Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marlon Brando on Michael Jackson (1990 interview)

Interview with Marlon Brando Conducted, by phone, by James Grissom 1991

The talent was like lightning--sharp and bright and dangerous. The addiction to fame, attention, love and husbanding, was toxic, unending. The primary function now, I think, is destruction and erection: Destruction of the biography, history, and reality of the person Michael Jackson, and the erection of the desired, artificial artifact that the world must always remember as "Michael Jackson."

He is a construct, and a construct whose scaffolding is suffused with hatred.

If his talent attracted me, it was our mutual hatred of our fathers that bonded us. I have been involved in the healing, the revision, the understanding of my father, but Michael has been desperately seeking to remove all vestiges of his father from his mind, his body, his face, and his memory. I do not know why, nor do I care to find out. Whenever Michael seeks to walk down those dark hallways, I change the subject. In the healing process, particularly with our fathers, our parents, we need to apply love first. Let love be the hallway you walk down. I say this after years of hatred--obvious and hidden--dominated my thoughts and actions toward my father. It does not work.

Michael equates abuses of all kinds with his father and with all black men. Black is bestial to Michael, and while he admired me for my actions in the cause of civil rights, he has never asked me a single thing about why I fought in this way, or who I knew who had been discriminated against, abused, or anything about the abhorrent history of racism in this country. Not a thing. He only wanted to know about the famous black shoulders I had rubbed in this world. His comment about two of them--James Baldwin and Miles Davis--was identical: "They so black!" Judgment and dismissal.

Some of the most creative people in the world are myths, constructs, figments. Read the early biographies I wrote for playbills when I began. Fiction. Caprice. Petulance. Irene Worth was called by Tennessee [Williams] "The Goddess of Re-Invention," and he was right. Everything was revised, but in her case so that she could more clearly arrive at truth and beauty. Michael revises to vanquish his very identity, his true heritage.

I have heard Michael say things about black men that are as abrasive and virulent as anything uttered by the Klansmen and disgruntled people who hurled insults at me as I marched for civil rights. Fear is the basis, I think, of racism, and as a white man, I might feel that a black man is taking something from me, is superior to me, is planning revenge on me for what my people have done to his people. Or all of the above. But Michael is racist because he cannot fathom being black at all. For him there is no beauty in anything I can tell him about his lineage. There is only the father. There is only the unwanted black person who cannot walk in the front door or be with the better people. Michael equates white with acceptance, and on he goes in pursuit of the purest white.

Killing the father. Killing himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2021 10:28 PM

Is this interview also fake DL?

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 10:32 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 12:24 AM

R1 It seems too detailed for that.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 3:03 PM

Is this real?

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 3:08 PM

R4 DL told me James Grissom is a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 3:12 PM

Michael has said that he vomited in fear of his father because of the beatings he received.

“Begin with love?”

He was under no obligation to love the man who viciously abused and terrorized him.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2021 7:28 PM

And then he fucked Shelly Winters... up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2021 8:57 PM

Marlon was right. Michael was a self-hating Black man. He was extremely self-conscious of being Black and wanted to be accepted into White America so bad. He begrudgingly hopped on new jack swing to stay relevant. Then later hip-hop and pro-Black aesthetics in desperate attempts to strengthen his Black audience, after White America dumped him due to the molestation trials and ridiculous plastic surgery. His death redeemed his legacy to Americans, both Black and white. I'm Black and I can see MJ hated himself just like Kanye does. I mean, La Toya, Janet and Jermaine had awful plastic surgery but never tried to look white like Mike did. In comparison, Prince was a colorist (like many older light-skinned folks of his generation were) but he was never anti-Black and he always had a strong social consciousness and incorporated so much Black music and culture into his albums.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2021 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!