Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeff Bezos Interrupts recovering alcoholic William Shatner’s speech to spray him with champagne

Video at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 2, 2021 2:28 PM

Oh God, that made me so angry. A 90 year old man who’s spent almost his whole life staring at a bluescreen of space actually gets to see space, he’s clearly shaken and he’s struggling to express the profundity of the situation and he gets drowned out by a bunch of morons high-fiving each other and acting like they just won the high school football game.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 4:55 AM

Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 5:25 AM

You can tell Shat was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 5:25 AM

It’s always been about bezos.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 5:49 AM

With Blue Origin, the world now gets too see how douchey Bezos really is.

After his own first flight, back in July, he was douchey with his cowboy hat, talking, wait, screaming on the top of his lungs, like he was on some kind of trip. None of the other crew members (well maybe his brother) were able to speak in the post flight interview without Bezos cutting them off.

This time, he cuts off a visibly moved 90 years old Shatner and sprays him with champagne while you hear fraus screaming in the background. Such blatant disrespect.

This is an egomaniac in plain sight. Everyone can see it now, not just the people working for him.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 6:26 AM

And I'll add: Say what you will about Musk, but he's not exhibited that type of craziness and disrespect so far (although, he has his issues).

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 6:28 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 7:21 AM

Eh, hasn't he been sober for a long time? What's a little champagne after going to space and being 90?

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 7:58 AM

Shatner must’ve been really pissed off! It doesn’t take much to make him mad!

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 8:08 AM

Shatz isn’t as pissed off as I am

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 10:27 AM

Why cry over spilt milk when you can laugh over champagne?

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 10:49 AM

I think he was cutting off the Shat. Like Bezos had heard enough “blabbing”

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 1:36 PM

Classic tech-hole. Clueless yet deemed “aloof”, lucky yet deemed “genius”.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 2:56 PM

Although in this case, I wonder if he was trying to stop Shatner from saying something. He was hinting at global warming at one point in the press interviews.

I need to see the rest of this video.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 2:58 PM

The frau troll looking thing that handed Bezos the bottle and proceeds to screech like a banshee is his girlfriend Lauren Sanchez.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 4:21 PM

I hate it here.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote]The frau troll looking thing that handed Bezos the bottle

Is that rat's nest atop her head the best hair Bezos's money can buy? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 4:29 PM

[quote]Say what you will about Musk, but he's not exhibited that type of craziness and disrespect so far (although, he has his issues).

Oh, really? The dickhead injected himself into that horrible situation in Thailand where those kids were trapped in that cave and when one of the rescuers had the "audacity" to call out Musk for trying to make it about himself, Musk's response was to refer to that man as a pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote] The dickhead injected himself into that horrible situation in Thailand where those kids were trapped in that cave and when one of the rescuers had the "audacity" to call out Musk for trying to make it about himself, Musk's response was to refer to that man as a pedophile.

Matt Damon was really the unsung hero in that Thailand cave situation.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]I hate it here.

Sorry, but your presence is required.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 9:10 PM

R18, that is why I said he has his issues.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 3:31 AM

This was advertising, didn't any of you understand that? They only had Shatner on board because of the publicity of having an actor who played an astronaut be an astronaut.

This wasn't some sniffly feel-good moment for a beloved American icon, it was an advert for Bezos's space travel business.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2021 3:48 AM

R22 Can it be both? I was cynical before the launch but after, I thought Shatner seemed genuinely moved by the experience. He was a little befuddled but it seemed genuine. I give him credit, I’m 40 years younger than him and I can’t imagine the physical experience of being launched into space and back within a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2021 4:53 AM

I just don't get the 'hero worship' of guys like Bezos and Musk, and how much they've been put on a pedestal by so many people in these times we're living in. These guys are narcissists and ego-maniacs, if not outright sociopaths...how is it not obvious? But I suppose that's what a lot of people really want/wish to be, if not already are themselves. These two are pretty much worshiped by the social media entrepreneur/gymbro types. Then again, those types love Joe Rogan too. It's all so...transparent.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2021 4:53 AM

No one has ever dared to call Bezos out to his face. It is so, so far past time.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2021 5:03 AM

Real-life Lex Luthor(s) bent on world dominaton.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2021 7:56 AM

R24, I don't know if it's 'hero worship's as much as it is respect for their entrepreneurial talent and admiration for their innovation skills. I am the guy calling Bezos douchey at R5. But I also acknowledge that he's created Amazon, no small feat. Musk is probably functioning at a higher level in that area, with SpaceX, PayPal and Tesla, and is aspiring to put humans on Mars. I am aware of his flaws and remember his craziness during the Thailand episode. But I also recognize that he's pushing the boundaries, thinks beyond P&L, and is trying to elevate humanity via real impact.

You can admire and be inspired by someone for there ability to innovate and create, while acknowledging their flaws. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I'm curious: Who has passed your purity test recently?

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 2:22 PM

Their*

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2021 2:23 PM

To R6... Excuse me? Musk endorsed Kanye West to run for President in 2020. If that's not "craziness and disrespect" I'm not sure we live on the same planet.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2021 2:29 PM

Shatner's a whore, darling.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2021 2:42 PM

I've seen the whole clip and Shatner was awestruck, rambling and emotional. Bezos listened patiently, they hugged, then the champagne was busted open.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 2:49 PM

Social media. Nobody is allowed to make a speech. Twitter, Reddit, Facebook. Everything is reduce to two sentences. Bezos was saying TLDR

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2021 2:59 PM

Jeff Bezos is a short, ugly troll. He just wants to be Cool and Popular Guy for once!

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2021 3:14 PM

Shatner had already stood up there, thanked Bezos and rambled on and on for a very long time.

Where is that part of the tape? Time to shut that old fool up.

That slot should have been given to a younger person or a person of color anyway. Fuck Bezos and Shatner - greedy selfish old bastards!

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 3:24 PM

I like how Shatner's twitter profile says "Not political -be warned or be blocked!" You might be Canadian but bitch this is 2021. Life is political. Also, what is this claptrap about climate change. Tell Bezos to drop this space shit and help with renewable energy.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 3:57 PM

Not everyone has to be political. Some people don't like or understand the horse race stuff or all the issues. But when millionaires say it...

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 4:37 PM

Typical tech type.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 5:59 PM

George Takei sure as fuck doesn't keep his mouth shut!

In this day and time when a person says they are apolitical it usually means they are a Trumper.

His voters always fuck up the polls. They are notorious for not publicly supporting him, especially when they know he's shitty, racist, xenophobic, immoral and totally incompetent. They're ashamed.

But unfortunately these assholes are not ashamed enough to stop supporting him.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote]Not everyone has to be political.

Being a Trump supporter doesn't fall under "political." We are not talking about a difference of opinion over infrastructure spending. We are in fact talking about the difference between basic human decency and being a Trump supporter. Anyone who is indifferent to him is just as awful as being a supporter because being indifferent to someone who has done this damage to the nation, makes you a part of this country's demise.

What you are saying is that if someone clearly expresses they are homophobic and that gays are all pedophiles who should be killed, you're fine with someone else saying "I have no opinion on that person. I'm indifferent to them."

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 6:37 PM

Shat is a recovering alcoholic so the champagne dousing was really cruel.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2021 7:09 PM

I would have settled for a mere dousing, cruel or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2021 7:14 PM

R27 It has nothing to do with "purity". It has everything to do with having that kind of entrepreneurial spirit, vision, "genius", etc. and what it actually reveals - in this case, do these men have a social conscious or not. And I'm not seeing it. Sure, they created some great things. Fine. Nobody is denying that. What some of us are looking at is what are they doing with all that power and wealth, particularly beyond the "dreams" that just stroke their own egos. And in the case of these two, what kind of companies do they run? What are worker conditions? Etc. And we have, on record, horrific cases of abuse of workers, shit pay, shit benefits, etc...in some cases, something almost akin to slave labor. Then, what kind of taxes do they pay, if any? Is it their fair share? Considering the current state of the world, class and economic disparities greater than ever, the power and wealth of society in the hands a very few (particularly these two), excuse me for being a bit skeptical. For all that genius and innovation that is supposedly going to make humanity better, they sure as hell aren't doing that with the very humans that make their companies run. So what does that say about them, and their supposed "genius"...?

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2021 1:45 AM

This whole affair was surreal. Grotesque yet futuristic and then Shatner being somewhat eternal and Bezos and his cartoon villain act, down to the zany entourage. The whole thing is a crying shame and a parallel universe to the days of NASA and unions and authentic, American patriotism.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2021 4:16 AM

Musk is doing more for space exploration than all governments today. That's something meaningful for all of humankind. I don't care if you think it's fueled by ego. What isn't anyway? The US sent someone on the moon because they didn't want to lose the race to the soviets. That's national ego.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2021 5:31 AM

My god, Shatner was born in 1931. In Canada. Did they even have roads there back then?

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2021 5:35 AM

R42, the state of the world? Change doesn't come about by giving speeches but by disrupting the status quo. Musk has done more to accelerate the end of our fossil fuel addiction than most people before him. What have you done, mr holier than thou?

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2021 5:37 AM

JFC, go back to reddit with your Bezos/Musk worship, r46.

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2021 9:58 AM

Stop telling people to go back to Reddit because they disagree with you. I hate Bezos and Musk too, but enough. You're not the thread monitor.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2021 10:32 AM

R46 there's nothing 'holier than thou' going on here...just natural skepticism of people with immense power and wealth in the context of the current state of the world. That's all. Excuse me for not worshiping at the alter.

If you really think these great "innovations" by folks like Musk and Bezos are going to save the planet, fine. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one... but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2021 11:40 AM

R46 Fuck those guys! It's just a cock measuring contest for them on full display. Look at my money and my power. It's like back in the day when rich people were comparing who could buy the fanciest new car or the biggest house. I'm over it.

If they really wanted to do something patriotic or even humane try feeding hungry people or ensuring free and fair elections. There are thousands of worthy causes waiting for them to do something for someone other than stroke their own egos.

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2021 11:49 AM

I'm sorry, but the"feed the hungry" thing is just stupid. Such a reductive way of judging people's moral compass, and above all, more virtue signaling.

In essence, if someone is putting their money into space exploration, or developing solar power (e.g. Solar City / Tesla Energy), you just want to stop it because people are hungry on earth. Innovation is how we can solve today's problems, whether it's fighting climate change, diseases or hunger. We can feed the hungry" and blow all the money on it in one go, or improve the general human condition by creating permanent solutions that scale.

You know, all that money spent creating a covid vaccine, the internet or developing the microprocessor industry in the 70s (enabling you to waste time on the DL), would have been better spent on feeding the hungry. See how stupid that argument sounds?

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2021 12:47 PM

R51 You said you were sorry. You should have stopped there because everything else you said was stupid.

And since when is feeding the hungry a waste. I see your fat dumb ass is sitting up here on DL well fed! What is your purpose?

And newsflash, a 10 minute ride on a rocket ship is not "space exploration." It's a fucking joy ride for the rich and powerful.

It is immoral if you are letting people starve while you take joyrides to flaunt your wealth and feed your ego!

Let me put this in words you can understand: It's old folks version of instagram, except these people really could make a difference in someone's life except they choose not to.

Don't be such a dumbass! Learn to think for yourself (if that is possible) and not buy into everything the PR people sell you on MSNBC!

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2021 2:43 PM

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Shatner, who is known to be unpleasant and got real lucky he was on Star Trek, he isn’t an amazing actor.

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2021 2:49 PM

That's about as close to Heaven that Bill will ever get.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote]Bezos and his cartoon villain act, down to the zany entourage.

Yeah, his girlfriend even looks like The Joker with all of that awful surgery.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2021 3:27 PM

R52, I'm taking about Bezos, your taking about Musk. Musk just sent a crew for 3 days around the earth. If that's not space exploration, I'm not sure what is...

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2021 3:40 PM

R52, please re read my point about Musk, Tesla and fossil fuels. He's making a big difference in the world.

But yeah, let's hate all billionaires. What dumbfuck you are. The good thing is that you'll remain irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2021 3:43 PM

Bezos is autistic with no sense of humanity. He’s a union buster and causing the Hollywood strike on Monday

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2021 4:14 PM

R51 / R56 / R57 You dumbass, fucking lame, shit for brains mother fucker!

What has been the RESULT of any of these joyrides? NOTHING!

BILLIONS have been spent for these fuckers to fly through space and circle jerk each other while many go hungry!

It is irresponsible and reprehensible. You can support the immoral bullshit if you want to but I hope you are never down on your luck in any way and hoping someone will show you some kindness, you selfish inconsiderate mother fucker!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2021 4:19 PM

Before Covid and presumable after, I would bet that Amazon and Walmart create a net negative number of jobs if you consider all the other displaced jobs.

Not only are they not paying taxes, they seem to be shrinking the net total of workers and hours worked and overtime, in America anyway.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2021 4:23 PM

Girls, girls -- you're both cunts!

Some people never know when to get off the stage. Shatner's one of them.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2021 4:55 PM

Nobody's expecting r59 to understand. It's ok.

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2021 1:07 AM

We found another dummy like r59 with no plan who wants to spend somebody else's money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 2, 2021 1:58 PM

I had no idea that William Shatner is a recovering alcoholic. Bezo's probably didn't either. All I know about Shatner is that he was Captain Kirk on Star Trek a million years ago.

by Anonymousreply 64November 2, 2021 2:05 PM

So funny how the UN, an organization that has been funded with many billions of dollars for decades, and that has been failing to solve world hunger, is trying to school Musk for not giving billions to solve world hunger.

This is as dumb as it gets. Reminds me of what R42 was saying: If you pay your taxes / give more of your money then , world hunger / global warming / inequalities will go away.

by Anonymousreply 65November 2, 2021 2:06 PM

Billionaires are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 66November 2, 2021 2:06 PM

Very convincing, r66.

by Anonymousreply 67November 2, 2021 2:07 PM

Musk calling out the UN's bullshit.

Of course 80% of the $6B would do nothing to solve the problem, and no way world hunger would be resolved.

BTW if it only takes $6B, shouldn't the problem have been solved by now... By the UN itself?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 2, 2021 2:09 PM

As if we didn't have enough neo-feudal lord wannabe apologists, R68 comes to dazzle us with his Elon Musk's depraved nonsense. I'm surprised that Musk didn't use the same approach when he was cheering the coup in Bolivia, and saying that the US and its corporate overlords had a right to "coup whomever we want".

by Anonymousreply 69November 2, 2021 2:13 PM

That is kind of great

by Anonymousreply 70November 2, 2021 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!