Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DC's New Superman Jon Kent Comes Out as Bisexual

The comic book industry has worked to increase LGBTQ+ representation in recent years, and DC is taking a major step forward in 2021. IGN can exclusively reveal that the current Superman, Jon Kent, is coming out as bisexual in the upcoming Superman: Son of Kal-El #5.

For those not up to date on the current DC line, Jon officially inherited the mantle of Superman from his father following the events of the Future State crossover. While Action Comics explores Clark Kent's adventures off-world, the recently launched Superman: Son of Kal-El focuses on the 17-year-old Jon as he grapples with the biggest responsibility of his young life. But at least he has someone new to share that life with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2021 11:44 AM

Fans of the series probably won't be surprised to learn Jon is entering into a relationship with Jay Nakamura, a hacktivist who idolizes Jon's mother Lois and has already lent his new friend a helping hand. And as this image shows, the two friends will become something more when they share their first kiss in issue #5:

"I think Clark said it best when he left Earth in Jon’s hands. Clark was the Superman of tomorrow. Jon is the Superman for the days after," Taylor says. "The question for Jon (and for our creative team) is, what should a new Superman fight for today? Can a seventeen-year-old Superman battle giant robots while ignoring the climate crisis? Of course not. Can someone with super sight and super hearing ignore injustices beyond his borders? Can he ignore the plight of asylum seekers?"

Taylor continues, "When asking these questions, it’s important to acknowledge that Jon isn’t just the son of Kal-El, he’s also the son of Lois Lane. Jon is the son of the fiercest, most effective journalist on the planet. With that, comes a strong sense of right and wrong, an instinctive dislike of corruption and a strong desire for the truth to win over misinformation. But Jon is young and passionate and sometimes how he tackles things will be a bit heavy-handed. And just like we see in our world, when young people speak truth to power, it ruffles the feathers of certain older people who are used to being the loudest voice in the room."

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 4:41 PM

Imagine an erection that could deflect bullets.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 4:44 PM

He looks pretty fruity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 5:26 PM

"Say it ain't so Joe "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 5:59 PM

I want him to meet up with SuperCockMan.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 6:18 PM

The idea that someone as powerful as Superman could even have sex with a normal human is so silly. Lois Lane would be obliterated if they tried.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Bisexual? They just did that with Robin (Tim Drake). I guess it's their way of walking it back if they want to give him a female love interest.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Bisexual is better for writers r7. Keeps their list of potential romantic partners wide open.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2021 6:23 PM

Trashy of DC but still no as bad as the Supergirl bestiality subplot from the mid 60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2021 6:35 PM

I will only accept a biracial, trans, cis, handicapable, SUPERTHEM. Stat.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2021 6:37 PM

r9 I was that horse. I was raped.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2021 7:08 PM

Jon Kent's boyfriend is Asian.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2021 7:24 PM

Wonder if this is why the new Legion of Superheroes series has been put on hiatus, as they were pushing Jon Kent into a relationship with the new butch version of Saturn Girl.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2021 7:25 PM

So, more misrepresentation of gay and bi men by straight men using female consultants aiming at a girl audience with bi male content?

Fuck you, DC.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2021 7:28 PM

r14 did you read the article?

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2021 7:44 PM

I hate how they keep making different characters into Superman, Robin, etc... The fact is that the vast majority of superhero fans, do not actually read the comics. They are fans of Superman, Batman, etc... through their depictions on tv and the movies. Therefore Superman, should always be Clark Kent. Just keep Jon Kent as Superboy or have him make up his own persona.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2021 7:48 PM

So rather than making Conner Kent be into guys and having him hook up with Tim who they outed the other month as its been one of DC's biggest gay ships for decades they make his younger brother the bi one? On some level I respect that level of fan trolling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2021 7:53 PM

Why can't Jon Kent's boyfriend just be white? I am tired of all this forced diversity crap. As a white bi male, I want to feel represented by seeing white bi men in relationships with other white males.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2021 7:58 PM

Pipe down, Senator Graham @ r18.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2021 8:09 PM

Oh shut the fuck up, R18.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2021 8:13 PM

The only white gay men I've seen with Asian men are older.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2021 8:16 PM

The actual story, whether in comics or adaptation is the person behind the mask r16.

Jon acting as Superman isn't replacing Clark Kent, it's a new character having his own adventures. Clark Kent isn't going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2021 8:17 PM

I've zero interest in him. The jerk's faster than a speeding bullet!

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2021 8:20 PM

Whoever that poster was at 18 I already had him on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2021 8:48 PM

Seeing the Pat Robertson crowd freak out over this will be pretty amusing.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2021 8:51 PM

I don't think this is a big deal to the kids who read comics today.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2021 8:56 PM

R22 I know that is how it is in the comics, but to most people Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman, etc... they might have other characters calling themselves by those name, but to the vast majority of people those characters can NEVER be those iconic superheroes.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2021 8:57 PM

Who the hell reads comics after the age of 10? And as a kid, I didn't want Superman kissing anybody - male or female. I hated Lois Lane.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2021 8:58 PM

[Quote]Who the hell reads comics after the age of 10?

Look around you r28. Our entire pop culture is dominated by comic books.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2021 9:14 PM

If you want to read the story of an original larger-than life bisexual, just read Who Is Mr. Zero?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2021 9:17 PM

R29 I know. Marvel, etc. need to go fuck themselves. They're everything wrong with society today and have destroyed the cinema.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2021 9:17 PM

Supes is into Asian twinks.

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2021 9:20 PM

I always thought Jimmy Olsen was a little light in the loafers.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2021 9:50 PM

Conservatives are bitching and moaning

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2021 10:57 PM

So is the big story here that Jon Kent is bisexual or that an Earthling is having sex w a being who is half Kryptonian? Let’s keep things in perspective people.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2021 10:57 PM

Sorry, forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2021 10:57 PM

I guarantee no one bitching had even heard of Jon Kent before today r34. He was only introduced as a character a few years ago and has never even had a love interest before.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2021 11:00 PM

He did, r37. Saturn Girl. See r13.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2021 11:02 PM

Isn't he 17?

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2021 11:04 PM

Batman and Superman kissed once....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2021 11:07 PM

I can't say this didn't get me a little hard: "One of the earliest mainstream comics to feature gays or lesbians appeared in 1980. It was not a positive portrayal. In the story, Bruce Banner, the alter ego of Marvel’s Hulk, is at a Y.M.C.A, where two gay men try to rape him. Things had started to evolve by 1992, when Northstar, another Marvel hero, came out — an event that was praised in an editorial in The New York Times. “Mainstream culture will one day make its peace with gay Americans,” the editorial said. “When that time comes, Northstar’s revelation will be seen for what it is: a welcome indicator of social change.”

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2021 3:35 AM

Connor Kent (Superboy from the 1990s Era) was the biological son of Lex Luthor and Superman. Then the Right Wingers went nuts and he was killed off (He got better and is back)...I would be happier if Connor was bisexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2021 5:58 AM

Giving Jon an ASIAN boyfriend reeks of WOKE...It really does.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2021 5:59 AM

R43 If the Asian bf were were hot, no one would complain.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2021 6:04 AM

I bet the bf will be killed off in no time. Gay Green Lantern of Earth 2 had a hot Asian bf and he was blown up in a couple of issues.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2021 6:07 AM

Has Bryan Singer commented?....Lets not forget Bryan Singers version of Little Teenage Superman...In hindsight the the slow filming shot of young clarks feet to crotch area (1:24) seems creepy. Oh my.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2021 6:37 AM

Talk about killing your brand!

It's so stupid the "We demand representation, or I cannot be gay!" crowd NEEDS everything to be as "Queer" as possible even if the stories are not enhanced. They just want everything queer (or gay as I call it) for queer's sake. It's dumb and cringey, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2021 6:54 AM

R36 Wendy Rogers is a cunt. I can smell her pussy right through the screen of my intelligent device.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2021 7:03 AM

R48 = You are actually TRASH. If the best comeback you can come up with on a gay site is Smelling Pussy you really are retarded. Like TOTALLY retarded. Not just on the spectrum....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2021 7:06 AM

R49 I have no idea why you are such a bitch. You must be new here as comments like that are commonplace on this site. Someone is triggered.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2021 8:10 AM

R50 = NO. I am not "new". And just because YOU do it doesn't mean everyone does it. And just because YOU don't like my response doesn't mean I am "triggered" by an old queen who thinks 1978 "smelly pussy" jargon is hilarious. You are "that" poster who has no idea what a thread is about but you come here to try and be funny---but fail every time...FYI = I found your home video. LINK...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2021 8:53 AM

Had you ever heard of Jon Kent before r47? Didnt think so. So how exactly is this killing the brand? I would love to hear this.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2021 10:12 AM

I blame Lois!

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2021 10:24 AM

I doubt even DCs scheduled CRISIS event in 2023 will help fix anything---though I have a feeling when DC kills off a major character to show they mean business--Jon and his BTS Boyfriend will be high on the list. LINK...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2021 10:26 AM

r54 They're not going to kill him that's way too much bad press. What will happen is once Clark comes back he'll fade into the background and be mentioned about once every 5 years. Which in Jon's case is incredibly easy to do because before Bendis aged him up his only story was about his friendship with Damian. Who will never be allowed to age above mid-teens because it fucks up the Batfamily dynamic too much.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2021 11:57 AM

[quote]Seeing the Pat Robertson crowd freak out over this will be pretty amusing.

Yet these same people had zero issue with Melania Trump eating another chick's snatch in filthy stroke magazines.

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2021 12:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2021 12:14 PM

R43 At least they didn't pair him with a trans and gave him an actual boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2021 12:20 PM

Actually shocked they didn't go that route and call it a day. Homophobes would see it as a het relationship and not care.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2021 12:22 PM

[Quote] Son of Kal-El focuses on the 17-year-old Jon as he grapples with the biggest responsibility of his young life. But at least he has someone new to share that life with.

I hope Superman & Lois follows suit.

[Quote] The idea that someone as powerful as Superman could even have sex with a normal human is so silly. Lois Lane would be obliterated if they tried.

Which is why i prefer Wonder Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2021 12:43 PM

Am I the only gay man who doesn’t give two fucks about super heroes’ sexuality? Do we need to see Bruce Wayne in a caftan??

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2021 1:00 PM

R61, representation matters. This is Superman...ideas of masculinity and American identity are so wrapped up in the character. I read this story in the "New York Times" just now, after reading about Jon Gruden quitting after revelations about his use of racist, sexist, and anti-gay language. Even at the comic book level, representation matters. So great to see this aboutJon Clark coming out as a gay man, after reading Gruden using racist tropes in describing a Black man, calling the NFL commissioner a "faggot," and lamenting the drafting of "queers," after Michael Sam came out.

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2021 1:09 PM

What’s it like to kiss without a mouth?

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2021 1:15 PM

on Cbs this morning show, their segment on this had the onscreen down below heading of "superman comes out"...

is this entirely accurate??...

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2021 1:21 PM

R64 technically yes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2021 1:35 PM

R52 OF COURSE, he hasn't.

BTW "Killing their brand" is the excuse incels use when something threatens their precious heteronormativity.

R18 is the "Only white people are desirable" TROLL. His punctuality amuses me, but I don't believe his act for a second. Probably has NPR AND CNN going in the background while he's trolling. YAWN.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2021 1:38 PM

Yes, R15.

Apparently you don't know how to read "Marketing 101" or smell bullshit, which usually is an indication that the smell has been around you so long you're used to it.

I'm well-versed in DC's activities, from the Golden and Silver Age through the spasms and permutations that have led to the Superman "present." I know all about the writers, DC's decision making over time, and the rest.

It's a comic and entertainment franchise that has to try to stay relevant to tweens, twinks, demanding women and womyn and the occasional seven-year-old boy, while churning out something "adults" (try to figure out what THAT means today) will pay for. And this against the Monster that is Marvel.

No once with a mind cares or is surprised that they tinker with social issues. But just as the introduction of black characters decades ago struck as cynical tokenism while attempting to be "socially responsive and appropriately inclusive," bisexuality is a cheat here. And it won't make any kind of impact after the first ripple of response.

Also, am I really the only one who remembers that Kal-El/Clark/Superboy already had a boyfriend, Freddy Shaw, his "best friend," with whom he shared his secrets and who, in a fit of fatal brain fever, divulged Clark's identity to his criminal brother before having a tearful deathbed reunion scene? I had old comics from cousins who were collectors, and when I read that one as a boy I knew what gay was and that I was gay and it was no big deal. That edition came out in December 1959. When I mentioned the content to the gay cousin who had collected the comics, he said, "I know."

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2021 2:25 PM

Will the new bisexual superman's pink-haired *hacktivist* boyfriend be killed not by an evil entity, but by KILLWARE??? I think it is a strong possibility.

by Anonymousreply 68October 12, 2021 2:33 PM

When the Hulk's alter-ego Bruce Banner almost got raped by gay men at the YMCA... (Part I)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 12, 2021 3:39 PM

When the Hulk's alter-ego Bruce Banner almost got raped by gay men at the YMCA... (Part II)

"Oh, pith!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 12, 2021 3:41 PM

Bruce wanted it.

by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2021 3:47 PM

I love how "Dewey," the guy about to rape Bruce, has a hairdo and physique like Peter Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2021 3:48 PM

R56 because straight people, men in general, don’t have issues with lesbians it’s always gay men that has a so called agenda

And yet straight men have promoted (female) homosexuality more than any other group, so they’re the ones pushing an agenda and homosexuality

Self awareness is lost on them

by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2021 3:49 PM

DC's New Superman Jon Kent Comes Out as Bisexual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2021 5:20 PM

If your sense of your authentic self is so fragile that a second tier Superman being gay is the "representation" you must have in order to live your life I feel sorry for you.

You're not going to make it.

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2021 8:26 PM

Jim Shooter is the person who wrote the Bruce Banner near rape issue.

He based that on his own experience at the YMCA.

by Anonymousreply 76October 13, 2021 12:03 AM

And because of this, the second rate tv actor is bent out of shape. What does he expect? These super heros wear fabulous capes and tights.

by Anonymousreply 77October 13, 2021 1:24 AM

[Quote] They said it's a bold new direction, I say they're bandwagoning. Robin just came out as bi — who's really shocked about that one? The new Captain America is gay. My daughter in [The CW series] 'Supergirl,' where I played the father, was gay. So I don't think it's bold or brave or some crazy new direction. If they had done this 20 years ago, perhaps that would be bold or brave," Cain argued during his visit to ' morning machine. And we know what you're thinking. You're wondering if the ex-"Man of Steel" has a better idea of how DC Comics' Superman aka Jon Kent could keep fighting for "Truth, Justice & The (Apparently) Heterosexual Way." Well, guess what? He does!

[Quote] "Brave would be having him fighting for the rights of gay people in Iran where they'll throw you off a building for the offense of being gay. They're talking about having him fight climate change and the deportation of refugees and he's dating a hacktivist — whatever a 'hactivist' is. Why don't they have him fight the injustices that created the refugees whose deportation he's protesting? That would be brave, I'd read that," Cain explained between banging his cane on his front porch and kicking "those damn kids" off his front lawn. "Or fighting for the rights of women to attend school and have the ability to work and live and boys not to be raped by men under the new warm and fuzzy Taliban — that would be brave. There's real evil in this world today, real corruption and government overreach, plenty of things to fight against. Human trafficking — real and actual slavery going on … It'd be great to tackle those issues."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 13, 2021 2:58 AM

R75 I must've missed THAT post. Could tell me the R?

by Anonymousreply 79October 13, 2021 1:29 PM

I said this in the bisexual Robin thread and I will say it again: "bi-sexualizing" established characters (Superman, Robin, Deadpool, Star lord, Loki, etc) is the most cynical corporate exercise at wokeness. You get all the asspats from the press and deranged twitter activists, but you also have the ability to return the character to heterosexuality at any moment. If these people had any balls, we would be seeing more gay male heroes. And don't give me the "but what about Iceman??" shtick: that shit went absolutely nowhere.

Comic books are a dying industry anyway. Manga sales should serve as a reminder that people are looking for interesting characters and compelling stories, not schizophrenic political lectures filled with strawmen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2021 5:18 PM

He needs to be dating someone from the Bat family, to keep up the tradition.

by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2021 12:04 AM

R81 which one??

by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2021 6:40 AM

After all those years of standing up for “Truth, Justice and the American Way,” Clark Kent has a new rallying cry. As part of DC FanDome, DC Chief Creative Officer and Publisher Jim Lee announced Superman has a new mission statement aimed at better reflecting the modern day.

His new mission statement? “Truth, Justice and A Better Tomorrow.”

=============

The next problem we must address is "Superman" is an intolerable name. 𝑺𝒖𝒑𝒆𝒓 is not only Ableist but is Elitist by suggesting Superman is better and more powerful than others. And 𝑴𝒂𝒏 is Sexist and Exclusionary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2021 6:59 AM

I thought DiDio was lousy--then Bendis came to DC and fucked everything up..He actually made the Legion WORSE (which nobody thought was possible)...Even the Legion costumes suck...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2021 7:25 AM

R83, I’m surprised his new mission statement isn’t “truth, social justice, and a more equitable tomorrow!”

by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2021 7:52 AM

An Asian "Hacktivist" boyfriend with pink hair is so on point I can't stand it. Wow, they really checked all the boxes with that one.

by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2021 8:08 AM

Rather amusingly neither the Superman or Batman editorial offices had told the other what they were doing and have apparently spent the last few weeks sniping at each other for treading on each others toes. Still DC did just give me this so I still like them more than Marvel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2021 11:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!