Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Art That You Hate

Emma Van Name by Joshua Johnson

This greedy mutant child just creeps me out. I seriously doubt the artist was trying to be malicious. He just didn't have the technical skill. He was probably trying to depict a pretty, sweet young girl but instead we go this.

Please post art works that you seriously dislike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 3, 2021 12:10 AM

Salvador Dali

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 2:08 AM

Could you be more specific, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 2:09 AM

Oh dear. The title should read "got" instead of "go".

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 2:11 AM

Yeah no to the dripping clocks etc of Dali.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 2:11 AM

How can you not like melting clocks? That painting was a work of genius.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 2:14 AM

Andy Warhol murdered modern art and sold its corpse to the bankers

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 2:17 AM

I like your feisty comment, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 2:20 AM

Norman Rockwell

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 2:21 AM

I understand why Dali is important and why some people may like his work. But something about his paintings is scary and creepy to me.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 2:24 AM

All street art that isn’t traditional graff

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 2:25 AM

An Old Man and His Grandson by Domenico Ghirlandaio

Yeah, yeah. The little boy loves his grandfather despite the man's hideous nose. Whoopee. That doesn't change the fact that I don't want to look at that hideous nose. Only beautiful people in paintings, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 2:25 AM

I don't hate it, but Keith Haring's art is overrated, IMO. So, when I see it, I have a bad reaction to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 2:32 AM

A Woman with a Dog by Fragonard

Just too frivolous and decadent for my liking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 2:32 AM

Thanks to all posters. Please keep them coming.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 2:34 AM

Most conceptual art. Just not my thing at all.

I also hate Georgia O'Keefe and Mark Rothko. I really hate that Edouard Manet painting with the homely naked woman on a picnic.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 2:37 AM

I understand, R12. The art you've posted just looks like many variations on a successful formula.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 2:40 AM

Ah, Monet! How I loathe him. What a sap!

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 2:43 AM

I hate Renoir paintings, especially female figures (no, I'm not a frau-hater). Those little dabby brushstrokes and cheesy subjects.

I so much prefer the work of his contemporaries: Cezanne, Manet, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 2:44 AM

Anything painted by Jon McNaughton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 2:49 AM

Is this meant to be a companion thread to that “Who’s the Bad Art Friend” thread that I’ve been ignoring for a week?

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 2:59 AM

I do like the Annie Leibovitz photograph of Keith Haring, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 3:02 AM

Jackson Pollock

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 3:26 AM

Wolf Girl by Kiki Smith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 3:35 AM

Jasper Johns and his flags.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 3:37 AM

That is a true discovery, R23. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 3:42 AM

Thomas Kinkade's mass market paintings repel me. They are invariably kitschy, garish, and saccharine. I used to have a co-worker who collected his crap. She's a tacky bitch, so that's no surprise.

Norman Rockwell, another painter of idealistic or sentimental themes, I can understand. Kinkade just sucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 3:56 AM

I completely agree, R22. Pollock is overrated. No matter how many colors he used, it's all paint drippings — a gimmick that does not involve real craftsmanship or artistry.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2021 4:01 AM

Norman Rockwell is a respected artist. He can draw, can use color, can compose. This Rockewell drawing actually looks like a Toulouse-Lautrec or even a Gaugin, IMO.

Even something heinous like Chick Tracts. If you look at the actual drawings, there's some skill there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 4:03 AM

Basquiat. Retard scrawls. The Millennials going overboard with their bizarre worship of anything black ("We're woke!"). The Emperor's new clothes.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2021 4:06 AM

R28: I think Rockwell is underrated. He was dismissed by art critics in his lifetime. They thought he was too sentimental, particularly his covers for The Saturday Evening Post, That's unfair because he also excelled at painting subjects of a serious nature. Respect for his work came later in his career.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 4:15 AM

I’m disappointed by the Michelle Obama portrait because the technique and overall effect is interesting, but actual resemblance to the subject is lacking.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2021 4:23 AM

Balthus - for obvious reasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 6:18 AM

Anything Damien Hirst

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 6:37 AM

Works by Klimt scare me — they seem to be a harbinger of the awful excesses of of postwar life, dissolution, and the horrendous fate awaiting Austrian and German Jews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2021 6:45 AM

Another vote for Jasper Johns. His art looks like something you would buy at Target and then use to furnish the leasing office at an apartment complex or a three star hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2021 7:09 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2021 7:13 AM

Paul Cadmus' paintings.

Coarse, vulgar, people drawn as ugly caricatures. Cringeworthy. Surely he wasn't able to make a living selling paintings like "Coney Island".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2021 7:21 AM

Have you seen his Seven Deadly Sins in the Met, r37? I think his work is grotesque but I still like it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2021 7:33 AM

I like Lucien Freud generally but not this painting of him and Caroline Blackwood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2021 1:09 PM

R38, when the subject is the Seven Deadly Sins, then grotesqueness is appropriate. I agree that he showed talent and inventiveness when he came up with the Sins paintings. I just think he could have made social commentary in paintings like "Coney Island" with a lot more subtlety, but that obviously wasn't his style. I feel like I'm being hit with a sledgehammer. He got the last laugh because the "Coney Island" painting is now in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I wonder how much they paid for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2021 3:53 PM

This is hilarious. Sometimes the link at R40 links to "Paul Cadmus" paintings and sometimes it just links to "Paul" paintings at the Met.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2021 4:33 PM

Francis Bacon, Lucien Freud, Damien Hirst - such grotesque, ugly images. And stupid “Banksy.”

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2021 4:37 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2021 4:43 PM

No way. Banksy is awesome. ^^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2021 4:44 PM

Anything by Lens Dunham’s dad Carroll.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2021 4:48 PM

Yikes, OP’s example is scary!

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2021 5:03 PM

Seems like Cadmus and Lucian Freud achieved something that they intended. Both can draw. I get the creeps looking at Hieronymus Bosch, but he was talented and got his point across.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2021 5:08 PM

I actually like Cadmus’ grotesques - he always has one or two hot guys in there amidst the more unfortunates - Coney Island is no exception.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 5:13 PM

Jamie Wyeth. Riding on the coattails of his father Andrew.

Andrew Wyeth. Technically skilled, but riding on the coattails of his father N.C.

N.C. Wyeth was the real genius in that clan.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2021 5:15 PM

Modern art and the ridiculous critics that rave about it

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2021 5:22 PM

[quote]Art That You Hate

Vandelay.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2021 9:55 PM

R13, that looks like The Senatrice in a Marie Antoinette wig

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 10:00 PM

At least Cadmus brought the homoeroticism

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote) "Jackson Pollock"

Ha! R22 & R27. I have a (much smaller) copy of "Autumn Rhythm (number 30) on my bedroom wall.

And speaking of "overrated", I'll add anything by Damien Hirst. He's not an artist anyway, so much as he's a businessman.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 10:56 PM

Here are my least favorite painters, as seen and despised by me in museums around the globe, in ascending order of despicability:

James Tissot

Elihu Vedder

Frédéric Bazille

William Holman Hunt

Thomas Hart Benton

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 11:35 PM

In today's world art is whatever sells

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 11:40 PM

R34 - tastes sure vary - that portrait by Klimt is probably my favorite painting of all time.

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 11:59 PM

Basquiat

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2021 12:00 AM

Art Treacher's Fish & Chips

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2021 12:04 AM

This, the only good thing about it is Trump would need to be dead for this to take place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2021 12:22 AM

I don’t care for the icons of the Orthodox churches. They’re primitive and flat and almost cartoonish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2021 12:30 AM

R22 another vote for Jackson Pollock - not apparent talent or skill on display

R26 for that pretty little cottage to be shedding that much light onto the ground in front of it and from all the windows the way it does in that Kinkade painting, it would have to be lit entirely with modern high power LEDs. So tradtional! "Painter of Light" my ass indeed!

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2021 2:43 AM

The Impressionists. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2021 3:11 AM

The Old Masters. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2021 3:19 AM

Marc Chagall. I can't say I hate it, I just find it distasteful, unoriginal, and absolutely bereft of any redeeming features or factors. That is just a gut reaction, as I'm not a student of art or an art critic. I grant that my opinion is probably in the minority, but I simply cannot find anything about any example of his work that inspires anything creative in my craven mind.

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2021 4:21 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2021 5:28 AM

R65, I really don't understand why "I and the Village" is Chagall's most famous painting. Its artistic merit is lost on me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2021 5:30 AM

Sorry about R66. I've been drinking cooking sherry again.

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2021 5:31 AM

"Brunette Odalisque" by François Boucher. For the same reasons as Fragonard --- too "refined", too frivolous, too decadent, (too fat). Generally speaking, I like much of the baroque architecture, the elaborate clothing, etc. of the time period but this painting is an example of the worst aspects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2021 5:46 AM

I don't like the ideal of feminine beauty that many Northern European artists had during the Renaissance.

The Judgement of Paris by Lucas Cranach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2021 5:55 AM

This. I’m not even sure what you call it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2021 6:04 AM

^^scroll down a little.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2021 6:05 AM

Yikes, R71. Those paintings can give you nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2021 6:36 AM

Banksy has scammed everyone. It’s always fun to see when a landlord paints over or sells a wall and outrages the community. You know he’s jumped the shark when you see people buy Etsy stencils to paint their own. There are several of those in my neighbourhood. It’s just become trite now.

by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2021 7:14 AM

I hate anything non-figurative. FWUUUUUUCK the abstract expressionists. Most 1960s-70s pop-art. And also conceptual art. And performance art, goddamnit!

I generally love everything from ancient art, to world folk art/non-Western, to the European masters, up to and including many of the Modernists. I especially love German expressionistic painting post WWI, midcentury British printmaking, and American WPA-style social realism. But when artists hide lack of talent behind word salad artist statements - and get too clever and self-aware for their own good, ANNNND expect other people to fall for it - which they often do - well, fuck that noise, says I!

Funny enough, I'm a big fan of "lowbrow" art, pop-surrealism cartoons, illustration, etc - perhaps not the height of sophistication, but at least it is honest, and doesn't put on airs. Literally just reveling in pure sensory delights, without the need for a goddamn master's thesis to enjoy or understand it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2021 7:38 AM

Do you like Glenn Barr’s art, r75?

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2021 7:44 AM

Hunter’s finger paintings.

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2021 2:11 PM

The Mona Lisa - the original basic bitch!

by Anonymousreply 78October 15, 2021 3:58 PM

This painting is just bizarre. Virgin and Child by Jean Fouquet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 15, 2021 9:56 PM

Benefits Supervisor Sleeping by Lucian Freud

So honest, so brave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 15, 2021 9:59 PM

I like Kandinsky and I don't think it's pretentious (his paintings).

by Anonymousreply 81October 15, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] For the same reasons as Fragonard --- too "refined", too frivolous, too decadent, (too fat).

R69, I like your post. Fragonard is something they teach you in school. I guess it (the swing, etc.) was a good example of that type of painting, i.e., "textbook," literally and figuratively.

I think it's well-done (the Swing) and I do enjoy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 15, 2021 10:09 PM

Michael Jackson and Bubbles by Jeff Koons

The kind of kitsch that makes me cringe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 15, 2021 10:10 PM

Linkletter.

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2021 10:10 PM

I've seen that sculpture in person, R83, I forgot where I saw it. I don't understand the point of it. MJ was over-the-top. I think Koons was trying to take that extravagance and magnify it (?). What he created was actually very static and stagnant. The real MJ with Bubbles was more of a spectacle than the gold-gilded Koons sculpture. Not sure what Koons was trying to express.

by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2021 10:13 PM

Robert Ryman

Ellsworth Kelly

Clifford Styll

Agnes Martin

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2021 10:15 PM

Margaret Keane is the absolute WORST:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2021 10:23 PM

Show me some love, fellas!

by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2021 10:32 PM

The MJ and Bubbles sculpture is at the Broad Museum in Los Angeles, r85

by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2021 10:39 PM

Thanks, R89. I've never been to the Broad in LA. The Broad Museum opened in 2015 and I've never been there. I must have seen it in San Francisco or while it was traveling.

[quote] Three of the Michael Jackson and Bubbles sculpture were made. One was sold at Sotheby's on 15 May 2001, when it was auctioned off to the record price of 5.6 million dollars.[1] The artist's proof is owned by the Broad Art Foundation of businessman and art collector Eli Broad and is displayed in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (It is now at The Broad Museum in Downtown Los Angeles). The two other versions are in Oslo in the Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art[4] and in the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.[5]

by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 10:46 PM

Someone upthread already mentioned Thomas Kinkade, but I would also like to add:

This old cunt, P. Buckley Moss. She paints stupid ass pictures of Amish people and Canadian geese.

I worked in framing 20 years ago and the people who would bring prints in from either of these two were the *worst* to deal with. They would take forever to decide upon mats and frames. Yet they would all wind up choosing the same fucking colors and frames. I always wanted to just tell them straight to their faces, "look, I've got 20 of these pieces on the shelves in the back, I already know what color mats and frames you're going to settle upon!"

Another one would be Peter Max. Especially when he started selling prints of his work on QVC. He would have his staffers - probably some minimum wage workers in a warehouse - embellish each of these prints with a few smears of paint to make it look like Max himself did it.

I woul

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2021 12:54 AM

Pip & Pop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2021 1:45 AM

Mark Kostabi - a fraud and a douchebag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2021 2:12 AM

R91, I worked in a frame shop, ahem ... art gallery, years ago as well. In retrospect, the gallery's main income came from doing elaborate (expensive) mats and frames on cheesy prints (brought in from outside the gallery). The owner kept telling me how much money / commission I was supposed to be making selling the art in the gallery. I was paid pretty much minimum wage due to all these commissions I was supposed to be making.

I was also supposed to help people choose out their mats / frames, in addition to all this selling I was supposed to be doing. (Foot traffic was low and the owner funneled all the best customers to his son.)

The highest-paid employee was the guy in back who actually cut the mats and pieced together the frames. He was actually cool and did deserve the highest pay. We went to lunch a couple of times and, in retrospect, I appreciate that he told me how much $ he was making b/c he definitely didn't have to tell me.

I was also a cigarette smoker then and would smoke outside the shop. The shop owner was a bitter ex-smoker and resented that I could still smoke.

Anyway, I quit that job pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2021 3:58 AM

Oh my, R92. It does grab your attention though.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 4:34 AM

Hunt Slonem and his fucking rabbits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2021 6:01 AM

R93 interesting article. After reading it, I cam to the conclusion Kostabi is "on the spectrum", especially this bit;

[quote]Asked who the real Mark Kostabi is, the veteran dealer and longtime friend struggles to come up with an answer. “Mark isn’t like a regular person,” says Barnes in a way that conveys both awe and pity. “He thinks more like a computer than a human. He doesn’t show any weakness. If you said, ‘I just broke up with someone,’ he wouldn’t understand what you were talking about.”

Not so much a douche bag as autistic

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2021 6:19 AM

Just about every work where the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" requires reversal to make any sense of it at all.

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2021 6:34 AM

The Michael Jackson and Bubbles sculpture is really too much, R85. I can't imagine having it in your home and having to look at it every day. Just too creepy.

I do like Koons' balloon dogs. That's the right kind of kitsch --- slick and fun and whimsical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2021 6:54 AM

Kullervo's curse by Akseli Gallen-Kallela

I just hate everything about his head, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2021 7:11 AM

R82, you like the Boucher painting at R69? How standards of sexiness have changed. Maybe the Odalisque's Rubenesque figure would appeal more to straight guys than to me, a gay man. There's something about the way her fleshy rear end is posed that's a little too sexually provocative, a little too vulgar. Another thing that really bugs me about Boucher is that he draws women's faces in a stylized way and they all look very similar --- big eyes, bow lips, eg . compare the Odalisque at R69 to Diana After the Hunt, which is linked below. Why not draw individuals?

True, Fragonard and Boucher are mentioned in all art history books but their aesthetic sense is not my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2021 7:16 AM

Wow, R100. Like something out of a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2021 7:18 AM

[quote] [R82], you like the Boucher painting at [R69]?

R101, no, I don't like the Boucher at R69. I can understand why you don't like it. I was just saying that I do like Fragonard's Swing painting despite similarities, frivolity.

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2021 7:26 AM

R79 is the stuff that nightmares are made of.

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2021 5:25 PM

Yayoi Kusama

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2021 7:13 PM

Rodin's the Thinker. I don't understand why it's considered a great piece of art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2021 8:46 PM

Rodin's thinker is usually displayed as a self-standing monumental piece, but it was designed as part of the Gates of Hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]Rodin's the Thinker. I don't understand why it's considered a great piece of art.

Because he's a hot man who looks like he's sitting on a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2021 9:55 PM

I love almost all of these, except for the Trump garbage.

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2021 9:56 PM

R55 Frédéric Bazille makes me wet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2021 11:18 PM

R106 He appeals to the sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2021 11:36 PM

Julian Schnabel's work looks dumberer every day.

by Anonymousreply 112October 16, 2021 11:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 16, 2021 11:54 PM

The boys are hot in R110, but Bazille's complete failure to grasp the basic principles of proportion, perspective, coloring, and anything else is on full display there. No figure looks to be in the same picture as the other figures; no figure's body parts all look as if they belonged to the same body. It looks like a paint-by-number mashup. Meanwhile Eakins was doing that subject like a real artist.

by Anonymousreply 114October 16, 2021 11:57 PM

My first visit to the Tate I dashed to see an original Salvatore Dali. It was so small!

by Anonymousreply 115October 16, 2021 11:57 PM

I don’t care for Van Gogh. I was offered free tickets to that immersion show the other night and passed. I know.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2021 12:24 AM

The Thinker makes much more sense as a work of art in context — as Dante contemplating the horrors of Hell — than just a guy, you know, thinking.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2021 1:07 AM

As a painter of boys bathing, Bazille has nothing on Henry Scott Tuke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2021 1:29 AM

R114 One artist was looking towards the past, the other the future. It's a question of taste. Bazille's sensuality and experimentalism weren't for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 119October 17, 2021 2:13 AM

I think most austrian dataloungers will agree with me: The covid memorial in Graz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 17, 2021 5:36 AM

This lovely:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 17, 2021 5:52 AM

"We Come in Peace" by Huma Bhabha.

It's in the sculpture garden of the Hirshorn Museum in Washington D.C. I sure hope it's a temporary installation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 17, 2021 6:00 AM

R120 You've already got a covid memorial? Now that's efficiency!

by Anonymousreply 123October 17, 2021 6:08 AM

R121 wins

by Anonymousreply 124October 17, 2021 2:16 PM

witch on a turd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Speaking of turds...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 17, 2021 4:50 PM

Koons.

I've seen a few exhibitions of his works and I get what he's aiming for - I just don't think he lands it very often. It's a fine line between parody and celebrating something that one finds revolting and I just don't think the styles or media he's working in helps him make those point clearly.

I will say he's a handsome guy and apparently has a nice cock, but he seems like a gigantic douche.

by Anonymousreply 127October 17, 2021 6:16 PM

Koons said (re: MJ and Bubbles):

[quote] I wanted to create him in a very god-like icon manner. But I always liked the radicality of Michael Jackson; that he would do absolutely anything that was necessary to be able to communicate with people. Koons has stated that he was also inspired by the triangular composition of Michelangelo's Pietà. Koons claims that he wanted to depict Jackson as a new redemptive figure who enables people to discover their own cultural mythology.

I think he missed the mark, based on his own terms. The whole thing is just flat, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 17, 2021 6:23 PM

Showcase on stand (Scarabattola), late 17th century, Italian, Rome

In the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Something about the look of this cabinet irks me. Baroque gone bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2021 9:57 PM

The paintings with the kids with the big eyes always freaked me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2021 10:09 PM

R129 thats quite cool actually. I'd grab it if I saw it at auction for a price I could afford

by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2021 10:12 PM

I completely agree R131 I love things that are both beautifully made and completely nuts like that. If I had the money I’d flank it with a pair of my favorite Memphis displays and fill then with Cabinet of Curiosities oddities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 21, 2021 2:25 AM

Bravo, r6

The commercialization of art has fucked art

by Anonymousreply 133October 21, 2021 4:04 AM

Evening dress designed by Christian Lacroix for Jean Patou, 1987. Tacky disaster. The dress is in the Costume Institute at the Met.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 28, 2021 7:27 PM

Third Class Carriage by Daumier. Too much depressing realness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 31, 2021 7:08 PM

Italian Eugene De Blaas was highly acclaimed by the British academy in his day. His work is beyond hideous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2021 11:19 AM

Why is it hideous to you?

by Anonymousreply 137November 2, 2021 5:03 AM

I despise pre-Raphaelite art!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 2, 2021 5:13 AM

I don't really mind that, R138. I'm just not crazy about the subdued color palette.

I really hate this Rococo étagère by Alexander Roux from the 1850s. It looks like it was designed by a gay man who's lost his mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139November 2, 2021 5:31 AM

[quote]I love almost all of these, except for the Trump garbage.

I concur, R109, but without the qualifier 'almost' for everything sans the Trump garbage. Besides that, and kitsch like the card-playing dogs/Presidents, I cannot recall any art that I could not appreciate on the merits in which it was intended. Even OP's homely portrait, which belongs to the categories of 'folk' or 'naive' art, which share a degree of overlap.

That doesn't mean that I would select any or every piece of art to exhibit in my house, but that I like them for what they are. Ugly or startling art are among my favorites; I love art that challenges me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2021 5:39 AM

This painting of Elizabeth Farren by Sir Thomas Lawrence. There's so many things about this painting that bug me --- the hair, the furs, her pose and facial expression. Too precious and contrived. It looks like it should be on the cover of a trashy historical romance novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2021 5:40 AM

Abstract: Rothko, Kandinsky, Miro, Pollock, etc.

Neo-expressionism: Basquiat, Schnabel (exception: his broken plate art), Baskin, Bosman, Slonem, etc.

Cubism/Fauvism: Picasso, Braque, Metzinger, etc.

Naive: Keane, Rousseau, Delacroix, etc.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2021 6:12 AM

Delacroix was a naive painter? I thought he was a Romantic artist. I think his "Death of Sardanapalus" is a bit much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2021 6:16 AM

Botero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2021 6:23 AM

[quote]Delacroix was a naive painter?

R143 "Michel Delacroix (born 1933) is a French painter in the "naif" style." (Wikipedia, Michel Delacroix)

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2021 6:28 AM

I don't hate Vincent van Gogh, but I never really seem to "get into" his paintings. The craftsmanship and artistry are undeniable, but for some reason, they just don't grab me.

Same goes for Mondriaan: His works seem so pedestrian in today's light, but his stuff was groundbreaking back in the early 20th century.

I don't much like the works of Henri Matisse.

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2021 6:36 AM

R143 The caffeine's kicked in. Eugene Delacroix is indeed an artist of the Romanticism/Romantic school. Michel Delacroix (no relation) is the naif artist.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2021 7:04 AM

[quote]I don't much like the works of Henri Matisse.

Is this a joke?

by Anonymousreply 148November 3, 2021 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!