Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you do when your dog refuses to walk?

Do you drag him, like this guy?

Do you carry him?

I wouldn't know what to do.

But I know that I'd never take him out for another walk ever again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2021 2:49 AM

That happened to my sister with her Bulldog. He walked one block then refused to walk more.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 12:26 AM

My dog has been doing this today! He goes outside and just stands there, demanding treats. I threaten to pick him up and he'll take a few steps and then squint at me.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 12:29 AM

Why won't the fat little thing move??

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 12:32 AM

I use Ruffwear harnesses with handles and just carry the dog like a briefcase if needed.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 12:34 AM

It depends. If we’ve been hiking for miles already, I pick him up and carry him. If the weather is foul and he just wants to do his business and return home I cut the walk short and he generally resumes walking as so as we turn towards home. (Thankfully he generally enjoys walking.)

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote]What do you do when your dog refuses to walk?

It's an open-carry state here, OP.

Got it, Yankee?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 12:35 AM

He's a native New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 12:36 AM

Doesn't it hurt his little ding-a-ling when you drag a dog across the cement, like in the op's video?

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 12:37 AM

There is no “I would never walk him again” option. Good lord!

Sometimes you gotta pick the fucker up. My dog weighs 80 lbs. I’ve had to do it once or twice.

There are other tricks to try if the dog is wearing a harness, too, and not just a collar with a leash attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 12:37 AM

I would do this if I was a dog, but my dog would walk through any weather and in any circumstance. She loves her walks.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 12:38 AM

Our Newfoundland does this. She has two versions of this. 1) Remain on all 4’s but puts her head down, refusing to move. This is usually done when she is just done with walking. She just stops, 135lbs of stopped refusing to move dog. 2) Flops down and refuses to get up. This happens when you don’t let her go her own way, accidentally tug her leash, or accidentally give the impression she isn’t leading you. This ends up being 135lbs of dead weight weight flopped on the ground (might be muddy, a puddle, dirt, part of a creek) she knows by the end of it, you will be covered in mud and shame. People will ask, “Is your dog ok?” We affirm she is and that she’s just being petulant.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 12:38 AM

I had to carry my terrier home jogging once. He sat down refusing to look at me.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 12:40 AM

My dogs can be stubborn, but sometimes they're tired or even injured. My older dog has injured himself on hikes, so I now carry one of these:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 12:41 AM

Is it a rescue dog?

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 12:41 AM

Omg your dogs sound like total nightmares!!

I didn't realize this was such a common occurrence.

I'd be pissed if my dog did this.

It might be smart to bring along a stroller or a wagon on your little walks, from now on.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 12:42 AM

[quote]What do you do when your dog refuses to walk?

INSENSITIVE PETFAMILY ABLEIST!!!

NONE OF MY SEVENTEEN DOGS HAVE LEGS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 12:43 AM

Some dogs do this when they’re excited to meet another dog heading their way. It’s like they see a dog celebrity and flop in their tracks.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 12:44 AM

I’d drag that Chow’s A$$ over to Chinatown and leave him there.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 12:45 AM

Discipline can be.....a very tricky thing.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 12:45 AM

R11 my cavalier does the same thing as your first example if he wants to go home right now because it’s raining or hot and humid. He lays down if he’s too tired. (The first three miles are fine, after that results may vary) If he is injured he sits down until we figure out what is wrong and make it better. Generally it’s some prickly thing stuck in his fur. It’s very helpful that he has different methods of expressing the problem.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 12:48 AM

My bulldog did this when he smelled the hotdog truck on the corner of 42nd street and 2nd Ave.

He would sometimes “go limp” like a pacifist protestor. I would sometime have to lift and carry him.

I do worry when dogs seize up like this, only because I’d be afraid they were in pain and could not walk. Mine was mostly stubborn.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 12:52 AM

r13, that rescue harness is so cute! Can you use it to for non-emergencies? I'd like to carry my dog around. He weighs 15 lbs and is slightly too big for a bag.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 1:17 AM

So humanity has destroyed another species, finally getting around to the ones closest to it?

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 1:20 AM

I don’t know what gives you that impression, R23. We’re talking about dogs occasionally being stubborn during walks. We’re not talking about German Shepherds’ hip deformities or the abominations that are pugs and French bulldogs who can barely breathe.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 1:23 AM

It is cute R22, but it looks like it would squeeze the poor dog's stomach.

The one in the middle looks really uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 1:24 AM

R24, I think R23 is trying to say that humanity has caused dogs to become fat and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 1:25 AM

I see, R26. Well I don’t know what size that breed is usually supposed to be, but it just looks like the ordinary, occasional episode of stubbornness to me, not laziness caused by obesity. But I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 1:31 AM

Say "hello" to my little frien...err, intern Prancer, who maintains a database of all your addresses ... he prides himself on his aggressive record-keeping.

You should pick up your dog and carry her whenever she wants, as you do not want to be on the receiving end of a house call from Prancer. Trust me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 1:45 AM

That's like a screaming child in public...you're embarassed and don't want to make a scene. Stubborn dog and owner didn't want to yank the dog...in public, at least..lol.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 1:46 AM

R22 I suppose it could be used for non-emergencies, but there are probably similar products that are better suited for everyday use.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 2:50 AM

For R22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 2:51 AM

I would just buy a baby stroller and push him everywhere.

I see lots of people doing that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 7:30 PM

If it's a really big dog the linked is excellent too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 7:33 PM

I'd do anything, for you dear... anything.

Anything! For.... you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 7:35 PM

Why isn't everyone masked, including the dog? That's the important question.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 7:39 PM

It isn't like a dog has never dragged a human.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 7:40 PM

I have a sweet chihuahua who really didn't understand the concept of being walked. She runs around in the backyard, but when we put a leash on her, she would freeze.

When we took her to my mother in law's place, however, my chihuahua watched her dog get walked and immediately figured it out.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2021 8:10 PM

The only thing you can do is zap the dog with a cattle prod.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2021 10:06 PM

Lol R38.

You win!

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2021 10:07 PM

Exactly, R39. It's all about dominance. You have to show Fluffy who's in charge.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2021 6:06 AM

I garrote her with a wire wrapped around a broken paint brush handle.

JUST KIDDING!... I tell her, "Bad dog!"

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2021 6:13 AM

i am a pug owner and he loves walks. when he was a puppy he didn't grasp the idea BEHIND the walk, so it was a learning curve. the only time i've had to pick him up (other than puppyhood) was on a lengthy hike in Tahoe that was a 1400 ft elevation. Well deserved, and he has black fur. I wore him around my neck to get up the mountain. It was a complete miscalculation in judgment on my part and there as an asshole boyfriend involved. But he kept moving until I became concerned that he couldn't make it.

I am sorry and never doing that again.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2021 6:22 AM

I wish you hadn't shared how you abuse that poor pug, R42. Pugs are not built for hiking or any other strenuous activity that could challenge their breathing. Shame on you.

Don't mistake my kind demeanor for weakness; I've been known to bite a bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2021 1:43 AM

Damn. Get your dogs properly trained. Else don't get one. Untrained and "free range" dogs get run over by cars and put down because they aren't in control

Dogs are always happier when they are trained and have an owner who knows what the fuck they are doing. It gives the dog confidence when you have confidence.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2021 2:39 AM

Thank you Cesar Milan R44!

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2021 2:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!