in color.

Because the recipe is behind a pay wall or two, I can't see the ratios of the ingredients in the recipe. Not the method. That information would make all the difference.

If anyone can copy/paste the complete recipe, it would be helpful in making peace with this recipe. Or help us just dragging it all to shit, once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 5:23 PM

I find this recipe not to be adequately overly tedious and difficult for no good reasons, which a really outstanding recipe should always strive to do. Try harder!!

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 11:51 PM

I think if this had Spanish influence as an olive oil Bundt cake with Orange filling it would be good. I remember I had to make an orange and olive oil cake for a high school Spanish project and the combo of orange and olive oil surprisingly worked for the cake.

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2021 4:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!