Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ghosts on CBS

Anybody seen it? Seems to be one of the best reviewed new sitcom show. It's adapted from BBC . I have no idea what it's all about when I started watching but I quite enjoyed it so far. It's set in a B&B haunted by various ghosts - including a gay one and a hot yuppie guy. I think CBS might have hit show on its hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 16, 2024 5:06 AM

I only watched the pilot. Just awful. I don't remember if I finished it. But Asher Grodman, who plays Trevor (T-Money), is very much my type, which may bring me back to watch more. The gay character is, shall we say, more Datalounge-aged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 9:34 PM

I love the British version, so I'm more than willing to give this a try.

Charlotte Ritchie is one my favourite actresses, so it will be interesting to see how the lead in the American version-Rose McIver- fares.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 9:35 PM

The BBC version can be viewed on HBO Max - two seasons.

I will watch the US version as long as they are not simply redoing the UK episodes. I’ll give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 9:36 PM

Actually, R3, they have three seasons on HBO Max now. The British version is a great show. I'll try the American version, but I have a feeling it won't be as good.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 9:38 PM

Can't stand Brandon Scott Jones. God forbid they get someone better for the one gay character

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 9:44 PM

The actor playing the gay character on the UK version is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]Seems to be one of the best reviewed new sitcom show. It's adapted from BBC .

The American version of Ghosts makes better decisions than the BBC version of Ghosts with the characters.

The leads (especially the husband) aren't stupid in the American one. He's goofy but it never goes too far.

The changes to the cast ghost "types" make sense and I find them more interesting than the BBC one with a couple of exceptions. There's no "super happy" ghost like Kitty in this one but we get a flower child. Changing the MP to a Finance Douche Bro works here. I'm happy the poet character is gone. I did like the "Captain" character from the BBC one better than the gay character we have here. (I do like that actor who is on "The Other Two" though.)

Things seem to be moving more swiftly than in the BBC one.

It might turn out to be like "Being Human" where the American version was much better than the BBC one.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2021 10:17 PM

The American Being Human wasn't remotely as good as the British one. The whole 'vampires as mafia' thing wrecked the dynamics completely and the werewolf actor was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2021 10:29 PM

[quote]The American Being Human wasn't remotely ...

This isn't even a debate. The American Being human managed to maintain the same cast the entire run without actors fleeing into the night.

Aiden Turner and Sinead Keenan left in Season 3. Lenora Crichlow left in Season 4. Russell Tovey dropped down to featured before he left before Season 5.

It had 37 episodes over five seasons and the show blew after Aiden Turner split.

The American one managed to tell a complete story with the same characters the entire run. Nothing was rushed because someone wanted OUT.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2021 11:56 PM

I tried it for Rose McIver (loved her on iZombie), and I'm surprised that I like a show on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 12:38 AM

I watched the pilot and it had a few good moments but wasn't very impressed. then i watched the bbc original and it is far far better

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 12:55 AM

I liked it okay. I will give it a few more viewings to see if it gets better. They can lose the hippy and smarmy indian though.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 12:59 AM

I like how the cast play multiple roles in the UK version.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 1:11 AM

Fucking ghosts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 1:41 AM

R14, love, love, love that show!

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 1:52 AM

There were numerous references to Newhart on last night’s episode.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2021 11:00 PM

I really like it so far. I think it might be the only network comedy I watch.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2021 11:17 PM

I've watched all 4 episodes back to back just now.

Best sitcom that I've seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2021 3:01 AM

They gave it a full season order a few days ago.

The show is doing well.

It's the No. 8 ranked scripted show in 18-49 and No. 10 in total viewership on the network even beating out Bob Hearts Abishola.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2021 4:08 AM

Im all about the Viking. Just me?

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2021 4:13 AM

I just realized the Viking (Devan Long) played Flex Mentallo on HBO Max's "Doom Patrol" for a few episodes.

When he flexes he can alter reality so he runs around in a pair of leopard print trunks the entire time.

In one episode he flexes and accidentally makes everyone cum. (Seriously)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2021 4:22 AM

Tonight's Halloween episode was very good. It's a great set of characters to build a series upon. I especially like the Indian.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2021 3:01 AM

Every time Thor speaks,I get a funny feeling in my dirty bits. I love the way he growls ! I like this show so far,it could really develop if they give it time. I can think of all manner of scenarios where they could use the ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2021 3:22 AM

What surprises me is that the American version is more ethnically diverse than the BBC version!

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2021 3:09 PM

There better be a TRANS ghost, or else!

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2021 3:15 PM

I’m with r11. I really want to like this and it does have its moments…still the BBC series on HBO Max is much better. I liked Rose McIver on I Zombie but find her slightly annoying here. Charlotte Ritchie in the UK show plays it perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2021 3:23 PM

The I believe third episode where they held a dinner party, the native American wasn't in it, the cast is so large I didn't even miss him until the preview of the next episode showed him. Wonder why they left him out of that episode.

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2021 3:24 PM

R27, he definitely wasn't in it which was both very noticeable (because he is the best one) and very odd. It isn't like he could go anywhere else. The actor has great facial expressions and line readings. The headless guy is also a no-show after the first episode other than walking through the background last week.

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2021 3:56 PM

Which ghost on the American show is the gay one? The Revolutionary War officer?

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote] Which ghost on the American show is the gay one?

Are you the headless one?

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2021 5:28 PM

Of the eight episodes IMDb is crediting so far, only Pete and Issac among the ghosts have been in all eight so far. Alberta, Trevor and Flower have been in seven episodes, Thorfinn and Sasappis have been in six episode and Hetty has only been in five episodes. The headless guy isn't even credited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2021 12:43 PM

It might not sweep the Emmys, but I am enjoying it. It almost has an old-school sitcom feel to it and is a bit of comfort food.

The husband is a good fit for the part, but not as hot as the soldier seems to feel he is, especially, when the Viking and Trevor and Sasappis are right there and the soldier never makes comments about there looks. Now if it was Rose's last TV love interest, Robert Buckley...

Any show that has Newhart be a big plot point and an on-point Julia Robert - Lyle Lovett reference can't be all bad. The show has a lot of clever throw-away lines.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2021 2:24 PM

I bet there's no physical hijinks. Millennials are terrified of looking foolish.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2021 4:37 PM

I really do miss the "creepy ghost girl" that actually lived in the house in the BBC version.

The joke was, she was genuinely scary, even to the other ghosts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2021 4:40 PM

The Alberta episode this week was very good.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2021 2:39 AM

"There better be a TRANS ghost, or else!"

And yet 99% of shows don't have a trans character. The Republicans here always try to drag trans people into every discussion

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2021 2:41 AM

AHS: Murder House did it better...

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2021 2:42 AM

(R36, we're not republicans. We're just laughing at the fact trans activists scream victim for anything and everything - even not being "included" in a sitcom cast. It's a joke, sweetie. No need to make it a bigger deal.)

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2021 3:31 AM

The gay revolutionary war character just said “I was inside a man before” in reference to possessing someone.

Definitely a gay writer on the team.

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2021 1:22 AM

The gay revolutionary war character is gay, but I am not sure if he realizes it yet but everyone else does.

by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2021 1:27 AM

Haven't watched this (and probably won't - doesn't look to be something I'd like) but I'm happy to see the fantastic Rebecca Wisocky getting regular work. She was so good on Devious Maids.

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2021 1:27 AM

R41 if you like comedies you should give it a try, I didn't think I would like it but I really do, what do you have to lose 20-25 minutes if you record it and fast forward through the commercials. It has become one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2021 1:29 AM

I was "meh" about it at first,but now I love it . I do need more Finn though,he just turns my crank !

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2021 1:55 AM

It's really well done. The best new comedy in years.

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2021 3:13 AM

I agree R44. I also think this show should be more popular and talked on DataLounge a la Desperate Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2021 5:11 AM

CBS’ ‘Ghosts’ Temporarily Halts Production Due To On-Set Case Of Covid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 17, 2021 11:04 PM

I watched the pilot and thought it was unwatchable. If you like terrible comedy like How I Met your Mother and 2 and 1/2 Men, then you might like this dreck.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2021 12:10 AM

I didn't think the pilot was terrible, but it is probably the weakest episode. I think it got stronger over the first few episodes and found its footing. Although, if you felt the pilot was unwatchable, you would probably still hate the later episodes.

In a way it seems like a throwback to shows like Bewitched with a much more understanding husband. I am guessing Rose's characters name being Sam is a bit of an homage.

I think the show does a good job of throwing in some brief, but truly touching or deeper moments without veering into 80's special episode territory. Hetty's realization/admission that her life as a 19th century upper class married woman meant she really did not live any of her own dreams was well done but not a long over-sentimental scene.

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2021 12:27 AM

I am enjoying Ghosts and it is the highest rated new comedy this season, only character I am not liking is Utkarsh Ambudkar the husband, for my tastes if they were wanting to go with a person of South Asian decent I would have preferred Aziz Ansari probably best known for his role on Parks & Recreation. The rest of the cast is great.

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2021 2:08 AM

The last new episode, last week’s, where Hetty possessed Jay was pretty funny, some good acting on his part. The show is cute, although I don’t normally watch network stuff, so I don’t have much to compare it to.

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2021 2:18 AM

R49, I think you’re just biased and don’t like the character.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2021 2:23 AM

R51, Since I suggested another actor of South Asian decent that I would have been fine with, it is pretty clear I just don't care for that particular actor. Stop looking for bias where it doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2021 11:44 AM

I agree with Isaac, Jay (Utkarsh Ambudkar) is a strapping young man. His voice is cute.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2021 8:37 PM

For those who watch the BBC original on HBO Max, a new Christmas episode of Ghosts recently dropped. We get a little of Fanny's backstory amid the nicely heartwarming A-story.

by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2021 8:26 PM

Aziz Ansari is a fine comic actor, but he's too short for this role and his voice is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2021 8:46 PM

I didn't want to like it but I do. It's cute, and I am a fan of Bewitched, so...

(Didn't want to like it because I can only get broadcast TV via cable, and I want to cut the cord. There aren't many shows left on broadcast worth watching for me.)

by Anonymousreply 56December 31, 2021 5:44 AM

R55, that’s great you think so because Utkarsh Ambudkar is the actor in this show.

by Anonymousreply 57December 31, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote](Didn't want to like it because I can only get broadcast TV via cable, and I want to cut the cord. There aren't many shows left on broadcast worth watching for me.)

I have been watching it on Pluto - one of the free streaming stations on my Roku stick.

by Anonymousreply 58December 31, 2021 1:11 PM

This show is consistently charming. This week's episode where she went to see if she could find and talk to her dead mother was touching.

by Anonymousreply 59January 11, 2022 1:59 AM

ME NEED MORE THORFIN !!!

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2022 2:02 AM

Utkarsh Ambudkar's dead-on impersonation of Hetty in "Possession" is Emmy-worthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2022 6:03 PM

Still loving this show. Each episode is keeping the high standard going. It's charming.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2022 2:09 PM

I'm enjoying this show. It's light-hearted and easy to watch especially since it's only 20 minutes. I'd like to watch the BBC version but looks like it's only available on HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2022 2:52 PM

[bold]‘Ghosts’ Has Become Such a Big Hit That Even CBS Execs Are Surprised: ‘TikTok Is Blowing Up!’[/bold]

“Ghosts” may be the unlikeliest comedy hit in recent CBS history. It’s a single-camera half-hour, adapted from a cult U.K. series, and it’s not from Chuck Lorre. Yet the show, which was just renewed for a second season, has already become a breakout for the Eye network, averaging 8.1 million viewers season-to-date, and improving its time period 15% from last year.

And that’s just on linear, where “Ghosts” is the No. 2 comedy on broadcast, behind only CBS’ “Young Sheldon.” It is also performing well on Paramount Plus, which reports that it’s the No. 1 comedy on the streamer.

“It’s the most pleasant kind of surprise,” says CBS Entertainment president Kelly Kahl. “Material we fell in love with, a pilot we fell in love with. It’s like most hits, nothing screamed that, ‘hey, this is gonna be a breakout hit.’ We hoped for it. We always do. But it was a little bit of a departure from what we normally do. So it’s enormously gratifying to see the show that builds a little each week, increasing audience, the delayed viewing, the streaming numbers, and just the buzz.

“It’s also gratifying to put a big four-quadrant, mass appeal hit back on broadcast TV,” Kahl adds. “It’s fun reading the tweets. We have to take it as a compliment that a lot of people are saying, ‘I can’t believe this show’s on broadcast TV.’ ”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 4, 2022 12:53 AM

The series stars Rose McIver and Utkarsh Ambudkar as Sam and Jay, who inherit a mansion in the countryside that they plan to turn into a B&B. But when Sam hits her head in an accident, she starts to see the ghosts from different eras who inhabit the manor, including an American Revolutionary War officer (Brandon Scott Jones), a 1920s jazz singer (Danielle Pinnock), a Viking (Devan Chandler Long), the home’s original owner Hetty (Rebecca Wisocky), a Lenape Native American (Román Zaragoza), a hippie (Sheila Carrasco), a 1980s Boy Scout leader (Richie Moriarty) and a late-’90s wolf of Wall Street (Asher Grodman).

Just like the original 2019 BBC series, “Ghosts” takes full advantage of that large ensemble, diving into each character’s backstory and the comedic give-and-take among the spooks, the “living” who can see them and Sam’s husband, who cannot. “We have a lot of very interesting characters and great actors, and that gives us a lot of places to go,” says executive producer Joe Wiseman. “We like to do stories that sometime take place in the past. Sometimes they take place in the present or a mix of the two. It really gives us an opportunity to start digging in deeper.”

CBS chief marketing officer Mike Benson says “Ghosts” is also gaining traction in social media, appealing to a younger audience that isn’t normally known for their love of content on the Eye. “The really interesting that’s happened this year is with ‘Ghosts,’ it’s got a very broad diverse audience where we not only see our core 45-plus CBS audience watching but we also are seeing teens watching,” Benson says. “TikTok is blowing up over ‘Ghosts,’ which you might scratch your head and say ‘really, CBS has a show that’s doing really well on TikTok?'”

“It’s been really gratifying,” says fellow EP Joe Port. “People are telling me that they watch it with their families. That’s awesome; you can get things on different levels.”

In some ways, “Ghosts” is a modern, sophisticated version of the high-concept premises that once dominated sitcoms like “I Dream of Jeannie.” But the producers say the fact that their lead character shares a name with Samantha of “Bewitched” is a coincidence. “Although this is a show about ghosts, we want the stories to be real,” Wiseman says. “Ultimately, the show isn’t about the supernatural: We consider the ghosts as people — they live lives, and we want to tell stories that are relatable to everyone.”

There are ghosts everywhere on “Ghosts,” but don’t expect to see a spinoff just yet. “We’re concentrating on this one right now, but yes, this does seem like something that could be franchised anywhere,” Port says. But for now, Port, Wiseman and CBS are content for now to focus on planning Season 2, as Sam and Jay prepare to open their B&B, much to the spirits’ chagrin.

“The last five episodes [of Season 1] are building toward the opening of the B&B,” Port says. “In the British version, they actually never opened the B&B so far over three seasons. But, we did as many episodes in one season as they did in three seasons. We have to tell a lot more stories in a year and just because we’re opening the B&B doesn’t mean it’s going to be the guest of the week. There’s going to be a lot of stories that happen when there are no guests there. There’s going to be fits and starts, but we do like the storytelling engine of being able to just have people drop in and without too much trouble on our part for coming up with a reason why they’re there.”

Future episodes will continue to introduce a few more ghosts — it’s a large property, after all — as well as the return of Crash, the headless 1950s ghost seen in the pilot. As for next season, there’s a chance that “Ghosts” might produce even more than this season’s 18 episodes (limited by COVID contingencies). And Kahl says growing “Ghosts” into an even bigger hit is a priority at the network. “I think we’ve just scratched the surface in terms of potential audience,” Kahl says.

by Anonymousreply 65February 4, 2022 12:54 AM

Asher Grodman was on Law & Order SVU a couple seasons ago playing a douche bro, but he is fucking sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 66February 4, 2022 12:58 AM

Im so glad to read that ! I love Ghosts (mostly for Thorfinn but Im an old slut) and Im surprised how such a sweet,simple show has caught on so well .Just like Young Sheldon,wich I also enjoy (mostly for Georgie,now that hes legal.Again,old slut here) .

by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2022 1:01 AM

And the incest? The syphilis? Euthanasia?

by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2022 1:09 AM

What a stupid name for a TV show. 🤮

by Anonymousreply 69February 4, 2022 1:10 AM

[quote] It’s like most hits, nothing screamed that, ‘hey, this is gonna be a breakout hit.’

Called it.

by Anonymousreply 70February 4, 2022 1:19 AM

Terrible show Turned it off after 3 minutes

by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2022 1:29 AM

[quote]And the incest? The syphilis? Euthanasia?

The rich, blue blood wife of a19th century robber baron was married to her cousin who was revealed to have had syphilis. She also talks about the tonics she used to take and how cocaine was a wonder drug. She also is very wary of the Irish.

by Anonymousreply 72February 4, 2022 12:22 PM

The US version occasionally has it charms, but I think it's weak tea compared to the UK original (which I've watched at least twice, granted there are only 18 or so episodes over three seasons). Still, I don't mind Asher Grodman with no pants (he was also on Succession, R66, albeit in a blink-and-you'll-miss-him part).

by Anonymousreply 73February 4, 2022 5:39 PM

R56 You can download the CBS app and watch the show for free. I don’t have cable.

by Anonymousreply 74February 4, 2022 6:14 PM

i have a free year of paramount plus with my tmobile account. I've been watching Ghosts the past week. It's pretty good. There is something about it i don't like that i can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the fast paced dialogue? i will continue to watch the first season.

by Anonymousreply 75February 26, 2022 7:29 PM

The second season has sucked so far. The first half of the first season must have been a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 76November 4, 2022 10:38 AM

I don't watch CBS. It's for olds.

by Anonymousreply 77November 4, 2022 10:46 AM

Oh come on. You must have enjoyed the part where everyone was encouraging the closeted guy from 1776 to tell his "secret" to the ghost of the guy he fancied ("You might find that things that were awful back then are not so awful, or not awful at all, now"), but the secret is not what they thought it was and is DEFINITELY still awful.

by Anonymousreply 78November 4, 2022 11:23 AM

This is the new thread, right? Just started the show and I love it! My new favorite show for sure.

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2022 2:17 PM

This has probably been posted, but I'm gonna post it anyway, just in case. The actor playing Isaac comes out at around the 11:30 mark. I'm not exactly shocked as I suspected he was gay. It's still cool of him to come out though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2022 2:19 PM

Just watched the second season's finale. Fuck me! Which of the ghosts got sucked off? It would make sense if it's Alberta, since her murder has been solved, and she forgave Hetty for keeping the identity of the murderer from her. But I love her so much, I would miss her greatly, if there's a third season. Isaac, solving his commitment issues and probably guilt for killing his boyfriend, could be a possibility as well. I'd miss him, too.

by Anonymousreply 81May 12, 2023 8:44 AM

Back for season 3 tonight!

One of the ghosts got sucked off!

by Anonymousreply 82February 16, 2024 12:44 AM

I am sad at the revelation.

by Anonymousreply 83February 16, 2024 12:59 AM

Boooooo! 👻

I’m sad. 😞

by Anonymousreply 84February 16, 2024 1:15 AM

The UK version is a billion times better.

by Anonymousreply 85February 16, 2024 1:28 AM

The lame hippie—Flower

by Anonymousreply 86February 16, 2024 1:38 AM

But is Flower really gone?

by Anonymousreply 87February 16, 2024 2:31 AM

"Might" have a hit on its hands? The third season premiered this week. And it's one of the best-reviewed comedies of the past few years. I absolutely hated the UK version. Not one of the British male actors is appealing , IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 88February 16, 2024 5:04 AM

R88 you know that was posted 3 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 89February 16, 2024 5:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!