Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Newcomer here. Why do some threads get grayed out?

Also, what are DL's thoughts on the new Gawker?

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 7:17 PM

If your settings have your eyeballs anywhere but "asbestos", some posts will be greyed out to "protect you".

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 5:04 PM

Go into your settings and adjust the Flames and Freaks slider up to Asbestos Eyeballs. That should keep the grayed out threads to a minimum.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 5:05 PM

Posters who are "grey", ie: over 55, are greyed out so that the young gaylings don't have to read their posts.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 5:06 PM

There is a new gawker???? YAY!!!

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 5:16 PM

Aren't the greyed out threads posted by trolls?

The red type under these posts denotes the post is by a troll. That's what I see, the word 'troll' in red type and a number.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 5:29 PM

Too many FFs. There are a few posters here with multiple accounts who will take the time to FF posts they object to multiple times. They get a kick out of “punishing” their enemies.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Aren't the greyed out threads posted by trolls? The red type under these posts denotes the post is by a troll.

They are related but different. A thread is greyed out when a certain number of accounts of people who don’t like the subject click on FF and ignore. Often it’s people with multiple accounts who focus on trying to censor specific topics. Strangely, the WWs don’t appear to counteract it, as can be seen with some threads that are very popular and have a huge number of WWs. The red is on accounts that have received a lot of FFs compared to their WWs. In that case, WWs do matter.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 5:48 PM

[Quote] They get a kick out of “punishing” their enemies.

R6 they need to be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 5:57 PM

The NSA greys out all threads that are unfavorable to trannies, the Democrats, rapists, members of the WEF, Big Pharma, Neo-Feudalism, basically everything that's destroying the world.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 6:01 PM

What does the WW icon stand for?

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 6:04 PM

R4 They don't allow commenting!

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 6:07 PM

R10 Wonder Woman

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 6:08 PM

R1, thanks for saying. Upvote my thread!

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote]A thread is greyed out when a certain number of accounts of people who don’t like the subject click on FF

I wonder what the threshold is.

After adjusting my Flames & Freaks settings to the middle of Delicate Flowed & Asbestos Eyeballs, a quick scroll thru ⚡️Active shows the following threads greyed out:

[quote]Timothy Chalamet on the cover of Time Magazine

[quote]You've got to be kidneying - Bad Art Friend thread, part 2

[quote]Britney Spears drags her family to hell and back in Instagram post

[quote]Kim K West ( lol) hosting SNL this weekend

[quote]Monaco's Charlene: in Sth Africa since 2020 & no longer wears wedding ring

[quote]DL Fave Taylor J Phillips reveals freakishly large feet [Part 3]

The Princess Charlene thread is the only red-tagged thread.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 6:10 PM

Yeah, I don't think the grayed-out stuff has anything to do with "asbestos eyes." More to do with trolling, too many FFs, would be my guess.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 6:12 PM

No boards about boards!

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 6:12 PM

WW= wit and wisdom

FF= flames and freaks

References to previous incarnations of the site’s interface.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote]What does the WW icon stand for?

Wit & Wisdom. Unfortunately it no longer has meaning, here's an archived Wit & Wisdom page from 2007.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 6:15 PM

R6 Can you even imagine? "My hobby is downvoting posts I don't like on Datalounge"

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 6:18 PM

Just present hole and all the greyed out threads will return to normal.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 6:48 PM

OP, sometimes people just won't follow the rules, and when that happens I tell the Editor that these posters have to be punished. So they get greyed out.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 6:54 PM

R15, if you move your settings from "asbestos" to the middle and then to the far left and then back again, you'll find that posts change from not-greyed-out to greyed-out and vice versa, depending on your settings.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 6:58 PM

R22, OK, thank you. I'll try it the next time I see a grayed-out post.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 7:00 PM

If your slider is set to Delicate Flower, then a post or a poster only has to get a very few FFs and ignores for it to be grayed out.

As you move your slider to the right toward Asbestos Eyeballs, it will take more and more FFs and ignores for something to be grayed out.

If you're all the way to the right on Asbestos Eyeballs, pretty much only redtagged stuff will be grayed out.

No one knows what the cutoffs are for each setting, though.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 7:03 PM

I WW people who make me guffaw or offer an especially enlightened bit of info.

I've ony FF'd people who use derogatory or threatening language ("I know who you are you stupid fucking cunt", etc.). There's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 7:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!