Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cities where TV shows are set

How do writers and show runners decide the best city in which to place a TV sitcom or drama? I mean, obviously "Dallas" had to do with oil drama, so that was a no-brainer, but others...why site "Alice" in Phoenix, or "Dynasty" in Denver, or "Mary Tyler Moore" in Minneapolis?

Is is because of some production calculus having to do with attracting certain advertisers?

Is this something that writers sit down and decide when writing a treatment?

by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2021 3:42 AM

Some writers use their personal emotional connections to cities where they grew up, making the show more relatable to locals or those who know the town or city.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 6:44 PM

"Alice" was set in Phoenix because it was based on the film, which was set there.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 7:22 PM

Are the any modern series that are not set in NY or LA? I remember in the 70s and 80s, programs were set in Phoenix (Alice), Indianapolis (One Day at a Time), Columbus (Family Ties); then in the 90s, it seemed like everything was set in NYC: Seinfeld, Friends, Will & Grace, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 7:29 PM

I've been watching FBI: International. The agents work out of Budapest, where the show is filmed, and travel around Europe. The last episode took place in Madrid. I'm not sure if they shot there or in Budapest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 7:43 PM

It was more common in the past to set shows in fake cities like Hilldale (Donna Reed), Mayfield (Beaver), Mayberry (Andy), etc. Obviously "The Simpsons" played with this trope by using Springfield (also the home of "Father Knows Best"), and never revealing which state it is in.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 9:25 PM

WKRP was in Cincinatti.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote] "It was more common in the past to set shows in fake cities like Hilldale (Donna Reed), Mayfield (Beaver), Mayberry (Andy), etc. Obviously "The Simpsons" played with this trope by using Springfield (also the home of "Father Knows Best"), and never revealing which state it is in."

Lanford, Illinois ("Roseanne"), Cabot Cove, Maine ("Murder, She Wrote"), and Point Place, Wisconsin ("That 70s Show") are three that aren't mentioned in the link. But here's twenty-five fictional towns to start with.

And as far as shows set in actual smaller cities, there are entire lists available online (of course).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 10:06 PM

Mama's Family was set in "Raytown." The Simpsons is set in "Springfield." The writers probably wanted to make the towns semi-ambiguous in location so that a wide variety of people could feel like things were happening in or near their towns.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 10:30 PM

I always chuckled at Fringe, set in Boston but filmed in Canada, with no attempt at verisimilitude.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 10:34 PM

Try Google, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 10:37 PM

How did Peyton Place not make the list at r7?

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 10:42 PM

Ooh! Good question, R11. And it should've been high on the list too.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 10:43 PM

Golden Girls - Miami

Frasier - Seattle

According To Jim - Chicago

Breaking Bad - Albuquerque

Little House On The Prairie - Walnut Grove (with mountains)

Hot In Cleveland - Cleveland

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2021 12:42 AM

M. Night Shyamalan‘s AppleTV+ show, Servant is set in Philadelphia and is filmed in two Philadelphia neighborhoods.

Filming displaces resident street parking & can be quite disruptive.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 12:52 AM

"Mary Tyler Moore" was set in Minneapolis because the co-creators didn't want the show set in New York or LA but in another smaller American city. One of the writers was a huge fan of the Vikings (then a powerhouse team) and suggested Minneapolis.

That was considered a very smart move in TV--they wanted to have sitcoms be more real and more recognizable, because too many were either set in fictional towns (like Mayfield) or the NY or LA areas, which seem to many Americans who don't live there unrelatable pleases.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote]Mama's Family was set in "Raytown."

All of the surrounding towns were named after famous murderers -- Bundy, Gilmore, Hinckley, Oswald Caverns.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 1:02 AM

Well, Mary Tyler Moore was about local journalism, and Minneapolis at that time was known to have excellent local news (it doesn't anymore, like the rest of the country), and there was a certain amount of national interest in Minnesota at that time. There was a Time magazine cover with the Minn governor under the headline "The Minnesota Miracle." And they were going to get a lot of joke mileage from the cold winters.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 1:05 AM

There are currently several shows set here in Oahu, including Magnum PI and NCIS: Hawaii. The funny thing is that if you watch them, you would think the whole island is beaches, resorts, open fields, and shipping yards. They very rarely show the congested, reality of Honolulu, the poverty of West Oahu, or the rain that we get quite often. My favorite is when they travel from East Oahu (think Hawaii Kai) to West Oahu (Kapolei) - usually during a car chase - in 5 minutes with almost no traffic. The H1 that runs across the southern part of the island is a 5 lane parking lot most of the time, and that trip is 1 1/2 hours. And local roads can be even worse.

I guess that's the cost of living in paradise.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 1:16 AM

Sorry to bring up a soap opera, but The Young and the Restless was set in "Genoa City," which was supposed to be a midwestern town. I kind of miss TV shows that weren't set in NYC or LA.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 1:17 AM

Chicago seems to attract medical shows ER, Chicago Hope and shows focused on emergency services Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote]WKRP was in Cincinatti.

Actually it was in CINCINNATI.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote]How did Peyton Place not make the list at [R7]?

You can't mention Peyton Place without mentioning Harper Valley, you hypocrite!

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2021 1:25 AM

“Who’s The Boss” was set in Fairfield, CT (which is not a city).

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2021 2:20 AM

I always felt that Angie was riding out on coattails of goodwill Philadelphia gained during the Bicentennial.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2021 2:36 AM

Where was Growing Pains set supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2021 3:30 AM

The Manchester to Pittsburgh shift of QAF made a lot of sense, what was Shameless’ original locale and was Chicago the best fit? I got the sense that it was partially about them being Irish, so Boston or Chicago made sense, but was there another location that would hav been more well suited? Especially with the grifting aspect, it might have been interesting to set the show in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2021 3:36 AM

Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley were in Milwaukee but Mork was in Boulder?

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 3:53 AM

The US office was set in Scranton, PA whereas the UK version was in Slough (just west of London). I don’t know why they picked Scranton other than it sounds just as dull and dreary as a place called Slough.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2021 4:24 AM

One thing that confuses me, I have this clear memory of Three’s Company being set in San Diego, like don’t they go to the zoo there in the opening shots, but then when I looked it up once it said Santa Monica???

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2021 4:33 AM

Three's Company was not set in San Diego. I think it was Santa Monica.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2021 4:40 AM

R19...not just Midwestern, but Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 4:45 AM

Desperate Housewives was supposed to be set in Illinois, though it was never explicitly stated.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2021 4:47 AM

MTM was set in Minneapolis because it's cold and they thought she'd keep better.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] There was a Time magazine cover with the Minn governor under the headline "The Minnesota Miracle."

Not quite.

And that cover came out in 1973--four years after The MTRM Show premiered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 5:00 AM

[quote] In a 1974 interview with Time Magazine, James Brooks, one of the show's creators, shared the reason they chose the Twin Cities: It has to do with football.

[quote] "We chose Minnesota when one of the writers began talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the Vikings," Brooks said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 5:03 AM

Full House and Fuller House were set in San Francisco, for no discernible reason other than to feature the Golden Gate Bridge in the credits.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 5:05 AM

Only in Indianapolis could a housewife with no college education WOP on her feet (when somewhere there was music playing) in order to become a full-fledged advertising executive!

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 5:15 AM

What brought Rhoda, the Bronx Jew to Minneapolis of all places, the department store windows there couldn’t have been a big draw?

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 5:19 AM

Fun Trivia....The Dynasty spinoff---The Colbys---was originally set in Miami...Initially the Colbys were going to be a family of Hoteliers..The Carringtons and Colbys were originally named the Parkhursts and Corbys in the pilot draft of Dynasty (when it was called Oil)........And one more = CBS and Lorimar considered (another) Dallas spinoff with Pam and Bobby to be located in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 5:19 AM

[quote] What brought Rhoda, the Bronx Jew to Minneapolis of all places, the department store windows there couldn’t have been a big draw?

As stated above, she thought it would be colder and she'd "keep" better. In reality ... why would she move from NYC to Minneapolis? I'm guessing she thought the pickings for men would be better? More corn-fed types ready to get married.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2021 5:23 AM

[quote]All of the surrounding towns were named after famous murderers -- Bundy, Gilmore, Hinckley, Oswald Caverns.

Someone clearly has not been on the old homes of Bump tour on the Dixie Belle.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2021 5:23 AM

Isn’t Dawson Creek supposed to take place in New England, but filmed in North Carolina? Why didn’t they just set it there?

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2021 5:26 AM

As I recall, when Fraiser was premiering, producers considered setting it in Denver, but opted not to because Colorado had just passed its anti-gay Amendment 2. There was a widespread boycott of many businesses connected to Colorado and the show didn't want to be tainted by the Colorado association.

So, the settled on Seattle instead.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2021 5:54 AM

[quote]What brought Rhoda, the Bronx Jew to Minneapolis of all places, the department store windows there couldn’t have been a big draw?

She thought she'd keep better in the cold.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2021 5:58 AM

[quote] What brought Rhoda, the Bronx Jew to Minneapolis of all places, the department store windows there couldn’t have been a big draw?

You have to accept the only think they ever told us, which is Rhoda figured she'd keep better (as people said above).

I would guess, though, if there really were a fleshed-out backstory for the character, it would likely have been to get far away for a while from her overbearing mother in NYC.

In 1969, there would have been tons of department stores in the Twin Cities for Rhoda to work for. She ended up at the (fictional) Hempl's, but she could have also dressed windows at Dayton's, The Golden Rule (later known as Donaldson's), Van Arsdale's, Young-Quinlan, Powers, the Emporium, Field-Schlick...

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2021 5:58 AM

[quote]Isn’t Dawson Creek supposed to take place in New England, but filmed in North Carolina? Why didn’t they just set it there?

Show filmed in Wilmington, NC, which is a large coastal town. Would have been so much simpler to set Dawson's Creek in North Carolina since the NC beach and coastline were such a prominent part of the series. The NC coast bears little resemblance to the New England coast.

After Dawson's Creek ended, One Tree Hill filmed in the same studio and used some of the same locations that Dawson's used. One Tree Hill was set in the fictitious small town of Tree Hill, NC.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2021 6:00 AM

[quote]Where was Growing Pains set supposed to be?

Long Island, NY. Massapequa?

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2021 6:00 AM

The fictional Everwood, Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2021 6:07 AM

Forgot about Rhoda's overbearing mother, Ida. That would have been one big reason to leave NY.

Colorado is sounding worse and worse to me. I'm glad Frasier was not set in Colorado. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2021 6:08 AM

Facts of Life, Peekskill, NY

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2021 6:10 AM

"The Tony Randall Show" -- Philadelphia

"Hello Larry" -- Portland

"Double Trouble" -- Des Moines

"Benson" -- Montpelier, VT

"My So-Called Life" -- Pittsburgh

"A Year in the life" -- Seattle

"Eight is Enough" -- Sacramento

"Family" -- Pasadena

"Mork & Mindy" -- Boulder, CO

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2021 6:10 AM

For Brothers and Sisters, aka The Sally Field Programme, the Walker family home was initially said to be in Pasadena, CA. However, in later seasons, they made reference to the Walker family house being in San Marino, which is a wealthy town adjacent to Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2021 6:18 AM

[quote]"Alice" was set in Phoenix because it was based on the film, which was set there.

In the movie it was set in Tucson.

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2021 6:55 AM

I can't recall Family Ties ever saying they were in Columbus, though in one episode (where they run a hotel out of the house) Alex says "Dayton." Plenty of references of the Cleveland Indians though. Also the spin off of Nick was set in Dayton too.

Seems to me it was a generic suburb of some Ohio city.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2021 6:57 AM

It doesn't really matter because almost all the shows treat the city as LA or NYC anyway regardless of where it is set.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2021 6:58 AM

R29. The opening of Three’s Company was filmed at the Los Angeles Zoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2021 7:23 AM

"Reba" was set in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2021 2:59 PM

Need I remind us of that horible series Providence. Nice aerial shot of the East SIde of the city sure. Would have been better had the actually shot it there. Oh and Underdog was filmed at the RI State House where I worked at the time. And in certain movies there are shots of Webosset St. in downtown Providence.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2021 3:07 PM

This is interesting about the new season and setting for You that just dropped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2021 3:19 PM

The family in growing pains were about the least Lawn Guyland family ever. Everybody Loves Raymond on the other hand seemed pretty authentic. I think that was set in Lynbrook.

by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2021 4:02 PM

The early good years of "The Lucy Show" were in Danfield, NY, a fictional suburb similar to and near New Rochelle.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2021 4:22 PM

Bob Newhart moved from NYC to Vermont and opened up an inn. Totally not plausible & I never watched the Vermont show.

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2021 4:59 PM

Lots of shows have the name of their locations in the title. So which came first -- the title or the locale?

The Streets of San Francisco

L.A. Law

Chicago Hope (and all the newer Dick Wolf Chicago shows)

Miami Vice

NYPD Blue

Boston Common

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Dallas

Bakersfield, P.D.

Santa Barbara

Pasadena

Pensacola Gold

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2021 5:53 PM

[quote]Bob Newhart moved from NYC to Vermont and opened up an inn. Totally not plausible

Yes it was. Bob was a writer and said, he wrote from home in NYC. He could easily transfer that. In the first episode the character of Dick Louden says, when JoAnna questions the decision, that he makes so much money from writing self-help books the inn never has to make money.

The inn was located less than 30 minutes from Dartmouth College so it was like a 2 1/2 hour drive to Boston or a quick flight to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2021 6:22 PM

New Orleans never got a sitcom — probably because it would be too racially and socially controversial.

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2021 6:24 PM

New Orleans is probably too controversial for a sitcom, racially and socially. The overwhelming Saints fetish the NOLA fraud have would be enough to cancel the show and the football team.

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2021 6:26 PM

r65 r66 Oh, really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2021 6:41 PM

Pardon my double post, I accidentally ignored myself! Talk about self moderating. Never heard of this show, R67. Probably the actual NOLA locals hated this show, would have to watch an episode to see.

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2021 6:52 PM

The football thing isn't the whole story about why MTM was set in Minneapolis.

They wanted a city where people would be stuck indoors with each other because of the weather. They also considered Seattle because of the rain.

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2021 6:57 PM

Homicide and The Wire, both set in Baltimore because of the source material.

ER being set in Chicago gave the show so much culture or something that just wouldn’t have had if set in NY. They did a great job making the city part of the show.

Most shows set in DC make barely any effort to look realistic. The West Wing was pretty good, Criminal Minds is awful.

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2021 6:58 PM

"I Dream of Jeannie" was in Coco Beach, Florida -- named after the "Golden Girls" man servant.

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote] Most shows set in DC make barely any effort to look realistic. The West Wing was pretty good, Criminal Minds is awful.

Now that you say that, "Criminal Minds" has no DC flavor whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2021 8:28 PM

[quote] Bob [Newhart] was a writer and said, he wrote from home in NYC. He could easily transfer that. In the first episode the character of Dick Louden says, when JoAnna questions the decision, that he makes so much money from writing self-help books the inn never has to make money. The inn was located less than 30 minutes from Dartmouth College so it was like a 2 1/2 hour drive to Boston or a quick flight to NYC.

Just seemed unrealistic, for Bob's personality, to run a bed and breakfast, especially if he didn't need the income. Why wasn't Suzanne Pleshette a part of the Vermont Inn iteration of Bob Newhart show?

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2021 8:30 PM

R73 Your joke continues to fall flat and the first show was in Chicago, anyway, not New York. People aren't wasting time taking the bait because it wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 3:46 AM

When I moved to Pittsburgh I ended up in the Hill Street Blues neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2021 3:50 AM

[quote] Obviously "The Simpsons" played with this trope by using Springfield (also the home of "Father Knows Best"), and never revealing which state it is in.

Hmm, don't forget Springfield, USA, the third and final locale of The Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2021 4:13 AM

r63, you forgot Hill Street Blues

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2021 5:07 AM

r75, thought that was Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2021 5:08 AM

r77 What city's name is in "Hill Street Blues?"

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2021 5:41 AM

For those who don’t know about the Hill District, besides Hill Street Blues, it is all the setting of August Wilson’s plays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2021 6:21 AM

There's also a Hill Street in Downtown LA. One of the courthouses is located on Hill Street. The old LAPD headquarters were located in the area.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2021 6:30 AM

Since OP did not specify the TV shows had to be sitcoms: "Treme" also took place in New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2021 7:00 AM

"Hill Street Blues" specifically never mentioned which city it was set in. The creator, Steven Bochco, wanted it never to be specified.

[quote] Although filmed in Los Angeles (both on location and at CBS Studio Center in Studio City), the series is set in a generic unnamed inner-city location with a feel of a U.S. urban center in the Midwest or Northeast. Bochco reportedly intended this fictional city to be a hybrid of Chicago, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2021 7:02 AM

The setting for "Hill Street Blues" was never explicitly stated and deliberately kept vague. Many exterior scenes, though, were shot in Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2021 6:22 PM

"Stranger Things" films in Georgia, is supposed to take place in Indiana, but contains references to North Carolina where the Duffer Brothers grew up.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2021 6:31 PM

Big Love - Sandy, Utah. For obvious reasons. Is there another tv show set in Utah?

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2021 6:48 PM

Northern Exposure - Cicely, Alaska (Shot in Roslyn, WA)

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2021 7:35 PM

Some of you don't understand the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2021 9:28 PM

"Dynasty" was set in Denver because they wanted to set a show about an oil-rich billionaire's family but not have it set in a Texas city because that would be too much like "Dallas"--so they chose Denver since there was one oil billionaire living there at the time (Marvin Davis). They could have done an Oklahoma city, but I guess that was too unglamorous compared to Denver.

They should have chosen LA since there are also oil-rich families from there (like the Dohenys), and it would have made much more sense to have a cosmopolitan glamorous family living there rather than in Denver. But in a weird way Denver eventually worked because it was so clear that the show was taking place in a Denver in some alternate dimension, where you could have a high-end resort just outside the city (and nowhere near the mountains) where people would just play tennis and listen to a glamorous internationally-famous chanteuse perform in the lounge.

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2021 9:42 PM

Welcome to Datalounge, r88.

by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2021 10:00 PM

Two shows set in Buffalo that I can remember. Jesse, which was one of the many Christina Applegate comeback vehicles.

But more importantly, Buffalo Bill starring Dabney Coleman, which was horrible, but had one of my favorite sequences on Tv. The character was a sexist pig of a boss, which is not a stretch from his 9-5 character. Watch the video. Love it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2021 10:20 PM

Wikipedia has a list of TV shows by cities in which they are set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2021 3:30 AM

Back in the 70s and 80s American cities were known for having "impressive skylines" because much of the world was filled with cities that did not build skyscrapers. Many of these shows would include lots of shots of the "urban" and "skyline" image of American cities.

Now China has dozens of cities with space age skylines out of Metropolis and Blade Runner, 100s of times bigger than Minneapolis and Cincinnati and Dallas.

Time marches on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 19, 2021 3:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!