Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California Bans Small Off-Road Gas Engines, Including Lawnmowers And Chainsaws

Good, disturbing my cat's sleep.

[quote]California moved one step closer to ending reliance on fossil fuels as Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a new bill into law on Sunday to ban all off-road gas-powered engines...The new law requires the state to apply the new rule by Jan. 1, 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is “feasible,” whichever date is later,

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 1:55 PM

And everyone will buy them in other states.

Nobody is going back to the old push mowers and does a state with a shaky electrical grid really want to do this?

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 12:03 PM

OP sounds like a disgruntled lesbian. Your cat’s sleep disturbed?

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 12:37 PM

r2

My cat is rather delicate, your cat sound like it is dead common, straight up alley.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 1:05 PM

Luckily there are plenty of illegal immigrants crossing the border, hopefully they are willing to pick up a rake and use a manual, motorless push mower.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote]California moved one step closer to ending reliance on fossil fuels.

But not really.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 11:03 PM

Not going to happen. I’m all for alternative energy sources but banning small gas engines isn’t the path forward.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 12:41 AM

Unless they ban the use of the engines what good would it do? They'll just buy them online.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 1:12 AM

Petty tyrants are incorrigible.

The negative unintended consequences are so obvious that only a fucking retard could actually call this legislation a victory.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 2:25 AM

This, of course, is going to be one of those "grandfathered in" rules.

It's not like ALL off-road gas engines will suddenly be banned. If you got one, you're going to be able to use it until it dies. They just won't be selling them anymore.

Even tho electric offroad toys are getting pretty affordable, I predict a big run on gas riding toys like dirtbikes and quads before the rule goes into effect. For people who mow their own lawns, I bet they'll probably be fine with replacing their gas lawnmowers with electric when the time comes. Heck, there's autonomous Roomba-like electric lawnmowers now - they're still pretty expensive but prices are sure to drop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]They'll just buy them online.

They won't be able to ship them to California. So you'll have to drive to NV, OR, or AZ to get them. Or use a reshipper, which would still be illegal.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 3:59 PM

So, a storm knocks down trees in your neighborhood, cutting power lines. You're supposed to clear the tree with an electric chainsaw that can't be charged?

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 4:21 PM

People who think this isn't going to work have obviously not kept up with the advances in battery-operated lawn and garden tools. If you have, and if you own any, you know that the end of small-engine lawn and garden tools is nigh.

The great strides in lithium ion batteries have brought the costs way down and the battery capacity/run time way up. They can run a powerful motor with ease. No struggling to get the damn engine to start. And they are SO much quieter, not to mention cleaner - no emissions.

Battery chain saws. Leaf blowers. Brush cutters. Lawn mowers. Snow blowers. Seriously. They even have electric lawn tractors nowadays, ffs.

Besides my lithium ion shop tools, I also have a battery chain saw, leaf blower, string trimmer, and snow blower. That snowblower runs 45 minutes on a single battery pack and does it ever throw snow (I live in Minnesota, so I know snow). I'll never go back to gas-powered tools.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 4:48 PM

I wonder what this means for lawn services. Keeping battery-powered mowers and trimmers operating constantly all day is going to be a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 10:22 PM

California is living in the dark ages!

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]I wonder what this means for lawn services. Keeping battery-powered mowers and trimmers operating constantly all day is going to be a challenge.

You know how they keep extra gas with them to refill their equipment, R13?

In the near future, they'll keep swappable extra batteries with them. Doesn't seem very complicated to me.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 7:23 AM

fucking gas powered leafblowers! urgh!

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 7:38 AM

Lithium Ion batteries have a limited life. What is going to happen with all the millions of batteries when they fail. They aren't very recyclable in spite of some claims.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 7:57 AM

My gardener uses a battery operated leaf blower. It really is much quieter.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 7:58 AM

This is really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 10:16 AM

Not just stupid, it’s retarded.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 10:20 AM

[quote] Not just stupid, it’s retarded.

Especially because California already has electricity problems. Can you imagine every house in the state plugging into electricity to mow their lawns?

Plus, they’ve never been the best at forest management. I can see them passing a law that people can only mow their lawns every two months.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 1:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!