Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The gay creator of "Chucky" and the franchise's evolving queer sensibility

Interesting piece in the NYTimes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 1:58 AM

“The gay filmmaker Don Mancini introduced the killer doll in 1988”

He never really liked me. And when the Ken doll rejected him, Chucky was born.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 3:42 PM

You have to give Don this much. He's kept that series fresh for 30 fucking years and I'm looking forward to the series. He always delivers.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 4:42 PM

I've never liked the movies.

He's in good shape for his age.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 5:29 PM

I just watched the first episode.

It’s engaging. One scene reminds me of the Buffy episode “The Puppet Show.”

And what a DIVERSE cast. They just had to make Jake’s love interest BLACK, when there were plenty of hotter white boys. So unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 10:30 AM

How many times can the NYT use the word queer in one article? Don't play a drinking game with it or you'll wind up dead.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 10:38 AM

Who needs acid when you can melt incels' faces with diverse casting?

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2021 10:58 AM

I hate the word queer.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2021 1:27 PM

R4 Maybe to you, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You don't find black people attractive so no one else is allowed to? It feels strange for you to say "hotter white boys" when we're talking about middle school characters anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2021 1:32 PM

Now that I know he’s gay, thar explains a LOT.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2021 1:39 PM

that

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2021 1:39 PM

I always liked Don Mancini because he was a horror writer/filmmaker who happened to be gay instead of a GAY horror writer. All of a sudden he decides to make a show of it, and immediately is branded QUEER. Everything he does is QUEER. Can't possibly be gay.

Also, the story about him having a poster of The Outsiders cast in his room as a kid is bullshit. He was an adult when that movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 3:02 PM

I hate it too, R7. But it's a good article. The movies freaked me out. I'll watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2021 3:10 PM

I really liked it. Good young actors and there are already a few characters I can't wait to see get killed. That little blonde bitch better have an extravagant death. She's a terror.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote] And what a DIVERSE cast. They just had to make Jake’s love interest BLACK, when there were plenty of hotter white boys. So unrealistic.

Fuck you. My love interest in high school was a black guy and I'm white. What's so unrealistic about it?

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2021 10:49 PM

Take it to Stormfront, cocksucking filth @ r4.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2021 10:51 PM

When Chuckie first came out (pun not intended), my nephew was in first grade at St Christopher's School in Richmond, Mancini's alma mater. The school was very proud, which I found odd at the time, because Richmond and St Christopher's were so old-fashioned and socially conservative. I wonder if Mancini is still St C's #1 Favorite Alumni after #2 after writer Tom Wolfe?

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2021 11:26 PM

R15 or Lipstick Alley, the biggest opponents of black man/white woman or man relationships are black women

They hate that

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2021 11:50 PM

I am personally so sick of 'evil doll' movies. Stupid, predictable, boring. I never liked them to begin with and there are so many. Get a better schtick, writers.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2021 11:55 PM

Then go back to the old Hollywood thread where you can gush over theatrically laughable performances of your old stars, acting like soap opera cartoons.

At least the camp here is intentional and is deliberately bad.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 12:03 AM

This sounds like a ton of fun. R4 is posting from the year 1958.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 12:19 AM

R19

Hit a nerve did I? Well, guess what, there are many people in the world and many different opinions, too bad you don’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!