Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix's MAID .... it's terrific!

Margaret Qualley is outstanding, and so are Nick Robinson and Andie MacDowell. The only downside was the screen time the kid has. Most kids aren't very good actors, and she's proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 12:16 PM

I really like it, excellent performances all around. I had no idea that the woman who plays Alex is Andie MacDowell’s daughter in real life. Andie’s character reminds me too much of a family member and makes me uncomfortable to watch but she is outstanding. If anyone thinks she is playing over the top they don’t know someone with unmedicated BPD/bi-polar.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 6:44 PM

Margaret is so painful thin in this, I wonder if she lost weight to convey the fragility of her character. I’m liking the surreal inserts that reflect the overwhelming nature she’s experiencing at times, like all the forms having nasty comments on top like “Slut” and “White Trash.”

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 9:37 PM

I know it’s filmed in Canada, but where is it supposed to be taking place? They talked about Fisher’s Island in the first episode, which is part of Long Island, but physically closer to Connecticut, but I’m not getting like it trying to give vibes of either of those places.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 9:40 PM

The setting is supposed to be Orcas Island in San Juan County which is northwest of Seattle. Wealthy people have homes there including Oprah who just sold her place.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 9:46 PM

Yes, totally a Pacific Northwest vibe. Great show and I just found out it’s based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 11:13 PM

I fell in love with Nick Robinson in Love, Simon and then again in Maid! He's a great actor! I'm guessing he's straight but I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 12:08 AM

Is it depressing OP?

Or more hopeful?

I can deal with a Nomadland vibe

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 12:11 AM

I’m really impressed how well this bleak and emotionally jarring series is doing on Netflix, it was number two last time I looked. And also how Nick Robinson is willing to take on this role and his earlier one in The Teacher, which wanted to say important things and make a statement, but couldn’t pull it off, unlike this series which hopefully opens up some good conversations and reflections on the working poor and the trap of poverty.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 12:14 AM

R7 Not OP and only on episode 3, but I will say there are some really devastating moments that break your heart as events happen that seem to become insurmountable road blocks, but then when something is good or turns out well they seem earned and hopeful, even if it’s just a bag of left behind toys that seem like a much needed windfall and make the world a hundred times better at the bleakest moment.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 12:18 AM

Thanks R9

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 12:23 AM

R2 I don’t know how she looked before this but I thought they wanted someone skinny to convey lack of food.

Margaret Qualley was a ballerina and model before becoming an actress. I had to look her up because I never heard of her before or saw her in anything. She is a really good actress and has an interesting face.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 6:19 PM

Halfway through episode one and I am already crying.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2021 7:17 PM

R12, buckle up, Buttercup, it is wrenching but there are bright spots and rays of hope.

Definitely not something I can binge watch. The episodes are about an hour long and draining. It’s a show that stays on my mind and keeps me thinking about it in between episodes. I can’t think of another show that is this thought provoking. I wish more DLers were into it to have a discussion.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2021 8:53 PM

I’m sorry but I find Margaret Qualley a very mediocre actress. Not Emma Watson level, but close.

Sydney Sweeney is incredibly better, also cute, if not more for straight guys standards (is that a thing?) and also around her age but is much more undervalued. Nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2021 9:03 PM

"Not Emma Watson level, but close."

*snort*

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2021 9:06 PM

I like Margaret Qualley but she’s been anorexic for years. She didn’t lose weight for this part.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2021 9:06 PM

My partner and I watched and now I think we emotionally abuse each other but not in a threatening way so maybe it's just love

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2021 9:07 PM

R15 Sorry if I offended you Emma. How is work?

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2021 9:26 PM

Only an underwear shot of cutie Nick Robinson. Come on, Netflix!

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 9:44 AM

Why does Qualley look like Chalamet in drag? (Yes it was a very good series that stays with you for days.)

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 10:22 AM

The lesbians should have given her another chance before kicking her out.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2021 8:05 AM

I was feeling sorry for Nick's character when he was trying to win her back. I really wanted them to get back together but he turned into a monster in a snap when he found out about her future plans so, yeah, it was better for her to leave . Watching this show was heartbreaking.

I thought the engineer guy was pretty hot, especially without his shirt. He could trim his beard a little more.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2021 8:17 AM

Does Nick show anything? Cock or arse?

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2021 10:00 AM

The only part that rang false was her getting that fabulous lakeside apartment in exchange for some light gardening.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2021 4:31 PM

“Light gardening” wasn’t what you thought it was, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2021 4:37 PM

Great show

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2021 4:39 PM

R14 She’s no Paul Qualley, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2021 4:39 PM

Anyone else super impressed with Nick Robinson? He seems more talented than Tom Cruise, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 8:05 AM

OMG! Another boring shitshow from NetFlix, overhyped to the max by overweight NF shills. But, no, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 8:42 AM

I've been avoiding this show because I think Andie McDowell is a horrible actress. She might be qualified for Hallmark movies but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 11:52 AM

Andie McDowall is the LOWlight of this show (sorry, Andie), but what is really wonderful about the series is it highlights how FUCKED you are unless you grow up with some sort of privilege and if you are underprivileged in what whatever way. it's virtually impossible to get yourself out of a bad, abusive situation without some sort of help or Superman-like determination to lift yourself out and figure out the Social Services system.

Margaret Qualley was amazing in this role. She played it very well and since I've gone through the system to some extent, I felt like I related to her situation in a way.

I've watched this twice now...it was very thought provoking.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 12:09 PM

Margaret Qualley was riveting, her mom Andie McDowell not so much.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 12:11 PM

[quote]I really wanted them to get back together

Wow, you really missed the whole point of this show.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote]The lesbians should have given her another chance before kicking her out.

Why? It's not like they were watching the show along with us, they didn't know Alex for more than a minute until she moved in. They took a chance on a single mom and let her live in their rental property rent-free. Their generosity was rewarded with a loud party on their property and a half naked man breaking into their house and passing out. I don't think many people in that situation would be giving out second chances, let's be real for a moment.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 12:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!