Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

There are nearly 50 harmful effects linked to social media use

ULTIMO, Australia — Social media has helped to connect the world in a way previous generations could never dream of. Unfortunately, there’s a dark side to that global online community. From social media trolling to cyber bullying to threats against our right to privacy, a new study finds using social media comes with many risks to your health and well-being.

Researchers with the University of Technology Sydney have discovered 46 specific harmful effects of using social networks. These include physical detriments, mental health problems, impacts on work or school productivity, and security or privacy issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 5:20 PM

Now a warning?

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 8:44 PM

That crap will mess you up for live with permanent damage. They will look back on it like lead paint.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 8:45 PM

With all these whistleblowers, why no class action against the millions of injured parties?

The latest revelations being there immunity into question. If people move quickly, they have a time stamp that begins from these revelations to sue them. The fact that they were rigging the algorithms should mean that they gave away their immunity and crossed into a new territory.

In other words, their immunity is very limited to being a “town square” and not rigging the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 8:48 PM

No kidding, ever since I quit Twitter I'm calmer, more patient and generally just happier. I had no idea what social media was doing until I walked away from it. Thankfully I never got into Facebook or Instagram

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 8:48 PM

If Mark is lying to Congress and misleading it’s users than they are not immune from the penalties of those actions.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 8:49 PM

Quitting FB several years ago was one of the best life decisions I've made.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 8:51 PM

Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 10:00 PM

Awful

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2021 5:00 PM

The worst

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2021 5:04 PM
by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 5:11 PM

Six degrees of social media harm

Study authors broke the dozens of social media dangers down into six specific fields.

Cost of social exchange: This includes both psychological harms, such as depression, anxiety, or jealousy, and other costs to users like wasting time, energy, and even money.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2021 5:18 PM

Annoying content: These harms appear when users view content that annoys, upsets, or irritates them. This typically includes disturbing, violent, sexual, or obscene content.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2021 5:18 PM

Privacy concerns: These are threats to personal privacy related to storing, repurposing, or sharing personal information with third parties.

Security threats: These are harms from fraud or deception which can emerge from phishing or social engineering scams.

Cyberbullying: This includes any abuse or harassment by groups or individuals who send abusive messages, lie about others, stalk individuals, or spread rumors.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2021 5:19 PM

Low performance: This refers to the negative impact social media use can have on job or academic performance.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 5:19 PM

“Mike Bloomberg Jack Weingarten Burke Whitman Wyatt Crowell Stuart Bell and more...all have to pay the ultimate price for The Jennifer Show. They used me with a TBI as nude hostage clickbait and invited rivals and my VERY abusive former husband to harass me to the point of endless despair and madness. Twenty year of endless Jew hate crime and exploitation anchored by extreme abuse and initiated entirely by Whitman's embezzlement ambition. Sarah Hoit must pay also. NO MORE. The end. Of their genes.”

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 5:20 PM

People like this need to lawyer up ^

The immunity is on shaken ground.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!