Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cher Sues Sonny's Widow

Mary Bono accused of not Chering....er, sharing the profits from Sonny & Cher songs w/Cher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2022 1:30 PM

Does she need the money?

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 3:53 AM

Has Chaz commented?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 3:53 AM

No, Cher doesn't *need* the money, but if it's not Mary's to keep then Cher *deserves* the money. Mary didn't write or sing those songs, why should she keep all the profits from them?

Let the courts decided, a million dollars isn't a lot to either of them. I guess it's the principle of it

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 4:03 AM

^ *decide*

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 4:04 AM

I'm surprised that if Cher was a legal holder of copyright that the money was funneled to Sonny's estate. If she and Sonny decided to share profits on those songs at their divorce there should have been legal papers to specify payment.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 4:07 AM

I guess it must be—because if I had millions and still earned good money—and the widow of my ex husband didn’t—I’d probably let it go. Life is short and why begrudge someone else a small streaky income. I doubt those songs are raking it in. The million sounds like an exaggerated sum to get Mary to settle.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 4:10 AM

^steady

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 4:10 AM

Mary Bono Mack is heiress to the Mack truck fortune, I seriously doubt she's hard up for money.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 4:10 AM

Cher should have known, you can't trust a repug

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 4:17 AM

^ She knows, that's why she divorced one and is now suing one

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote] Mary Bono, the widow of Sonny, stands accused of keeping Cher from her share of royalties on such hits as “I Got You Babe” and “The Beat Goes On.” The suit, filed in Los Angeles federal court, asks for $1 million. Cher and Sonny Bono divorced in 1975, but agreed to split the revenue [f]rom the songs they recorded as a duo. The Cher lawsuit alleges that Sonny’s fourth wife, Mary Bono, “has undone” Cher’s ownership of the rights and royalties, but doesn’t specify how that happened.

Seems like "I Got You Babe" might still be raking in some money. What the hell kind of agreement is this that can be "undone" unilaterally? I guess we'll find out.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 4:25 AM

recent commercials have used "I Got You Babe" and "the Beat Goes On"

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 4:28 AM

^ I was going to say both those songs pop up now and then in commercials. If Mary is selling those songs and not sharing with Cher then Cher should sue

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 4:30 AM

Mary Bobo is a republican. So of course she is a thief.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 5:44 AM

er, Bono

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 5:44 AM

Cher is down to her last $360 million. But it's the principle of the matter. With the money from the Sony & Cher records, Cher could toss a few million at her kids rather than have to break into her own bank account seeing that she's on a fixed income.

Mary, don't try and pull a fast one on Cher. She's been in the game a lot longer than almost everyone.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 6:18 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 7:23 AM

[quote]Does she need the money?

She doesn’t but their son Chaz probably does.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 7:32 AM

Cher is only asking for $1 million.

I guess it must be the principle of the matter.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 7:44 AM

So that explains this tweet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 9:29 AM

Team Cher!

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 9:34 AM

Mary Bono Mack is not heiress of anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 10:18 AM

Former husband Connie Mack III comes from an impressive background, but has zero to do with Mack trucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 10:22 AM

She's clearly only doing this for her kids and people who are designated beneficiaries after she croaks, so they have a steady stream of royalties. Someone with her wealth at 75 years old suing for 1 million alone is just petty otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 1:19 PM

It's not petty, if she doesn't fight to hold her copyright she could lose it. You can't just "be nice" and let things go when it comes to copyright, unfortunately. You have to maintain your copyright in court or else you can potentially forfeit it.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 1:23 PM

Cher isn't getting any younger, and regardless whether she needs the money or not, right is right.

Dare one say it but Cher certainly is at the age (if not past it) where she should be (or have) gotten her affairs in order.

Think of it as tying up loose ends.....

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 1:32 PM

Connie Mack is smelling an entire bakery of cookies.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2021 1:34 PM

r25 I agree with you. I said it would be petty only if this was another situation that only would yield her 1 million if she wins.

The reality is the lions share of those royalties at this point will be for her beneficiaries, not her. Good for her for doing this herself so her kids don't have to fight in court after she dies.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 1:40 PM

Don't fuck with Cher!!!! She's in it for the long game..

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2021 2:49 PM

Regarding the tweet:

Actually responsible for many lives: Chaz, Elijah, her sister and her mom

Some1 disappoints you- Elijah

Some1 betrays you - Mary Bono, that cunt!

Another rocks your 🌍 & not in a good way - maybe her mom? I think her health is in decline…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 3:06 PM

Many of S&C's early hits gave Sonny 100% of the writing credit - he signed all the contracts and kept the business details from her during those years. As a result, Sonny got 100% of the royalties. Allegedly part of their divorce agreement addressed this inequality. But if you check, Sonny is still listed as the sole writer of many of those early hits like "I've Got You Babe".

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2021 4:37 PM

Sonny Bono, as US Senator, is responsible for extending the value (in years) of copyrights and intellectual property, IIRC. This was a huge deal, a large windfall or a huge burden, depending on your position.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 5:13 PM

She should sue her hair stylist next.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 5:29 PM

“This action has become necessary because now, more than forty years after [Cher] received her 50% ownership of her and Sonny’s community property, Sonny’s fourth wife and widow, defendant Mary Bono, claims that a wholly inapplicable statutory termination provision of the Copyright Act of 1976 ... has undone [Cher’s] ownership of her royalties from the songs and recordings that she and Sonny made famous during their marriage, and deprived [Cher] of other long-established rights under the 1978 agreement,” the filing said."

"“The Copyright Act allows Sonny’s widow and children to reclaim Sonny’s copyrights from publishers, which is what they did,” Mary Bono’s attorney, Daniel J. Schacht, said in a statement to The Times. “Rep. Bono remains open to continuing a private discussion about this, but we are confident that, if necessary, the court will affirm their position.”

Oh this is so going to be good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 6:55 AM

I Gon’ Sue Babe

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 7:07 AM

Let me remind you that this poor grieving widow has been married three times since Sonny's death...

Sonny Bono (m. 1986; died 1998)​

Glenn Baxley (m. 2001; div. 2005)​

Connie Mack IV (m. 2007; div. 2013)​

Stephen S. Oswald (m. 2015)

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 8:47 AM

Sonny and Cher don’t have a son named Chaz. They have a mentally ill daughter named Chastity.

Sorry, not cosigning the trans bullshit anymore.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 8:55 AM

Does anyone know if Cher's legal name is still Allman or did she go back to Bono?

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 8:58 AM

Mary Bono is a gypsy, a tramp, and a thief.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 11:10 AM

R28 et al

Number of one million USD is what Cher wants as her cut of royalties to date. By establishing her claims future earnings will either come to Cher, or to her estate after death.

As someone said elsewhere in thread far better for Cher to get this done now than have her estate and or heirs do the legal lifting.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2021 1:08 PM

"...Mary Bono, claims that a wholly inapplicable statutory termination provision of the Copyright Act of 1976 ... has undone [Cher’s] ownership of her royalties from the songs and recordings that she and Sonny made famous during their marriage, and deprived [Cher] of other long-established rights under the 1978 agreement,” the filing said."

That's an asshole move.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2021 1:32 PM

^ I agree, fortunately Cher can afford better lawyers then Mary and will wipe the floor with that Republican cunt

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2021 1:36 PM

So who won the lawsuit???????????????

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2022 4:51 AM

Cher deserves her royalties.

That is a very sad photo of Cher, Op. She looks old enough to be Cleopatra.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2022 5:02 AM

"If I could turn back time, I'd make it more about me. Then you'd love me, love me ..."

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2022 5:04 AM

Cher wrote a song about Chaz- Gypsies, Trans and Thieves

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2022 5:07 AM

"Half Breed".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2022 5:12 AM

It’s almost time for Chaz to detransition.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2022 5:15 AM

I knew people who worked on Capital Hill who hated Mary Bono. One said a common saying was that the tree killed the wrong one.

That isn't the Connie Mack she married, R23, that was her father in-law. He was considered a good man, by people in DC. His son Congressman Connie Mack IV is considered to be a prick and they were evenly matched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2022 5:25 AM

Mary Bono is a big hairy cunt.

She’s said shitty things in the past about Cher. I recall her telling Entertainment Weekly during the Believe era that Cher used Sonny’s death for publicity. Cher said to the reporter, “Fuck Mary.”

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2022 5:30 AM

Mary Bono should've had that little skiing accident instead.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2022 5:31 AM

Mary sounds like a real piece of shit and a total grifter. She goes through husbands like that's her job. She also sounds like a real homophobic and racist cunt. How does one go from getting a BFA and working as a cocktail waitress to getting elected to Congress?

When they recorded and performed these hits, they were Sonny & Cher, not Sonny & Mary.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2022 5:59 AM

Cher continued to fuck Sunny long after she was divorced from him, which explains the tension with Mary.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2022 6:01 AM

Someone get the lady a sarcophagus resting board or an Egyptian themed assist chair. Cher looka tired.

"Look here, Leonard. I'm only going to tell you once(or twice). That bitch is stealing my money. You hear me? Fuck that slutty, gold digger. Sonny didn't love that tramp. He loved me. We were the talent, man. You go do your job and get me what is rightfully mine . I am entitled our/my royalties. What the fuck am I paying you for, anyway? Go, go now. NOW!"

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2022 6:03 AM

You know after watching the episode of the Golden Girls where Dorothy plays Cher and Sophia did Sonny. I think they need to do Maude for the next Norman Lear special and let Cher play Maude.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2022 6:05 AM

"I swear to God, Leonard. If you fuck this up, I'm going to be coming for you. I will sue the shit out of you, too."

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2022 6:06 AM

Who the hell is Leonard?

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2022 6:07 AM

"You are such a pussy attorney. Get me my money, Leonard, or I'm going go go boot your ass so hard, you'll be seeing my footprint for life."

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2022 6:10 AM

Mary Bono had the distinguished honor of being the president of USA Gymnastics for all of four days before being running out of town.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2022 6:15 AM

Cher is known to be a bit of a spendthrift. She also financially supports her mother, sister, both of her sons and a couple of longtime close friends. She has a right to do these things because she's more than earned her money but it probably puts a strain on her finances from time to time. Probably the reason she keeps touring extensively is to make sure she doesn't go broke. At one point she was doing two tours (Classic Cher and Here We Go Again Tour) back and forth before the COVID pandemic caused the latter tour to end early.

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2022 8:24 AM

r32, Sonny was never a US Senator. He was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California's 44th district. He served from January 3, 1995 until his death on January 5, 1998.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2022 10:08 AM

Cher’s mother is still alive? She must be over 100.

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2022 12:00 PM

R62 She is nearly 96 and is reportedly in bad health.

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2022 12:49 PM

Whatever happened to the bagel boy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2022 1:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!