Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Study: Weight Loss Doesn’t Always Make You Healthier

[QUOTE]The evidence shows that being active trumps weight loss. The concept of being “fit and fat” is referred to as metabolically healthy obesity, where you’re overweight but without heart disease risk factors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 7:09 PM

SHOCKING!

It's super annoying when you're female and all of your health problems are attributed to ANY kind of weight problem you may either CURRENTLY have, or USED to have.

Fat? Lose weight Losing weight but overweight? Lose weight Lost weight? You were fat & therefore all your problems stem from this. Never mind your BP, resting heart rate, labs, exercise ability, etc., etc.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 9:00 PM

It looks to me like your level of musculature and strength is what determines your health, not necessarily your body fat percentage.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 9:03 PM

Weight loss makes you better-looking.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 9:08 PM

This is just another study on top of thousands of other studies, yet fat people will use this as evidence for their perfect health, while they chow down on a greasy bucket of fried chicken.

How many obese people do you see working out consistently? And why does COVID kill a disproportionate number of obese people, when based on this study, all that counts is our cardio fitness level?

It’s a simple fact that most obese people will not have excellent health. And not every person in the perfect BMI range will be healthy.

But this is just more fodder for the fat acceptance warriors that they can use as an excuse for their unhealthy lifestyles.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 9:09 PM

R4 only likes science when he can use it to confirm that he’s right about everything.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 9:12 PM

R5 likes this study and. It any of the other studies, because R5 is fat.

Don’t be like R5.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2021 9:14 PM

fatty cope

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2021 9:15 PM

Because the definition of "overweight" is outdated and hasn't been changed in forever.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2021 9:18 PM

The two thick gals in OP’s picture, who probably fit the technical definition of obese, will likely outlive all of the DLers who come bitching in this thread about fat acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2021 9:18 PM

As a chunky swimmer - even exercise that doesn’t result in weight loss can make you feel 1000% better mentally and physically, and thus is worth doing. I know people who don’t work out because it leaves them less able to restrict their eating, it doesn’t surprise me that that could be unhealthier overall.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2021 9:19 PM

[QUOTE] likes this study and. It any of the other studies, because [R5] is fat.

I do have a few extra pounds, R6, but more important is that I’ve recently hit a max bench press of 615. So not only will my muscle keep me alive and well for a long time, it also means I can lay you out with one good punch if you keep running your yap.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 9:24 PM

The study shows that health benefits come from providers advocating increased exercise performance and tolerance instead of measuring weight loss. The main argument seems to be that patients are more less frustrated with lack of weight gain and less likely to quit lifestyle modifications. By no means does this mean that it’s healthy to be overweight or obese. And there are multitude of articles that show weight loss has physical and mental health benefits. Obesity is still a risk factor for numerous diseases in many organ systems. I’m not advocating fat shaming but fat acceptance is not promoting public health. Obesity is a public health crisis and a costly one. There’s a reason why life expectancy decreased in recent years while obesity is on the rise.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2021 9:42 PM

R12, they still need to change the definition of overweight.

And, a little extra weight has actually been shown to be protective in older people because when they do get sick their bodies have reserves. And, kind of humorous...they have a bit more padding and bounce more so they don't break things as readily.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2021 9:49 PM

20% of overweight people are metabolically healthy

Asian Americans have greater prevalence of metabolic syndrome than Non-Hispanic Whites despite lower body mass index

Only 12 percent of Americans are metabolically healthy

True that weight loss doesn't make one healthier in all cases

My spouse lost 40 pounds in 3 months the pancreatic cancer way

One can chug 5-hour energy shots and Monster beverages on a liquid diet and end up with blood clots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2021 9:50 PM

isn't it funny how most overweight people imagine themselves to be the metabolically healthy 20%

If you have sleep apnea, use a CPAP machine or blood glucose monitor, you're likely not metabolically healthy

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2021 9:57 PM

R3 wins

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2021 9:59 PM

R11, stop throwing cotton balls at me! You are not a typical obese person and probably have a good amount of muscle mass, in which case BMI is a useless assessment tool.

We know that the majority of obese people do not bench press more than their 20 pound lunch at any given time.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2021 10:00 PM

Well maybe the study will encourage more people to get fit rather than worry about numbers on a scale, which can be more easily discouraging, R17. Ever think of that?

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 2:13 PM

More claptrap twisting the original study to be used towards fat acceptance. No shit that people who exercise regularly are going to be healthier than those who don't, but what this is really saying is that if you lose a bunch of weight (likely from gastric bypass surgery) without putting in any effort to do so, then it's not going to benefit you as much as you think it will (but it will still benefit you, because your arteries aren't flowing with meatloaf gravy). Obviously losing weight is a big part of the battle, but if you don't change your lifestyle, and you're only losing weight because your stomach is now the size of a thimble and you can't eat, then obviously there's a hard limit to how much benefit there is, health-wise. What it does NOT mean is that some fat fuck who walks around the block a couple times a week is in no danger of keeling over from a heart attack or dying in their sleep because the fat is choking off their airway.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 2:29 PM

I had a fat friend who lost the fabled 10% of body weight that's supposed to make you healthier, and she ended up on a CPAP and metformin after the weight loss.

I only talk to her on social media these days but she seems to have a lost a little more, not much, but went to a different doctor who prescribed some physical therapy weight training for her and that seems to have helped more than the weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 2:34 PM

Subtext to Thread Title: FAT WHORES REJOICE!!! "FIT FAT" IS REAL!

#footballplayerbuild

#dadbod

#exjockbody

#stocky

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 2:37 PM

We've known this for years.

Flipside: While it doesn't ALWAYS make you healthier, it OFTEN does. I feel like people will just use this article to eat a whole pizza.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 2:43 PM

[QUOTE] wise. What it does NOT mean is that some fat fuck who walks around the block a couple times a week is in no danger of keeling over from a heart attack or dying in their sleep because the fat is choking off their airway.

What kind of moron does one have to be to take this away from the study?

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 4:34 PM

Tell this to to the fatties whose leg turns black and is amputated from diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 5:30 PM

Okay, I used to be a skinny but now I'm just slightly overweight. I find my body gets in the way more. How do people who are fat function? People with big trunks and pudgy arms and legs. How can they even do stuff like put their clothes on?

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote] What kind of moron does one have to be to take this away from the study?

Have you been asleep the past decade?

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2021 3:54 PM

Fair. I’ve lost a couple of stone over the last year, but I’ve also got no muscle strength, no metabolism, and my body is running off adrenal stress and frequently crashing. Bit of a fucking wreck tbh. I was healthier chubby.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 7:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!