Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prince William slams the billionaires' space race and says they should focus on fixing Earth's problems first

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2021 7:12 AM

Dear William,

SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU FUCKING CUNT!!!!!

Love, Meghan

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 5:33 PM

This twat fancies himself the KING already, doesn't he?

Mister THIRD in line.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 5:35 PM

William is right, R1, totally right. The whole thing is a disgraceful waste and spectacle, and has made me determined to never buy anything from Amazon ever again, or to never buy a Tesla if I could afford one!

I hope this stings, I hope that Bezos and Musk feel the pain of being snubbed by a fellow billionaire with more social cache than themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 5:37 PM

We can do both. I'm so tired of this either/or mentality.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 5:39 PM

We still went to the moon during one of the most turbulent economic and political periods in recent US history.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 5:39 PM

Weigh in when your country has a space program ready to send folks into space, William.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 5:41 PM

Can we r4...cause I don't see any headway being made into climate change. Imagine if the money used to launch billionaires into space was used to educate the great unwashed on climate change. Or... If Bezos used that money to convert the Amazon delivery fleet to climate friendly vehicles. Or...

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 5:43 PM

The rockets all look like dicks.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 5:45 PM

William's not wrong.

For example, taking that gasbag Shatner into space is hardly indicative of serious scientific purpose. Shows no sense of exploration or experiments to help our climate problems.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 5:47 PM

Would it have killed you to create a poll, OP?

…in his sleep, you say?

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 5:54 PM

R9 But makes for filling a pop cultural history gap.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 5:55 PM

He's right. And he's second in line, not third. The "line" starts with Charles.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 5:58 PM

I don’t see him planning on rewilding Balmoral and reintroducing wolves to Scotland.

Hell, he only flies commercial when he can stick it to his brother.

Fuck off you bald cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 5:59 PM

I disagree. This planet is getting too overpopulated. At some point, some people are going to have to migrate to other planets. That's just the nature of things.

If Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk want to be the space exploration Christopher Columbus, let them be. If people bitched about Christopher Columbus sailing across the Atlantic instead of helping poor people in Spain, Western culture would not have progressed to what we have today.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 6:15 PM

Instead of the rocket ship shit they should be paying their employees a proper living wage with benefits from the break. And, Amazon alone really needs a backup plan for their warehouse employees when their warehouses become automated. Those two things are really important. Ecology in and of itself is obviously really important as well for God's sake, but still!

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 6:19 PM

People (and I use that term lightly because I mean conservatives) would bitch and moan if Bezos and Musk were spending billions on climate change reduction and education. “Don’t lecture me!” It would lead to boycotts and (more) conspiracy campaigns against them. Because the right doesn’t believe in climate change and the right refuses to openly support or patronize anyone or any entity that supports reduction of climate change. Plus, Musk is a libertarian shit-stirrer and he barely conceals his love for the right with regard to business practices.

But more than all that, billionaires don’t become billionaires through acts of charity and betterment of human kind.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote]But more than all that, billionaires don’t become billionaires through acts of charity and betterment of human kind.

It's called philanthropy.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 6:21 PM

Peasant!! Bow down before my vast wealth, dog!

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 6:22 PM

[quote]We still went to the moon during one of the most turbulent economic and political periods in recent US history.

That wasn't a joyride for the privileged though.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 6:24 PM

I really hate when people like Elon Musk comes to America and create problems in a country that he wasn't born in. Why the fuck do people like him think they can come here and try to change our political climate? He should feel lucky he was even allowed into this country.

I hate when arrogant foreigners move here. They need to remember, it was America that allowed them to become insanely wealthy and humble themselves.

And prince William has no room to talk about anyone. The poor UK taxpayers have to pay for him and his family. Which I think is beyond ridiculous in 2021. In the 21st century period! France has more tourist than the UK and they no longer have a royal family. The British monarchy needs to be abolished already.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 6:34 PM

R17 Only if they can get a tax deduction or find some other way to pay no or minimal taxes.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 6:34 PM

The Shatner thing was a publicity stunt. Sure, the money could've been used better for a humanitarian or eco-friendly cause, but then the rich and their money ...

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 6:34 PM

At least Bezos' ex-wife seems to be a really nice lady, already giving away billions.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 6:34 PM

I hope Jeff Bezos had to endure a live concert of William Shatner before, during, or after the space flight.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 6:36 PM

R20, you are about an inch away from voting Trump, on the off chance you don't know it.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 6:40 PM

I agree with Wills but it also reminds me of the Man Men episode when Don gets after Sally for being a small-minded nitpicker criticizing the space race. Both great things and terrible things can be unleashed by rich egomaniacs trying to achieve something. I try to be optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 6:42 PM

R21, only for the Bezos and Musks of the world. Gates, Buffet etc and all the others who have taken the pledge aren't in it for the tax breaks.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2021 6:44 PM

Meanwhile, Wills and Kate are saving the world one Tesco supermarket opening ceremony at a time.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 6:45 PM

He'll be donating the entirety of the royal wealth fund to solving the worlds' problems, the instant he is King!

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2021 6:46 PM

That's rich! (1) Society can do both. (2) His family is sitting on a FORTUNE and William is in line to head his family and nation within the next 20 years. What exactly is HE doing to solve the world's problems?

r20 same. Then when they act like assholes, their behavior is used to paint all American negatively.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 6:46 PM

Earthshot is hardly a Tesco, r28. Imagine what would happen if Bezos put more money into something like an Earthshot vs. sending Capt. Kirk into space.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2021 6:48 PM

The thing that people decrying the commercial space industry seem to forget is that it is a for-profit industry. They aren't spending their own money to start or fund these companies. So yes, they should definitely focus on philanthropic endeavors, but supporting a commercial industry isn't them spending their money to go into space vs. saving the planet. The framing is invalid.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 6:50 PM

R27 True, but Gates wasn't known for having a real pussycat management style while being hands-on manager at Microsoft, especially before he met Melinda. Warren's pretty cool though, and he's not ostentatious in how he lives (at least not publicly).

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 6:50 PM

While I stand by my statement on the bizarre priorities these journeys into space reflect, there are two cases in which it is clear that such a foolhardy venture, misguided though it is, might just inure to the benefit of all.

Jean-Christophe, how long would one of those take to fly to Pluto? …. Goodness, better make it a bit further then… Oh, and Jean-Christophe? The smallest thing you can find.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2021 6:54 PM

R33 his management style has nothing to do with his philanthropy.

Space is another cash grab for Bezos, Musk and Branson.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2021 6:54 PM

Is Prince William afraid of a spacecraft capsule falling from the sky and killing him while he sleeps? It would be foolhardy not to consider it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2021 6:55 PM

r35 it's a cash grab because these are all COMMERCIAL VENTURES. They are supposed to make money. The billionaires who started the companies peacocking about going into space is the new "my superyacht is longer than yours" Larry Ellison Silicon Boys trend.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2021 6:56 PM

Which brings us full circle, r37... Prince William is absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2021 7:02 PM

Is Bezos still with that trashy piece of ass who broke up his marriage?

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2021 7:04 PM

r38 not quite. It's basically the current trendy billionaire hobby. He's essentially bemoaning what these guys do in their free time.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2021 7:06 PM

Dearest William,

We are so very tired of your brother lecturing us on issues, especially since both of you come from an over privileged background.

Why don’t YOU do something and sit your ass down in Kensington Palace and stay there? No trips to Grand’s ten castles. No trips to France. No hauling your brood around in gas guzzling cars.

You, as a wealthy person, just look stupid lecturing other wealthy people. What have YOU really contributed to the world?

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2021 7:09 PM

If I remember rightly, Stephen Hawking stated that we'd better begin looking for a new planet.

William is right to a degree: there is a rather annoying aura of ego about this billionaire/space business.

And a somewhat more than annoying suggestion that the film Elysium was prophetic: people like Musk and Bezos are preparing their exit plans as the predicted (and I think rightly so) unravelling of human society kicks into high gear.

That said, humans have always looked outward to space. It's foolish to suppose that will ever cease. It's what else isn't being done that's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2021 7:13 PM

R39 Yes! She was right there with Bezos yesterday after Shatner returned from the space trip. She handed Bezos a bottle of wine to shake and spray in celebration on live television.

I was looking for her and she popped up.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2021 7:14 PM

R35 No, he used to be an asshole when he ran Microsoft. Melinda mellowed him and turned him towards philanthropy. Good for her for being a good influence. Yes, he gets credit from turning from the dark side (selling new Microsoft Office with new features hardly anyone needed) and treating underlings poorly to being a spokesman for rich people giving to charity.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote]He's essentially bemoaning what these guys do in their free time.

Then he's doubly right in doing so. Maybe they should find a hobby that more environmentally friendly. I get a kick out of people here simping for billionaires who are literally contributing to climate change with their space race. That rocket isn't being fueled by solar.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2021 7:19 PM

r45 he's in a glass house himself and throwing stones. I do think that even very wealthy people can publicly focus on political or societal causes even if it may seem hypocritical, because they are talking about a broader thing than one person - however in this case he does sound cluelessly out of touch with his own reality.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2021 7:22 PM

Glass house? He's at least doing something more than paying lip service.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote] He's at least doing something more than paying lip service.

What exactly has he done?

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 7:25 PM

R4 Not really. Resources are finite and getting more so every day.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2021 7:27 PM

Really, r48. It's not that difficult to find yourself. You seem like you'd do well to educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2021 7:28 PM

Oh, boo hoo, It's the Billionaire's Boys Club and he's not a member. Gran won't let him hang out with the cool kids just because of that little "incident" with Uncle Andy. " But, Gran, we've been exploiting the peasants for a 1000 years and these new money hucksters get to play in space, it's not fair"

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2021 7:28 PM

r47 yes, he's heir to an immense fortune himself, and he's also directly equating having great wealth with being one of history's "greatest minds", which is definitely not the case. Elon Musk isn't a genius, nor is Bezos, nor is Gates, nor is Branson. They are overachieving people born on third base, and what they have achieved, while admirable, does not make them a "great mind".

Has he come out against the new royal yacht that Boris Johnson was pushing?

r50 can't name anything off the top of your head, can you?

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 7:29 PM

Who cares what those ROYAL 👑 TWITS have to say

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 7:29 PM

I think the other thing that's annoying about the statement is that he's committing the great sin of assuming that because Musk, Bezos, Branson, etc. all have vast fortunes, they know HOW to fix society's ills or save the environment, even with lots of money. Billionaires are good at what they do, but that does not mean they are the right people to fix major global issues that depend on a lot more than just spending money in the right places.

Simple fact is, if they were interested in saving the world, they wouldn't have made their money the way they did. It's like that fable about the fox and the scorpion.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 7:31 PM

R52, you're such a dumb cunt that you're oblivious to the fact that I've already named it in this thread.

Educate yourself...and started by learning 'the google'.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 7:32 PM

They're spending millions, if not billions, to go to space for a few seconds. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, even with Earth's MANY problems taken out of the equation

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 7:32 PM

r55 You seem really focused on promoting William here, not me. You're doing a bad job, though, because you don't win people over by calling them names and telling them to "Google".

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote]Billionaires are good at what they do, but that does not mean they are the right people to fix major global issues that depend on a lot more than just spending money in the right places.

Nobody is asking them to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2021 7:34 PM

They still have billions to spare left over, so they don't care. Plus they have investors.

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2021 7:34 PM

r58 Prince William is shaming them for not doing it.

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2021 7:34 PM

R57 is simping for billionaires.

by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2021 7:34 PM

Like, as one small example, look at when Elon Musk tried to use his GREAT MIND to solve the problem of getting those kids trapped in the cave out. His solution, to reuse one of the tubes used in SpaceX's endeavors, was widely panned by actual scientists as being totally useless in the twisting and winding tunnels that the kids would have to pass through to get out. And then he got offended that people weren't bending over backwards to praise and thank him.

r61 Yes, see above, I'm really simping for them!

by Anonymousreply 62October 14, 2021 7:35 PM

R62...you are simping for billionaires. Musk did way more than that...he publicly called one of the rescuers a pedo. But you left that part out.

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2021 7:38 PM

He is right

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2021 7:39 PM

r56 Take a look at the history of NASA. A lot of new technologies are discovered along the way in attempting to achieve certain goals. A lot of people decried NASA as well for wasting money, even though compared to everything else the US government spends money on, NASA is woefully underfunded.

The major difference from the US and Russian space race of the past was that these billionaires have the resources that used to only be available to entire countries. So it's akin to William yelling at Canada's PM for not focusing larger parts of their budgets on fixing the environment.

by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2021 7:39 PM

r63 I think if anyone reads over my posts they will see I am not simping for billionaires, I am just disagreeing with Prince William that we should be expecting them to solve the ills of humanity.

Musk is a terrible person, I wasn't posting the tube-in-cave to highlight how great he was, as should be obvious to anyone with an IQ greater than 30. I was posting it as an example of how billionaires aren't a one-size-fits-all patch for solving the problems of the world. That's part of the danger of having great wealth is that you start thinking you know how to fix things you don't really have the expertise to do. So calling for them to do just that, isn't a solution.

You, on the other hand, seem to be bending over backwards to attack me rather than respond to what I'm actually saying, which says more about you, not me.

by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2021 7:43 PM

Like, this is clearly stupid and a plea for attention:

"It also comes just days after SpaceX founder Elon Musk, whose ambitious plans involve colonising Mars, revealed he would now like to build Tesla cars on the Red Planet."

I don't think Musk is the person to solve global warming.

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2021 7:45 PM

If they would pay their damn taxes we could have nice things

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2021 7:46 PM

Good for him.

By the way, now he is keeping his remaining hair so short he actually looks quite handsome. It looked awful when he wore it longer, but now he keeps it very close to the scalp. He's got a handsome face and a nicely shaped head. if he has to be bald (which he decided very early he would be, and not try to fix it), he looks great.

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2021 7:48 PM

R69 you are paid to make positive William comments in multiple gossip sites. Twitter is right now taking the proverbial piss out of the obvious paid comments. They are giving examples of exact duplicate comments. The comments are: He's right. How handsome William is. Are UK taxpayers money paying for the obvious troll fest. And isn't this a bit ironic considering the subject matter. Go check out other gossip sites. It's just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote] [R69] you are paid to make positive William comments in multiple gossip sites

No, I'm not, you paranoid freakshow. I'm a college professor who wastes time at the office by posting onto a gay gossip forum.

by Anonymousreply 71October 14, 2021 8:10 PM

I'm not a royalist but I agree with William on this. The amount of money billionaires spend for a 10 minute space jaunt could feed a third world country. William is not saying humans shouldn't go to space btw just that "recreational space travel" is a gross extravagance.

Also for people saying we should go to space to colonize other worlds...we are nowhere near having the technology to began a mass colonization project. Maybe in a century or two and by then humans could very well be extinct if we don't get our shit together.

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2021 8:19 PM

^ I'm a surgeon who in between incisions likes to chat with Gay guys about royals

by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2021 8:20 PM

R69 is socially inept and rather paranoid, likely a result of an inability to negotiate conflict successfully, which itself likely stems from a record of poor life decisions rooted in and determined by their reactions to conflict, along with barely concealed anger at their own ageing and sense of loss of control.

Next time, I’m charging. Even you, R69, you fat ingrate.

by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2021 8:22 PM

My apologies, R69!

I drink to obliterate the memory of my ever having given life to the poster who followed your rather insightful comment.

by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2021 8:25 PM

[Quote]William is right, totally right. The whole thing is a disgraceful waste and spectacle.

Agreed!

Can we please focus on stopping global warming. Bezos and Musk should be paying taxes so we can have electric powered cars and trains.

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2021 8:39 PM

At least he's got something coherent to say rather than blathering on about "compassion".

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2021 8:55 PM

Has anyone told him that his future entails lording over the production of tea towels and commemorative plates bearing his image. Period. That’s what it is to be the ‘King’ of England in the 21st century. It also might be interesting to see just how much has been spent being Prince William from birth to today.

The Monarchy is Great Britain’s Disneyland. Some castles and William playing Mickey Mouse. It’s cheap entertainment. If every royal disappeared tomorrow, within 48 hours every role would be filled by an actor. And they’d do a better job than the real thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2021 9:07 PM

I'm all for this, it's the future of travel. Air travel started out as very expensive and only for the rich, and then it became available to everyone. Things like this need time, and it will be a positive thing.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2021 9:58 PM

R78, William's future role is to be head of state, symbol of the nation. What he will do is no different than the ceremonial aspects of the American presidency. Your ignorance is showing.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2021 10:02 PM

It's possible to do both.

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2021 10:04 PM

The Monarchy brings the British people together and gives them a strong sense of national identity, among other important things. It's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] Bezos and Musk should be paying taxes so we can have electric powered cars and trains.

Agreed on the taxes, but you do realize that Musk has done more for bringing electric cars to market than anyone, right?

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2021 10:05 PM

^ Good point.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2021 10:32 PM

I came to post this. Prince William is my hero! Fuck these billionaire cunts with their vanity projects. If they have so much money that it's burning a hole in their pocket, help the poor people of the world, like Bill Gates does.

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2021 10:45 PM

How can you even live on other planets? That's the bit that doesn't make sense. Where are you going to get oxygen, grow crops and so on.

by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2021 11:00 PM

How about that garbage patch the size of Texas floating around the Pacific Ocean? Why don’t our billionaire overlords team up to sort that mess out?

by Anonymousreply 87October 14, 2021 11:11 PM

BREAKING: The Queen was overheard today in Wales saying she is very upset that world leaders are not doing enough to battle climate change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 14, 2021 11:44 PM

I never think it's an accident when the Queen is overheard saying anything.

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2021 11:45 PM

68% on people polled in the UK today agree with William. Only 2% Thought he was wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 12:02 AM

Here's the footage of the Queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 15, 2021 3:09 AM

Unless and until somebody finds a way around the speed of light AND finds life sustaining exoplanet the idea of large scale emigration to other planets is total fantasy. No other planet or moon in the solar system could sustain itself without resupply of all the materials a fully industrialized world can create and transport at MASSIVE expense. Cut off those medicines and spare parts and the colony disappears like the Roanoke settlement.

[quote] The rockets all look like dicks.

You just now notice ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 15, 2021 5:33 AM

First William and now the Queen getting in on the action at r88? The nerve of these people. She wants to help with climate change? Close down all of their stately homes, palaces and mansions. Just close them up and move into Kensington Palace. That has enough space for her entire family. Oh and stop with the private jets. For the love of all that is good, stop green lighting helicopter flights. All of her children and her A-list grandchildren use helicopters like they are Uber’s. No, Princess Anne doesn’t need to fly a chopper to some podunk village to open up a mini children’s museum.

If the Queen gives a damn, she can order an all hands on deck approach via every member publicly joining an additional climate change charity along with their personal sacrifices for the cause. Since the royal family continues to utilize energy sucking homes, cars, planes, and helicopters, it’s rather hard to take Elizabeth or William seriously.

After all, William was the man that said Africans (black people) need to reduce the number of children they have, while he goes off and has 2 unnecessary children after George was born. A mess.

by Anonymousreply 93October 15, 2021 8:24 AM

Yes, the speed of light is the issue. Without breaking it, we going nowhere.

I imagine the billionaires figure they have to start somewhere. I'd be surprised if behind the scenes they weren't funding research to get past that barrier.

by Anonymousreply 94October 15, 2021 6:26 PM

R90 Oh, Harry won't like that at all!

If Charles has half a brain left, he'll move aside for William.

by Anonymousreply 95October 15, 2021 6:28 PM

R86 via terraforming. But it’s a long process—doubt whether even our great grandkids would see it totally ready.

by Anonymousreply 96October 15, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote] The Monarchy brings the British people together and gives them a strong sense of national identity.

At the moment, the England Senior Mens’ football squad are doing a miles better job of that. In terms of morale, ambassadorship, advocacy, and just making us all look decent, this current crop of nice-but-dim 20-something lads have the Royals on toast.

Watch it all go tits up for us at the World Cup now I’ve said that though😂🤭🤐

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 15, 2021 7:04 PM

Earth was located in the most advantageously possible orbit and held oceans of liquid water. It still took billions of years to terraform.

by Anonymousreply 98October 15, 2021 7:05 PM

R80, what pure ignorance is your thinking that the Executive Branch of the American government is merely ‘symbolic and ceremonial.’

The power of the Executive Branch either eludes you, or was never part of your formal education. The President has powers of Executive Action, the appointment of federal judges as well as policy that the monarchy simply doesn’t possess; at all.

For your edification I’ve attached a link that describes the powers of the President and the Executive Branch. Compare that to those of the royals. Trying to create some parallel between the Queen of England and the President of the United States is simply preposterous. And I’m sure that the queen would agree with me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2021 12:41 AM

Nobody's going to read that r99

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2021 1:07 AM

R100, that’s why we’re in such a sorry state. Ignorance is bliss.

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2021 1:10 AM

Snazzy, idiot, learn to read. R80 clearly states "What he will do is no different than the ceremonial aspects of the American presidency." Aspects means parts, implying the are other parts of the role... like the administration of the executive branch. Learn to read before you shoot off your erroneous posting. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2021 1:59 AM

Yeah, r99, I read r80’s post to be referring to the ceremonial parts of the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2021 2:33 AM

R103.

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2021 2:36 AM

But Snazzy put so much verbosity into making itself look like a pompous windbag with 1st percentile comprehension skills.

by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2021 2:39 AM

R105, what you wrote isn’t even a sentence. Is this who’s left of the Royalists? You’re Incapable of communicating in your own language; and then haughtily criticize someone who writes in standard english.

You’re letting your Queen and Prince down by poor example Gertie.

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2021 11:26 AM

Can't stand the royals, or monarchy, for that matter...but he's right.

by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2021 11:46 AM

William is right.

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2021 7:48 PM

R105 - I tried Google Translate on your post and it was unable to help.

Meanwhile, a huge majority of the British people, according to a survey taken by YouGov right after he made the remark, agree with William.

We can make all the arguments we like about whether the monarchy does this or that or doesn't (although it should be borne in mind that the government find them very useful, indeed). What isn't arguable is William's ongoing and increasing popularity. Only the Queen is more popular.

Last year, YouGov offered a menu of choices to Britons in a survey of who they would like as an elected Head of State.

Guess who came out tops? Oh, the irony!

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2021 7:53 PM

It probably was able to help, R109, it just probably wasn't able to help you. But no doubt you're used to that by now, even if it's just a perpetual feeling of confusion. Remember to look both ways, dear.

by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2021 10:06 PM

William & Kate are looking smashing this evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 17, 2021 8:19 PM

Why dosen't he whiten his teeth? He should have movie star white teeth. He has all that damn money and his teeth has all that yellow on them.

He should be walking around looking like a movie star and get a well done professional hair transplant. He has way to much money to be walking around the way he does.

by Anonymousreply 112October 17, 2021 8:48 PM

He’s the future monarch: botox, teeth-bleach, glow-in-the-dark chiclet teeth and fake hair are not in his future.

by Anonymousreply 113October 17, 2021 8:52 PM

I've always assumed he smokes. Those are really yellow teeth he's got.

by Anonymousreply 114October 17, 2021 8:54 PM

Hair transplants dosen't have to be fake. Look at of of those male celebrities who have had really good hair transplants done. You'd never know they had it done.

And he doesn't have to have white chiclet teeth. They can be very realistic looking. Or he can just whiten his teeth and have them cleaned really well.

Being future king shouldn't mean letting yourself go. You can still keep yourself up and looking good without going full-blown Beverly hills science project.

by Anonymousreply 115October 17, 2021 9:00 PM

It's difficult to explain to Americans why senior royals (particularly male blood royals in direct line to the throne) can't have work done, but they definitely can't. It's not written down anywhere, he wouldn't lose his spot over it or anything, but he...he just can't, OK? It simply would not and will not ever happen.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2021 11:18 PM

R116 it’s difficult to explain to Americans because so many of them in these threads think that the British Royal family are celebrities, which they are not. They also seem to believe - all evidence to the contrary - that succession to the monarchy is a popularity contest, which again, it is not.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2021 11:22 PM

Aristocrats - and royalty are the pinnacle - don't think about glamour or anything like it.

From Sophia Money-Coutts - she's one of 'em - and she writes about it in the Telegraph. Much tongue in cheek but there's truth beneath the hoorays:

"It’s not looking rosy: no petrol, no gas and, perhaps even more troubling, the threat of no pigs in blankets this Christmas. At such a time, I believe we must look to the aristocracy for help. Bear with me. British toffs are survivors. Forget the French and the Russian ones. They were knocked off years ago. And you may still come across the odd Italian count, but they were technically disbanded a while back, too. Unlike British nobs, who have literally lasted centuries and are well known for being hardy, parsimonious sorts who would rather admit to loving their own children than turn the heating on in December."

I don't know if you can all read the link or not but here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2021 11:30 PM

R117, we Americans don’t think that the royals are celebrities. Celebrities actually work. And contrary to your supposition, we also understand the fundamentals of royal succession. Now, if only you and your denizens had a grasp of the American branches of government and their powers and responsibilities, all of these cross continental contradictions would make much more sense to you and yours.

And with this post, I leave the world of you Royalistas, a no win group of interlopers who hundreds of DL regulars have scorned for years.

Everything about this masquerade has been untethered since the death of Diana. Your monarchs are the stuff of tabloids and entertainment columns. They only make news when they’re about to be indicted for sex crimes.

by Anonymousreply 119October 17, 2021 11:55 PM

R119 assumes that I’m British. I’m not. Typical American.

by Anonymousreply 120October 18, 2021 12:14 AM

I adore William.

by Anonymousreply 121October 18, 2021 12:14 AM

Is that velvet blazer he was sporting black or a dark shade of forest green? I can't tell from the photos, it looks either/or.

Kate looked great in the recycled McQueen, one of her best dresses.

by Anonymousreply 122October 18, 2021 12:49 AM

Snazzy was wrong last night and nursing wounded feelings today. Good riddance, ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2021 12:53 AM

That was some flounce. Could Snazzy be Miss Senatrice Lindsay Graham's DL cover? Or should I say nom de plume. Snazz seems the type to wield an ostrich feather.

by Anonymousreply 124October 18, 2021 12:57 AM

I like William. He's a take-no-shit Alpha and that's exactly what a man in his position needs to be. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2021 1:00 AM

It *was* a flounce, R124, wasn't it? Trés dramatique. Snazzy SCORNS us!

Anyway I agree with you R125 - he's got the air of a real alpha about him. It's the ease, isn't it? The lack of desperation to be seen as an alpha, which is what Harry has about him.

by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2021 2:34 AM

R114 He did smoke when he was younger (as did Kate) but it's believed he stopped after he got married. Harry smoked like crazy (despite what the Sussexes have leaked it's rumoured Harry still smokes and so does Meghan).

R125 & R126 William has major BDE.

R119 Um royals work you dumb knob far more than most movie stars in Hollywood. Most royals in the UK undertake hundreds of engagements (most of which go uncelebrated) each year. I'm not a royalist but good lord I would not want that kind of life. Endless small talk, being shuttled around to schools, hospitals, charities, having to entertain foreign leaders, going to shit hole countries to promote the UK, having your life scheduled to the hour years in advanced.

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2021 2:44 AM

[quote] Glass house? He's at least doing something more than paying lip service.

What’s Prince William done for the environment. Throw a party?

by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2021 7:56 AM

[quote] Endless small talk, being shuttled around to schools, hospitals, charities, having to entertain foreign leaders, going to shit hole countries to promote the UK, having your life scheduled to the hour years in advanced.

They literally do that to justify their existences. What else are they going to do?

And it is widely known that charities with royal patrons do not do well, because people assume they are well funded when in reality Kate Middleton or Prince Michael of Kent rock up once everyone 5 years for 15 minutes, say “hmmm, yes, yes, jolly good”, reject the offer of lunch and fuck off home and call it a day’s work.

by Anonymousreply 129October 18, 2021 8:00 AM

R119 Dont let the door hit you in the arse.

by Anonymousreply 130October 18, 2021 10:34 AM

Whoever is styling Kate these days should get a dame/knighthood..

The dress is as perfectly chosen for its flowing natural Earth Maiden, almost Grecian look for this venue and event, as the Golden Gown was for its glamour for the Bond premiere. Ditto the natural, flowing wavy hair.

Is this the gown she wore to an L.A. event a few months after they were married, but with a narrower, less glitzy belt? The other belt was wider, silvet-toned . . .

God, how that woman has maintained that svelte figure.

Meghan probably has to order new crockery by now.

by Anonymousreply 131October 18, 2021 10:43 AM

[quote]And it is widely known that charities with royal patrons do not do well

Then it should be easy to prove.

Link, please.

by Anonymousreply 132October 18, 2021 11:34 AM

R129: Liar or fantasist.

by Anonymousreply 133October 18, 2021 11:35 AM

Well, bugger me if it isn't the same McQueen number she wore ten years ago in Hollywood, just a few months after they were married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 18, 2021 2:31 PM

R134...I actually think she looked better in it yesterday than she did 10 years ago. She's put on a bit of weight and has toned up and she looks great, and the hair is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 135October 18, 2021 4:39 PM

So next year's awards will take place in the US. I wonder how Harry and Meghan will try to upstage that.

by Anonymousreply 136October 18, 2021 4:58 PM

Kate's still a mix of hit and misses. She looks terrific in something bold (like the gold thing) or a solid (like the lilac McQueen or a lot of her "work wear" which tends to be solids.) She can still go off the rails with patterns from time to time and those wedge heels were always so clunky. I think she is hitting more than she misses. No Nolan Miller on eBay for her.

by Anonymousreply 137October 18, 2021 5:05 PM

[quote]Link, please.

Here you go, sweetie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 18, 2021 9:12 PM

So, by your definition one finding of "don't seem to help charities much" is the equivalent of "widely known that charities with royal patrons do not do well"?

I'd rethink any plans for a career as an expert witness.

by Anonymousreply 139October 18, 2021 9:23 PM

So you read the headline and not the data within. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 140October 18, 2021 10:11 PM

If they'd pay their fair share of taxes, they could blast themselves to Pluto for all I care. WE are subsidizing their fun and games.

by Anonymousreply 141October 18, 2021 10:39 PM

R139, they actually are pretty equivalent in this context.

by Anonymousreply 142October 18, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote] I've always assumed he smokes. Those are really yellow teeth he's got.

Tea stains worse than cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 143October 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Really r143? I didn't know that. I thought cigs were the worst for teeth stains.

by Anonymousreply 144October 18, 2021 11:39 PM

R138 I have no vested interest in this argument about royal patronages but this is not actually a legit study, this is a blog run by a women (with a nice mullet) named Caroline Fiennes, who appears to be a right-wing nutter based on her Twitter (and a majority of her followers appear to be bots).

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2021 4:46 AM

Richard Madeley apparently caused a furious backlash on GMB when ot covered the Earthshot event, at which Kate delivered the best speech of her public life so far. She's obviously been working on it, her voice evenly modulated with a surprisingly lower timbre than I expected.

Madeley's only comment after the video of he speech was what a tiny, tiny waist Kate has, which is co-host, the ever-charming Ms Reid, agreed.

The social media backlash on objectification was, shall we say, ferocious.

I suppose it's possible he just wanted to annoy Meghan, who does not possess nor has she ever possessed a waist.

But more like being the bolland he always has been.

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2021 9:21 AM

^*bellend (not bolland)

The fucking autocorrect made me type it 3 times before accepting the existence of such a word.

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2021 9:23 AM

Rats, no photos at the Diana event earlier, which is too bad, as Kate did act as hostess with William. Public and press were kept away.

by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2021 11:06 PM

He also needs to downsize his own life.

Fucking hypocrite!

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2021 7:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!