Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judge Judy Bailiff Petri Hawkins Byrd Sounds Off on Not Being Invited to New IMDB TV Show

Judith "Judge Judy" Sheindlin fans may notice a familiar face from the Judge Judy family is not taking part in her new series, Judy Justice. Petri Hawkins Byrd, the longtime bailiff on Judge Judy for 25 years, has been left out of the IMDb TV series. Byrd starred alongside Sheindlin since its beginning in 1996. He opened up to EW.com about not being asked to join the show.

Byrd revealed he thought he would've gotten the chance to audition for the role but only heard about Judy Justice when it was announced in March 2020. Bryd didn't initial reach out to Sheindlin about whether he was coming onto the new show once Judge Judy wrapped in April, due to his wife Makita Bond-Byrd, a longtime producer with the show, undergoing brain surgery. Byrd's wife has had 95 percent of the tumor removed and has completed a successful third round of chemo.

Byrd stated he was too focused on his wife's health at the time and explained:

“I didn't have time to think about or ask about Judy Justice. It wasn't until July that I called the judge and asked, 'Hey, should I look for something else or am I included in the Judy Justice project?'”

When Byrd finally heard from Sheindlin, he explained price was the reason why he wasn't invited to the new show. According to Byrd:

“She informed me I was not being asked to come along on the project. I didn't inquire as to why, that's her choice. But she did inform me that, fundamentally, I was priced out as the new bailiff on her new show. My salary would have been too much. I was curious: How would she know? She didn't ask me. She didn't give me an opportunity to have accepted a lower salary.”

Byrd maintained the conversation the two had "ended pleasantly enough," but still felt a bit slighted by what happened and was confused he wasn't given the chance to say if he wanted to continue their relationship or not. Sheindlin released a statement to EW, where she claimed:

“Byrd is terrific and we had a great 25-year run. This is a whole new program with a whole new cast and an exciting energy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 29, 2021 12:43 AM

Judy who told the producers 25 years ago that she want him. Byrd was her Bailiff Manhattan's Family Court. She made him a star, 'am sure he is grateful, while feeling slighted,

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 12:47 AM

But what's the real story on this? Why wasn't he invited back? I'm just now watching the new show on Amazon. I notice nepotism is in full tacky display since her sidekick is her "sassy" granddaughter. Other than this, the show is much the same. I wonder if there was concern that the famous bailiff might upstage the granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2021 5:30 AM

Also, Judy is working so hard to make the granddaughter's career happen. She speaks to her during the cases and at the end gives the granddaughter a private after-show conversation in her chambers.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2021 5:31 AM

Apparently, the granddaughter has done some past TV work and is now working on her law degree with the intention of perhaps taking over from Judy one day, since Judy is now 79, though as sharp as ever.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2021 5:32 AM

Roll around in you pile of money, you ungrateful no talent slug!!!

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2021 5:33 AM

Way to treat people, Judy.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2021 5:44 AM

Was he replaced with another bailiff?

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2021 5:59 AM

A normal person would go out of their way to retain an employee of 25 years whose wife was currently dealing with brain cancer. Not even a spectacularly good person, just a decent one with some sense of morality.

Clearly, that doesn't describe Judy.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2021 7:10 AM

R7 He was replaced by a younger bailiff, also a black guy.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2021 7:23 AM

Judy’s a cunt and is loyal to no one but herself.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2021 7:25 AM

This is quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2021 1:23 PM

That’s fucked up. There was certainly money in the budget, and it wasn’t as if he were some kind of competition who needed to be eliminated. He was a comforting presence who occasionally had a reaction shot.

Judy Sheindlin is a feckless cunt who should thank her lucky stars that someone she loves doesn’t have brain cancer. Although she might not even love like a normal human; she seems to love money a love everything else.

How much fucking money does one person need, at her age?

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2021 2:39 PM

More like Judge Doody, am I right?

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2021 11:46 PM

She probably wanted to cut him loose for whatever reason. I don't know what his salary is but I'm sure they would have paid it if Judy really wanted him there. I hope he has enough to retire.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2021 7:45 AM

I wonder what he did to piss her off?

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2021 7:46 AM

[quote] I wonder what he did

He wore nicely-pressed clothes BUT the bigger problems were—

1. He looked very bored.

2. He looked at the papers before handing them over.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2021 5:55 AM

Seriously? Was he not supposed to look at the papers? Was he doing that because he was bored or for some other reason? I thought he had been a bailiff for many decades, even before the TV jig, so he must have known the procedure. Was looking at the papers in bad form? I'm really curious about what went down.

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2021 5:59 AM

[quote] Was he not supposed to look at the papers?

No, he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2021 6:07 AM

sounds like he was replaced by the mouth breathing granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2021 6:37 AM

This reflects poorly on her, it’s not the right thing to do, and it was the wrong way to do it. Petty. I won’t watch the new show, and I’m not the only one who feels that way. Unfortunately it’s likely not enough to tank her, but she should face a consequence.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2021 7:12 AM

he was a big bore....looked grouchy.....doin his crosswords.....bye bye

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2021 7:17 AM

Clearly, if there’s a new young black bailiff, then he’s the new Byrd and the granddaughter is the new Judy, when she steps aside.

Byrd would have made more money than the granddaughter and this salary would have probably increased as the granddaughter’s would - which is not fiscally feasible.

A younger duo is in the works, but Judy can’t reveal that she presumes so publicly as it would be off-putting.

Judy only took the gig to groom the audience to accept the granddaughter as she would have no future in broadcasting on her own.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2021 7:23 AM

"2. He looked at the papers before handing them over. "

I heard he looked at the papers to make sure no one was handing Judy anything inappropriate. He was just protecting her, not being nosy. Byrd was popular with everybody. Strong, silent type, just what you'd expect a court bailiff to act like. The crossword puzzles he did were a running joke that people got a kick out of, because face it, most of the cases were dull as dishwater

Bad move on Judy's part

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2021 7:59 AM

Judy is a cunt. Granddaughter is a runt. They're both awful people, without any talent you'd want. But hey, I don't know why. Hey, I don't know why. Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah. Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah. Perhaps they'll die.

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2021 8:13 AM

Joey Ramone, posting from the grave at R24.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2021 8:14 AM

Oh Byrd. Don’t be bitter. You looked mad and bored. Be glad it lasted 25 years and move on. He probably knows that no one else wants him.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2021 8:24 AM

Oh Judy, go lick some more dried up pussy, you nasty awful bitch.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2021 8:28 AM

Judy's a crazy right winger.

I worked on a project with Arnold Kopelson (producer of Seven, Platoon, etc.) about a year before he died. He was very good friends with Judge Judy and bragged about how the two of them were both Trumpsters in Hollywood and too powerful to mess with.

Yes, he was a monster. And I assume she is too.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2021 8:50 AM

How much has he made on Judge Judy? Almost one million dollars a year!

He may be a bit disappointed but I don't think there is a lot bad blood between them, after all, she made him a super rich guy.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2021 8:57 AM

Be glad you’re not in the new show, Byrd. It sucks! I watched 3 episodes. Dull cases, the same old schtick by Judy. The worst part is the grand daughter, who adds nothing, and the after case conference in Judy's chambers. Horrific. I won’t watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2021 10:10 AM

I don’t watch the new show but I never liked Byrd. Too irritating.

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2021 10:20 AM

Officer Byrd priced himself out of the market.

Just like American manufacturing priced itself out of the international marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2021 10:23 AM

Idk what's really going on here. She must've liked him well enough to keep him around for 20 years but she certainly isn't obligated to employ him in perpetuity.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2021 10:39 AM

I’d fuck him

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2021 10:53 AM

How Byrd got the job is actually a very sweet story. He sent her a lyerr congratulating Judy on the job, and joked/asked that if she ever needed a bailiff, to call on him. She thought it was a good idea, told the producers, and brought him along. This idea that Judy isn’t loyal is ridiculous. She made the man more money in a year than he ever would have made in a life time as a bailiff. And he made that money for years and years.

Judy’s Justice is clearly trying to branch out a bit and differentiate itself from Judge Judy, down to the red robe and new hairdo.

It is natural he feels disappointed but the DL pearl clutching that she betrayed him is ridiculous. As is the other side saying that he is an ingrate. He is neither. He is a bit disappointed which is natural but also doesn’t seem too bitter.

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2021 10:54 AM

Much longer than 20 years. He was her bailiff for years in real life Family Court before she took the TV gig and he volunteered to serve in the same position.

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2021 10:55 AM

So she goes from nationally syndicated TV show to Amazon online? A good chunk of her audience is old people who aren't going to be streaming.

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2021 12:24 PM

Did her husband divorce her a second time?

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2021 12:26 PM

Yeah, that was Byrd's thing. To look bored and Judy would play off of him. It worked for 100 years. He doesn't sound ungrateful. Just upset he was left out of the loop. As ANYONE would be in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2021 12:47 PM

If she was a Trumpster why did she support Bloomberg in 2020?

by Anonymousreply 40December 16, 2021 1:28 PM

No one's watching the new show. Those welfare cases who laid around and watched it syndicated don't know how to find it on (also free) IMDB TV.

by Anonymousreply 41December 16, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote] and it wasn’t as if he were some kind of competition

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote] even before the TV jig,

Oh, yeah! Now I’ve definitely got my eye on you.

by Anonymousreply 43December 16, 2021 3:35 PM

He has said in interviews that they were a team for thirty five years.

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2021 6:51 PM

HE SHOULD BE GLAD HE HAD AS LONG A RUN AS HE DID. HIS GROUCHY FACE, AND ALWYS PLAYIN CROSSWORDS GOT ON HER/OUR NERVES.

by Anonymousreply 45December 29, 2021 12:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!