Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Are They Going to Ban These Small Engine Planes?

These damn things are always crashing and killing people. I’ve got to worry about one of them falling out the sky and killing me at random cause the jerkoff pilot was intoxicated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 11:36 PM

OP = JFK Jr.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 2:24 PM

OP, they're the aviation world's equivalent of compact cars. Banning them wouldn't even be in the realm of remote possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 2:30 PM

the pilot was a Dr. who flew back and forth between his offices. He was told numerous times to pull up because he was too low but didn't. I am going to guess that he had a heart attack or something similar.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 2:32 PM

Gunshots and car accidents claim approximately 100X more lives than small plane crashes. There are only a few hundred plane crash deaths per year in the U.S. and your chances of dying if you are not a pilot or passenger are minute.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 2:54 PM

I live in Dayton and there are airports all over the place. I live between two in the south Dayton area that are for small planes, then there is WPAFB and the International Airport. I grew up very close to the International Airport and my grandmother lived near the base. Plane crashes are rare. Its kind of nice on a Sunday morning to sit on the deck and watch all the smaller craft fly over. Something very Americana about it. The Wright Flyer went over one day and I geeked out. A couple times some of those small craft looked like they were too low and too fast, but I can only think of one in our area in the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 3:24 PM

[Quote] Banning them wouldn't even be in the realm of remote possibilities

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 4:11 PM

^^ Because banning them would leave a massive gap in local air transportation, for both personal and commercial purposes.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 4:27 PM

These seem like such an unnecessary risk. I have no desire to get in one of these or a helicopter.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 4:28 PM

They are good at eliminating rich people. I worked for an asshole who flew drunk. About a year after I stopped working for him he crashed on his birthday. Coincidentally it was my birthday as well. I shed no tears. He was a Trump-loving 1%. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 4:50 PM

Residents below need to be more diligent about filing complaints with the FAA.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 4:53 PM

[Quote] ^^ Because banning them would leave a massive gap in local air transportation, for both personal and commercial purposes

I don't think OP is about smaller local transportation aircraft but about the little private ones like in the article.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 5:34 PM

^^ Have you googled images of the plane model (per OP's article link) that crashed? That not quite what you would call a "little private" aircraft.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 5:40 PM

No. Post one hun.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 5:41 PM

OP, the number of people killed in these small planes each year in the US is about the same as the number of people killed by gunfire on a holiday weekend in Chicago. If you want to be safer, work to overturn Antonin Scalia's spurious and corrupt reinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment in District of Columbia v. Heller. That would make you much safer.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 5:41 PM

Do both.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 5:42 PM

[QUOTE] OP, the number of people killed in these small planes each year in the US is about the same as the number of people killed by gunfire on a holiday weekend in Chicago.

Here we go with the Chicago stuff. What are you, a rightwinger?

You know how I avoid gun violence in Chicago? BY NOT LIVING IN FRIGGIN CHICAGO! I can’t avoid these friggin planes! They’re everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 5:55 PM

Every time I hear one buzzing in the sky over me, my anxiety rises.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 11:32 PM

61 yo UPS driver killed in his truck. It's not right.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!