Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends, here is what one million dollars can get you in Topeka

Six bedrooms, seven baths, over 8,000 square feet in a beautiful old neighborhood filled with big trees. There is even a fountain across the street from the front door. The black and white foyer wallpaper is dreadful, but that's easy enough to fix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2021 4:10 AM

The dark wood throughout is very 90s. I also don't get the first photo. The tree branches in the shot make the house look much smaller than it is.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 3:30 AM

Landscaping is nice, but that's it.

Weird distracting wallpaper. Middle-class big garage door out front. Fireplace with awkward proportions. Rooms that just don't seem comfy.

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 3:55 AM

It's just as bland as Topeka. Nice enough I guess, but no style whatsoever.

It reeks of a culture where you need to look unfashionable and basic because any sense of style is sneered at and ridiculed.

Fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 3:59 AM

This is a family-friendly community. We believe only in our savior. What you call literal violence, we call an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 4:38 AM

@r3, Yep, just as dull as the location

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 6:01 AM

No. Not even for $1.00. And that red room with the rocking chair is for sure haunted.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 6:07 AM

If I had $1 million in Topeka, I'd move to Wichita.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 6:14 AM

Wichita is horrible and filled with deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 3:08 PM

Like You’d Catch Me In Topeka - That’s A Big NO WAY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 3:33 PM

I like it except for the fact that it is in Topeka.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 3:50 PM

I wouldn't pay a mil for Topeka itself.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 3:53 PM

It's in the "coveted Westboro neighborhood" which sounds like it's near Westboro Baptist, so....

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote]coveted Westboro

Oxymoron

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 3:58 PM

It says it was built in 1937 but it must have been redone in the 1990s.

Someone needs to do some 'splainin about the foyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote] It's in the "coveted Westboro neighborhood" which sounds like it's near Westboro Baptist, so....

Google maps says that house is about a mile away from WBC.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 4:23 PM

I don't like when the garage door faces the street. When I'm puttering around in my garage with the door open, I want some privacy.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 4:28 PM

The Westboro Baptist "Church" co-opted the Westboro name decades ago to appear more upscale. It's not even in the Westboro neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 4:58 PM

R10, the reason it is only one million dollars is because it is in Topeka. If it was in a major metropolitan area, it would be six million.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 5:00 PM

Wait, R18. Are you saying location is a factor in real estate?

Tell us more.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 5:07 PM

According to Google Maps the WBC is only one block north of the Westboro neighborhood, and it's only 0.7 miles from the house, about four blocks due north of the house with a little jog to the west.

I'm not saying the house is in any way related to WBC but I'm not sure why people are trying to say it's not close, when it definitely is.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 5:10 PM

BROWN kitchen cabinets????

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 5:12 PM

No thanks, I’d rather live in the Keene NH one.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 5:13 PM

This isn't horseshoes, R20. "Close" doesn't count. The Westoboro neighborhood northern boundary is south of the cult. Go look at Zillow; there aren't anything close to million dollar houses around the cult compound.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 5:15 PM

The wallpaper is ok. The ceilings are too low for the room sizes. The kitchen is ugly. The tile and carpet floors are unremarkable. It's a newer construction house that lacks the character of my 1926 2400 square foot home.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 5:16 PM

r23, I didn't say it was in the Westboro neighborhood, I said it was one block north of it, and it is.

When I said it was "close" I very obviously and clearly was saying the house is close to the church, which it is.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 5:19 PM

The ceilings are too low. I'd always feel like I'm going to bump my head.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 5:24 PM

R24 Year built 1937

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 5:45 PM

It wouldn't take much to modernize the interior, relatively cheaply. The carpet obviously has to go (and there's a lot of it), wallpaper as OP states is also a goner, the kitchen has high quality wood cabinetry but the dark wood is dated. You could get them repainted professionally and change the hardware to completely update the look without having to rip out the kitchen, also love the Sub Zero (?) fridge (that's a 25k fridge right there) and built ins. Stove weirdly doesn't match. I also do not like the dated tile inside but one thing at a time I suppose. That, along with fresh paint which is a must anyway, would make this interior half decent. Outside is fine, however all that acreage and no pool?

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 5:58 PM

I've never been to Topeka. Is it wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 6:02 PM

Why do DLers rhapsodize over houses that are made for large families?

The house has nothing special going for it beyond the low price point, which I suspect was much lower three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 6:03 PM

The wallpaper in the foyer I could live with. What is far worse is the mirrored walls in the dining room - yuck!

the interior is not great, but bar the dining room I could live with it while changing it bit by bit.

It was built in 1937 as R27 points out, but has been updated and badly. I'd want to try and return it to its 1937 look as far as possible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 10:33 PM

I hadn't noticed the mirrored walls, but agree it would be a lot warmer with just paint and artwork.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 10:39 PM

I refuse to consider a house with a garage in front.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 10:40 PM

Yes, r31, it’s had a Home Depot makeover. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 10:41 PM

Everything about this house is hideous. I'd rather live in that campy mid century trailer outside Baltimore that gets posted here every few months.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 10:42 PM

I can just imagine the oversized seasonal wreathes and "live, laugh, love" decor.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 10:44 PM

At least the garage is set back and isn't projected halfway down the driveway like with so many houses. I never understand why builders DO that. Who wants to have the most prominent feature of the facade of a house be an ugly garage? I know it makes the driveway shorter, but so what.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2021 10:48 PM

Horrible house. Everything in it is off, and as another poster mentioned anything1937 was put in a dumpster and rebuilt in low-ceilinged tract house.

If standard and ordinary were marks of luxury, this one hits a jackpot.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2021 11:05 PM

The biggest sin was covering up the hardwood floors with wall-to-wall carpeting.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2021 11:56 PM

R37 The attached two-car garage with that huge door in American tract homes starting in the 5Os is no accident. It's supposed to say prosperity.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2021 4:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!