Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michael Parkinson offers olive branch to Meg Ryan 18 years after car crash interview

Sir Michael Parkinson has apologised for being “pompous” towards Meg Ryan 18 years after a car-crash interview.

The now 86-year-old host grilled the Harry Met Sally star in a skin-crawling 2003 chat whilst she was promoting critically panned erotic thriller In The Cut.

Ryan, now 59, faced off with an unusually prickly Parkinson after allegedly being rude to her fellow guests on the show, the fashion double act Trinny and Susannah.

While the interview has gone down in history as one of the most memorable of Sir Michael’s career for all the wrong reasons, he has now offered an apology to Ryan.

Speaking to the Radio Times, he said: “I wish I hadn’t lost my temper with Meg Ryan. I wish I’d dealt with it in a more courteous manner. I was quite obviously angry with her and it’s not my business to be angry towards the guests. I came across as kind of pompous and I could have done better.”

Asked what he would say to Ryan if he saw her again, Sir Michael said: “I’m sorry. But you must understand that you played a part in it, too. Neither of us were on top form, and we were both discomforted.”

Sir Michael had previously slammed Ryan for being ”an unhappy woman” at the end of a punishing tour promoting an unpopular movie.

Ryan for her part branded him a ”nut” and said he had spoken to her “like a disapproving dad” in another interview in Marie Claire.

She said: “I don’t even know the man. That guy was like some disapproving father! It’s crazy. I don’t know what he is to you guys, but he’s a nut. I felt like he was berating me for being naked in the movie.

“He said something like: ‘You should go back to doing what you were doing’. And I thought, are you like a disapproving dad right now? I’m not even related to you. Back off, buddy. I was so offended by him.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 7:18 AM

Fuck off, you chav trash OP with your "SIR MICHAEL" bullshit and your incessant trolling this website. There's a reason your ghoulish little country and its people are so despised, and it isn't just you. It's also, "Sir Michael" and everyone else on that shitty, rainy little island.

Now go away.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 1:00 AM

Her body language is leaning away from him, but I think she defended herself admirably- with good humor.

Isn't that the role that virtually ground her career to a halt?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 1:43 AM

She seems perfectly lovely here and she’s getting his combative attitude from one side and then Susannah’s catty commentary on her shoes. People seem to project a lot onto her, it doesn’t surprise me she retreated from fame.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 1:49 AM

The trouble was is she had leaned hard into the image she had from 90s rom-coms, and then she wanted to break free from it and do something different. But the film was awful. AND this was at the same time she left her husband for cRusty Crowe, too. AND she tried to give her face a makeover by injecting her lips, and it was a disaster.

I think if she had made all those changes more slowly rather than all at once, people would have been okay with it; but she was too eager to change into someone new on a professional, personal, and physical level.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 2:11 AM

She's very articulate in that interview. Her real personality is quite introverted, a lot different from her peppy cutesy characters

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 7:12 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 7:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!