Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hotel, the 80's TV series starring James Brolin and Connie Sellecca

Any fans of the St Gregory's constant shenanigans and / or James Brolin's turn as sexy bearded general manager Peter McDermott, please share your memories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 12:10 PM

Love Boat on land basically. Of course it had better guest stars. Liz Taylor did the first episode. Would've loved to have seen Bette Davis do the whole series if her health would've held up. Anne Baxter did a nice job though. Love the All About Eve parallel.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 4:34 PM

Sheryl Lee Ralph was a bellboy

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 4:46 PM

High gloss version of the "Ann Sothern Show" (the second one). I don't think I've ever seen most of the regulars in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 5:00 PM

Shari Belafonte Harper was quite beautiful though in some episodes looked (and sounded) like she was transitioning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 5:01 PM

I remember an episode where Robert Reed's wife played by Deirdre Hall catches him with a gay hook up. River Phoenix played their son.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 5:04 PM

r4 she's on The Morning Show now and looks like a dude.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 5:07 PM

R5 I recently watched an episode of Medical Center where Robert Reed underwent a sex change operation.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 5:13 PM

Douglas Barr (The Fall Guy) played a gay man in a custody battle for his daughter with his late ex-wife’s parents (Marion Ross, Lloyd Bochner).

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 5:15 PM

I liked the episode with Heather Langenkamp. Her mother (Dee Wallace) is having an affair with a younger man, played by Vincent Irizarry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 5:18 PM

Michael Spound was cute and had big dick face.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 5:20 PM

They sold the series on Bette Davis starring as owner of the hotel—Bette being relevant to pop culture again because "Bette Davis Eyes" was the #1 song of 1981—but she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a series of strokes after filming the pilot. They very intentionally replaced her with Anne Baxter for the camp value/publicity.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 6:21 PM

How did the show explain Anne Baxter's death? I think she died during the 4th season. I remember that Mr. Brady (Robert Reed) played a 'mo on the show. Was "The Love Boat" cast ever on "Hotel" and/or vice versa?

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 6:22 PM

Was there ever an actual gay themed storyline on The Love Boat? All I remember are hilarity ensues mix-ups where guys being mistaken as gay couples. Like, when two goons come along to a newlywed's honeymoon to put pressure on the groom to perform or when Al Corley guest stars and is mistaken as gay for bringing along his brother to his honeymoon instead of his bride to be (whom he left at the altar after finding out that she ... gasp ... dated some other guy before him).

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 6:28 PM

I remember the pilot featured Morgan Fairchild as a prostitute and Josh Brolin pushing her to acknowledge that she was raped by the guys who hired her for a bachelor party.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 6:32 PM

r12, Anne Baxter died near the end of season 3; at the beginning of season 4, her character of Victoria Cabot died and her will became a source of conflict between hotel manager Peter McDermott (James Brolin) and Victoria's relative Charles Cabot (Efrem Zimbalist), who installed his daughter (Michelle Phillips) as an employee to spy on Peter. It was one of the few storylines that stretched over several episodes.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 6:36 PM

Who is that supporting cast of non entities? Never watched it but know James Brolin can't act. Just watch Amityville Horror, Gable and Lombard or The Car. Was Connie Sellecca supposed to be a lesbian nun?

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 7:28 PM

This episode was the best obviously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 7:33 PM

Shea Farrell has turned into a hot daddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 7:33 PM

James Brolin and Connie Sellecca were gorgeous together. Him with his sexy beard and her with her long, flowing dark hair.

The sets were impressive as were the guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 7:38 PM

“Guest Starring Tori Spelling”!!! Bahahhahhahaha!

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 7:39 PM

I, too, preferred this over The Love Boat; it only occasionally featured a comedy storyline; usually it was pretty serious, and towards the end -- I believe following Anne Baxter's death -- it turned into a semi-soap opera, with various individuals vying to take control of the hotel.

One of my favorite episodes featured hottie Doug Barr from The Fall Guy as a gay man trying to retain custody of his daughter (Missy Francis) following the death of his ex-wife; the ex-wife's parents (Lloyd Bochner, Marion Ross) are suing him to get custody themselves. Michael Sabatino of Days of Our Lives' fame played Doug's boyfriend.

Here's the opening titles for an episode with guest stars Karen Grassle (Little House), Martin Hewitt (Endless Love), Janet Wyatt and a very young Tori Spelling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 7:39 PM

Nathan Cook, who played hotel security, died during the last season.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 7:43 PM

When Robert Reed wasn't indulging in gay hookups on Hotel, he was molesting his step-daughter. The guy couldn't catch a break; maybe that's why he was notoriously crabby.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote]but she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a series of strokes after filming the pilot.

Those strokes were caused by alcohol withdrawal while she was still in the hospital recovering from the mastectomy. She suffered from wild hallucinations and severe metal confusion right before the stokes happened. It's astounding the hospital staff didn't realize what was going on. The withdrawal could've been easily treated and the strokes prevented. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 10:08 PM

The original movie starred Rod Taylor as Josh Brolin and Merle Oberon as Connie Selleca.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 10:36 PM

Oops, even James & Sellecca!

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 10:39 PM

R25, Merle Oberon played a different character in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2021 10:43 PM

R27. I always remembered Nathan Cook from "The White Shadow."

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 11:41 PM

R25

[quote] The original movie starred Rod Taylor as Josh Brolin and Merle Oberon as Connie Selleca.

You're only half right. Rod Taylor was the Hotel Manager, Melvin Douglas was the hotel owner, Merle Oberon was the Duchess and Michael Rennie was The Duke, her husband. Richard Conte was the Hotel Detective and Karl Malden was the Thief. Kevin McCarthy was the tycoon who wanted to buy the hotel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2021 1:46 AM

I hope Shea Ferrell and Michael Spound had some moments together in the service elevator or in a room waiting to be made up.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2021 1:59 AM

A scene from the Robert Reed gay episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 4:27 AM

115 episodes on dvd on Amazon for 29 dollars.....I bought it...Well worth it....

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2021 4:29 AM

It seems like everybody guest-starred on this show. Even Gordon Lightfoot!

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2021 5:00 AM

R31: Even compared with the Brady Bunch, it's not exactly great dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 11:46 AM

Why do people tolerate these “cute 🤢 meets”?

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 12:08 PM

Shea Farrell was so handsome on the show.

Besides Elizabeth Taylor, I remember seeing Shelley Winters check into “Hotel”, plus another episode that featured (in separate storylines) Susan George and DL fave Sarah Jessica Parker!

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 12:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!