Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: “No one speaks of pavilions anymore, and it saddens me.”

Well cheer up buttercup, because they are now. Though apparently in the Italian pavilion, unless you’re incredibly wealthy or powerful, you can only see the head of the Michangelo replica life sized David.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote]Described by the studio as a "three-dimensional garden"

Is there any gardener on earth who believes there is such a thing as a two-dimensional garden?

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2021 12:02 PM

Hi Roddy!

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 12:07 PM

R1 Those poor children in the attic only had a two dimensional garden and it was made of paper flowers.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2021 12:09 PM

It seems there are a few interesting pavilions, maybe only interesting in part but that's something.

I would like to, but have never been to a world's fair or international exposition on that scale. I like the optimism of a world exposition, even if, inevitably, so much of what is displayed as a taste of the future is a taste of the past. As I was born in the 1960s, they were certainly a big event then they are today when you always wonder if they still have them and then, every once in a while, you see, yes, they do, sort of. It's smart of Dubai to do this, though it's not a place I would visit very easily, and that's part of the problem in that since 1992 or so they have been specialized agenda fairs, a country like Dubai showing off how friendly and modern it is, or a fair of speciality scope and narrow ambition. I have the sense that they were once were immersive experiences and are now just pavilions -- you may as well go the Venice Biennale and enjoy Venice and a show.

There's a technology centered expo in Buenos Aires in 2023 ("Creative Industries in Digital Convergence," whatever that is), and in Osaka in 2025 where the broader theme is "Designing Future Society for Our Lives" (but isn't that always the theme?) Either of those would be interesting as I've never been to either place, whereas I haven't been to Dubai either but am happy with that.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2021 2:04 PM

Countdown on the wings/solar panel covers of Calatrava's pavilion to fail and cause mayhem. It's a Calatrava, after all.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 2:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!