Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Shameless' star Emma Kenney on Emmy Rossum: "If she had a bad day, she made it a bad day for everybody"

Emma Kenney is reflecting on her decade-long run on Shameless now that the hit show has ended. The 22-year-old actress, who played Debbie Gallagher, appeared on Wednesday's episode of the Call Her Daddy podcast and got candid about her relationship with former co-star and on-screen sister, Emmy Rossum.

Kenney said it "one hundred percent" felt like a sibling relationship with Rossum, 35, "in good and bad ways, to be honest."

"We were both so young, I was obviously a lot younger. There were times where she would try to be a good influence and then there were times where she'd be blatantly giving me not the best advice," Kenney told host Alex Cooper. "Maybe she was struggling with her own inner problems and taking it out on other people, but we all handle situations differently."

When asked if she felt like people were pinning the two against each other, Kenney replied, "I felt that dynamic for sure and I never understood it."

"I was 9 and she was over 10 years older than me, so I'm like why is there a weird competition here when I'm not trying to compete?" she continued. "I don't know if it was other people on set creating that, or if it was her creating it, but I know I wasn't creating it."

Rossum left the show in 2018 after nine seasons, which Kenney called "bittersweet."

"I have a lot of love for Emmy, I've known her for so long. We haven't spoken in years... but that's okay. I have a lot of love for her, and I hope that she finds her happiness," Kenney continued. "I heard she had a baby and that's beautiful and I'm sure she's going to be a lovely mother." (Rossum and husband Sam Esmail secretly welcomed a baby girl in May.)

Kenney went on to discuss how the dynamic on set changed after Rossum's departure.

"It was weird at first for sure but it also — the set became a little bit more of a positive place, I'm not gonna lie," she admitted. "I remember pre [Rossum] leaving, I'd go to set some days and I'd be very anxious about having a scene with her because if she had a bad day, she made it a bad day for everybody."

Kenney credited co-star Shanola Hampton, who played Veronica Fisher, with being "a second mom" and "big sister" on set.

"She's always been there for me, was always giving me good, sound advice," she added.

Rossum did not appear in the final season of Shameless much to the disappointment of fans, but the showrunner said it wasn't for a lack of effort on either side.

"You know, she very much wanted to, and we wanted her to. It just hit at just the wrong time with the continuing shutdown. She lives in New York, and you know, we were trying to make it work, but there were quarantine setups that were in there if she came out to LA. We couldn’t figure out how to do it in a way that would work with her schedule," John Wells told Deadline. "So, it was disappointing for everybody, and we would've loved to have her back, and she wanted to come back, but it was one of those things that couldn't get done during the pandemic."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 12:52 AM

So to summarize the article, Emma Kenney thinks that Emmy Rossum is a CUNT.

Why didn't she just come out and say that?

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 12:44 AM

Well played, Emma!

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 12:46 AM

[quote]We haven't spoken in years... but that's okay. I..."I heard she had a baby and that's beautiful and I'm sure she's going to be a lovely mother.

But co-stars are supposed to be close for life!

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote] We haven't spoken in years... but that's okay. I..."I heard she had a baby and that's beautiful and I'm sure she's going to be a lovely mother

Rofl.

Talk about being passive-aggressive!

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 12:54 AM

Heh good for Emma. I can't stand people who spread their misery around. I like that "if she's having a bad day we all were". I know too many people like this

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 12:58 AM

There's nothing shocking about this story. Emma Rossum has always come across as an entitled cunt.

If a co-worker says they are anxious around you, there is something wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote]Kenney credited co-star Shanola Hampton, who played Veronica Fisher, with being "a second mom" and "big sister" on set. "She's always been there for me, was always giving me good, sound advice," she added.

This makes me happy. They all seem to have great things to say about Shanola. Cameron Monaghan talked about living with her and her family when he broke his leg, she took care of him and she carted him around.

Class act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 1:23 AM

I vaguely recall hearing something about William Macy confronting Rossum on set or having a spat of some sort. This was several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 1:36 AM

I find it interesting that as soon as Emmy left Noel (Mickey) became a cast regular again.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 1:37 AM

She’s misunderstood!

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 1:38 AM

I always thought she was a beautiful cunt with a nice voice

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 1:43 AM

Think of me... think of me fondly, when we say goodbye!

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote]I vaguely recall hearing something about William Macy confronting Rossum on set or having a spat of some sort. This was several years ago.

I remember their being rumors about her demanding the same salary as him. To be fair, at that point (years in) she had been carrying the show.

Also I knew she'd been brought up in one of the gossip threads before which would seem to agree with this. I mean, if your former costar isn't saying nice things about you (rather than saying nothing at all) then you must have been a terror. It's obvious she's not saying some things.

Reply 238:

[quote]Emmy Rossum is a pretentious cunt who has made life on the Shameless set hell for the past few years. The cast, with the exception of Bill Macy, is thrilled she's gone. Cameron Monaghan is rumored to have left because he couldn't take her anymore. As soon as she announced she was leaving, he made a deal to return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 1:53 AM

Meow. I smell some jealousy from the less pretty and less fat Emm.

Tacky tacky tacky.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 2:33 AM

Yeah, or she’s just telling the truth about the cunt Rossum, R14. She’s evidently not the only person who had that opinion of her.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 3:09 AM

I can't wait to hear all the "Emma Rossum is a cunt" stories from other actors and crew workers who worked with her.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 3:14 AM

R13 Weird how people somehow inflate salary negotiations to bad behavior. She was the star of the show for nine years. Macy could have been written out at any time and went long stretches with barely having storylines. Her reps were right to push for salary increases. They would have done that anyway. The presence of Macy's salary due to his status when the show began--that was just lucky for her and made the request more reasonable.

Salary demands have nothing to do with being an asshole or a bitch. It's also not something the talent ever speaks about directly with the network.

Even crazy salary demands are ok. If the network wants to say no, thats their right too. Whats not ok is being a miserable bitch on set.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 4:25 AM

R17, Completely agree. She deserved that raise. It was basically her show at that point. What's even funnier is that, whenever anyone would talk about what was going on over the years on set, Bill Macy was always left out of it. He seemed to like her. Not just from what that post I linked at R13 said here on Datalounge, but if anyone ever gave a second hand or anon first hand account anywhere (that sounded remotely legit) they always mentioned that she and Bill got along. It was everyone else that had varying issues with her.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't fully support her in getting a raise.

Someone found this elsewhere. Here's the producer/showrunner on Emmy. What's really interesting happens around 1:48 when he starts talking about her reputation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 5:24 AM

I’ve seen lots of rumors for years about her being a cunt on set and delaying shoots if something wasn’t to her liking. Seems like most of the cast hated her. I remember people noticing that Shanola and Emma both unfollowed her on social media pretty soon after she left the show. She likely has a reputation for being difficult to work with hence the only project she has lined up is something her husband put her in.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 6:10 AM

Not surprised. Her husband is an asshole, too.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 6:37 AM

Well, some of being more shameless then others now the show is done.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 6:41 AM

[quote] “I have a lot of love for Emmy, I've known her for so long” Kenney said, twisting the knife as she spoke.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 6:43 AM

The writing in Shameless really started to deteriorate five years into the show. I think the writers ran out of ideas so they just came up with bullshit problems for the characters to overcome. Fiona acts like a hopeless fuck-up and failure just because Liam got into some cocaine, nevermind the fact the she single-handedly ran that house for years and never regularly used drugs. She had to get a job as a diner waitress and start earnestly fixing problems she didn't have. Lip gets drunk sometimes and then decides he's a raging alcoholic. Cue the Lip stories about how everyday is a fight to contain his alcoholism. Carl does a personality 180 and decided to become a cop. For some reason he thinks he needs to go to military school to get this career. Anyone can be a cop, I'm not even sure you need a GED. I think Joan Cusack knew the show was about to drive off a cliff and that's why she bailed.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 6:58 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 7:07 AM

She may have been a bitch, but she CARRIED the show. R23 is right, the writing went off a cliff. When Rossum left, there was no reason to watch.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 7:25 PM

I barely stuck with the show through its terrible lows after Noel Fisher departed. But with Fisher and Cameron Monaghan reunited, there were some decent plotlines for the couple. Shameless should have ended after the Ian/Mickey wedding, so many lost opportunities in the final season.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 7:43 PM

R18 Even if they were very close friends in real life (meaning spending time off set together), there would be no circumstance where Macy would "support" her (agents) request for a raise. It is very strictly a discussion between Rossum, her agents, and her agents and the network. She never speaks to the network about it. If she was friends with the showtime exec on the show and they happened to chat a few times per week in person or on the phone, they either wouldn't be talking during that time or avoid the subject entirely. There's really good reasons for this. Contracts just aren't discussed among talent, between producers and talent, etc. If Rossum's contract called for a fresh banana every day and she wasn't getting it, she calls or texts her agent and they call the network and the network relays to the producer to get that banana on her plate.

The Friends renegotiation where they teamed up and the Seinfeld situation where the three non-Seinfeld cast members teamed up can happen on a blockbuster show. The home improvement kids also teamed up late in the series when it was time to renegotiate. This is really something that exists more as agreements between their agents as a negotiating tactic and only works on massive hits when it makes sense. Shameless was not a blockbuster. It was a great performer for the network and the massive cast meant pretty much anyone was expendable.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]there would be no circumstance where Macy would "support" her (agents) request for a raise.

You're absolutely not interpreting what I said correctly. I never said he would have known about it during discussions. He would have known about it after the fact in which case he may not have given a shit.

What I said was.

[quote]I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't fully support her in getting a raise.

As in she would have already had it. (And he's also a genuinely kind person in person.)

Also you said,

[quote]Contracts just aren't discussed among talent, between producers and talent, etc.

Which is also a lot of bullshit. People find out things. Hell, it happens in regular workplaces as well. People talk. There's not a single actor or actress who didn't find out / were tipped off that someone else was making more than them at some point, especially when there's an inequity between actors who should be on the same level.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2021 5:48 PM

Rossum has often appeared a bit entitled and full of herself. She's had a strange career, with a lot of early, high-profile roles that got her attention but never seemed to really lead anywhere, like MYSTIC RIVER, DAY AFTER TOMORROW, and PHANTOM. Hard to believe she's 35 now.

She's undeniably talented and has a strong presence onscreen. And a beauty. I think she would have been a huge star back in the old studio era, where they would have showcased her talents and looks.

Emma Kenney sounds very down-to-earth, but she really only has a fraction of what Rossum has to offer, frankly. And it was better used on SHAMELESS than on THE CONNERS.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2021 6:11 PM

What are they using her on The Connors as?

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 6:17 PM

R29 holy shit I didn't realize she was the one playing Darlene's daughter! When the last season of Roseanne was getting buzz they acted like scoring the Sara Gilbert lookalike Emma Kenney was some rare find but Emma was already on a long running hit show...

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2021 6:20 PM

I honestly liked the show better without Emmy. And the excuse about her not showing up on the finale because of covid restrictions - kinda lame. They could have had her appear by FaceTime these days, explaining she couldn’t make it for Frank’s death, etc. Makes me think she probably didn’t want any tot do with it, and they were happy to oblige.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2021 6:24 PM

Did Emmy get an Emmy for playing her Shameless Character? And if she did how far away from the EGOT is she?

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2021 6:25 PM

Poor Emma Kenney, can only get work as a white trash daughter

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2021 6:28 PM

I like Emma for spilling the dirt about Emmy. She does seem like an entitled bitch to me.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2021 6:28 PM

Don’t forget Minnie Driver’s story about Emmy on the Phantom set

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2021 6:34 PM

I thought I read that she pitched a fit over the nudity and how graphic and long some of her sex scenes were. Basically she felt her tits were carrying the show, and in later seasons got the nudity reduced to one or maybe two episodes per season.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2021 7:05 PM

Hmmm. John Wells' remarks on not being able to make it work with Emmy. Didn't he say something similar about Ellen Barkin (Animal Kingdom)? Too lazy to look it up.

But sounds like two toxic entities were edged out of each show. I had read somewhere that Barkin kept everyone on set on their toes. That could be taken a number of ways. Wonder if anyone will come out and say what really happened there?

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2021 8:10 PM

R37, that’s ridiculous. Jeremy Allen White’s ass was carrying the show.

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2021 10:48 PM

Emma Kenney has presented as a bit of a problem child herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2021 10:51 PM

The show went on twice as long as it should've. It was crazy reading the creator's interviews about each year's "fresh new stories".

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2021 11:00 PM

I buy that r38. I love Barkin as an actress but she's crazy and none of her characters seemed to miss her when she left (I could be wrong).

OMG r36 - that is hilarious. I love Minnie and Schumacher (RIP) even more now. She really was over the top but she was just doing her job and how she was being directed. Who the fuck did Rossum think she was? Wasn't that one of her first roles?

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 12:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!