Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British company John Lewis update insurance advert with a trans twist

John Lewis is one of the most famous department stores in the UK, famed for its Christmas tv adverts.

5 years ago they released an advert of a young girl dancing around a very middle class house to Elton John's Tiny Dancer, coming very close to damaging multiple items. The sell of the advert was "if it matters to you, it matters to us".

Now John Lewis have updated it with a young boy wearing his mother's make up and shoes stomping around the house to Stevie Nick's Edge Of Seventeen, causing significant damage and smearing pink and blue on his cheeks. The sell of the advert is "let life happen".

No doubt the family can afford both a cleaner AND insurance for accidental damage but my god, what a fucking brat. The sister is that there doing her own thing and the mother looks on like she's going to get a punch if she intervenes. So progressive!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2021 7:29 PM

This is the new advert.

So cringe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 7:23 PM

This is not Mumsnet. Please fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 7:26 PM

Fraus complain about trans people invading their spaces and they turn around an invade gay spaces.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 7:27 PM

Wanna bet r2 and r3 haven't even seen the video?

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 7:30 PM

The involvement of Elton John and Stevie Nicks make this a GAY INTEREST story thank you very much.

Feel free to discuss your antibiotic resistant STDs on LPSG if you have nothing to say about this.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 7:31 PM

The little boy was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2021 7:32 PM

Lots of boys do that. I did yet am not trans but in any case go fuck yourself OP.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2021 7:36 PM

Good lord, not Stevie Nicks. Not watching that because I don't like the sound of goats fucking.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote]Lots of boys do that. I did yet am not trans but in any case go fuck yourself OP.

You deliberately trashed your house and threw your sister's paint pots on a rug?

So many anger issues there. I can sense they're still not resolved? Was your father absent as well?

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2021 7:39 PM

R9 how does it feel being angry about commercials, just like conservatives?

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote][R9] how does it feel being angry about commercials, just like conservatives?

Seeing as I'm not angry about it, I wouldn't know.

I'm actually angry that there are families who can't even contemplate paying for household insurance with the cuts to universal credit being made by the Tories at the moment.

The advert is cringe inducing, resorting to reductive stereotypes about the behaviour of male and female children. "Boys will be boys so let life happen" would have been a better tagline.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 7:54 PM

R11 whinging about commercials is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2021 7:57 PM

How many people would actually let a kid tear up a house like that? I would literally kill the kid if he did that to my house. Talk about enabling a brat

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2021 8:10 PM

R11 I agree with you, people are missing the message that boys will be boys is ok even when they think they are girls, it’s male privilege on full display.

It’s also a very regressive message despite wanting to come across as progressive. Girls can be just as destructive as boys if they want.

I am sick of companies advertising their wokeism.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2021 8:26 PM

R14 it's a commercial. Get over yourself and your schoolmarm moralism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2021 9:05 PM

Why is a department store selling home insurance?

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2021 9:22 PM

R14 Yet here you chastising others, take your own advice.

Be gone tranny lover.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote]Why is a department store selling home insurance?

Because they can.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote] R9 how does it feel being angry about commercials, just like conservatives?

I'm tickled every time TRAs accuse others of being RWNJ/conservatives. Asshole, it's not gays/lesbians that experience a 'nazi phase' so frequentlythat we joke about it -- that's YOUR people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2021 9:57 PM

Ohhhhh, a British company. Sorry--American here.

I was thinking the kids were there to demo "Good trouble" vs "Bad trouble."

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2021 10:07 PM

John Lewis have withdrawn the advert because SOME PEOPLE, i.e. the people who watched it, might have been misled by the child's deliberate damage to the house.

The Financial Conduct Authority have had words with John Lewis and John Lewis have responded

[quote[“We would like to clarify that accidental damage cover is available as an add-on to John Lewis's new home contents insurance product and only covers accidental (not deliberate) damage. We have decided to contact every customer who purchased our new home contents insurance from 11th October to 31st October to confirm they understood these points and are happy with their purchase."

I hope Stevie Nicks got a decent wadge of royalties from it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2021 4:52 PM

I did this when I was a kid. Not destroy a house but if people are identifying this as trans I don’t like it.

Not all little boys who wear dresses are trans.

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote]I did this when I was a kid.

You trashed your mother's bedroom and tore open her pillows so there were feathers everywhere?

You knocked the pictures on the wall off balance?

You kicked shoes off so they knocked objects off shelves?

You deliberately knocked your sister's paints onto the floor?

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2021 5:01 PM

R23 Some of that, yes. But not in a dress.

by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2021 5:03 PM

Very weird the 2 are so different. In the first, the little girl is careless, but not maliciously so. She's genuinely lost in the music while frolicking about the house. The second one has the boy being an asshole while being aware of that.

From a marketing point of veiw, that's a big fail. There's a difference between a possible accident (none in the first commercial) and running around smashing things throughout the house on purpose.

They couldn't have a little boy dancing like in the first commercial? So many weird gender mixed messages going on there -- all good to dress up like girls, but keep acting like a boy bully.

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2021 6:00 PM

Revised ad (watch to the end).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2021 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!