Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HALLOWEEN KILLS

Just got back from seeing it at the theater.

Much better than the 2018 one.

Theater was packed for a Thursday 7pm showing so I'm guessing, like the last one, this will make a ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 600October 23, 2021 12:44 AM

I thought it was ridiculous how they sidelined Jamie Lee Curtis for so much of the movie. She’s almost irrelevant to the film.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2021 1:59 AM

Yeah but she had some nice moments with the guy playing the cop in the bed next to her.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 2:13 AM

Does Kyle Richards survive? Her acting looked solid from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2021 2:40 AM

Yes, R3

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2021 2:48 AM

I want spoilers!

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 10:47 AM

R5 So many characters die. Lonnie Elam dies, Cameron Elam (Alyson's boyfriend) dies, Marion Chambers dies, Leigh Brackett dies, Tommy Doyle dies, even Laurie's daughter, Karen, dies. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. The body count is huge. The gay couple, "Little John" and "Big John," who bought the Myers house and live there are sure to be Datalounge favorites. There is another patient from the asylum who is on the loose. The angry mob of townspeople believe he is Michael and force him to commit suicide by jumping out of a hospital window rather than whatever painful death they would have planned for him.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2021 1:20 PM

The fan favorite character of the previous film, Julian, only appears briefly in a segment talking about his "favorite babysitter" on the news.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2021 1:27 PM

Since we're posting spoilers now...

Audience went wild when Michael made the "love nurse" shoot/kill herself.

I was pretty surprised to see Michael McDonald in this but he was terrific. I thought the humor in this one flowed much better than the last film.

Audience really lost their shit when all the townspeople surrounded Michael and went to town on him. Lots of cheers.

Then they really fucking lost it when Michael got up and laid into them.

Except it got really quiet when Tommy was dying.

I usually see movies on Thursdays to avoid obnoxious crowds so I was surprised to see the theater like 85% full. In fact I initially groaned cause I hate people talking, cell phones, etc... But it wasn't like that at all. The audience actually enhanced the film.

One more bit I found really touching...when they learn Michael is alive and he goes to the hospital to protect Laurie. He says something like "you protected me when I was a kid and now I'm here to do the same for you." Very touching moment.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2021 1:42 PM

Make that Tommy goes to the hospital to protect Laurie.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2021 1:43 PM

How many times can we rehash this movie?

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 1:47 PM

I watched this recently. For a Halloween sequel, this was quite good, possibly one of the best in the series after the original. There were some genuinely scary moments and I appreciated its use of original characters/actors whilst also trying to create memorable new characters. I liked the blonde-haired black grandmother with the drone. I also LOVED Big John/Little John and the fact that of all people who bought the Halloween house it was a gay couple (lol, so true-to-life). This was really well-directed at times. I watched one clip before seeing the movie and I was impressed with how natural and effortless the scene was between Kyle Richards and the two kids on the playground. I thought it was also clever how before we met three of the survivors at the bar, all we saw of them were their white arms as they were being loud and annoying the likeable black couple we had just met. I thought the tweaks in the score were quite effectively as well.

I empathise with the "why do we need another" sentiment for sure. But, the filmmakers also touched on how humanity can't contain evil, especially through irrational thought and chaos. I also appreciate the way they wove in themes of vigilantism and politics. And the film seemed to be saying something about how first responders are taken for granted. It was harrowing to watch all of those firefighters die. And then later, we witness how an untamed crowd of crazies use a hospital as the setting to drive someone to their death. The film also touched on the impatience we may feel towards police authorities when justice isn't delivered immediately and, conversely, corruption within the system. Sure, it got heavy-handed at times, and definitely messy. For what it's worth, I think the director, writer, and producers made an effort to create something special, and they did a better job than most given the task. It appeared to me that this film was made by people who had a great deal of respect for the genre, as well as the audience. I'd have to watch Halloween II again, but I think this may be the best one after the original. It left me with more to say than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2021 2:03 PM

So glad that Kyle Richards will live to star in another Halloween movie (although she's certainly a goner in Halloween Ends).

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2021 2:22 PM

"That nasty snatcher's in my parking lot?!" = line of the movie

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2021 2:31 PM

I was very surprised that Lindsey lived but Tommy did not. I was sure it would be the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 2:32 PM

Lindsey Wallace was resourceful as hell in this movie, no wonder she lived.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 2:50 PM

This movie was like Halloween II with Laurie in the hospital mixed with Halloween 4 with the angry townspeople going after Michael Myers. And deaths left and right. The Scream series won't even touch their legacy characters but this movie had no problem disposing of them. Nobody was safe and I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 2:58 PM

And just like in Halloween 2 (1981), Jamie Lee Curtis is wearing the most terrible wig of all.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 3:00 PM

COVID is over!!

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 3:17 PM

I hate this version of Laurie Strode. Lindsey Wallace was definitely the highlight of this film for me. Great acting.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 3:17 PM

I can't wait to see where they go with Halloween Ends. They're already at the Myers house. Will it be like Halloween Resurrection and the entire thing takes place there?

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 3:22 PM

It's total garbage that doesn't have any clue what makes Michael Myers scary. David Gordon Green is a hack. At least John Carpenter's getting paid so he can smoke his joints and tour with his music

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 3:24 PM

Who was left alive?

Laurie

Hawkins

Allyson

the sheriff (black guy in a cowboy hat)

Lindsey Wallace

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote] It's total garbage that doesn't have any clue what makes Michael Myers scary. David Gordon Green is a hack. At least John Carpenter's getting paid so he can smoke his joints and tour with his music

My thoughts exactly. This sounds like glorified fan fiction. BAD fan fiction. The legacy of the original has been thoroughly shat upon by idiots who truly don’t get what made that film great.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2021 4:13 PM

Just like 2018, it's a movie that could have been improved by cutting out all the comedic filler and meandering subplots. The gay couple's antics were way worse than the sassy black kid in 2018 in that it went on for way much longer. And it was so bizarre that Michael had them cradling each other post mortem. How sweet. The escaped mental patient being chased by the mob would have been a good idea if the audience themselves got to wonder if Michael would try to sneak into the hospital. And Lonnie going in alone to the Myers house was pretty stupid as are a lot of character decisions in the movie.

I did like the flashback intro, a lot of Michael's scenes were tense, and the unmasking scene was great. I wondered at the end if they were trying to establish a link between Meyers and the Strode family. That would have fixed one of my main issues from the 2018 film.

Saw this in a nearly packed theater. Audience was completely silent during the post credits. Looks like another divisive entry.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2021 5:14 PM

Thought Big John was played by Rufus Wainwright.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2021 5:17 PM

I still want to see Danielle Harris and Jamie Lee Curtis both in the same Halloween movie, particularly the same scene. I could picture her playing that nurse that takes care of Laurie and Hawkins. But I hope and pray that it happens in Halloween Ends.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote]And Lonnie going in alone to the Myers house was pretty stupid as are a lot of character decisions in the movie.

Lonnie had made it a point to say he had always chickened out of going into the house when Tommy and Lindsay would dare him. So this was his chance. Plus he didn't want to put his son in danger.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 5:51 PM

Was this Michael's first mercy kill? He really fucked Cameron (the boyfriend) up and he was gonna slowly bleed to death. Then Michael snapped his neck.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2021 6:03 PM

R28 I felt so bad for that black woman who he left to bleed to death as she watched her husband have every knife in the kitchen plunged into his back. If only he'd have killed her to put her out of her misery.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2021 6:17 PM

Sorry, but this was not very good at all and doesn’t feel like a “Halloween” movie whatsoever. Michael Myers stalked his prey, teenage girls, but killed anyone else who was around. He always moved slowly, never ran out of rooms full speed slamming you into walls like Jason. Never made you kill yourself. None of that.

That 1978 flashback just to add a new character was stupid, not to mention Michael was 100% out of character. Like I said, I cringed when he ran out of the room full speed and slammed the cop into the wall. And then he walks down the stairs and leaves the other cop? Please.

Most of these comments are coming from 1 person and it is obvious why the film is getting praised on this thread, it’s the same person using more than one account to push an agenda. The 2018 film had terrible twists and some of the acting outside of JLC was terrible, but it still captured the essence of the original better than this.

This felt more like a fast paced SAW movie with Michael Myers attached. No lie.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2021 6:49 PM

Only morons like any of the sequels to the original 1978 classic.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 6:52 PM

Will Kyla Richards finally receive a well deserved Oscan nomination for her performance?

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2021 6:52 PM

And I don’t know why anyone thought they would keep Tommy alive? Maybe if they brought back the original actor they would have, but getting a new actor to play him? There is no attachment there. No nostalgia. The reason Kyle Richards is getting so much attention and press is because she originated the character in 1978, plus she is a Housewife. People like seeing original actors in the roles most times.

Why is Anthony Michael Hall getting hardly no press? He didn’t originate the role in 1978. If he did there would be featured all about it online like there are for KR.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2021 6:57 PM

I feel bad for the guy that played Tommy as a kid in the original. I read he really wanted the role and they told him to fuck off. And Hall is terrible, they should've just let the dude have it

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 7:07 PM

R34 Paul Rudd would've fit in since the movie already feels like a comedy. I guess they didn't give it to the original actor because Anthony Michael Hall had a leading role and needed someone with more experience. That said, Kyle Richards was in it more than I expected her to be and did fine.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 7:33 PM

r35

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 7:49 PM

The other guy has worked since Halloween. His last acting job was in 2015 though.

I think they could have given it to him. He could have easily lost weight for it etc.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 8:08 PM

Funniest part was the kids on swings telling Lindsay about Michael.

"He keeps popping out from behind trees trying to play peekaboo with us like we're 3 years old."

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 8:26 PM

Neither Tommy nor Karen got proper death scenes. That was ridiculous.

Killing off Tommy in the midst of all the locals getting butchered was lazy. They could have at least shown it better and not in that video game looking format they used for that scene.

And then Karen’s death looked like the Psycho death scene. Wtf was that? You see her screaming face up close and see Michael stabbing but never see it actually stab her. No body shot. Just her face screaming and her using her hands to block as the knife just waves around.

So strange.

The film felt like it was directed by 3 different people.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 9:16 PM

Just finished watching. Some very unorganized thoughts. 57 yr-old here who saw the original in theaters maybe a dozen times in 78-79! I thought quite simply this movie was poor. I would give it 1.5 stars out of 4.

It was a fucking mess. The script, the editing and the directing. I didn't expect a lot from this movie, but I didn't expect amateur hour.

I know it's hard to disguise exposition, but having a character get up at a karaoke bar and do a spoken-word summarization of the plot so far and history of the characters was embarrassing!

And the constant cross-cutting between locations was unnecessary and made the movie even more incoherent.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2021 10:22 PM

I was getting excited until it does seem like one poster was making this movie sound better. The reviews haven’t been awful, though. Not even close. I know I will enjoy it but I want them to really get it RIGHT.

Was it clear MM knew who Tommy or Marion or Lindsey are? I was hoping Marion would live being a direct link to Loomis.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2021 10:49 PM

[quote]Most of these comments are coming from 1 person and it is obvious why the film is getting praised on this thread, it’s the same person using more than one account to push an agenda.

*snort* It's not that deep, ma'am. You Qanon freaks are... something else. Everything is a huge conspiracy, huh?

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2021 10:50 PM

It was better than the last one, but that's not really a major accomplishment. It's still not scary in the least and God only knows where Halloween Ends will go after that ending they gave us. Felt like it came out of nowhere. Didn't someone say it's taking place a year or so after the events of this movie?

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2021 11:25 PM

R43 I would think it would have to. Laurie is in no shape to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2021 11:27 PM

Did MM know who the nurse, Tommy and Lindsay are?

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2021 11:31 PM

They changed the original ending just like the last film. Notice those shots of Jamie Lee walking out of the hospital with the knife in her hand in the trailers. It was supposed to end with Karen calling her from the Myers house, getting killed, and Laurie hears the whole thing. Michael picks up the phone and does his heavy breathing thing and Laurie tells him she's coming for him, grabs the knife, walks out, and the film ends.

Not sure why they changed it unless they rethought their original idea for Halloween Ends.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2021 11:33 PM

R45, it doesn't seem like Michael remembers anyone. He still doesn't seem to give two shits about Laurie.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2021 11:35 PM

Have either of the two movies discussed what happened to Dr. Loomis?

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote] I wondered at the end if they were trying to establish a link between Meyers and the Strode family.

They did that in the original series, and John Carpenter called it a huge mistake.

I thought the whole point of the last movie was to clearly state that it was just a random incident from forty years ago that happens again. What's the point if they're just going to do what they did the last time around?

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2021 11:51 PM

Ok I just watched it, and it was more fun and entertaining than the last one, which I didn’t get the love for, but it was still a messy movie that felt like too many hands were trying to run the show.

I agree that the film felt like it was directed by more than one person. There was no clear vision here. Also, as mentioned above, Tommy and Karen’s death scenes were not well done.

They also made MM overly aggressive. Even for him. It was a bit much. He almost looked like a Boxer at times.

Why add a 1978 scene to add a character, to make him the father of the boy dating Laurie’s granddaughter, only to kill him off screen? And why did they make his sons death so brutal? That was incredibly violent.

Tommy should have gotten the big death scene they gave to the boyfriend.

Karen’s death scene looked terrible. The editing for that was a mess.

The film has a 41% on RT right now r41. While not terrible, it’s not good either. It dropped even more from earlier, where it was at 46%

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2021 12:01 AM

Yeah what is r41 seeing? The critics aren’t liking this one all that much at all.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2021 12:06 AM

“Green’s Halloween Kills is grim to the point of nihilistic; it’s ugly, sadistic, mean. There’s not a thing that’s conventionally enjoyable about it, and its most horrifying scene’s closest analogue is Fritz Lang’s angry mob melodrama Fury. It doesn’t have the spark of hope of Green’s first film, that faintest suggestion that a woman’s trauma might be overcome by being believed and through the support of loved ones. In its place is a firm statement that there is no good in the world that is not an illusion; no hope for deliverance from the hell of ourselves and others; and the past is not only inescapable, but both a life (and death) sentence.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2021 12:12 AM

Based on the above comments, it seems like this is like the later seasons of The Walking Dead, just a bunch of random death scenes of various characters. I think I'll pass on paying to see this. I can wait a few years when it comes up for free on a streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2021 12:14 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2021 12:17 AM

“Halloween Kills puts a knife in the promising reboot of Michael Myers”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2021 12:18 AM

It was strongly suggested in the H2018 that MM became obsessed with Laurie when she got away. He stewed on it for 40 years. They also seemed to hint at some connection with the Strodes.

If MM didn’t show recognition of the nurse then that is just fucking sloppy. That pisses me off. I do want it crystal clear in H2022 that he knows the old lady is the babysitter he tried to kill. He HAD to have recognized the nurse. As for Tommy and Lindsay, they should have said something to him about being the kids in that babysitters house.

I think we are to assume he knows but I want it clear he knows. In F13, it was clear Jason went after Alice because she killed his mother.

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2021 12:19 AM

MM doesn’t speak, so if he recognized them he won’t say it.

However, I get the impression he recognized them all. When he attacks Marion he does it in the same way he did in the original, and it’s obvious he’s doing it on purpose. He looks Lindsey in the eyes when he’s about to kill her but he shoves her to the ground when she almost gets his mask off.

He looks at Tommy right in the eyes as he kills him. He also stares the granddaughter in her eyes as he attacks her.

Little things like that made me believe he recognized them.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2021 12:23 AM

Also r57, the Director made sure we saw Tommy and Michael looking at each other right in the eyes as he killed him.

Also, the way he killed them was different. With the others he just kills them, but with them it seemed like he was taking his time, almost like he’s been waiting years for this moment, salivating at the mouth. It seemed like he was taunting Marion while she was in the car before he finally killed her.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2021 12:27 AM

Why did they bring Marion along to find him in the first place? I get that she was someone who survived an attack by him, and she wants him dead too, but I would think the others would be smart enough to have her stay behind, granted she may have refused to. But still. She was an older woman now and you can tell they’re close to her. People who survive his attacks seem to be a small club and have this mutual bond.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2021 12:32 AM

My friend asked me why Marion is in this one when she died in 1998 in H20. Why do people not get this is not a continuation of that story? Lmaooo. I told him more than once. It’s like his brain can’t register this as a sequel to the original.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2021 12:33 AM

“It's going back to the franchise's long-running tradition of producing subsequent Halloween movies so painfully inferior that you can feel not just your fandom but your very lifeforce being drained.”

Damn, Rolling Stone really tore it apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2021 12:35 AM

I did enjoy this one better than the last one but MM is just a shark on a feeding frenzy. It was all overkill whereas the first Halloween 1978, MM seemed focused and had more intent with his victims. He just fucking slays people now like Jason and that completely diminishes his power as the Bogeyman. He's a mass murderer and not a methodical serial killer with some sort of inner code.

I am glad that they made most of the victims likeable this go round. There wasn't enough character development in the first one so I did have emotional investment with this one. But, still. So grim. The seniors getting destroyed in their home seemed so utterly pointless and horrifically cruel but maybe that is the point.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2021 12:36 AM

“Halloween Kills isn't content to be a Halloween sequel; it wants to be a Purge movie, too. Sadly, it doesn't really deliver on either score.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2021 12:37 AM

“In absence of a coherent plot, the writers have seemingly decided to throw everything at this story in the hope that something might stick. The result is a shambolic, risible mess which is further hampered by a total absence of genuinely scary bits.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2021 12:39 AM

“Among many other things, it's possible "Halloween Kills" thinks it's a comedy.”

This is what bothers me most. The jokes etc. Halloween never was a movie with jokes and silly bits. This really lowers the quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2021 12:41 AM

“The violence in Halloween Kills is gruesome and gory in a way that's so dull and unimaginative it almost doesn't register as unpleasant.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2021 12:43 AM

It’s obviously garbage. Only simpletons care about this movie or any of the other sequels.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2021 12:43 AM

“An indolent, narratively impoverished mess that substitutes corpses for characters and slogans for dialogue.”

NYTimes also tore it to shreds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2021 12:45 AM

LA Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2021 12:50 AM

This movie was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2021 1:07 AM

This is a perfect example of what’s wrong with this movie. They made MM ridiculously over the top. Look at him dodging everything they do and killing them, like a video game.

This movie really fucked up MM. He was never a mass murderer who just killed everyone for the hell of it. This movie made him that. He now just walks into peoples homes and kills them for fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] I thought the whole point of the last movie was to clearly state that it was just a random incident from forty years ago that happens again. What's the point if they're just going to do what they did the last time around?

I don't think this movie could make up its mind either way but I felt this decision was bizarre, to say the least. John Carpenter may have thought it was a mistake but he also wanted to kill Myers for good and years later even considered a sequel with Michael Myers in space. If we are fans of the franchise, not just the original, then we should enjoy innovation. Even the thorn subplot evolved from descriptions in the original novelization. I thought having them be related in part 2, still, my favorite sequel, was a great move. Not only does it make the story much more personal, but firmly establishes the guilt she feels. Remember, this is Laurie's story, not that of Michael Myers which we've seen countless times before. I suppose you could have made it that he stalks Laurie because she's the one who got away, but you can't simply drop something without trading it in for something more substantial. The connection with Laurie lasted for several films such as the psychic connection with Jamie. The series did eventually go off the rails but that's not entirely the fault of the creators of parts 2 and 4 which successfully built on the franchise. Plus, this film, while technically a reboot, doesn't really ignore the sequels either.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2021 1:17 AM

Didn’t Carpenter write Halloween 2 only to shit on it after and claim the Director did a bad job?

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2021 1:25 AM

I liked it, didn't love it. The parts that are good are great, the low points...yeah. Seeing it again tomorrow. Not the best sequel, not the worst.

R73 Carpenter admits he wrote H2 while drunk out of his mind.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 1:28 AM

He’s also expressed disgust at the franchise overall and the people who like it, R73.

R74, why on earth are you seeing it again tomorrow? Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2021 1:29 AM

R75 because I saw it two weeks ago when JLC introduced it in Hollywood. I want to settle on my score. I'm a horror fan.

I really liked H18, minus the mad doctor.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote]I'm guessing, like the last one, this will make a ton of money.

I have Comcast with Peacock included free. The last movie wasn't streaming for free.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2021 1:31 AM

He’s always blamed the Director of 2 for it sucking. Dude, YOU WROTE IT. He stayed loyal to what you wrote because he wanted II to do justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2021 1:33 AM

R74/76 here. I hated the constant flashbacks. No one is watching Halloween 12 without a knowledge of the franchise. I didn't need to see footage from H78 and H18 every time the past was referenced.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2021 1:35 AM

R76 the mad Doctor ruined that film for me.

And his influence helped ruin this one.

It went from MM has waited 40 years to kill Laurie to MM never really was obsessed with Laurie, it was the Doctor the whole time.

That is mentioned more than once in this one.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2021 1:35 AM

R79 only many might see it without having seen the original movies, and they’re most likely today’s teens.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2021 1:36 AM

R81 the entire franchise is ready available on multiple streaming services (especially in October) and if you're seeing the 12th film in a franchise without any others, I don't care if you get lost without 50 flashbacks. You wouldn't know who Annie is, so seeing her would mean nothing to you.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2021 1:39 AM

R82 that’s exactly why they had Tommy explain everything that took place that night… for the viewer who doesn’t know.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2021 1:41 AM

R83 It was stupid

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2021 1:42 AM

Watch the Rob zombie versions, then you'll probably change your mind

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2021 1:47 AM

[quote] “Among many other things, it's possible "Halloween Kills" thinks it's a comedy.”

[quote] This is what bothers me most. The jokes etc. Halloween never was a movie with jokes and silly bits. This really lowers the quality.

Yes, none of the jokes made me laugh. All the Big John and Little John stuff, the obnoxious trick or treaters that are clever enough to pull a gross prank yet are easily spooked, the black couple with the effeminate boyfriend, Karen's naivete, Laurie getting high, etc. 2018 had a few scenes like these but they could be removed with little consequence to the plot. Here those scenes felt more integrated into the movie and it suffers for it.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2021 1:49 AM

This is a solid middle of the pack. Above the Zombies, H5 and Resurrection.

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2021 1:49 AM

I actually like H5. I don’t get the hate. It’s bloated and leaves things open in the end but it was not a bad movie. I never understood the hate for it.

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2021 1:51 AM

R88 I loved H5. I always liked it. It was dark but fun, and Tina added a lot of chaotic energy to that one.

I feel most people hate the mystery figure in it, and we never learn who it was. They also loathe Tina, and the fact she was made the heroine. Tina is a hated character but I never got it because I always loved her. She felt very real to me. I knew girls like her in the 80s. The hate for her is bizarre. The actress actually gets a kick out of how hated her character is. She sat in the back of a screening for it when it came out in the 80s and the theater, filled with mostly young people, cheered and applauded when she gets killed lmao.

I was sad.

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2021 1:56 AM

The worst Halloween is The Curse of MM. the fact no one even mentions that one anymore says all you need to know.

It’s that bad.

by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2021 1:56 AM

R90 Enough people liked it for them to officially release the bootleg cut. Also, lots of people rallied for Paul Rudd's return. I wouldn't say it's forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2021 1:59 AM

R88 After H4 was a smash success, they rushed H5 into production. The script was never completed, there was no idea who the man in black was "we'll figure it out in 6" was the official idea, and yes...Tina. I'm glad Wendy gets a kick out of it. I'd never blame her for the character (she did what she in the "script") but the script sucks. Wendy the actress is quite lovely.

The writer of H6 is the man responsible for recent crapfests such as American Boogeyman and American Boogeywoman. Enough said

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2021 2:00 AM

I don't get the hate for Rob Zombie's remake. It's a completely different style of horror than the original Halloween, but both are good for what they are. In John Carpenter's version, Michael was born the essence of evil and kills because it's just what he exists for. In Rob Zombie's version, Michael grew up in a broken home with a wreck of a family, had no friends, and was bullied. It's interesting how the first time we see Michael, he is having breakfast and it is complete chaos. Then in the first scene we see Laurie, she is having breakfast and it is a completely normal, loving family. There is such a juxtaposition between those two breakfasts and I think Rob may have been suggesting that Michael may have turned out differently had he grown up in a different environment. But perhaps he was evil and would've turned out a killer anyway.

It is different than John Carpenter's version because it isn't John Carpenter's version. They are two very different approaches but I enjoy them both and think there is room for both to exist.

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2021 2:08 AM

[quote] Watch the Rob zombie versions, then you'll probably change your mind

The Zombie Halloweens are terrible but at least they have a singular, consistent vision to them.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2021 2:08 AM

Just how old is Michael Meyers now? He's not a supernatural being like Jason or Freddy. How is he still doing all this?

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 2:11 AM

Tina was a blast in H5. The hate for her seems unjust.

I think people just aren’t used to the heroine being an over the top big personality party Queen, and used to the Laurie Strode, Rachel (H4) type being the protagonist. Tina was almost the anti-Laurie.

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2021 2:12 AM

The direction in H5 is terrible. And I hated what they did to Rachel. But other than that, it's not bad. H4 is underrated.

I don't think Donald Pleasance gets the respect he deserves for keeping the series afloat during the years that Jaime wanted nothing to do with it. I'm glad that Jaime came back to it, but the way she would only do it if the movies she wasn't in were completely disregarded wasn't fair to him.

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2021 2:12 AM

R95 the new movie sets him up as supernatural. Laurie explains that with each kill he gets stronger and more invincible

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2021 2:12 AM

Say what you want about Tina, she sacrificed herself to make sure those two kids didn’t die.

I get pissed when Jamie is crawling though. Did her legs stop working? Get up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2021 2:19 AM

I'm so glad that cunt Judy Greer's character was killed off.

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2021 2:21 AM

R97 that's not true about Jamie. An early version of the H20 script makes reference to 4-6, but they decided to do a new timeline because they felt trapped in a box. I mean, Michael is controlled by a druid cult? No thanks.

Dan Farrands is a pain in the ass with a massive ego. Take a peek at his recent work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2021 2:21 AM

Rob Zombie's 2nd Halloween is certainly unique. With the first one, I feel he was bound to the "rules" of the Halloween franchise to some extent because it was a remake. But the 2nd one, since it was a sequel to a remake, he could do anything he wanted. It's truly unlike anything else I've seen but I like it. The death scenes are brutal and there are some gorgeous visuals, but what I liked most was how he portrayed the character of Laurie. She is a broken shell of a person who struggles just to get through the day because her mind is completely shattered. I think Rob Zombie's Halloween II depicts the harsh reality of trauma in a better and more realistic way than just about any horror sequel I've seen.

Annie's death scene in the director's cut is also the saddest death of the series. Leigh Brackett's screams of pain discovering her corpse and visualizing her as a child on Christmas is a very powerful moment which you don't expect from a movie like this. I don't agree with every choice Rob Zombie made (such as giving Loomis a completely different personality than he had in the 1st movie) but I won't pretend his movie is completely worthless. I enjoy it and don't think it deserves the hatred it gets.

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2021 2:21 AM

The various sequels have their highs and lows, but they mostly all have TERRIBLE masks for Michael. H4 and H20 are especially awful

One thing the Blumhouse movies get perfect is the mask.

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2021 2:22 AM

H6 is terrible from start to finish. I rewatched it days ago. It’s BAD. And the way they did Danielle Harris dirty and just recast her? Happy it flopped at the box office and almost killed Halloween forever. They’re lucky they got JLC back to do H20 and that brought the franchise back.

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2021 2:27 AM

The Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 is definitely an improvement over the theatrical, but neither version is all that great.

by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2021 2:29 AM

R104 Moutapha Akkad kept the franchise alive, but he was more concerned with money than making decent movies. He made them rush H5 rather than make it as good as H4 and he made the call the recast Danielle.

R105 Dan Farrands acts as though he's John Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2021 2:30 AM

Because Danielle wanted more money and they were offering her like $1000 for H6. No lie. She actually already paid for some stuff to get ready for the movie and what they offered to pay wouldn’t even cover what she spent.

Because she wouldn’t budge and asked for at least like $5k or something they fired her and recast her.

Most loyal fans didn’t like that she wasn’t in 6.

by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2021 2:33 AM

“Danielle Harris wanted to reclaim her role as Jamie, but turned it down when Dimension Films refused to pay her the $5,000 she wanted. Harris stated in an interview that when her agent learned that filmmakers were looking to cast an actress who was at least 18 or older to play Jamie in this film, she was only 17 but wanted to do the movie enough that she got herself legally emancipated from her parents at the suggestion of filmmakers so that she could work longer hours without having to go to school. Harris spent time and thousands of dollars on the legal process, but ultimately turned down the film due to her own dissatisfaction with her character's story and Dimension's refusal to pay her a salary that would have recovered her legal fees. Harris also stated that she eventually met and befriended J.C. Brandy, who took over the role of Jamie in the film and was treated poorly on the set because Harris turned down the role.”

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2021 2:35 AM

Just watched it. I will post my review later but he 100% knew who Marion was because she still looks similar, he was around her for a long time, and she said this was for Dr. Loomis. So, 100% he knew who she was.

He knew Laurie’s daughter and granddaughter from the previous run in at Laurie’s.

There is no way he would know that was Lindsey or Tommy. They were kids. He really didn’t even get that close to them.

That said, my GOD, give the legacy characters a decent death. Marion’s was close because she did get to say this was for Dr. Loomis. But she deserved better. Karen’s was an homage to psycho which is cool BUT it should have been saving her daughter. Tommy’s was atrocious. He deserved a better death.

A lot to take in.. There were some brilliant BRILLIANT moments. There were sloppy SLOPPY moments. Overall, this was less than H2018. Given the legacy character reunion, they squandered that big time IMO.

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2021 2:36 AM

There's a brief homage to Halloween 3.

The movie felt over edited, as if I was watching 3 different films and none of them were compelling.

But if Kyle Richards doesn't get an Oscar nom - there's no justice in Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2021 2:38 AM

Yes, the deaths to the legacy characters were terrible.

I said Marion got a much better death scene in H20 than here.

by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2021 2:40 AM

Tommy’s death scene was TERRIBLE. Like I said upthread, his death scene should have been as big as the one they gave the granddaughters boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 112October 16, 2021 2:41 AM

But if you rewatch the death scene, MM is staring at Tommy in his eyes. They make sure to show us them staring into each other’s eyes. I do think MM knows who he is, maybe because Tommy still goes around speaking about that night.

by Anonymousreply 113October 16, 2021 2:59 AM

Marion is a direct link to Loomis. Her death should have been better. She fought back hard in H20. She wasn’t a wimp here but COME ON, this is DR LOOMIS’ fucking nurse. Give her more.

On that same note, the whole reunion should have been nurtured and the deaths saved for H2022. There was so much to do there. You have the whole fucking original cast (or characters) back for THIS? NO NO NO NO NO. WTF. That is precious.

The deaths were WAY over the top and too much. He should have killed ONE firefighter and slipped out the back.

He was wounded so many times in so many ways IDC now. If he isn’t human than no one can kill him so why bother trying? It makes his inevitable showdown with Laurie pointless. This WHOLE FUCKING TIME, for FORTY FUCKING YEARS, it has seemed to be about MM vs LS. Now, NOPE, forget it. Does he know who she even fucking is? WTF are they DOING????? Halloween has been about Laurie fucking Strode and Mikey fucking Myers inevitable clash for whatever reason- siblings, the one who got away, she annoyed TF out of him- whatever.

With all that being said, it shits on anything F13 tried to do after part 4. H2022 better the fuck be epic because they kind of fucked things up with this movie. HW doesn’t know how to do subtle. NOPE. I was literally waiting for MM to be sprayed with AR-15 bullets from all directions and avoid them like the Matrix. Hollywood thinks going BIG = BETTER and haven’t figured out IT DOES NOT!!!!!!!!!! Give us good solid fucking story, cunts.

by Anonymousreply 114October 16, 2021 2:59 AM

To be fair, in H20 Marion is 20 years older, a woman in her 50s. Now she’s a woman in her 70s. I don’t think she can fight back as hard as she once could.

by Anonymousreply 115October 16, 2021 3:04 AM

R114 I have a bad feeling that in Halloween Ends he is going to kill Laurie in a shocking, and emotional scene (à la Nancy in A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors) and then be put away again until it's time to make another Halloween film with an entirely new cast several years down the road.

by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2021 3:05 AM

I would have liked Marion to mind fuck Michael a little. She isn’t physically as strong but she could have fucked with his head. Missed opportunity. They could have kept her alive and maybe she could have said something in the final frame of H-ENDS that allows Laurie to finish him off for good. I was not happy with her death aside from how she was able to say Dr Loomis’ name to his face. I am surprised there aren’t more Marion fans wanting more for her.

by Anonymousreply 117October 16, 2021 3:07 AM

My educated guess is IF they do anything with the franchise after Halloween Ends, it'll be another reboot, but hopefully better than Zombie's. Mike is 61 now, time to hang up the knives.

by Anonymousreply 118October 16, 2021 3:08 AM

R116 Of course Laurie will die in the next film. They have already foreshadowed it. And because these fuckers have already shit on 40 years of mythology. Laurie will be killed by him which will make watching the original less pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 119October 16, 2021 3:09 AM

Kyle's chase scene was good.

by Anonymousreply 120October 16, 2021 3:11 AM

I just watched it. It was okay. But I miss slasher movies where a bunch of horny teens get sliced and diced by the bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 121October 16, 2021 3:11 AM

The ONLY part missing from Kylie’s scenes, which were good, was her screaming at him about killing her babysitter and letting him know who she was. Sorry, there is no way he knew who her or Tommy were like he did Marion.

by Anonymousreply 122October 16, 2021 3:13 AM

R117 I’m certain most fans of hers are just happy they included her in this. People just seem happy legacy characters were included, and in all cases but one, the original actor reprised their role.

Even Brackett’s original actor was brought back.

Poor Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 123October 16, 2021 3:14 AM

Just finished it. Nothing but grotesque torture porn. I'm glad I didn't pay to see this clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 124October 16, 2021 3:16 AM

R122 those two were kids when this happened. He never got near them really, although he saw them physically.

However, in real life both would probably get lots of media coverage for years down the line, and interviews in their town etc.

“Remembering those murdered by Michael Myers Twenty years ago, and we will hear the stories from two survivors from that dreadful night!” Stuff like that really happens, and he may know who they are from them speaking about him etc.

by Anonymousreply 125October 16, 2021 3:17 AM

I wanted more for Marion. I liked the homage to her scenes in the original. She had the best death of the legacy characters. I guess nothing felt satisfying which is something Hollywood has been letting us down on. If you bring back legacy characters, make it count. There is no reason they shouldn’t have survived to the next film. Missed opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 126October 16, 2021 3:17 AM

R119 You're right. Halloween Ends is a deceptive title because it likely won't be the end at all. Just the end for Laurie. The only thing that can truly kill Michael is poor box office receipts. And even then, they'll just create another timeline and ignore the sequel that didn't make enough money.

I imagine they might want to hand the torch over to Laurie's granddaughter but I'm not sure if that character is interesting enough to carry a franchise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 16, 2021 3:18 AM

R125 You aren’t wrong but that fact we have to twist ourselves into explanations is the problem. It would have been very easy to convey explicitly he knew who they were and that would have been more satisfying. Marion was the legacy character one he for sure knew who she was because she explicitly said Dr Loomis and his head twisted as he got a good look at her.

by Anonymousreply 128October 16, 2021 3:20 AM

to quote R127

[quote] "We made an arrangement for three movies. We had a three-picture marriage with Michael Myers," Blum confirmed with ComicBook.com. "I would love to extend it. If Malek [Akkad] would like us, I'd love to extend it, but we're very busy making sure the third movie is spectacular because that's our immediate job and if it goes beyond that, I'd be thrilled. But there are currently no plans for us to be involved after this third movie."

Whatever happens after Halloween Ends will be a new beast.

by Anonymousreply 129October 16, 2021 3:21 AM

R126 I'm glad they didn't do like the Scream films. So far those have been boring because you know they aren't going to touch Sidney, Gale, or Dewey otherwise the fans would throw a fit. They're always guaranteed to live because those characters and actors bring in the fans whereas in Halloween Kills nobody was off limits. Anyone could die at any moment so that made it scarier, knowing that no one was safe.

by Anonymousreply 130October 16, 2021 3:22 AM

H6 is not a good movie, but Paul Rudd's Tommy was better than this one

by Anonymousreply 131October 16, 2021 3:23 AM

JLC has also suddenly NOT ruled out more Halloween after Ends. Which is good or she is just covering for the fact she will die.

If Laurie Strode dies, after all this time, watching the original won’t be the same. She is supposed to be the ultimate most popular final girl. If SHE loses to MM, fuck it. Her granddaughter is NOT going to replace LS as the heroine. Even if they tried, if LS can’t kill him, who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 132October 16, 2021 3:24 AM

R130 I am not a fan of killing legacy characters. I love Scream because they won’t touch those two though I feel like Gale is a goner in the new one which, if that is the case, I won’t watch. Yes, I am one of those fans but we NEED legacy characters to live. They kill off a few but a core emerges and the Scream core is ride or die. Same with Laurie Strode. She dies and fuck Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 133October 16, 2021 3:26 AM

Meh. Stupid people get killed. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

by Anonymousreply 134October 16, 2021 3:34 AM

R132 And she's already died in 2 different timelines. A car accident took her life in the timeline of 4-6 and then in the H20 timeline, she died in Resurrection. It would be good to have just one timeline where she is alive in the end.

by Anonymousreply 135October 16, 2021 3:34 AM

I am 100% for them killing off any character, new or old. Tommy dying could have been a very sad moment but they fucked it up in their execution of his death.

I would have given him the big death scene Alysson’s BF got. Only he didn’t go down as fast.

by Anonymousreply 136October 16, 2021 3:35 AM

How would Strode dying change the original? She fucking died in the other TLs too Lmaooo

by Anonymousreply 137October 16, 2021 3:36 AM

Here is what I liked about the movie- the whole social commentary about mob mentality was chilling and spot on. It was a horror movie within a horror movie. It only got heavy handed at the end. It was the most effective part of the film. And it was brilliant.

They could have done so much more with the mental patient. I hate to say it but this film needed way less MM. The mental patient could have been killing people, we think it is MM, the town thinks it is MM, but MM only kills a select few on his way to his home.

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES

by Anonymousreply 138October 16, 2021 3:37 AM

Paul Rudd was a better Tommy, yes, and that was his first movie role ever.

He only got that part because original Tommy didn’t have an agent, so they had no way of getting in contact with him. They wanted the original to reprise his role but it couldn’t happen so they cast Rudd.

This time they wanted someone else intentionally.

by Anonymousreply 139October 16, 2021 3:38 AM

R138 they did that already with Resurrection

by Anonymousreply 140October 16, 2021 3:40 AM

R137 One- MM didn’t kill her in the Original to 6 timeline. Two- people HATED her dying in Resurrection which effectively killed the franchise. What a fucking boneheaded decision. It was widely unpopular. There were NO MORE Halloweens after until, gasp, they changed that to bring LAURIE back, numb nuts.

As someone said, this is as much Laurie’s story as MM’s. Her being killed by him completely changes watching the original. You WANT her to beat the BOOGEYMAN.

by Anonymousreply 141October 16, 2021 3:41 AM

They could have just continued on from H20. The Laurie in 2018 makes sense with the Laurie from H20. Plus, they could have erased the sibling connection if that was the motivation by saying Loomis was lied to or whatever. The Original-H2-H20-H2018 timeline would have made a much better timeline IMO.

by Anonymousreply 142October 16, 2021 3:46 AM

R142 And Laurie could have given a daughter up for adoption before H20 giving us Karen. They didn’t need to erase H20.

by Anonymousreply 143October 16, 2021 3:47 AM

R138 I HATED how much time the mental patient got. No thanks

by Anonymousreply 144October 16, 2021 3:48 AM

Laurie’s dying didn’t kill the franchise, that film did. It was a terrible movie. People didn’t go to see it opening weekend or anything because it was about a group staying in MM’s house. Also, people were confused by another one after he had his head chopped off in H20.

The film made $37 million WORLDWIDE. It flopped. Not because Laurie died, but because it was bad and people didn’t even bother to see it.

by Anonymousreply 145October 16, 2021 3:49 AM

R144 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 146October 16, 2021 3:50 AM

R142/143 yeah that's way too complicated. I'm fine with the different timelines

by Anonymousreply 147October 16, 2021 3:50 AM

Ummm I prefer them linking this to the original than erasing some movies and not others. That’s messy.

If anything they could have kept H2 in the timeline, but erasing H20 makes sense to me. They would have to explain why MM is back after having his HEAD CHOPPED OFF. This didn’t work in Resurrection and it won’t work now.

by Anonymousreply 148October 16, 2021 3:53 AM

R145 JLC playing LS is a major reason for the sequels being successful and the ones that aren’t, aren’t. People accepted her dying in a car accident for 4 onward. They wouldn’t accept her being killed by MM and they HATED that in Resurrection.

by Anonymousreply 149October 16, 2021 3:55 AM

R148 It’s messy either way.

by Anonymousreply 150October 16, 2021 3:56 AM

Not that messy. It’s easy to say MM survived being shot or stabbed. You can’t explain him coming back from a head chop.

by Anonymousreply 151October 16, 2021 3:57 AM

Who over 13 years of age could tolerate this pap?

DL has really plunged in IQ. Once it would have been discussing Pauline Kael.

by Anonymousreply 152October 16, 2021 3:58 AM

R151 They kinda covered that in Resurrection which even without that film could have been the reason LS went batshit for H2018.

by Anonymousreply 153October 16, 2021 3:59 AM

The head chop was the worst thing H20 did, and it did a lot wrong.

by Anonymousreply 154October 16, 2021 4:02 AM

R153 It was an absurd twist then and still is now. "Michael swapped clothes with the paramedic and crushed his larynx so he couldn't speak, leading Laurie to believe it really was Michael and killed the wrong person." Okay, so why didn't this paramedic try to take the mask off? His arms weren't broken, were they? He could've at least tried to wave his arms and shake his head or something so that Laurie would suspect something was off. Why would he just reach his hand out toward Laurie?

It made no sense and was just a dumb idea altogether. Resurrection shouldn't have been made. H20 should've been the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 155October 16, 2021 4:07 AM

R155 The paramedic didn’t realize he had a mask on until the very end if you remember. Also, if you are looking for sense in a movie where a man gets shot a millions times, keeps moving yet gets stabbed in the eye by a little coat hanger and collapses for 10 minutes, well……..

by Anonymousreply 156October 16, 2021 4:12 AM

R155 100%

If you’re gonna do an ending like H20’s you need to leave it there.

Which is why 2018 being a sequel to that one couldn’t work either. Let’s be honest.

by Anonymousreply 157October 16, 2021 4:13 AM

Michael didn’t get shot until the end of the original.

by Anonymousreply 158October 16, 2021 4:13 AM

Was the bully who runs into MM here supposed to be the new survivor they added to the new movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 16, 2021 4:14 AM

R155 Akkad was never going to kill MM off as long as there was a buck to be made. Agree with you. All logic and genuine style and scares has gone out of this franchise a long time ago. And who’s going to believe any closure to the next one next year even if Laurie kills him. Even if she amputates his head, arms and legs someone else will just resurrect him again.

by Anonymousreply 160October 16, 2021 4:16 AM

R158 You didn’t see this one, then. Spoiler alert: He still walks around AFTER being shot a million times.

by Anonymousreply 161October 16, 2021 4:16 AM

Fell apart in second half...was all just sequel set up. Shockingly, the Kyle scenes were among the best.

by Anonymousreply 162October 16, 2021 4:17 AM

Almost no one thinks it’s better than the 2018 movie, which was best one since H2. This one started off fairly good, but thereafter careened off the rails with horrific dialogue, brutal yet unscary kills, and a mess of a frenetic, chaotic hospital set piece that undermined the soul and scariness of the franchise. The Ending was a meaningless mess.

by Anonymousreply 163October 16, 2021 4:17 AM

Much like H5 being rushed and Danielle Harris being recast, the paramedic twist was a requirement of Moustapha Akkad, who wanted to keep making money. The paramedic footage was shot the day after H20 wrapped.

R160 his son is in charge now, the father died in 2005. He may be more reasonable.

R159 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 164October 16, 2021 4:18 AM

I’ve watched the original a million times. He doesn’t get shot until the end.

by Anonymousreply 165October 16, 2021 4:18 AM

Oh, and somehow they attempted to inject camp into this horrible chaotic movie. It was not Clever nor funny, just enhanced the ugly nihilism

by Anonymousreply 166October 16, 2021 4:19 AM

R165 Oh we’re being obtuse are we? Well, as I said, did you watch THIS one, where they FLASHBACK, and MM is walking around AFTER being shot a million times but then again you know this, dear.

by Anonymousreply 167October 16, 2021 4:20 AM

R166 something numerous critics pointed out.

Camp and humor don’t work with Michael Myers like they do some other iconic villains, but they still try making it work, which only makes other issues stand out even more.

by Anonymousreply 168October 16, 2021 4:21 AM

[quote] And because these fuckers have already shit on 40 years of mythology. Laurie will be killed by him which will make watching the original less pleasant.

You could just ignore everything that happens in all these sequels and pretend they don’t exist—because they never should have existed in the first place. They’re not exactly very important continuations of the original story. We’re not talking about The Sopranos here.

I can’t stand when people talk about them like they’re installments of one long story. They invariably refer to the original as “part 1”. It isn’t part 1 of anything. The same people invariably think the newly commissioned artwork for the Scream Factory UHDs looks beautiful, when really it’s just bad fan art that cartoonifies Michael Myers.

R152, you mailed it.

by Anonymousreply 169October 16, 2021 4:21 AM

The deaths were too much.

by Anonymousreply 170October 16, 2021 4:21 AM

R167 did you watch this one? Because this one very clearly states he is supernatural/superhuman.

by Anonymousreply 171October 16, 2021 4:22 AM

[quote] [R152], you mailed it.

*nailed it, rather

by Anonymousreply 172October 16, 2021 4:23 AM

R171 Which is so fucking stupid and the reason it went off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 173October 16, 2021 4:23 AM

Part II very much was a continuation of the original.

Everything after wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 174October 16, 2021 4:23 AM

To be fair, changing him from a mortal who stalks teenage girls to a superhuman makes sense since he can’t die.

by Anonymousreply 175October 16, 2021 4:24 AM

R156 Well, all I'm saying is that I think Michael Myers could survive flying through a windshield and having a van drive into him until it pins him between it and a tree. I don't think a random paramedic could.

by Anonymousreply 176October 16, 2021 4:24 AM

R171 Sooooo why couldn’t he survive his head being chopped off if he is supernatural? You aren’t making your case.

by Anonymousreply 177October 16, 2021 4:24 AM

Halloween II was garbage that never needed to exist.

Season of the Witch is the only one that’s at all interesting as its own film.

I can’t believe actual grown *adults* are discussing the plots of these idiotic sequels like they’re something to be taken seriously. These are cash grabs aimed at retards who don’t know any better.

by Anonymousreply 178October 16, 2021 4:26 AM

R177 why are you trying to pull different timelines together? They have different backstories, etc etc

by Anonymousreply 179October 16, 2021 4:26 AM

R177 because chopping your head off is your head being separated from the rest of your body….

by Anonymousreply 180October 16, 2021 4:27 AM

R176 The paramedic didn’t survive due to the head chopping off thingy. But whatevs

by Anonymousreply 181October 16, 2021 4:27 AM

R180 If you’re supernatural that is not a problem. You went off the rails trying to make your case.

by Anonymousreply 182October 16, 2021 4:28 AM

R178 exactly.

PS They retconned everything because nothing from the 2-Resurrection made sense. It was a bunch of different backstories and timelines.

They started from scratch

by Anonymousreply 183October 16, 2021 4:28 AM

R182 ummmmm not true at all.

by Anonymousreply 184October 16, 2021 4:29 AM

So being shot and stabbed over and over is within the realm of supernatural, but not being beheaded. Ooooookay.

by Anonymousreply 185October 16, 2021 4:29 AM

R181 In my mind it was Michael Myers that died. The paramedic twist is silly for a number of reasons and only exists to justify making Halloween: Resurrection since H20 made a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 186October 16, 2021 4:29 AM

And then Resurrection underperformed

by Anonymousreply 187October 16, 2021 4:30 AM

The Original-H20 timeline made sense. Even adding in H2 makes sense. 3-6 make no sense and are stupid except as added fun to a movie franchise. Otherwise, Original-H2O makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 188October 16, 2021 4:31 AM

To be fair, H20 made $55 million total. Resurrection made $37 million total.

Not that big a difference.

by Anonymousreply 189October 16, 2021 4:32 AM

We all want Resurrection to go away from every timeline.

by Anonymousreply 190October 16, 2021 4:32 AM

People initially went to see Resurrection because they thought. JLC was a major part. It quickly died after opening weekend when word spread she was killed off in the worst way possible.

by Anonymousreply 191October 16, 2021 4:34 AM

H20 makes no sense without 2.

by Anonymousreply 192October 16, 2021 4:34 AM

I love the timeline with H2 and H20.

by Anonymousreply 193October 16, 2021 4:36 AM

R192 agreed.

by Anonymousreply 194October 16, 2021 4:36 AM

Queen Tina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 16, 2021 4:36 AM

R194 agreeing with yourself lmfao

by Anonymousreply 196October 16, 2021 4:36 AM

I didn’t write that at r192 r196

by Anonymousreply 197October 16, 2021 4:38 AM

Judy Greer was much better in this one than in 2018. She was really bad in 2018, actually.

by Anonymousreply 198October 16, 2021 4:39 AM

I like the Choose Your Own Adventure aspect of the franchise. Sometimes I'm in the mood for different timelines, but never RZ2.

by Anonymousreply 199October 16, 2021 4:44 AM

I'm morbidly curious what terrible direction Moustapha Akkad would've dragged the franchise to post-Resurrection if he hadn't died in 2005.

by Anonymousreply 200October 16, 2021 4:45 AM

R198 Yes, she was. Every time I watch it, I cringe at that scene where she is telling Alyson all about how traumatized she is because of her rough childhood in the most monotone voice possible. Not only was her performance better but I also liked her character this time around. In the 2018 movie she was such a bitch and treated Laurie like shit without any compassion or understanding. I wanted a scene where she said "I'm sorry, you were right all along" to Laurie but I don't recall one. Even though she found out the hard way that Laurie was indeed right all along.

by Anonymousreply 201October 16, 2021 4:46 AM

I enjoyed the Billy Crudup-looking cops in the flashbacks. They looked rather similar to me.

by Anonymousreply 202October 16, 2021 4:47 AM

I know cell phones are a huge problem for horror movies, but if you set a movie in 2018, you better explain why cell phone use is not attempted or effective when things go sideways. If people think MM Is outside a bar, you best believe they are callin cops on their cell phones immediately.

by Anonymousreply 203October 16, 2021 4:52 AM

I actually liked this one way more than 18 which I found to be an overrated rip off of the far better H20. I didn’t need so much about Hawkes, who was a character that has only been a member of the mythology for three years now and has been given far too large of a role in the narrative. Also, why is MM killing so many adults? It’s more fun when it’s sexy teens instead of middle aged couples. I know, I know, MM’s a random slasher now. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 204October 16, 2021 5:45 AM

The Tommy part should have been switched up with the new survivor role.

by Anonymousreply 205October 16, 2021 11:31 AM

H20 wasn’t a good movie. I laugh when you all speak of it like it was

by Anonymousreply 206October 16, 2021 11:36 AM

Was that the one with LL Cool J?

by Anonymousreply 207October 16, 2021 11:41 AM

It had a couple of friends over last night to watch. We wound up laughing at how bad and stupid it was. And then it was just suddenly over. The ending seemed thrown together and made no sense…suddenly he’s in the house despite there being tons of people standing around outside? And no one at the house heard the slaughtering the supposedly dead MM was doing one street over? And JLC is in the hospital the whole time and doesn’t even see MM?

You know you’re in trouble when KYLE RICHARDS is the best part of your movie.

by Anonymousreply 208October 16, 2021 11:43 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 209October 16, 2021 11:44 AM

R204 You have a point. I did need to see him stalk and kill more teens. It was just a rampage which makes sense in a way since he has 40 years of pent up rage but the kills should have been more thought out.

I like the flashback to 1978.

R206 I really enjoy H20 except parts in the middle. It has a great beginning and ending and a much better story for Laurie.

I’m not confident any longer we will get a satisfactory ending.

by Anonymousreply 210October 16, 2021 11:45 AM

The complaint of JLC being in the hospital is stupid to me. There’s a lot of things to complain about but that’s not one. It made sense. JLC doesn’t need to go face to face with him in every damn movie for the same damn outcome.

by Anonymousreply 211October 16, 2021 11:46 AM

R211 I agree with that but she was wasted in this movie. It does make sense to save her next showdown with MM for THE showdown.

by Anonymousreply 212October 16, 2021 11:54 AM

Holy fuck. I loved- loved- this film. No shame. It is so brutal and violent that (after seeing it) I am now not surprised that every mainstream critic is trashing it.

Absolute thrill ride.

Perfect? No- the storyline is a little choppy and the humor is back - but it works better this time-

And for me, this film gives a much greater weight to the 1978 and even 1981 versions- with those original characters... You will now look at them a little differently... It really took the entire franchise to another level- Not a lower level, like critics are saying.

R109- You sum it up very nicely-

If you want to see a great slasher, this will be one of the best.

It's not a Merchant Ivory film and Kate Winslet does not make a cameo as a long lost Strode.

by Anonymousreply 213October 16, 2021 11:58 AM

The H movies are so inconsistent. MM seems to have superhuman strength at times then seems very mortal in others. He can take out 11 trained firefighters like a Ninja yet struggles hand to hand with ALLYSON? Gets shot 99 times, stabbed 27 times, pitchforked, yet keeps going. Laurie stabs him in the eye with a COAT HANGER and he’s passed out on his back.

This movie also wiped away the build up for Laurie and him meeting by taking away, at least the movie made us think, he doesn’t give a fuck about her. He just wants to kill. I completely don’t care now to see their showdown.

by Anonymousreply 214October 16, 2021 11:59 AM

[quote]I thought it was ridiculous how they sidelined Jamie Lee Curtis for so much of the movie. She’s almost irrelevant to the film.

Hey, the check cleared!

by Anonymousreply 215October 16, 2021 12:03 PM

I think part of why she agreed to it was because she was in it so little. This isn’t the first time a horror movies lead is in the movie less than the supporting characters.

See Scream 3 and The Grudge for perfect examples of the movies stars barely being in the movie. It’s a tool that I like but people like to bitch about.

Who the fuck wants to see them go head to head in this? She’s fucking majorly injured. How is she going to be able to fight back? We saw her go down easily when she hit the cop in the hallway. That’s not a fight. That’s an easy win for MM.

by Anonymousreply 216October 16, 2021 12:08 PM

R216 I think they could have used her more effectively. She didn’t have to go to battle with MM again, that is best saved for the next one. I think they did well with her role in this one it just needed to be a bit……….more. IDK how to articulate it.

I think had they used the legacy characters better it would have been a much better, satisfying film. An ending where Laurie knows Karen was killed and tells MM on the phone she’s coming for him would have been a great ending. Why change that?

by Anonymousreply 217October 16, 2021 12:12 PM

I saw the original when I was in high school when it opened in our town in 1979….have seen all the JLC sequels….I thought HK was all over the place but when it ended, it made me ready for HE…the middle film in a trilogy is often a let down as there is always some sort of cliffhanger but I thought the ending worked well…the killings were very brutal and I was also surprised how good Kyle Richards was in her time on the screen….MM movement in many scenes felt like the original film…they do break the formula by killing off the likable characters….probably a B-/C+ overall

by Anonymousreply 218October 16, 2021 12:12 PM

After H2018, this should have been much better. If you bring in legacy characters you better not fuck it up. They did.

by Anonymousreply 219October 16, 2021 12:15 PM

Ummmm MM was out of character many times.

And he was never ever just a killing machine.

But then again this one is set with him having pent up aggression for 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 220October 16, 2021 12:21 PM

It’s a fun and entertaining movie that is very clearly made to appeal to today’s youth who have no attention spans and need everything simple and explained for them to understand. You can tell by the pacing and editing and the over the top gore and kills that this was for today’s youth, not the fans who’ve watched this franchise for many years. The over the top kills were a bit much. I hated when he killed that old couple and he almost made an art piece out of that man, putting knife after knife in him, taking his time. MM killed those who stalked and whoever was gonna get in the way of that. He didn’t kill just to kill.

by Anonymousreply 221October 16, 2021 12:40 PM

Was anyone really expecting Jamie Lee to be front and center? It was obvious her character would be recuperating in the hospital and we all know how much screen time we got the last time her character did that.. And as much as Jamie Lee seems to be on board with the new films, you just know her contract stated no more than like 8 days of filming for both sequels.

by Anonymousreply 222October 16, 2021 12:49 PM

R222 that’s what I said, she most likely only agreed to do the sequels if she made a percentage on top of limited work days. It’s not unheard of and they’re going to do that for the star of the franchise, and a star like JLC who originated the character that made her a star.

She wanted the 2018 to be the final movie but after it made a shit ton of money, more than any Halloween ever did, they wanted sequels. Her contract probably says she will do it if she has little work days.

by Anonymousreply 223October 16, 2021 12:58 PM

R222 thanks! My first thoughts when seeing people complain how little screen time she had was “did these people never watch H2? She had less to do in that one than this!”

by Anonymousreply 224October 16, 2021 12:59 PM

R223 they also filmed both sequels at the same time so she could film her scenes for both within a few days and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 225October 16, 2021 1:00 PM

Knowing intimately how demonic and superhuman MM is, it’s irrational that MM would organize a motley crew of untrained, aging civilians to go on the streets to hunt MM. he sent them on a foolish suicide mission. It was even a suicide mission for police

by Anonymousreply 226October 16, 2021 1:01 PM

I liked the 13-minute opening sidebar flashback to 1978. It felt authentically part of the original night. However, the rest of the movie squandered the strong opening

by Anonymousreply 227October 16, 2021 1:03 PM

R226 I don’t think anyone knows how superhuman he is. Laurie and that cop seem to be the only ones who “get it”.

by Anonymousreply 228October 16, 2021 1:04 PM

R225, where did you get that idea? Halloween Ends hasn't started filming yet. It's slated to begin in January.

by Anonymousreply 229October 16, 2021 1:04 PM

R227 I found it a stupid way to add a new character

by Anonymousreply 230October 16, 2021 1:04 PM

Wait I heard JLC filmed scenes for Ends already.

by Anonymousreply 231October 16, 2021 1:06 PM

And where did you hear that, dear?

by Anonymousreply 232October 16, 2021 1:09 PM

“On July 19, 2019, a spokesperson for Blumhouse Productions confirmed that Halloween Kills and its sequel Halloween Ends will commence production and filming in Wilmington, North Carolina at the same time. The movie commenced filming September 16, 2019.”

“In an interview, Andi Matichak revealed that filming was planned back-to-back with Halloween Ends but did not occur due to the "intense schedule".”

by Anonymousreply 233October 16, 2021 1:12 PM

Ok, so it was supposed to film back to back but they decided not to.

by Anonymousreply 234October 16, 2021 1:12 PM

r189, H20 made $55M domestically, but another $20M internationally for a global total of $75M, so double Resurrection's 37. For some reason Box Office Mojo omits the international number, just giving the domestic total and saying that's the global as well. Back in 1999 Variety posted the grosses for all the '98 films, and it includes H20's total. It's #48.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235October 16, 2021 1:25 PM

I don’t know why people are complaining JLC spent the whole time in a hospital bed. She had surgery, and the movie takes place over the course of a few hours. Had she been jumping around and going after Michael, people would have complained how impossible that is.

by Anonymousreply 236October 16, 2021 1:41 PM

r236 you do realize that writers wrote the movie and that they chose the movie to take place when it did, and they could have made different choices so they'd actually be able to use the characters we give a shit about right? This isn't real life. The movie didn't have to be what ended up on screen -- we could have had a movie starring the only character we give a shit about, Laurie Strode. But they made the wrong choices and churned out a dumb movie starring nobody we give a shit about.

by Anonymousreply 237October 16, 2021 1:52 PM

Ooookkkaaayyyyy, R237….

by Anonymousreply 238October 16, 2021 1:56 PM

Michael kills way too many people in these two new movies. I think I can count all of his victims from 1978 on one hand, but Michael kills almost everyone he comes into contact with in 2018. He was a hunter in the first film, calmly and quietly stalking his prey, for reasons known only to him. In these new films he's a tornado of violence on a record-breaking killing-spree.

The new movies try to maintain a level of realism in the characters and settings, and I really enjoy and appreciate that. BUT then the same movies ask us to accept that a senior citizen in a mask can be even stronger, more durable, and way more violent than he was 40 years ago. It's just seems like a stretch to me.

It was also a big stretch that Laurie became a gun-toting survivalist hermit after the events of 1978. However, I wouldn't blame the granddaughter if she turned out the same way after the events of 2018.

by Anonymousreply 239October 16, 2021 2:12 PM

Laurie would have become obsessed with MM. That rang true to me. She knew he would come back for her. And he did. Some people don’t ever get over that trauma.

R237 and what would you have liked them to do so you are happy?

by Anonymousreply 240October 16, 2021 2:20 PM

Michael kills the firefighters, disappears, bam "One Year Later, Halloween" title card, problem solved. We can now have Laurie Strode in our Halloween movie. I have no doubt that the townspeople would be whipped up into a frenzy just as "convincingly" that way, when Michael reappears - and he's "supernatural" now so just vanishing makes sense - and Laurie could now be involved. Wow that was hard, give me the big Hollywood bucks.

by Anonymousreply 241October 16, 2021 2:27 PM

MM vanishing makes no sense to the story. He came back after 40 years and killed again. They’re gonna try and find him. They aren’t gonna sit calm for a year and see what happens

by Anonymousreply 242October 16, 2021 2:31 PM

Getta load of Kevin Williamson @ R241. Now let hear your idea for Halloween Ends.

by Anonymousreply 243October 16, 2021 2:36 PM

My sister was happy Tommy died by the end because she felt he was an idiot for rallying up the whole town to be slaughtered. She also felt bad for Marion but felt her death was brought upon herself by that point when she decided to keep shooting the windows down instead of hop over to the next seat and drive.

by Anonymousreply 244October 16, 2021 2:55 PM

I really enjoyed the playground sequence.

by Anonymousreply 245October 16, 2021 2:56 PM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 246October 16, 2021 3:00 PM

The great thing about the Halloween franchise is that nothing is ever set in stone. They'll always find ways to remake and reboot them. No matter what happens in Ends, there's no one saying Jamie Lee won't be back 20 years from then unless she dies. She's learned to never say never. She already killed of Laurie once before and still came back. If this trilogy ends and everyone hates it, they'll just wait a little while, do another reboot or remake and start fresh.

It's just a fucking movie series. And not a very good one if we've being honest here. At least something like Season of the Witch tried to do something different. The others have just been remaking the same film for 40 years, trying to capture the lightning in a bottle of the original.

by Anonymousreply 247October 16, 2021 3:24 PM

Why did he come back for her?

by Anonymousreply 248October 16, 2021 3:28 PM

R247 then don’t watch. You’re a grown man. It’s that simple.

by Anonymousreply 249October 16, 2021 3:30 PM

Michael Myers is kind of a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 250October 16, 2021 3:31 PM

Stop saying you didn't pay to see this movie if you saw it streaming. You did, in fact, pay for it but not the $15.00 (or more) you would have paid at the theater.

by Anonymousreply 251October 16, 2021 4:02 PM

R247 Halloween fans don't want "different." The ones that try something different are the most hated. Just look at the ones they complain about the most. Season of the Witch, The Curse of Michael Myers, and both of Rob Zombie's Halloweens are all hated for trying to experiment too much. The most popular sequels are Halloween II, Halloween 4, Halloween H20, and Halloween (2018) because they stay true to the Halloween formula and that's what the fans want.

by Anonymousreply 252October 16, 2021 4:03 PM

I don’t buy that the veterans don’t know he’s supernatural. In the first movie, DR Loomis intimated that he understood MM to be something beyond a mere human when MM got up and disappeared after being shot at close range. In this Movie, we learn that Loomis tried to kill MM after he was recaptured, presumptively be understood MM was a supernatural threat. There is no way with all of MM’s escapes and body count that people by now haven’t considered he is supernatural. Tommie’s bar tale about MM certainly portrayed him as such.

by Anonymousreply 253October 16, 2021 4:32 PM

r253

by Anonymousreply 254October 16, 2021 4:33 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis will be 82 in 20 years. There's not gonna be a Halloween H60.

by Anonymousreply 255October 16, 2021 4:36 PM

JLC gives the best interviews. I wish I could've done tequila shots with her at Barney's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256October 16, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote] Jamie Lee Curtis will be 82 in 20 years. There's not gonna be a Halloween H60.

"Metamucil is thicker than water" sounds like a good poster tagline to me!

by Anonymousreply 257October 16, 2021 5:05 PM

The first Halloween worked so well because of it's atmosphere and the lack of gore. It was a suspense movie at its heart that had a slasher/stalker killer. You felt it more than you saw it. Carpenter's brilliance in pacing so that you got to really know these characters before the murders start. And Jamie and Donald's performances which anchor it. JLC doesn't get the respect she really deserves as an actress, but you don't go from doing Halloween to doing Trading Places and Fish Called Wanda to My Girl without having talent. People forget she held her own alongside Bette Davis in a TV movie as well.

Her performance in Halloween is sublime, but it's been imitated hundreds if not thousands of times by many actresses, that you forget just how good it is until you sit and watch it again. The sensible, straight woman who feels unsettled but keeps trying to brush it off. Then the reveal, and how she counterbalances terror with being in control of the situation.

None of the sequels have ever gotten the elements that made the original work so perfectly. 2 and 4 probably come the closest. It's not the gore, it's not the roller coaster ride of grand thrills. It was the ordinariness of the whole scenario that spooked audiences out.

by Anonymousreply 258October 16, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote] It’s a fun and entertaining movie that is very clearly made to appeal to today’s youth who have no attention spans and need everything simple and explained for them to understand. You can tell by the pacing and editing and the over the top gore and kills that this was for today’s youth, not the fans who’ve watched this franchise for many years.

Would today's youth care about the legacy characters? Would they care that so many old people die in this one?

Some posters seem to forget that each sequel must be "bigger" and "more" than the previous one. Meaning, more kills, more gore, bigger scenes, more and bigger everything!

Personally, I appreciated the humor. I hated that Tommy character and his "evil dies tonight!" slogan he spread throughout the town. It showcased how ineffective and harmful mob mentality and vigilantism is.

Myers IS a supernatural construct of evil that will never die. I think a long time ago, the franchise should've embraced that by making Myers an entity which possesses people and gives them supernatural strength to go on a killing rampage on Halloween. I mean, in Halloween Kills Myers faces a group of hunky firemen and defeats them at ease and does the same to a passionate group of vigilantes. So many sequels and nobody realized that the guy never stays down for long and they just stop only to get slaughtered themselves soon after. I mean, at some point someone should've come up with the idea to sever all his limbs and bury them on different places (preferably on different continents). But nooooo, it's just the typical "underestimate the serial killer with superhuman strenght!" trope to keep the franchise going.

by Anonymousreply 259October 16, 2021 5:43 PM

Someone's Watching Me! was Carpenters project right before Halloween. Some consider it a test run for the techniques that he perfected in Halloween. Worth checking out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260October 16, 2021 5:49 PM

The gay couple cracked me up. Thoughts on Michael Myers playing Anne Murray "Could I Have This Dance?" as they sat staged and stabbed? I didn't expect the eyes to get gouged out.

The mental patient jumping was unexpected so I appreciated it.

I guess Kyle is going to be in the sequel since she survived lol

by Anonymousreply 261October 16, 2021 5:50 PM

These films are missing John Carpenter as the writer and director that’s why they’re not very good.

by Anonymousreply 262October 16, 2021 6:02 PM

The mental patient storyline was ridiculous and vulgar

by Anonymousreply 263October 16, 2021 6:27 PM

If Kyle comes back for ENDS, then she needs to bring Kim along with her...

"YOU STOLE THE GODDAMN MYERS HOUSE!"

by Anonymousreply 264October 16, 2021 6:33 PM

r263

by Anonymousreply 265October 16, 2021 6:33 PM

Not really interested in this. Saw a bit of the previous movie and thought it was pathetic. Dead franchise with a large, carefree audience to make the producers a lot of undeserved money

by Anonymousreply 266October 16, 2021 6:37 PM

R265

by Anonymousreply 267October 16, 2021 6:38 PM

The previous movie was good. This one is a brutal and soulless mess

by Anonymousreply 268October 16, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote] And Jamie and Donald's performances which anchor it.

I feel like I’m alone on this, but I never cared for Pleasance’s character or his performance. The three actresses playing the babysitters—and even Brian Andrews and Kyle Richards—were all better than Pleasance.

I don’t like him in anything else I’ve seen him in, either. Not even Wake In Fright. Just such an annoying actor.

by Anonymousreply 269October 16, 2021 6:44 PM

r268

by Anonymousreply 270October 16, 2021 7:02 PM

MM slays pandemic box office even while streaming simultaneously

Filmmaker David Gordon Green’s R-rated slasher pic earned $22.9 million on Friday from 3,705 theaters in North America for a projected $50 million weekend. Halloween Kills also launched Friday on Universal’s sister streaming service Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 271October 16, 2021 7:03 PM

R163 it reminds viewers of the problems of mob mentality so it was an interesting angle I thought

by Anonymousreply 272October 16, 2021 7:48 PM

I mean R263

by Anonymousreply 273October 16, 2021 7:48 PM

I know a lot of people turned off with the supernatural aspect. It is far scarier that this thing is out there, he’s human and has no soul, is smart and stalks you, sneaking up on you. Supernatural is so unbelievable it doesn’t scare people. He could have superhuman strength and be human. If he is that mentally disturbed he may also not feel pain. We know his body was medically tended to after the original when he was captured AND after H2 at the start of H4.

Again, if he is SUPERNATURAL why does he fall over with a needle to the neck or hanger to the eye? For as good a movie as it is, it became farcical how he would get shot and stabbed over and over, keep going, yet fall on his back with way less. Also, hand to hand combat with a 61 year old Laurie Strode he can’t get the best of her, yet he EASILY dispatches tons of strong firemen at the same time? In the Original, he wasn’t subjected to getting stabbed or shot until the end. Yes, he walked away but adrenaline can help you out. Carpenter didn’t intend for him to ACTUALLY be supernatural.

by Anonymousreply 274October 16, 2021 8:00 PM

He has to be supernatural. There is no other way he could do what he does, at his age. Even the healthiest and most fit 60 year old is not in the same physical shape as a 20 year old all those beatings and shootings and stabbings are going to take a toll. Even if you take into account (now offensive term) r----- strength, it's just not possible.

by Anonymousreply 275October 16, 2021 8:21 PM

Michael Myers is clearly not human. He was shot 6 times and gets right up and walks away and still has to stand. Did they even have to perform a surgery to remove the bullets? Knowing him, he'd have killed those surgeons, too. I'm surprised he even allowed himself to be locked up.

by Anonymousreply 276October 16, 2021 8:29 PM

It was mentioned above, but I really like the Choose Your Own Adventure thing the Halloween series does.

Possible Watch Orders:

1. Halloween '78, Halloween 2 '81, Halloween 4 '88, Halloween 5 '89, Halloween 6 Theatrical Cut '95

2. Halloween '78, Halloween 2 '81, Halloween 4 '88, Halloween 5 '89, Halloween 6 Producers Cut '95

3. Halloween '78, Halloween 2 '81, Halloween H20 '98, Halloween Resurrection '02

4. Halloween '78, Halloween '18, Halloween Kills '21

5. Rob Zombie's 2 films '07 & '09

If they ever want to bring Danielle Harris back as Jamie, they could do a film that picks up in the present day after the events of Halloween 4 and ignores everything but 1, 2, & 4. Jamie would escape Smith's Grove and be the killer, and Rachel would still be alive, now with teens of her own, living in Haddonfield. I don't know all the logistics but it'd be nice way to get two fan-favorite characters back on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 277October 16, 2021 8:29 PM

Supernatural certainly scares people all the time in movies as well as real life. A huge percentage of people believe in the supernatural for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 278October 16, 2021 8:54 PM

r271

by Anonymousreply 279October 16, 2021 9:06 PM

R145 Resurrection underperformed but it hardly flopped, it made more money worldwide than 3,4,5 and 6 for instance

I’m fact it’s you look at the box office numbers, the general public really wasn’t here for 4-6, HIII actually sold more tickets than 4-6 , I know not having Jamie Lee in those films hurt the series appeal to the general public

H7 was supposed to go direct to video due to the poor box office of 5 and 6, Jamie Lee coming back changed everything and the budgets were upped from about $3. Million a movie to $17 million for H20 with $5 million going to JLC and it was huge at the box office and Halloween was mainstream again for the first time since HII

by Anonymousreply 280October 16, 2021 9:06 PM

Just saw it for the 2nd time. I think I give it a B-. The parts I liked, I really liked.

My issues with it are mainly things that were fine in small doses but we had too much of.

The Big John/Little John namedropping. What couple says each others names that much??????

The mental patient stuff went on WAY too long.

Too much exposition and flashbacks (though not as bad as I felt the first time)

The editing was schizophrenic. We went from the Johns, cut to the hospital, cut back to the Johns.

I hated Tommy so much.

by Anonymousreply 281October 16, 2021 9:50 PM

I hope Halloween Ends really will be the end. I'm certain it will be the last time we see Laurie/Michael together, but what are you going to do after that? Make Lindsey Wallace the new main character or the plain Jane granddaughter? Maybe a cast of random teenagers who go to Haddonfield High? And if so, how many movies can you keep that up without adding a crazy twist like the Thorn Cult to keep things fresh? The purpose of this new trilogy was to erase the brother/sister twist that John Carpenter never liked. So it would be absurd to replace one "mistake" with a bunch of new ones.

I think they just need to make a really good finale for Halloween Ends so they can quit while they're ahead and end the series on a high note.

by Anonymousreply 282October 16, 2021 9:50 PM

Killing randos is fine by me. One of my favorite Myers stories is a comic from the H20 timeline. He fixes on a young woman who reminds him of Judith, chaos ensues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283October 16, 2021 9:53 PM

R274, is supernatural your word of the day?

by Anonymousreply 284October 16, 2021 10:35 PM

poll:

in general which movies are better-Michael or Jason ? I haven't seen all of them

by Anonymousreply 285October 16, 2021 10:40 PM

Ranking the masks.

Spoiler: most are awful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286October 16, 2021 10:47 PM

I didn't realize that MM was called "The Shape". I saw that in the credits and didn't know what it meant, so I Googled it.

by Anonymousreply 287October 16, 2021 10:55 PM

This mask was great with the singed look

by Anonymousreply 288October 16, 2021 11:21 PM

I think it's time for another remake - this outgrowth of the story sucked for me I say bring back JLC and Danielle Harris and bring rob zombie to give it another try - why? Because I am bored

by Anonymousreply 289October 16, 2021 11:32 PM

Even though everyone hates the film but me and 2 others? I do not recall a horror /slasher film getting this many replies!!! Its insane.

I saw the film at the theater. I am now home rewatching Halloween 2018 and ready to watch Halloween Kills again- on Peacock!!!!

I actually really loved the end of Halloween 2018 much more than I remembered.

YES!!!!!

Loved this film!!!

by Anonymousreply 290October 16, 2021 11:34 PM

Breaking: MM Sighted in Baltimore 🗞

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291October 16, 2021 11:40 PM

The good parts are REALLY good. The crappy parts are REALLY bad.

by Anonymousreply 292October 16, 2021 11:42 PM

It’s terrible.

by Anonymousreply 293October 16, 2021 11:42 PM

It’s a huge thumbs down

by Anonymousreply 294October 16, 2021 11:47 PM

The first Halloween is a million times better than any Friday the 13th film, and I say that as somebody who grew up watching the latter series over and over and over again. John Carpenter's original Halloween is just in another league from basically every other slasher -- it's a horror masterpiece. I also think Halloween 2 and 3 and to a lesser degree H20 are a lot of fun. So I give the edge to Halloween but Jason Voorhees is enjoyable for the trash it is.

by Anonymousreply 295October 16, 2021 11:50 PM

R295 Halloween is definitely the more respected series and it has a LOT of stars and celebrities in the films throughout the years (even Howard Hessman was in Rob Zombies Halloween II and Tyra Banks in Halloween Resurrection!)), Jamie Lee Curtis being the most obvious

Most of those actors wouldn’t TOUCH a Friday the 13th film with a ten foot pole

by Anonymousreply 296October 16, 2021 11:54 PM

[quote]I didn't realize that MM was called "The Shape". I saw that in the credits and didn't know what it meant, so I Googled it.

So you've never seen the original 1978 film? He's referred to as The Shape in the credits of that movie too.

by Anonymousreply 297October 16, 2021 11:57 PM

Has Carpenter ever explained the "Shape" thing? I like it but it's... just Michael Myers.

by Anonymousreply 298October 16, 2021 11:59 PM

I always assumed he was called "The Shape" in the original movie because he sort of existed in the shadows. And "Michael Myers" wasn't a road tested brand yet, just a boogeyman going around killing babysitters in a low-budget horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 299October 17, 2021 12:01 AM

The Kyle Richards shills here are ridiculous.

She is awful in this shitty movie.

by Anonymousreply 300October 17, 2021 12:07 AM

In the 80s, Friday the 13th was the bigger and more popular franchise. But Halloween has had longer cultural relevance and staying power

by Anonymousreply 301October 17, 2021 12:11 AM

Sean Cunningham admitted that F13 was nothing more than a shameless cash grab rip off of Halloween. He and Victor Miller had previously done a kids movie that made no money and saw it as their last gasp at movie fortune.

by Anonymousreply 302October 17, 2021 12:13 AM

R301

by Anonymousreply 303October 17, 2021 12:23 AM

R301 yes Halloween is MUCH bigger than F13 now

F13 was bigger in the 80s partly because they released EIGHT films that decade, while Halloween just had FOUR and Halloween missed out on the mid 80s and Michael Myers was only in THREE of them

But the F13 series, especially at it’s peak was always hated by the industry , film critics and even Paramount, who barely promoted the films (no press junket interviews, no red carpet premieres) and just tossed them out almost annually with just a few TV spots and Fangoria magazine coverage, they were embarrassed by these films

Hell even most of the (unknown) actors in the F13 films were told by their management to take it off their resume and pretend like they never did one, it was one small step above doing a porno

The Halloween series was always much more respected, look at the first film and how many big careers in front of and behind the camera came out of that film only, F13 didn’t have that

by Anonymousreply 304October 17, 2021 12:29 AM

Kyle really isn't bad at all in the movie. She never took me out of it the way a bad performance will do. Is she Oscar worthy? No, but neither is the movie or the character work. She might not be ready for a new Mamet play, but in a cheesy slasher movie, she manages to not embarrass herself.

The movie is a mixed bag, but it's cool to have a dumb slasher movie not just in theaters but making a shit ton of money, too.

by Anonymousreply 305October 17, 2021 12:33 AM

Imagine actually watching a Cassavetes film on Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 306October 17, 2021 12:37 AM

I thought Kyle was great and she has beautiful hair.

by Anonymousreply 307October 17, 2021 12:51 AM

I rewatched it and counted how many people Michael killed in this movie: 31

by Anonymousreply 308October 17, 2021 1:14 AM

When Michael was walking between houses without his mask, he looked like Jeffrey Tambor.

by Anonymousreply 309October 17, 2021 1:16 AM

All of the negatives mentioned are glaringly true. The Twitter mob stuff was mind-numbingly BAD.

The 1978 retcon was stupid and unnecessary. It added nothing to this continuity-discarded mess.

The dumb sheriff’s speech telling Laurie that she isn’t Michael’s target was just the writers reiterating that they aren’t related - WE GET IT.

The mythification of Judith’s bedroom was silly.

The only things I enjoyed were the gruesome death of the ugly boyfriend and the nod to H6 (did you catch it?)

My niece said, “Michael Myers never moved fast like that before! Stupid!”

by Anonymousreply 310October 17, 2021 1:16 AM

I did not catch the nod to H6, R310. Do tell!

by Anonymousreply 311October 17, 2021 1:28 AM

I'm going to defend Friday the 13th. While I agree that Halloween was probably the more respected of the two franchises. To me, while Friday the 13th has taken some crazy turns over the years, it has never lost sight of what it really is - a fun slasher movie with a bad guy killing a bunch of horny teens for revenge. Even when they sent Jason into outer space he was still killing a bunch of horny teens. Jason's motivation is always clear. I think there is only one film in the series where Jason isn't the real bad guy and that flopped so badly, that they just pretended that film never existed in the series, but even that was still about revenge.

by Anonymousreply 312October 17, 2021 1:36 AM

Halloween started the whole slasher boom, but Friday the 13th really cemented a formula for the genre.

by Anonymousreply 313October 17, 2021 1:42 AM

I was wrong about the H6 nod. The pitchfork-in-the-back was a wink to Spitz’s death in H5.

by Anonymousreply 314October 17, 2021 1:43 AM

That scene was vile and nasty, even for MM

by Anonymousreply 315October 17, 2021 2:08 AM

R315.

by Anonymousreply 316October 17, 2021 2:15 AM

Someone mentioned Akkad upthread. If you're a diehard Halloween fan, I absolutely recommend you read The Lost Halloween Sequels, a massive book that chronicles every unrealized sequel to the original Halloween. The author did an amazing job chronicling the films before but this one is a hell of a lot more fun to read. If you thought the Halloween sequels were bad, you have no idea how truly bad they could have been until you read this book. It's a miracle Akkad didn't completely destroy the franchise given what nearly got made. What's most shocking to me was how Carpenter would have been heavily involved in some of these cinematic abortions if not for conflicts in scheduling or the odd deal that fell through. It's a fun read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317October 17, 2021 2:21 AM

As someone who has only seen the first Halloween, can someone recommend which movies from the franchise are the best? I don’t want to watch all of them if some of them are shitty.

by Anonymousreply 318October 17, 2021 2:33 AM

I don't think it's fair to compare the longevity of Halloween vs. Friday the 13th for now because of that stupid lawsuit. There hasn't been a Friday the 13th movie since February of 2009 whereas there have been 3 Halloween films since then. 4 once Halloween Ends comes out. If they were allowed to put Friday the 13th movies out, I think Jason would prove to be equally relevant and have as much longevity as Michael Myers. But that won't happen until this legal mumbo-jumbo is settled once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 319October 17, 2021 2:37 AM

R318 Halloween (1978), Halloween II (1981), Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween H20: 20 Years Later, and Halloween (2018) are the most popular.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch and Halloween (2007) are pretty divisive, but they have their share of fans.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, Halloween: Resurrection, and Halloween II (2009) are the ones I see get the most hatred.

by Anonymousreply 320October 17, 2021 2:45 AM

R320 Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 321October 17, 2021 2:49 AM

I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE THAT KYLE SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!

She was actually quite good.

Shit I am so sad that everyone hates this movie!

by Anonymousreply 322October 17, 2021 2:50 AM

And truly- Big John RULED. I loved those dudes!

by Anonymousreply 323October 17, 2021 2:51 AM

Lindsey strikes me as the Rachel in Halloween 5, the Alice in Friday the 13th Part 2, the Kincaid in A Nightmare on Elm Street 4... I have a feeling she is going to be killed very early on in Halloween Ends. Perhaps the first victim of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 324October 17, 2021 2:53 AM

I enjoyed this fan film more than this "big film release".

It clocks in under 30 minutes too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325October 17, 2021 3:01 AM

That ending made no sense, why would karen just go up in that house by herself and leave her wounded daughter alone? Also wasn't that house surrounded by cops? Did Michael just teleport in there? Awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 326October 17, 2021 3:18 AM

[quote] These films are missing John Carpenter as the writer and director that’s why they’re not very good.'

Oh puhleeze! John Carpenter being involved in a movie is NO guarantee of quality.

by Anonymousreply 327October 17, 2021 3:18 AM

Yeah, and who did she see upstairs in The window?

by Anonymousreply 328October 17, 2021 3:23 AM

Oscar nomination and win for Kyle Richards!

by Anonymousreply 329October 17, 2021 3:23 AM

Big John and Little John annoyed the shit out of me only because they mentioned each other's names every 15 seconds. Who the fuck does that???

by Anonymousreply 330October 17, 2021 3:23 AM

How is John Carpenter's net worth only $40 million? That doesn't seem right. He must have made a fortune from Halloween over the years, as well as Escape from NY and The Thing.

by Anonymousreply 331October 17, 2021 3:27 AM

R331 unless you see court docs or his tax returns, we have no idea what he's worth. Celebrity net worth sites are bullshit.

Also, the original Halloween was a TINY movie that nobody expected to become what it did. He made peanuts on it.

by Anonymousreply 332October 17, 2021 3:29 AM

Currently at 38% on rottentomatoes.

I am convinced this franchise will never die, no matter how terrible and repetitive and negatively-reviewed the sequels are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333October 17, 2021 3:31 AM

For me the most ridiculous thing was that they made such a big deal of Michael staring out of his sister's window and then came up with the glorious idea that he's staring at his reflection. Like, the house doesn't have mirrors or all the other windows are too dirty? If they had framed it like Michael is trying to relive the moment where he stared at his reflection right after his first kill, that would've made some sense.

Given the lackluster death scenes of Tommy and Karen I guess they survive?

by Anonymousreply 334October 17, 2021 5:52 AM

Just read the ENDS will be set 4 years after KILLS.

by Anonymousreply 335October 17, 2021 6:43 AM

I was impressed by the 1978 era Myers House and the CGI Loomis.

by Anonymousreply 336October 17, 2021 10:11 AM

That Tommy character and the raged crowd trying to kill a man without real evidence were everything that is wrong with Americans and the only realistic thing in the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 337October 17, 2021 12:26 PM

I don’t like them bringing dead actors back to life in CGI.

R328 ummmm stupid question. There was no one actually there. She thought she saw little Michael Myers.

Her daughter wasn’t alone. There were cops and paramedics surrounding her.

I assume there is a back door MM came in and killed Karen. The Psycho homage didn’t work though.

by Anonymousreply 338October 17, 2021 12:27 PM

John Carpenter didn’t make shit for the original. The studio got all that surprise hit money.

I’m sure he got money for the sequels but you never know what his deal was. For all we know he barely makes shit off his characters.

by Anonymousreply 339October 17, 2021 12:28 PM

Please tell me all of you hated Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 340October 17, 2021 12:31 PM

I know I did.

by Anonymousreply 341October 17, 2021 12:33 PM

Yeah, the CGI Loomis was AMAZING! If that’s the direction CGI is going, wow, I would be really worried as an actor. I thought it was completely seamless. A combination of old footage and deepfake? It was crazy good.

I liked the nod to gays and horror and coming in and fixing up old abandoned homes. Their deaths were genuinely upsetting. The killing of the old couple was really gratuitous and awful. Why was that in there? I did like Judy Greer’s death. A nod to old school Psycho-like killings. The crowd against Michael was a chaotic mess and destroyed half the movie.

I felt like the whole thing really needed an auteur. Someone who knows how to stage things and shoot things. The director was singularly not gifted, at all. The script was… weird? Tried to be deep and miserably failed. It must be a nightmare getting those eye rolling lines as an actor and trying to make them seem passable. Kyle wasn’t bad!

But so very little tension and fear in the movie. Just sticking with it to see how they play out Laurie Strode. Surely she will sacrifice herself to save everyone in the next movie. Will they finally retire Michael? Not if he keeps opening movies at 50 mil and breaking records in the middle of a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 342October 17, 2021 12:36 PM

My sister went to see it with her gay bestie on Friday night and was telling me their thoughts.

They were offended by how ugly most of the town is. In the 1978 movie the three teen girls were all cute and the kids were cute etc. this time even the kids were ugly. This offended them lol.

She hated Tommy. Hated him, and actually clapped when Michael killed him. She kept mocking him getting the whole town together only for them all to be butchered. She also was over his “evil dies tonight” motto. I personally liked him and understood why he was so set on finding and killing MM, but seems some feel he’s an idiot.

She didn’t find Kyle Richards to be a good actress (unlike me, who felt she did well) but found her scenes to be “better”.

She felt Marion got a better death scene in H20, but since that is retconned, this timelines death was brought upon herself. She doesn’t understand why she kept shooting the windows instead of hopping over into the drivers seat and driving.

She liked Karen in this one a lot.

She didn’t like the flashback added scene for the 1978 film to add a new character, and found him to be unnecessary to the movie. But because they made him Cameron’s dad, she assumed one or the other would die, not both. She was shocked they killed off both, but again, the dad was unnecessary and dies offscreen. She found Cameron’s death to be over the top and overly violent for no reason, and by the time MM snapped his neck she wanted him to just so he’s not just left there suffering.

Michael Myers doesn’t run or speed walk. Biggest issue with this movie for her.

by Anonymousreply 343October 17, 2021 12:41 PM

R342 there was no “nod to the gays” 🙄 and both characters were annoying beyond belief. They just decided to include a gay couple, the way they included a black couple and an interracial couple to show you modern times. The old movies were all white and hetero. In 2018 things are different, because they are.

by Anonymousreply 344October 17, 2021 12:45 PM

Why do several people think Lonnie is a new character? He's one of the three boys that torment Tommy and then dare each other to go in the Myers house.

by Anonymousreply 345October 17, 2021 12:46 PM

I need to point out that the most moronic characters in this film were the black couple and the gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 346October 17, 2021 12:46 PM

R345 because he was just an extra in the 1978 movie. Making him a main character out of nowhere feels like a reach.

If he weren’t a newly added character they wouldn’t have had to film a 1978 scene to add him in. They would have 1978 footage like they did for the other survivors from that night.

by Anonymousreply 347October 17, 2021 12:48 PM

No one said Lonnie was a new character. We just hate that added retconned scene, and the retcon with the dumb cop. Two worthless 1978 added scenes in this pile of dull junk.

by Anonymousreply 348October 17, 2021 12:48 PM

Uh, R343 just said it and and it was mentioned by someone else upthread too.

by Anonymousreply 349October 17, 2021 12:49 PM

[quote] I assume there is a back door MM came in and killed Karen. The Psycho homage didn’t work though.

The back door was pretty much established in the Big John / Little John scene when Myers banged on both the back door and the front door.

And I loved the gay couple. And it was a nice touch of Myers to position them in the same way as in the framed picture we see of them.

by Anonymousreply 350October 17, 2021 12:49 PM

Why would Michael do that?

by Anonymousreply 351October 17, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote] because he was just an extra in the 1978 movie.

Extras don't have lines. Lonnie actually spoke in the movie. The character was minor but let's not pretend it was non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 352October 17, 2021 12:53 PM

There were two other boys who bullies little Tommy, will they be retconned into the next film with added footage? Did anyone else run into MM on the street that can be retconned in?

by Anonymousreply 353October 17, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] I assume there is a back door MM came in and killed Karen.

Have you not seen the original Halloween? That's how it all started.

by Anonymousreply 354October 17, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] Did anyone else run into MM on the street that can be retconned in?

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 355October 17, 2021 12:57 PM

"Hey Lonnie. You get yor ass away from there."

by Anonymousreply 356October 17, 2021 12:59 PM

I liked the flashback because it showed how Michael was arrested in '78.

And apparently Dr. Loomis was all prosthetics with no CGI.

by Anonymousreply 357October 17, 2021 1:00 PM

It was all prosthetic. Hot producer Ryan Turek mentioned it on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 358October 17, 2021 1:01 PM

Okkkaaaayyyy R344. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 359October 17, 2021 1:05 PM

[quote] There were two other boys who bullies little Tommy, will they be retconned into the next film with added footage? Did anyone else run into MM on the street that can be retconned in?

They had more screen time and spoke more than Dr. Wynn. Did you have a hissy fit when his character was retconned in The Curse of Michael Myers?

by Anonymousreply 360October 17, 2021 1:06 PM

Loomis was all prosthetics?? No way, wow.

by Anonymousreply 361October 17, 2021 1:08 PM

Lonnie’s name is spoken by Tommy and Laurie in the original movie, he is shown tormenting Tommy in a scene and in another he is scared away from entering the Myers house when Loomis whispers at him to “get your ass away from there.” As R360 said, that’s a lot more screen time than Dr. Wynn originally got and no one complained about him being an integral part of the plot in the dreadful Curse. If anything, Frank is the shoehorned-in retcon character.

by Anonymousreply 362October 17, 2021 1:18 PM

Polygon: As cruel as it may sound, the swarms of victims in most corpse-packed horror movies are consciously prevented from becoming full characters, so the gorehounds in the audience can enjoy the cathartic release of watching heads roll. Halloween Kills instead puts names and faces on the victims, making them the protagonists’ neighbors or friends. Then it still mows them down in an over-the-top way, signaling to the audience that all this is meant to be fun, while making sure it isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 363October 17, 2021 1:46 PM

Sam Kinison did a good job as the escaped mental patient running around the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 364October 17, 2021 1:48 PM

Yeah that mental patient reminded me of the Penguin from Batman Returns.

by Anonymousreply 365October 17, 2021 1:51 PM

Kinison was in this? Prosthetic too?

by Anonymousreply 366October 17, 2021 1:52 PM

So true

by Anonymousreply 367October 17, 2021 1:53 PM

Why did the Black "doctor" run all the way down the street (with the gun she claimed to know how to use), let her nurse husband and Marion get killed, and then come running back from down the block?

That was idiot.

And her death was like out of a Vin Diesel movie.

by Anonymousreply 368October 17, 2021 1:53 PM

It was so misplaced and bad as to change the tone of the movie into low brow camp, and undermine any attempts of setting a scary tone

by Anonymousreply 369October 17, 2021 1:54 PM

R366 Puppetry

by Anonymousreply 370October 17, 2021 1:54 PM

No one is denying that Lonnie was in H1978.

But his newly added fake retcon was ridiculous, as was the endless one with the cop.

by Anonymousreply 371October 17, 2021 1:55 PM

Loomis was done by two people: physically played by the Art Director of the movie in makeup and prosthetics, and voiced by a voice actor who did him in the 2018 movie. The makeup was pretty great in this movie, and deserves an Oscar nod. I’ve seen far less get much more attention and awards. However, whoever did Kyle’s cheap wig needs to be run out of the business.

by Anonymousreply 372October 17, 2021 1:56 PM

Kyle was a great role in this?

by Anonymousreply 373October 17, 2021 1:59 PM

Why did Lindsay have ink-black hair?

She looked preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 374October 17, 2021 1:59 PM

Because she wasn't tall enough.

by Anonymousreply 375October 17, 2021 2:01 PM

Halloween Kweens.

The fourth installment coming in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 376October 17, 2021 2:01 PM

R369 What was campy about this movie?

by Anonymousreply 377October 17, 2021 2:02 PM

My god was I disappointed by this. Inert, lifeless, DEADLY pacing, a complete lack of real scares, and not enough Jamie Lee.

I love these movies but this was a total misfire.

by Anonymousreply 378October 17, 2021 2:03 PM

I went in with an open mind because of how wildly inconsistent the Halloween movies have always been lol. I realized early on we were in for a campy, trashy, chaotic movie when everyone in town started acting like Loomis.

by Anonymousreply 379October 17, 2021 2:18 PM

[quote]However, whoever did Kyle’s cheap wig needs to be run out of the business.

That is not a wig. Her hair may be dyed, but the Richards sisters have always had great hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380October 17, 2021 2:22 PM

Any excuse to get plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 381October 17, 2021 2:28 PM

Those bangs looked like a cheap wig.

She was terrible in this.

by Anonymousreply 382October 17, 2021 2:28 PM

I didn’t think she was terrible. She was fine. There has been way more offensive acting in this franchise than that.

The 2018 movie had a lot of bad acting.

by Anonymousreply 383October 17, 2021 2:35 PM

Sam Kinison???

I thought that was Sarah Huckabee Sanders making her theatrical debut.

by Anonymousreply 384October 17, 2021 2:36 PM

R382 = Brandy

by Anonymousreply 385October 17, 2021 2:45 PM

R368 so because she’s Black she can’t be a Doctor? And what does her being Black have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 386October 17, 2021 2:46 PM

Black, black, blacK, bLack, BlAcK

by Anonymousreply 387October 17, 2021 2:49 PM

Yeah, that’s all you think about r387. I know. That’s why you said Black “Doctor”, because in your mind a Black person can’t be one (even though there are many Black Doctors)

by Anonymousreply 388October 17, 2021 2:52 PM

blacK, BLACK, black, BLacK

by Anonymousreply 389October 17, 2021 2:55 PM

R388 - a gay white woke

by Anonymousreply 390October 17, 2021 2:56 PM

If you’re gay, you need to be thanking “woke” people

by Anonymousreply 391October 17, 2021 2:57 PM

It’s “woke” to acknowledge there are black doctors?

by Anonymousreply 392October 17, 2021 2:58 PM

Gay is not woke.

by Anonymousreply 393October 17, 2021 3:02 PM

But so many black people in a small Illinois town is.

by Anonymousreply 394October 17, 2021 3:03 PM

R393 gay is woke. Gay people are not the accepted beings all over the way you claim all the time. Gays are still murdered. Go try being openly gay in a small town in Arkansas or either Dakota, you will get a LARGE reality check.

There ARE black people in many small towns, however.

by Anonymousreply 395October 17, 2021 3:06 PM

I hope Kyle's character gets decapitated in the next movie.

by Anonymousreply 396October 17, 2021 3:08 PM

I thought the Black brat was their kid, but I guess there’s more than one Black family in Haddonfield.

by Anonymousreply 397October 17, 2021 3:08 PM

Gay is not woke.

by Anonymousreply 398October 17, 2021 3:08 PM

I typically stay quiet with the race trolls or the trolls who claim accepting gay is “not woke” but accepting black people is, but I am a gay man born and raised in Minnesota who now lives in a major city. I moved to that major city because of how awful I was treated as a gay man. And I am not an old man, I am a young guy. I had people openly refer to me as a faggot, had parents who didn’t want their kids around me because they thought I may be gay (the woman across the street from us beat her son for walking home with me), would be the scapegoat for teachers and get in trouble despite doing nothing, etc. and my parents could care less about me. When I left they looked like they were thrilled. My ex was kicked out of his house at 16 when he came out. I thought of trying to stick it out but I knew I was not welcome by most once I came out.

Post college I ran out and haven’t looked back.

This was 2017, by the way.

I actually get sad and upset when I see claims that “gay isn’t woke” and lies pushed on here that gays are these accepted beings. Some of you may have grown up in very accepting cities and don’t know that many of us in other parts of this country do not know what that is like. Some of you know what it’s like out there but are so far removed because you left years ago that you’ve forgotten that many gays out there still face prejudice and discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 399October 17, 2021 3:21 PM

Gays are not accepted or woke.

by Anonymousreply 400October 17, 2021 3:24 PM

R399, DL lives in a strange bubble. Nothing exists between the coasts. Republicans are bad. Black people are bad. Out gay people are bad. Meghan Markle is evil for breathing. It's a strange place. You've got to tune it out. To bring it back around to Halloween. DL is like that mob formed by Tommy Doyle.

by Anonymousreply 401October 17, 2021 3:31 PM

Okay, back to the fucking movie. I hated the score.

by Anonymousreply 402October 17, 2021 3:31 PM

Tommy was a mess. But he deserved a better death scene

by Anonymousreply 403October 17, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote]If you’re gay, you need to be thanking “woke” people

How offensive.

by Anonymousreply 404October 17, 2021 3:37 PM

Halloween Kills?

What about Vanity?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405October 17, 2021 3:47 PM

If people hate Halloween Kills, they may hate Halloween Ends even more from the sound of it. I'm curious to see just how they'll incorporate the pandemic into the plot. I don't want to hear Laurie say something cheesy like "We're all in masks now, Michael" and then shoot him in the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406October 17, 2021 3:49 PM

Will Covid be what finally kills Michael or Laurie?

by Anonymousreply 407October 17, 2021 3:50 PM

But will Michael take the jab?

by Anonymousreply 408October 17, 2021 3:53 PM

Michael Myers contracts COVID. He coughs on a bunch of people. It is what ultimately kills him but he will bring many people down with him, especially Trump loving antivaxxers and their children.

by Anonymousreply 409October 17, 2021 4:04 PM

I would love a scene of the Haddonfield hospital staff having to deal to with a bunch of anti-vaxxer covid patients begging for ivermectin.

by Anonymousreply 410October 17, 2021 4:18 PM

Why do some people actually want to see people killed in a gory and explicit manner on screen? Isn’t that a sign of a twisted and perverted mind?

by Anonymousreply 411October 17, 2021 4:26 PM

R411 Well, it isn't real. It isn't like we're looking up videos of Taliban beheadings as entertainment which some people actually do.

by Anonymousreply 412October 17, 2021 4:34 PM

I think that what lowers these newer films down a notch is the explicit gore. I realize that audiences have changed and gore is almost expected in horror movies today, but what made Carpenter's original such a standout was that it was scary and atmospheric, not gory. Gore is good for gross-out shock value, but it is not scary in the way that a good score combined with a certain camera angle can deliver.

by Anonymousreply 413October 17, 2021 4:41 PM

Horror movie fans understand.

by Anonymousreply 414October 17, 2021 4:43 PM

So did Tommy have a wife or any kids? What did he do for a living?

We learned more about the black couple and Lonnie than we did about Tommy, Lindsey, and Marion.

by Anonymousreply 415October 17, 2021 4:56 PM

Horror films don't create nightmares, they take them away. It's a healthy way of experiencing and living through fear and coming out the other end in a better place. I suppose it's the same reason why people jump out of planes or go on roller coasters. It's a safe way of confronting our fears of death.

by Anonymousreply 416October 17, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote]I suppose it's the same reason why people jump out of planes or go on roller coasters. It's a safe way of confronting our fears of death.

That is, unless the parachute fails to deploy or the seatbelt isn't properly secured.

by Anonymousreply 417October 17, 2021 5:02 PM

HALLOWEEN KILLS is worse than HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION.

by Anonymousreply 418October 17, 2021 5:33 PM

Polygon: Halloween Kills has its merits, including a few good laughs and a few inventive kills. But those momentary bursts of entertainment can’t carry the weight of the legendary Michael Myers legacy. This is the monster who helped kickstart the entire slasher subgenre, and audiences who love those films have high expectations when it comes to their beloved bad guys. Fans of Michael Myers might get a kick out of seeing him on the big screen again, but those who truly know him will likely be let down by his wavering representation. Bloodthirsty gorehounds could perhaps feel indulged by the inventive kills sprinkled throughout, but will likely be turned off by some characters’ obvious morality and atonal losses. Halloween Kills never settles on a tone, a morality, or its killer, and while it lives up to its aggressive title, it still feels sloppy and hollow.

by Anonymousreply 419October 17, 2021 5:34 PM

If you’re gonna attempt camp and humor in the midst of this type Of bloodbath, make sure you are exceptionally good at writing and directing humor. This movie is exceptionally bad at it

by Anonymousreply 420October 17, 2021 5:35 PM

r419 r420

by Anonymousreply 421October 17, 2021 5:44 PM

What was great about the Pleasence was that he could make even the corniest dialogue sound credible. When other actors are given the task, they fall far short.

by Anonymousreply 422October 17, 2021 6:12 PM

R406 fuck I hope they change their minds. I do not need real world shit in my horror movies thanks!

by Anonymousreply 423October 17, 2021 7:00 PM

The angry ranting stupid towns people reminded me of the trumptards, I'm sure it was on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 424October 17, 2021 7:07 PM

R423 If they have to make a Halloween film involving the pandemic I'd rather it be a sequel to Season of the Witch with Silver Shamrock reopening and making a line of COVID masks.

by Anonymousreply 425October 17, 2021 7:07 PM

I missed Jamie lee and her shenis alot in this flick.

by Anonymousreply 426October 17, 2021 7:09 PM

Halloween 2018 was widely lauded by critics and cited as an example of a new heyday of horror. The current is being slammed by critics

by Anonymousreply 427October 17, 2021 7:47 PM

I loved Loomis in this film.

The score sucked.

Only gays or Mexicans would buy the old Myers house.

Tommy’s rage was understandable.

Tommy reciting past events was a nice touch. I liked it. Having a little recap is a nice things. F13 did it all the time.

Halloween is definitely more respected. F13 1-3 were perfect slasher movies. H 1 & 2, H20, 2018 were perfect thrillers/horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 428October 17, 2021 7:50 PM

First, there should be no debate that MM is supernatural or superhuman. It was clear by 1981.

by Anonymousreply 429October 17, 2021 7:52 PM

R427 which makes HK so more surprising. It was the same writers, same director. What the fuck happened??

by Anonymousreply 430October 17, 2021 8:01 PM

IF he is supernatural that is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 431October 17, 2021 8:01 PM

The trend for so long in Hollywood is to always go bigger. It may work for some films, but not others. TV gets this. We want a good, solid, effective movie. Someone mentioned upthread either the mental patient could have been killing (us thinking it is MM) or MM could have found a group of teens to stalk on his way to his house. The killing was so over the top it was stupid esp the firefighters.

by Anonymousreply 432October 17, 2021 8:04 PM

How is he not supernatural?

by Anonymousreply 433October 17, 2021 8:14 PM

The tone of this movie totally undermined the 43 year mystique and respect for this franchise, bad sequels no withstanding. I know Laurie has been through a lot, but they made her absolutely grating and annoying in this movie. Moreover, the silly hospital scenes and crazy overkills severely undermined the dignity of the franchise. It seemed to be on a mission to desecrate the franchise

by Anonymousreply 434October 17, 2021 8:18 PM

This movie was filmed in Wilmington

by Anonymousreply 435October 17, 2021 8:23 PM

R434 unclutch your pearls

by Anonymousreply 436October 17, 2021 8:28 PM

Who thinks they may have the final scene in H-Ends in the house Laurie was babysitting in?

Also, why not film where they filmed the original?

by Anonymousreply 437October 17, 2021 8:29 PM

Over $50 this weekend is quite good

by Anonymousreply 438October 17, 2021 8:32 PM

$50 million

by Anonymousreply 439October 17, 2021 8:33 PM

R437 the original was filmed in Pasadena, which can't really pass for a Midwestern town anymore. And...tax credits. Movies film where they get tax breaks.

by Anonymousreply 440October 17, 2021 8:34 PM

I also think they'll go back to Tommy and Lindsey's houses in Kills. I bet it would be less of a headache to build replicas of the two houses from the original rather than go back and shoot at the real ones.

by Anonymousreply 441October 17, 2021 8:44 PM

Ends, not Kills ^

by Anonymousreply 442October 17, 2021 8:44 PM

It was good, however Halloween II (1981) still remains the best sequel by far

It’s so underrated but lately people have been re-examining it even JLC who trashed HII for years said she recently watched it and she thought it was pretty good

by Anonymousreply 443October 17, 2021 8:47 PM

This was a horrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 444October 17, 2021 8:54 PM

6.1/10 on IMDB. So they're packing them in this weekend, but they're not that thrilled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445October 17, 2021 8:56 PM

I have yet to hear anyone make a good argument why it was a good idea to retcon the brother sister relationship especially as this film makes no attempt to capture the tone or aesthetic of the original in any other regard. This film certainly doesn’t make a good case. All I hear about is that it was what carpenter wanted but he didn’t exactly have any good idea of how to continue the franchise either back then or now. I would think any Fan of the franchise would’ve liked the direction the series took in at least some of the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 446October 17, 2021 9:01 PM

I liked the Bro/Sis aspect. It tied into him butchering Judith.

by Anonymousreply 447October 17, 2021 9:04 PM

Kyle Richards was not so bad in this. I forget that she used to be a decent actress.

by Anonymousreply 448October 17, 2021 9:05 PM

r8 I wish you a speedy recovery from your covid infection. I hope it was worth risking your life to watch a subpar horror film in a crowded movie theater. You are a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 449October 17, 2021 9:16 PM

The bro/sis aspect explained his crazy. It was better when he was just stalking some random girl who happened to drop some keys off on his doorstep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450October 17, 2021 9:16 PM

I liked her too but all the kooky Real Housewives trolls in this thread claiming otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 451October 17, 2021 9:16 PM

Was Kyle stabbed repeatedly in the face?

by Anonymousreply 452October 17, 2021 9:22 PM

Even Halloween 6 had a clearer narrative going than this bloated drivel.

by Anonymousreply 453October 17, 2021 9:30 PM

R450 I don't think it explained his crazy. Michael still pretty much kills indiscriminately. It makes Laurie more interesting. Even Rob Zombie attempted to use it as a way to explore Laurie's own descent into madness. Not saying that was the direction they should have taken, but it was still an interesting concept. My problem is not really with the retconning itself, but the fact that they didn't do anything else that justifies its exclusion. In fact, the convoluted plot by Dr. Sartain in 2018 is especially ridiculous and shows that the filmmakers really didn't have any good ideas of how to get these two to face off against each other in a way that made sense.

by Anonymousreply 454October 17, 2021 9:39 PM

There weren't enough trashy sluts in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 455October 17, 2021 9:41 PM

The misdirected hospital mob was a ridiculous, farcical hot mess that made the movement collapse into a train wreck

by Anonymousreply 456October 17, 2021 10:10 PM

The filmmakers are white trash, low brow comedy people. They got away with 2018 but showed their true nature with this garbage sequel.

by Anonymousreply 457October 17, 2021 10:17 PM

Yep, it was a return to the Rob Zombie level of depravity

by Anonymousreply 458October 17, 2021 10:25 PM

It wasn’t that bad. Sheesh.

They made a lot of mistakes for sure though.

by Anonymousreply 459October 17, 2021 10:30 PM

It was ten times better than the crap that Zombie shat out.

by Anonymousreply 460October 17, 2021 10:36 PM

I was a bit too young to see the first Halloween came out and didn’t see it until a few years later on video or cable. I have never seen Halloween II. It used to be hard to find, but I’m watching it right now on AMC Plus (which I thought I had cancelled) and DL fave Ana Alicia is in this! I guess this was right before she got cast (or, “casted”) on Falcon Crest.

by Anonymousreply 461October 17, 2021 10:48 PM

I hate that I knew about the sister/brother story addition before I watched the original - it is so effective as a stand-alone movie. II is a chore to watch because it's so bleak in the hospital atmosphere and just drags. I like 4 and 5 because of Loomis along with Michael's supernatural slaughterfest.. both have good 1980s production value as well. The 90s continuations and 00's remakes just suck

by Anonymousreply 462October 17, 2021 10:52 PM

I love Kyle Richard’s bangs. Bangs should come back. I’m tired of looking at frau’s with five heads and ugly hairlines.

by Anonymousreply 463October 17, 2021 11:10 PM

The intro dream sequence of RZ's 2009 Halloween 2 is light years better than every second of this cobbled-together wretched Halloween Kills.

NEVER thought I would be praising any of RZ's Halloween work, but H Kills is THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 464October 17, 2021 11:10 PM

R464 That hospital sequence in RZ's Halloween 2 is absolutely brilliant. Too bad the rest of the movie sucked.

by Anonymousreply 465October 17, 2021 11:15 PM

Halloween Kills is going down as a reviled sequel partly because peoples’ expectations were so elevated so much after Halloween 2018. It’s like what happened between Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984.

by Anonymousreply 466October 17, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]Horror movie fans understand.

I'm a huge horror fan, and loved the first of these films. but I think all the sequels are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 467October 17, 2021 11:26 PM

The problem has always been that Halloween was meant to be a one-off film. There's no story left after the original. Carpenter and Hill never went into it with a sequel in mind. The open ending was just a nice, creepy Twilight Zone-y touch. None of the sequels have come close to the power and the terror that film created. Even Carpenter and Hill realized that and did Halloween II only due to contract obligations. They realized they couldn't top the original and went for the anthology aspect which was smart, but audiences only wanted Michael Myers and/or Laurie Strode and it never took off.

The original film is so simplistic and that's what works about it. Once you try to explain the evil even a little bit, it's bound to get silly. The 2018 movie didn't work for me, because as much as the filmmakers said they were going back to the basics of Michael just being a human behind a mask, they had him display the cartoonish superhuman strength he had in some of the sequels by crushing people's heads into pulp with one kick of his foot and made Laurie Strode into an unrelatable, unrealistic weirdo.

I don't think they ever had any idea where this new trilogy was supposed to go and have even admitted as much. In recent interviews, David Gordon Green has said that the time in between shooting Halloween Kills and its delayed release made him change the story of his original take on Halloween Ends and he's still tweaking it and unsure of where it's going. This doesn't bode well. I hope he's at least planned where he's taking that Exorcist trilogy, because I could see that turning into a whole lot of tedium if he hasn't given it much thought.

by Anonymousreply 468October 17, 2021 11:41 PM

H2018 doesn’t seem nearly as bad now (it’s still bad).

KILLS is a Sharknado level movie.

by Anonymousreply 469October 17, 2021 11:48 PM

It was a fun movie. Everyone in the theater I saw it in were having a great time.

by Anonymousreply 470October 17, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote] It was a fun movie. Everyone in the theater I saw it in were having a great time.

Wholesome family fun!

by Anonymousreply 471October 18, 2021 12:07 AM

Halloween II has a lot of soap actors I. It

Pamela Susan Shoop was on Return to Peyton Place

Ford Ranie (Dr. Mixter) played Marlena’s dad, Frank Evans on Days of Our Lives from 1978-1980, Sami Brady’s Grandfather and gay Will’s Great Grandfather

Nancy Stephens was also on DAYS in the 70s as one of the many Mary Anderson’s

Billy Warlock who has a small role as Craig would go on to become Frankie Brady on DAYS and AJ Quartermaine on GH

Ann Marie Martin aka Eddie Benton who has a brief scene in HII was Wendy in Prom Night and would go on to play Gwen Davies Dimera Marshall on DAYS from 82-85

Ana Alicia had just finished a few year stint in the daytime soap Ryan’s Hope when she was cast and would go on as Melissa in the nighttime soap Falcon Crest for the duration of the 80s

Lance Guest had a semi regular role as Steve Brewer on the nighttime soap opera Knots Landing during the 90-91 season

by Anonymousreply 472October 18, 2021 12:08 AM

Let's watch HALLOWEEN KILLS live with Halloweenophile Youtuber Drumdums!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473October 18, 2021 12:12 AM

Looking back on it now, they should've just done 2 movies instead of 3. Although I did enjoy the movie, plotwise it didn't seem to go anywhere. It was just Michael killing everyone he saw without any rhyme or reason which I don't dislike, but I feel it's the reason many others did. All Laurie did was sit in her hospital bed talking about a fight that will take place in the next movie. So instead of making a whole movie just to get the audience excited for the next movie, why not just cut out the middleman and make that movie to begin with? I did like it very much, but I will agree that it was unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 474October 18, 2021 12:14 AM

Halloween 2 should have been Laurie going to therapy and applying to colleges.

by Anonymousreply 475October 18, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote] Halloween 2 should have been Laurie going to therapy and applying to colleges.

I'm sure she ended up at Hudson University.

by Anonymousreply 476October 18, 2021 12:39 AM

One of the things that I'm going to miss with DVDs going the way of the dinosaur is director, producer, and cast commentary in the extras

by Anonymousreply 477October 18, 2021 12:46 AM

R460 💯

by Anonymousreply 478October 18, 2021 12:50 AM

Yes she has long black hair R486, but she wore a (very bad) wig in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 479October 18, 2021 12:51 AM

This just seems like another case of the Star Wars Skywalker sequels in that they are just making it up as they go along.

by Anonymousreply 480October 18, 2021 12:51 AM

Kills and Ends were both written at the same time. They connect.

by Anonymousreply 481October 18, 2021 1:01 AM

I didn’t hate this movie but it was all over the place. It started off strong but quickly lost focus. The slasher movies of today just can’t capture the magic of the slashers from the 70’s and 80’s. Nothing beats the original Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 482October 18, 2021 1:52 AM

Overall, Halloween Kills is the best 3-day US/Canada opening we’ve seen for a horror movie during the pandemic, beating Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II ($47.5M), and it’s the best opening for an R-rated movie during the pandemic, blowing away Warner Bros/HBO Max’s The Suicide Squad ($26.2M).

by Anonymousreply 483October 18, 2021 1:54 AM

I always liked Halloween 4. It’s actually a very well made movie and screenplay/script. I hate how some of you keep putting it in the shit pile. It’s good.

And it was so cheap to make that it’s $17 million at the box office was a big profit.

by Anonymousreply 484October 18, 2021 2:05 AM

That's crazy that the opening beat out A Quiet Place 2 and Suicide Squad. Is there another movie planned?

by Anonymousreply 485October 18, 2021 2:06 AM

Sexy MM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486October 18, 2021 2:34 AM

I hated Anthony Michael Hall's character, and the stupidity of him leading people to hunt down a homicidal maniac that has repeatedly been shown to be basically unkillable. Even worse was Lonnie taking his son and his son's girlfriend to the house where he thought Jason was. At least he acknowledged how stupid it was and made them stay in the car - though of course they weren't going to.

The whole evil dies tonight chant, and the frenetic shots of the crowd chasing the fat little mental patients up the stairs, a doctor shoving Laurie's daughter to the ground, another pushing Laurie - who had just had surgery on a stab wound, made me wish that Michael show up and kill them all for their stupidity.

I didn't love the gore either. The original was fairly bloody, but the shots of the mental patient head broken open like a melon were gratuitous, and not in the spirit of the original.

The original Halloween was small and tense. Laurie was isolated and stalked, and that is what made it terrifying. H2018 maintained some of that, especially toward the end when the focus was on the three women and Michael. The tried to go big, when it has been repeatedly demonstrated that big and Halloween don't work well together.

Slasher films work best with intimacy.

by Anonymousreply 487October 18, 2021 2:48 AM

487 posts and no mention of the visible peen on the gurney? Granted it was like 60 year old peen but peen nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 488October 18, 2021 2:56 AM

I've seen less people in a NYC hospital than at Haddonfield Memorial. Was 90% of the population there? On Halloween night after visiting hours?

by Anonymousreply 489October 18, 2021 2:59 AM

Tommy leading a mob made sense. He is a victim and has trauma. Knowing he escaped and is killing again would naturally make him want to do something. Also, at this point, nobody knows he is “unkillable “ which is not even true. He was captured after being shot by Loomis and got medical attention.

I agree about the mental patient’s splattered head being shown. It was unnecessary and vile.

by Anonymousreply 490October 18, 2021 3:13 AM

The thing I didn’t like about this one was it didn’t feel like a Halloween movie. All in all, while it had its problem, it is enjoyable to watch without my expectations of it being a Halloween movie.

by Anonymousreply 491October 18, 2021 3:16 AM

I can see why Paul Rudd “wasn’t available”.

by Anonymousreply 492October 18, 2021 3:22 AM

Which is Why for many the flashback to 1978 was the best part of the movie. It’s the only part that felt like a Halloween movie

by Anonymousreply 493October 18, 2021 3:29 AM

Heaven’s to Betsy, he’s live!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494October 18, 2021 3:54 AM

I really liked the flashbacks and the retelling of events by Tommy.

I would have liked Lindsey to yell at MM how he killed her babysitter, she was that girl, and she was going to kill him. It is a little thing but it is something I wanted so he knew for sure who she was. He definitely knew Marion when she invoked Loomis. You could see the recognition as he slightly turned his head.

by Anonymousreply 495October 18, 2021 3:55 AM

They haven't been able to find that perfect balance between gratuitous violence and a creepy, suspenseful atmosphere yet. I even thought Halloween (2018) was too violent the first time I saw it in theaters. They obviously can't make it completely bloodless and without violence, but the violence isn't what makes people afraid of what's lurking in the dark long after they're home from the theater. In Halloween Ends, they really need to find a way to give fans "the best of both worlds" so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 496October 18, 2021 3:58 AM

I found H20 to have good balance but not quite enough kills in the middle. The whole LL Cool J shit was stupid. I get the gripes about it but I really enjoy the movie immensely.

by Anonymousreply 497October 18, 2021 4:04 AM

R466 exactly! Great opening film, and a WTF sequel

by Anonymousreply 498October 18, 2021 6:19 AM

I think H20 is a good film but it never feels like a Halloween film to me. I think the school setting is a big reason why. It doesn't feel like Halloween at all.

But I much prefer the characterization of Laure in that film to the Rambo in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 499October 18, 2021 6:40 AM

Why was Karen wearing a Christmas sweater throughout the whole movie? I get it that stores start putting out Christmas crap way too soon, but this film is set on Halloween night!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500October 18, 2021 10:23 AM

All I can say is Big John, Little John

by Anonymousreply 501October 18, 2021 10:40 AM

It rang true gays would buy and renovate the MM house.

by Anonymousreply 502October 18, 2021 11:00 AM

[quote] Why was Karen wearing a Christmas sweater throughout the whole movie? I get it that stores start putting out Christmas crap way too soon, but this film is set on Halloween night!

That was her unimaginative Halloween costume - an ugly sweater party guest even though it wasn't exactly hideous. Like someone who throws on cat ears and acts like they couldn't be bothered to dress up. It's really a cover for the hatred they have of themselves for not having a creative bone in their body.

by Anonymousreply 503October 18, 2021 11:10 AM

Folks watch this series looking for JLC's character to take on MM.

It never happened. THE BIGGEST LETDOWN EVAH!!!

JLC was seen less than 15 minutes of the 1:45 long film & was screeching "Michael" as the mental patients roamed all over the hospital & lying on her back most of the time.

JLC should be slammed for the easiest paycheck of the past 10 years. I hate her eldergay character in this. She peaked in H20.

by Anonymousreply 504October 18, 2021 11:33 AM

H20 felt more like Scream-lite than a Halloween film. Everything was wrong, from Chris Durand's gait as Michael (and that shitty mask), to the score, the cinematography, and even Laurie. The "Keri Tate" version of Laurie felt too far removed from the Laurie in the first two films. I pictured her still having that mousy trait even into middle age, so the version we got in H20 was not my idea of what she would have ended up being like. At least H18 and HK Laurie looks like the character with the blonde hair and still has that loner characteristic.

by Anonymousreply 505October 18, 2021 11:53 AM

A muddled mess of a repugnant movie

by Anonymousreply 506October 18, 2021 12:35 PM

GOOD LORD. I haven't seen the 2018 movie, BUT if this one is better, it has to be utterly abysmal. I can't get over how bad "Halloween Kills" is. I mean...how in the multiverses could anyone think Michael Myers is the same size as Danny DeVito? THAT almost did me in.

BTW, I would STLL do Anthony Michael Hall. CANNOT explain why.

by Anonymousreply 507October 18, 2021 12:40 PM

I liked it, but was disappointed that Jamie Lee Curtis was sidelined for most of it. This is a trilogy though, so I imagine she'll come roaring back in the final installment.

It's a slasher film, I know, but the dialogue in this one is awful in a lot of places, and it kind of hits you over the head with the "who is the real monster" theme here.

Of the two so far, the 2018 movie is so much better. It's paced better, and has much better direction. This one felt amateurish in a number of places.

by Anonymousreply 508October 18, 2021 12:58 PM

I'm not getting the people who are saying it's too violent, citing the first film's lack of real blood and gore. The original was notoriously made with a tiny budget. People would be bored to tears if these new films didn't have epic kills.

by Anonymousreply 509October 18, 2021 12:59 PM

The overwhelming majority of critics liked 2018. The majority dislike this one

by Anonymousreply 510October 18, 2021 1:11 PM

I’m not getting people bitching that JLC was sidelined. I’m thinking she agreed to do it because of this. It’s an easy paycheck. Let everyone else do the heavy lifting.

I don’t think anyone expected to see a Laurie and MM showdown. How moronic. You really want to see a showdown 2018, then again in this one (for the same outcome), only for another in Ends? That’s overkill

by Anonymousreply 511October 18, 2021 1:16 PM

It's kind of obvious the mask is the key to stopping Michael. He didn't have it for all those years he was in the mental hospital, and they were able to contain him. And he just stood there surrounded by the townsfolk with pitchforks until he put it back on and unleashed holy hell onto them.

The power of the Shatner compels him.

by Anonymousreply 512October 18, 2021 1:16 PM

Why would someone watch this one without seeing 2018?

by Anonymousreply 513October 18, 2021 1:17 PM

People do a lot of dumb thing, R513. Read reviews of any book that is part 3 or later of a long series on Amazon, and you will find reviews from idiots stating that they didn't understand what was happening, or who the characters and how awful the book is.

Hint, don't start reading a 10 book series with book four, then write a review on Amazon telling the world what a dumbass you are.

by Anonymousreply 514October 18, 2021 1:22 PM

Yeah, the mask matters

by Anonymousreply 515October 18, 2021 2:12 PM

White masks matter

by Anonymousreply 516October 18, 2021 3:05 PM

Hated the Depeche Mode Enjoy The Silence opening theme. No need for choir voices.

by Anonymousreply 517October 18, 2021 3:06 PM

Huh????

by Anonymousreply 518October 18, 2021 3:19 PM

Chases

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519October 18, 2021 3:47 PM

Quite big tits ^

by Anonymousreply 520October 18, 2021 3:51 PM

R517- Loved the film and HATED the opener too. It needed that driving pulsating beat.

HOWEVER, go listen to the End Credits on Youtube. It has the choir sounds but its an amazing version. Especially the end when Carpenter really bangs on the piano.

by Anonymousreply 521October 18, 2021 10:16 PM

R518- R517 means the opening theme in Halloween Kills- I thought it was lacking too. It has opera sounding voices and is just very weak.

All Michael ever wanted, all Michael needed , was here, here in his house.

by Anonymousreply 522October 18, 2021 10:17 PM

Oh my gosh. That poor mental patient really looks like the Penguin! Best comment on this thread. Bwhahaha 😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 523October 18, 2021 11:41 PM

What made townsfolk think the plump little terrified man was the legendary michael Myers?

by Anonymousreply 524October 18, 2021 11:42 PM

Halloween 2018 established MM is a globally infamous mass murderer whose face is well known

by Anonymousreply 525October 18, 2021 11:46 PM

"It's Michael's sidekick, Mini-Mike! Get him!"

by Anonymousreply 526October 18, 2021 11:55 PM

And MiniMike just happened to be in the backseat of the car of the one chick we've been following all evening.

by Anonymousreply 527October 19, 2021 12:04 AM

The Haddonfield Police Department had some lookers back '78.

by Anonymousreply 528October 19, 2021 12:05 AM

Iron!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529October 19, 2021 1:43 AM

It is a perfectly fine movie if it didn’t have Laurie Strode and the legacy characters. If you bring them, you better elevate the movie. If this was Halloween 4, 5, 6 whatever, it would be one of the best sequels. With the heavy hitters? no

by Anonymousreply 530October 19, 2021 1:47 AM

I can’t believe how many ostensibly grown adults there are in this thread discussing this movie and the previous sequels like they’re worthy of serious discussion. This is bottom of the barrel trash, piggybacking off the legacy of the original classic.

Do you people think the Saw movies are also to be taken seriously? Do you guys collect horror movie memorabilia and figurines?

by Anonymousreply 531October 19, 2021 2:15 AM

Oh, smell you, r531!!!!

Halloween is an iconic franchise that has entertained audiences for over 40 years. Saw never had the same impact.

Let people enjoy the sequels and talking about them. I kind of love the "Choose Your Own Adventure" aspect to them.

You can accept Laurie and Michael as siblings and Laurie triumphing at the end of H20 or you can go the Boogeyman route by jumping from 1978 to 2018.

by Anonymousreply 532October 19, 2021 2:26 AM

[quote] Do you guys collect horror movie memorabilia and figurines?

I do.

by Anonymousreply 533October 19, 2021 2:34 AM

R531 The real question is why does it bother you? This is a *discussion* board.

by Anonymousreply 534October 19, 2021 2:34 AM

Michael Mcdonald is the only actor to be killed by both Michael Myers.

by Anonymousreply 535October 19, 2021 2:37 AM

He deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 536October 19, 2021 2:44 AM

I like discussing horror films with fans. I don’t often agree with them, but love the discussion.

I am just glad we have 3 movies with an alive Laurie Strode. As much as I would have loved to have kept the. H20 timeline (without Resurrection), killing that abortion of a movie OUT of being canon is worth it. LS should never be killed by MM. I felt the same about Alice in F13. Jason should have been always looking for her, then she comes back for a showdown.

by Anonymousreply 537October 19, 2021 3:04 AM

Alice was never a compelling final girl

by Anonymousreply 538October 19, 2021 3:06 AM

R538 How so? No man saved her like Laurie or Ginny. She dispatched Mrs. Voorhees easily. She was at least on her guard when Jason came for her.

by Anonymousreply 539October 19, 2021 3:09 AM

Laurie and Ginny are simply more likable than Alice. I don't find I root for her as I do for Laurie and Ginny.

by Anonymousreply 540October 19, 2021 3:27 AM

R540 OK but IDK why. Actress?

by Anonymousreply 541October 19, 2021 3:29 AM

If you Google “Best Final Girls” tons of sites have lists that pop up, and almost every list excludes Alice.

Sidney, Laurie, Nancy, Ellen Ripley, even Jamie Lloyd make almost every list. Alice is hardly ever listed.

Even on Ranker she’s #29.

by Anonymousreply 542October 19, 2021 3:31 AM

R542 I am well aware she is not one of the top ones. I think it is partly the actress isn’t considered beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 543October 19, 2021 3:32 AM

I think it's the actress. I don't know what it is. She lacks a certain charisma that you need in a final girl. Rachel from Halloween 4 is another final girl I really like. Likable, strong.

They need to be both smart and likable.

by Anonymousreply 544October 19, 2021 3:32 AM

I don’t think it has to do with looks as much as charisma.

Sigourney Weaver has never been considered a beauty but Ellen Ripley is always Top 3 on lists with Laurie Strode and someone else that rotates, usually Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 545October 19, 2021 3:35 AM

I agree. I think Alice and Ginny are both attractive, but there's something about Amy Steel that is more likable and charismatic than Adrienne King.

by Anonymousreply 546October 19, 2021 3:40 AM

[quote] I would have liked Lindsey to yell at MM how he killed her babysitter, she was that girl, and she was going to kill him. It is a little thing but it is something I wanted so he knew for sure who she was. He definitely knew Marion when she invoked Loomis. You could see the recognition as he slightly turned his head

I think that's probably being saved for Halloween Ends. She'll probably rant at MM for killing Annie and now Tommy. We will probably see her try to fight him, but he gets the upper hand and kills her.

by Anonymousreply 547October 19, 2021 3:43 AM

I really like Alice as a final girl. I thought she was strong and smart, but I see the points being made. I am just partial to the first final girls, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 548October 19, 2021 3:47 AM

Didn’t someone else play Alice in the sequel?

by Anonymousreply 549October 19, 2021 3:47 AM

R549 No, same actress. She was supposed to survive but opted out due to a real life stalker.

by Anonymousreply 550October 19, 2021 3:49 AM

I also just think F13 became known as a not as well made ripoff of Halloween. Idk if that’s how people saw it in the 80s but I know that’s the reputation it ended up having more of later.

However, Jason is part of the 80s trinity of main Horror villains with MM and Freddy.

by Anonymousreply 551October 19, 2021 3:52 AM

They plucked Kevin Bacon for F13 and Amy Steel for F13-2 straight from Guiding Light. They even had scenes together on the show.

Also, I would have preferred Alice live to have a showdown with Jason. That is what F13 needed. Alice or Ginny, or Both.

by Anonymousreply 552October 19, 2021 3:53 AM

Yes, maybe if Alice didn’t die in the sequel she would be more beloved.

by Anonymousreply 553October 19, 2021 3:55 AM

I hate when horror series do that - kill off the heroine from a previous film. They did with Friday the 13th Part 2, then A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and 4 and Halloween 5.

by Anonymousreply 554October 19, 2021 3:57 AM

Rachel was never the main girl though. It was Jamie.

by Anonymousreply 555October 19, 2021 3:57 AM

Also, why were Horror trailers from the past so much better than now? They legit were creepy vs now.

The F13 trailer is creepy even now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556October 19, 2021 3:58 AM

Because the films and trailers had atmosphere. The filmmakers still wanted to scare you even if they were trying to cash in on the slasher craze. The early 80s films often had great scores that propelled the suspense.

by Anonymousreply 557October 19, 2021 4:02 AM

R554 Same. Maybe that trend wouldn’t have started if not for Alice being off’d in F13-2. I don’t remember what she said Alice’s story was going to be, but she was going to survive P2.

by Anonymousreply 558October 19, 2021 4:05 AM

Haha Alice may have escaped Jason if not for that cat!

by Anonymousreply 559October 19, 2021 4:08 AM

I just finished it. Random thoughts:

- Jaime Lee Curtis has morphed into Chevy Chase. It needs to be said.

- Michael was bullied as a kid so it makes sense for him to not go after the kid at the beginning. He probably identified with him given the bullying the kid just experienced from the other kids in the neighborhood.

- Why did the nurse go back in for the stethoscope and leave his wife to walk to the car? Why did the wife agree to that? You both JUST heard about Michael Myers being on the loose, you do NOT split up in that situation especially for a costume prop. The doctor in the nurse outfit was an idiot for agreeing to that. Walk with him back into the bar.

- Why didn't Marian or the Dr shoot through the roof of the SUV?

- The giddy patient in the wild mob at the hospital was hilarious.

- Why didn't the firefighters gang up on MM and attack him all at once? Especially after it was clear he was winning each time someone attacked him one-on-one.

- No. Just NO at that ending. That this 70+y/o MFer was impaled with a pitchfork, stabbed in the upper back near the spine, shot twice in the chest, and beaten with blunt objects -- and that isn't counting the damage done at the beginning by the firefighters nor the damage caused by the fire in Laurie's house-- and yet he's spry enough, flexible enough, resilient enough, and prescient enough to not only bounce back, but know Leigh Brackett was walking up to him with a gun and decimate him and the crowd of locals? Come the hell on.

- I say this as an American: It's not plausible to me that in this situation in a small American town, (a) there wouldn't more firearms being used by the mob and (b) there wouldn't be a few good old boy / 3 percenter / proud boy / militia-types with a cache of weapons.

- Why the hell did Karen enter the Johns' home and stand in front of the window? What was the point of that?

- The deaths of Big John, the nurse, the mental patient, and the boyfriend were pretty good.

- I can (begrudgingly) accept that MM is supernatural, but I refuse to accept the possibility that Michael is continuously finding mechanic's uniforms that are not only the perfect size but are incredibly stain, tear, and ware resistant.

- Given how MM is practically an indestructible and prolific serial killer, it doesn't make sense for that town to not be swarmed with LEOs from other counties, the state, and/or the FBI. And don't tell me that's not how things work; MM should have died 20 times over with half the attacks he's suffered in this franchise.

by Anonymousreply 560October 19, 2021 4:27 AM

I agree with r274, it's scarier if he's not supernatural. A sadistic serial killer will always be more terrifying than a goblin because serial killers actually exist.

r399, I hope your life has vastly improved since you escaped that hell hole. The commenters that keep crapping on SJWs and 'wokesters' are trolls that have forgotten where they are or are pampered zoomers that can't appreciate the fact blatant and unapologetic homophobia still exists in this country.

by Anonymousreply 561October 19, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] it doesn't make sense for that town to not be swarmed with LEOs

I'm sure there were some Pisces and some Virgos in there too.

by Anonymousreply 562October 19, 2021 9:28 AM

I think Alice’s silly pageboy haircut is why she’s not considered a favorite final girl.

by Anonymousreply 563October 19, 2021 11:40 AM

R513 and R514

Are you dirty assholes kidding? Do you really think watching the previous two hours of this shit is integral to appreciating THIS film? You can't understand the depth of characters in a film co-written by the greatest screenwriter of our time Danny McBride UNLESS you watch the previous one?

GTFOH

by Anonymousreply 564October 19, 2021 12:23 PM

Fuck you, R563!

by Anonymousreply 565October 19, 2021 12:47 PM

As a longtime fan of Halloween franchise, I found the movie to be perfectly serviceable and enjoyable to watch. Two days after seeing it, I'm still getting that creepy feeling walking through my house in the dark late at night thinking about Michael Myers silently lurking in the shadows. That's what these movies are supposed to do. I didn't think it was a perfect masterpiece of a film, and yes some of the plot points were silly and defied logic... but it was a fun little rollercoaster and I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 566October 19, 2021 1:24 PM

Supposedly Kyle Richards has a bigger role in Halloween Ends

by Anonymousreply 567October 19, 2021 1:35 PM

Didn't see the last one. I wanted to watch a double feature but the last is only available on FXM. I don't want to pay to rent it or watch it cut up with commercials. I pay for all the streaming channels and none have a recent movie like this with the new one opening. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 568October 19, 2021 1:45 PM

It's about as silly as many of the other sequels in the franchise. I think what's pissing people off most about this one is after everything Green and McBride promised about how this would be a more grounded series like the original film, they went off and made a gory, goofy sequel with next to no plot. At least Michael looks good for the first time since the first movie. They really have nailed his look and mannerisms in these last two movies. I didn't find the previous film as deep and profound as critics did, so I wasn't surprised they went full-on mid 90's straight to video sequel on us here.

by Anonymousreply 569October 19, 2021 3:17 PM

This one may be dumb but it’s far more fun and enjoyable than 2018. It also has better rewatch value

by Anonymousreply 570October 19, 2021 3:18 PM

R566 and R570 kind of nailed this film. Its a fun watch. It's not Shakespeare.

R566- I downloaded the soundtrack and went on my nighttime jog under the full moon last night.

Holy SHIT I was scared to death!

by Anonymousreply 571October 19, 2021 7:20 PM

Are they going to CGI in more flashbacks of Loomis and even Laurie? Maybe Loomis and Laurie interacting?

by Anonymousreply 572October 19, 2021 10:46 PM

Where can I get a William Shatner mask?

by Anonymousreply 573October 19, 2021 11:26 PM

Hey I should play Lindsey's badass older sister in the next movie and I can kick Mike Myers in the balls!

by Anonymousreply 574October 19, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote] I found the movie to be perfectly serviceable

You got on your knees right there in the theater?

by Anonymousreply 575October 20, 2021 12:29 AM

Loomis wasn’t CGI

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576October 20, 2021 2:47 AM

R576 That’s right. I want more and maybe they can deep fake young Laurie with him.

by Anonymousreply 577October 20, 2021 3:03 AM

We know R576. There are multiple posts about it up thread.

by Anonymousreply 578October 20, 2021 3:46 AM

Rachel Maddown should play Laurie in her 40s in flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 579October 20, 2021 3:54 AM

The critical Acclaim of Halloween 2018 and record box office makes it very difficult for this movie to meet expectations

by Anonymousreply 580October 20, 2021 4:50 PM

Original ending will be on the DVD release. Too bad they didn't do that with 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581October 21, 2021 11:04 AM

Embarrassment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582October 21, 2021 12:31 PM

Hollywood is dead.

by Anonymousreply 583October 21, 2021 12:39 PM

Terrible in every way imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 584October 22, 2021 1:44 AM

They literally have Marion Chambers come back to shoot a new film and they fucking KILL HER OFF IN 3 MINUTES IN A CAR???????

WTF???????????

David Gordon is such a fucking piece of shit. Fuck him.

Blumhouse better green light a fucking H20 timeline trilogy with JLC, Lindsey, Marion Chambers, Josh Hartnett, and Michelle Williams. People will fucking watch that.

by Anonymousreply 585October 22, 2021 3:37 AM

She died in the opening scene in H20. It’s not that serious. M

You keep bringing her up r585. She had one fucking scene in the original.

by Anonymousreply 586October 22, 2021 3:40 AM

She was also in the sequel.

Poor Marion, nobody remembers which films she's in.

by Anonymousreply 587October 22, 2021 3:42 AM

She brought turtleneck realness in Halloween 2.

by Anonymousreply 588October 22, 2021 3:48 AM

R585 If they do all this work to erase the previous sequels only to say "Actually, THAT trilogy doesn't count either. Let's start all over again" again, I'm going to be so mad.

by Anonymousreply 589October 22, 2021 4:27 AM

I’m always surprised how much I like Halloween II more and more every year

It’s pretty much the perfect sequel in every way and Michael looks so sinister, stalking the empty hospital

I just love it

#justiceforhalloweenii

by Anonymousreply 590October 22, 2021 5:07 AM

R585 Agree. I think it is more she is such a link to Loomis AND MM when he was under Loomis’ care. There’s a lot they could have done with her. I didn’t like they killed her off in the opening of H20 BUT is was such a great scene. And it served a purpose as MM found out Laurie was still alive and where she was living thanks to files from Marion’s house.

by Anonymousreply 591October 22, 2021 10:56 AM

I do agree they shouldn’t have killed Marion off so fast because they could have used her in another way. I don’t even know why they would bring her to try and find MM, unless Lindsey was driving her and that couple who just lost their car home

by Anonymousreply 592October 22, 2021 1:25 PM

Could we have gotten one shred of indication as to what they were up to these days? Did Marion quit smoking? Did Lindsey become a vet after Lester's death? Did Tommy become a comic book designer? ANYTHING?

by Anonymousreply 593October 22, 2021 5:06 PM

Marion should have survived and become the third member of Laurie and Mr. Cop's "Pontificating on Michael Myers Group" at the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 594October 22, 2021 5:28 PM

Marion dying is fine. I just don’t like that it happened so fast.

by Anonymousreply 595October 22, 2021 5:40 PM

They should've had a Mrs. Alves tending to the two lovebirds in their hospital beds. And Karen should've brought Laurie a coke.

by Anonymousreply 596October 22, 2021 5:42 PM

A pointless, putrid chaotic movie

by Anonymousreply 597October 22, 2021 5:45 PM

Halloween II suffers from keeping Laurie out cold for a majority of the movie. It's realistic after all she'd been through, but it leaves the heavy lifting of the plot to Dr. Loomis who goes around doing the same thing he did in the last movie - trying to warn the law about how dangerous Michael is. It's repetitive in many ways and the brother/sister twist is thrown in just to give it a reason for existing. It's silly and sent the rest of the series down an even sillier road.

In spite of all that, it has some really effective and scary moments and some good suspense and mood. It always felt the most nightmarish of the whole franchise to me. The idea that you're stuck in this hospital, doped up on pain meds, unable to fight back and unaware that the attacker you just escaped from is already in the building and coming for you is really scary.

by Anonymousreply 598October 22, 2021 9:15 PM

They could have used Marion more. She spent a lot of time with MM as a kid, teen, and adult. With Loomis gone, I would have loved to hear what she had to say. I would have liked a way more cat and mouse with her like in H20. She got in some good licks on him before he killed her. I just realized that is what this was missing- the cat and mouse play. Did anybody really have a decently long run in with MM?

by Anonymousreply 599October 22, 2021 10:13 PM

Marion deserved to die. She was a fucking idiot shooting the windows.

by Anonymousreply 600October 23, 2021 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!