Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Let the richness and depth of flavor of Melissa Clark’s recipe wrap around you like a warm blanket."

Why does so much food writing involve cringey cliched purple prose?

It's the written equivalent of mug cradling.

That, and the insistence on having a very long and boring story up front before you get to the actual ingredients

(Rant over)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2021 12:25 AM

Pretty pictures, but the the lentil / orzo / eggplant dish is the only recipe I feel interested in making.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 5:24 PM

I read somewhere (maybe even here?) that it has something to do with protecting their copyright...recipes alone wouldn't be enough or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 9:36 PM

That makes sense actually R2.

Plus there have been several DL threads about recipes being accused of cultural appropriation. (I seem to remember dumplings)

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 11:46 PM

How can soup look raw?! Ew.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 11:46 PM

Women American women are aesthetic terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 11:48 PM

I used to work on the copy desk of a food magazine where one of the senior editors constantly worked show tunes into stories.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2021 11:52 PM

Clearly OP is unfamiliar with the traditional fustian stylings of British sports’ journalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 11:58 PM

R4 if it’s gazpacho?

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 12:22 PM

R6 Anything from Sweeney Todd?

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 12:48 PM

I read that article yesterday. They posted a vegan chili recipe that does not call for one to use chili powder - that's too unpretentious. No, one must use two or three kinds of fresh chilis in this vegan chili in order for the chili to be able to wrap around you like a warm blanket.

Many of their (NYT) recipes are PRETENTIOUS with difficult / pain in the ass to find ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 1:01 PM

I agree 100% R10

Even in Manhattan many of those ingredients are hard to find and more important, I don't think they necessarily add anything (beyond food snob points) versus a more easily accessed ingredient.

Mostly I use them for inspiration, e.g., combining eggplant, X and Y with Middle Eastern style spices makes a good side dish,

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 1:29 PM

Totally agree, I hate this trend. Why does anybody want to be a recipe writer, anyway? What a stupid fucking thing to be.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 1:35 PM

To use cringey cliched purple prose, God, you lot are a sour bunch.

Has any of you taken a shit since 1970?

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 2:00 PM

^ The irony of your comment is lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 2:23 PM

[quote]That, and the insistence on having a very long and boring story up front before you get to the actual ingredients

Imagine a Rachel Maddow cookbook....

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 2:35 PM

I get really fed up with the thousands of food bloggers who post recipes that are hidden among multiple paragraphs of annoying prose (often with spelling and grammar errors), product placements with links to generate commissions, photos of every single step of the preparation process, etc., etc. By the time I get to the actual recipe I'm usually no longer interested.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 2:38 PM

There are too many pop-up videos and links to their own content for those insufferably long introductions to be about copyright.

It's almost certainly about SEO, a.k.a. search engine optimization. Certain keywords, the number of photos, the kind and amount of links you have, all make your page rank better in Google.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 2:43 PM

Exasperation isn't sour, you old authenticated fool, nor is irritation with old windbags who need to be identified by their license plate approach to identity.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 3:07 PM

Frau cooking blogs are the worst. 3,000 words about Jaydn and Madisynne's likes and dislikes, hubby's dietary restrictions, granny's heirloom mixing bowls, a dozen or more photos of ingredients artfully arranged on a marble countertop... then they finally spit out the recipe. It is my habit to use cmd + F to search the page for a word like "preheat" or "ingredients", so I can quickly skip past all the filler. Recently, on a particularly cloying and precious frau blog, I searched for "preheat" but no results were found on the page. I scrolled down to the recipe and discovered that she had substituted this standard word for "warm your oven to four hundred twenty five degrees". Just... fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 3:34 PM

Many recipe blogs now have a "jump to recipe" button at the top of their pages.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 3:42 PM

It's still odd that the New York Times feels the need to imitate Fraubloggery.

And good call R17-- SEO is definitely the reason.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 3:52 PM

Whenever I search for a recipe idea online, I always use the string "-blog" after the name of the recipe. Amazing how many of the "Jeni's I Heart Mom's Kozy Cooking"-type blogs it filters out.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 3:59 PM

The only thing that's more laughably pretentious than food writing is music writing. I actually enjoy trashy music for what it is, good light fun but so many writers pour on these comically effusive descriptions about payola hits. " Shake Dat Ass gurl is a rhythmic ode ( with obvious mid century mid eastern and Indian influences) to the post modern joy of escapism and love of one's natural form....."

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 4:03 PM

I've been making a Martha Stewart Vegetarian Chili recipe for years and it calls for just Chili powder. It's a very tasty vegan recipe that has easy to find ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 4:34 PM

Can you provide us a link for that R10/R24

Pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 6:06 PM

I understand "richness" and "depth of flavor," OP.

But I've never found "a warm blanket" that actually wrapped all the way around me.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 6:14 PM

[quote]Has any of you taken a shit since 1970?

No, Jesus takes mine away.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 6:42 PM

R25- I put in my version half kidney beans and half pinto beans. I don't make them with canned beans. I soak dried beans overnight then boil and drain and add them to the other ingredients. Either way it's a very tasty vegetarian chili that has unpretentious ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] Why does so much food writing involve cringey cliched purple prose?

Its the same with music. I used to subscribe to Rolling Stone, and much of the the time, i had no idea what the fuck they were talking about. Music and food are sensual and subjective experiences, and a lot of it is hard to describe, but i guess if you’re paid to do it, you’ll try anyway.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 8:41 PM

I made chili today. Technically it's vegan since I used Impossible Beef.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 9:24 PM

Thank you R28 -much appreciated

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 11:24 PM

Beans activate intestinal gas.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 11:31 PM

It looks like sick.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 11:50 PM

Gluten-Free Girl was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2021 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!