Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix's MAID .... it's terrific!

Margaret Qualley is outstanding, and so are Nick Robinson and Andie MacDowell. The only downside was the screen time the kid has. Most kids aren't very good actors, and she's proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 19, 2022 3:32 PM

I really like it, excellent performances all around. I had no idea that the woman who plays Alex is Andie MacDowell’s daughter in real life. Andie’s character reminds me too much of a family member and makes me uncomfortable to watch but she is outstanding. If anyone thinks she is playing over the top they don’t know someone with unmedicated BPD/bi-polar.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 6:44 PM

Margaret is so painful thin in this, I wonder if she lost weight to convey the fragility of her character. I’m liking the surreal inserts that reflect the overwhelming nature she’s experiencing at times, like all the forms having nasty comments on top like “Slut” and “White Trash.”

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 9:37 PM

I know it’s filmed in Canada, but where is it supposed to be taking place? They talked about Fisher’s Island in the first episode, which is part of Long Island, but physically closer to Connecticut, but I’m not getting like it trying to give vibes of either of those places.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 9:40 PM

The setting is supposed to be Orcas Island in San Juan County which is northwest of Seattle. Wealthy people have homes there including Oprah who just sold her place.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 9:46 PM

Yes, totally a Pacific Northwest vibe. Great show and I just found out it’s based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 11:13 PM

I fell in love with Nick Robinson in Love, Simon and then again in Maid! He's a great actor! I'm guessing he's straight but I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 12:08 AM

Is it depressing OP?

Or more hopeful?

I can deal with a Nomadland vibe

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 12:11 AM

I’m really impressed how well this bleak and emotionally jarring series is doing on Netflix, it was number two last time I looked. And also how Nick Robinson is willing to take on this role and his earlier one in The Teacher, which wanted to say important things and make a statement, but couldn’t pull it off, unlike this series which hopefully opens up some good conversations and reflections on the working poor and the trap of poverty.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 12:14 AM

R7 Not OP and only on episode 3, but I will say there are some really devastating moments that break your heart as events happen that seem to become insurmountable road blocks, but then when something is good or turns out well they seem earned and hopeful, even if it’s just a bag of left behind toys that seem like a much needed windfall and make the world a hundred times better at the bleakest moment.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 12:18 AM

Thanks R9

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 12:23 AM

R2 I don’t know how she looked before this but I thought they wanted someone skinny to convey lack of food.

Margaret Qualley was a ballerina and model before becoming an actress. I had to look her up because I never heard of her before or saw her in anything. She is a really good actress and has an interesting face.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 6:19 PM

Halfway through episode one and I am already crying.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2021 7:17 PM

R12, buckle up, Buttercup, it is wrenching but there are bright spots and rays of hope.

Definitely not something I can binge watch. The episodes are about an hour long and draining. It’s a show that stays on my mind and keeps me thinking about it in between episodes. I can’t think of another show that is this thought provoking. I wish more DLers were into it to have a discussion.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2021 8:53 PM

I’m sorry but I find Margaret Qualley a very mediocre actress. Not Emma Watson level, but close.

Sydney Sweeney is incredibly better, also cute, if not more for straight guys standards (is that a thing?) and also around her age but is much more undervalued. Nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2021 9:03 PM

"Not Emma Watson level, but close."

*snort*

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2021 9:06 PM

I like Margaret Qualley but she’s been anorexic for years. She didn’t lose weight for this part.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2021 9:06 PM

My partner and I watched and now I think we emotionally abuse each other but not in a threatening way so maybe it's just love

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2021 9:07 PM

R15 Sorry if I offended you Emma. How is work?

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2021 9:26 PM

Only an underwear shot of cutie Nick Robinson. Come on, Netflix!

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 9:44 AM

Why does Qualley look like Chalamet in drag? (Yes it was a very good series that stays with you for days.)

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 10:22 AM

The lesbians should have given her another chance before kicking her out.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2021 8:05 AM

I was feeling sorry for Nick's character when he was trying to win her back. I really wanted them to get back together but he turned into a monster in a snap when he found out about her future plans so, yeah, it was better for her to leave . Watching this show was heartbreaking.

I thought the engineer guy was pretty hot, especially without his shirt. He could trim his beard a little more.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2021 8:17 AM

Does Nick show anything? Cock or arse?

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2021 10:00 AM

The only part that rang false was her getting that fabulous lakeside apartment in exchange for some light gardening.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2021 4:31 PM

“Light gardening” wasn’t what you thought it was, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2021 4:37 PM

Great show

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2021 4:39 PM

R14 She’s no Paul Qualley, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2021 4:39 PM

Anyone else super impressed with Nick Robinson? He seems more talented than Tom Cruise, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 8:05 AM

OMG! Another boring shitshow from NetFlix, overhyped to the max by overweight NF shills. But, no, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 8:42 AM

I've been avoiding this show because I think Andie McDowell is a horrible actress. She might be qualified for Hallmark movies but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 11:52 AM

Andie McDowall is the LOWlight of this show (sorry, Andie), but what is really wonderful about the series is it highlights how FUCKED you are unless you grow up with some sort of privilege and if you are underprivileged in what whatever way. it's virtually impossible to get yourself out of a bad, abusive situation without some sort of help or Superman-like determination to lift yourself out and figure out the Social Services system.

Margaret Qualley was amazing in this role. She played it very well and since I've gone through the system to some extent, I felt like I related to her situation in a way.

I've watched this twice now...it was very thought provoking.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 12:09 PM

Margaret Qualley was riveting, her mom Andie McDowell not so much.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 12:11 PM

[quote]I really wanted them to get back together

Wow, you really missed the whole point of this show.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote]The lesbians should have given her another chance before kicking her out.

Why? It's not like they were watching the show along with us, they didn't know Alex for more than a minute until she moved in. They took a chance on a single mom and let her live in their rental property rent-free. Their generosity was rewarded with a loud party on their property and a half naked man breaking into their house and passing out. I don't think many people in that situation would be giving out second chances, let's be real for a moment.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 12:16 PM

I knew nothing about this and I thought it was going to be something a little different. But I like that it's not what I expect. I'm four episodes in. It's quite good. The direction and writing are consistent and engrossing. At times, I find myself feeling secondhand anxiety.

I've only seen Qualley in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (she's the hitchhiker who flirts with Brad Pitt's character). She is more mature here and suits the role. She reminds me of a younger Linda Cardellini and holds down the fort. MacDowell surprised me. Her performance does feel one-note, but she's playing it better than I expect of her. And I love her hair. Robinson is showing some range in another more mature role from his work in Love, Simon. I think the little girl is cute and does the role just fine. I also like the actress who plays Danielle, Aimee Carrero.

I was always impressed with what the series Roseanne 1.0 did in the late 80s and 90s. And, unfortunately, there hasn't been much that has met that level in quality. But, so far, I think this show does. It really illuminates real life for a lot of people, but it doesn't pander. In my hopelessly utopian mind, I would like to think this series opens up minds and gets people to change attitudes and behaviours towards the working class.

Excellent soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 35October 29, 2021 2:08 PM

As someone who actively avoids watching anything with Andie MacDowell, I was already hooked before I realized she was in this. I thought her performance as the selfish, manic, artist mother was spot on. I have known people like this in my personal and professional life and it just rang so true. These people self-destruct and blow up the lives of everyone around them--the collateral damage they cause is widespread and substantial.

by Anonymousreply 36October 29, 2021 2:24 PM

MQ was alright in the excellent "The Leftovers." Maybe being with Shia has allowed her to tap into some well of anxiety and angst?

by Anonymousreply 37October 29, 2021 2:26 PM

It’s a very powerful series and incredibly well done. I’m still amazed how well it’s doing on Netflix against much different fare, but holding its own. In many ways it feels like a companion piece to Nomadland, and despite the bleak subject matter I’m surprised and happy this message and glimpse into this side of America is being seen by so many. And the fact that it based on a true story strengthens its message and impact. I really hope it carries forward and is well awarded.

by Anonymousreply 38October 29, 2021 5:51 PM

This is a nice set of mini interviews with the cast. I’m so surprised to find out wealthy lawyer lady was played by Anika Noni Rose, I still think of her as a musical theater star and the young teen in Caroline or Change. Because it’s so easy to skip over credits I just never made that connection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2021 7:03 AM

I know we’re supposed to hate Sean but Nick Robinson is so hot I keep hoping they can redeem him somehow.

by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2021 7:44 AM

I generally like sad, maudlin stuff. But damn. Just watched the pilot and it was too bleak even for me.

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2021 8:06 AM

I'm halfway through the first episode and it is depressing, does it get better?

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2021 1:58 AM

No, R42. Kind of like real life..

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2021 2:01 AM

I am getting stressed watching it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2021 7:15 AM

Because of this thread, watched the next few episodes. It's actually really good! Still very depressing, but Andie's daughter is a really likable actress.

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2021 7:19 AM

This reminded me of when I read Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt and the horrific and deeply sad things he experienced as a child. The only way I could keep myself reading was knowing that he had in fact survived it and found a better life in the end and wasn’t so wrecked by it all that he could still share his story. That was in back of my mind watching this, you know she made it out and survived it since there’s a book and a limited series about her life. That might make it easier to watch.

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2021 7:20 AM

I'm glad people are continuing to watch this. It was depressing, but it's real life and real circumstances. The difficulties that the character experienced happen every day to people all over the country. The systems we have in place to assist people in situations such as hers are not at all sufficient and difficult to navigate for even the smartest people.

I also did like the ending.

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2021 7:31 AM

If you’re into more social reality punishment after this series, I started and recommend watching Dopesick on Hulu about the evil Sackler Oxycotin empire and the devastation and havoc it wrecked on American society as the force behind the opiate addiction that has destroyed so many lives and community. Most of the episodes are available with a few more on the way.

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2021 7:52 AM

[quote] The difficulties that the character experienced happen every day to people all over the country. The systems we have in place to assist people in situations such as hers are not at all sufficient and difficult to navigate for even the smartest people.

And if this show is any indication, the people that are supposed to be helping you treat you like garbage.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2021 4:33 PM

My housecleaners just left. Every Monday morning I lock myself away in my home office and pretend not to feel guilty about the work they are doing.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2021 4:38 PM

SPOILER

I am glad she didn't take her mom with her, she would just be a problem

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2021 6:54 AM

[qyote]My housecleaners just left. Every Monday morning I lock myself away in my home office and pretend not to feel guilty about the work they are doing.

Why? You're providing work for them. Why do you feel guilty? Are you paying them well? Or is it the dehumanizing way that you avoid them that bothers you more?

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2021 6:45 PM

Is it over or will they do another series? I hope they don't. Where do they go now?

by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2021 6:47 PM

It's called "Maid," not "The Margaret Qualley Show," R53. It's over. She's not a maid for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2021 6:48 PM

I don't look forward to your story, R54, though the Pointless Cunt title can't be improved upon.

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2021 6:52 PM

Was that really necessary, R54? Is your life really as empty as that?

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2021 6:53 PM

Oh my fucking god, get the fuck over it you moron.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2021 6:55 PM

Fuck off, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2021 6:56 PM

Ivy Getty should be tied to a chair and forced to watch this series on repeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2021 7:42 PM

I just finished. A wonderful series.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2021 5:59 AM

I watched the first four episodes and thought it was shit. When she asked the rich black lady about the room decorated for a child and the lady paused and said she was just staging the room to sell the house, I knew she lying and the kid was either dead or miscarried. About as subtle as a Lifetime Original Movie. I don't find these poverty tourism movies/tv shows very interesting. Maybe if I had spent the last few decades in the upper middle class I was feel differently. I felt the same way about Nomadland, boring and depressing voyeurism. Oh and Andie's daughter can't act.

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2021 8:04 AM

R61 You're single and bitter, we get it.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2021 12:57 PM

I think this is a series where it takes a couple episodes to get into it. When I first started watching it I found it so depressing but then I got involved in the story.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2021 3:05 PM

Anyone think Nick Robinson is gay? He doesn't ping for me, but my gay-dar is broken lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 16, 2021 9:47 AM

^ Seriously? That's about as desperate as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 65November 16, 2021 11:40 AM

Nick shows a lot of range with this role.

by Anonymousreply 66November 16, 2021 11:48 AM

He was fuckable and I can see how you could fall for him when he is being nice. But if you dropped your guard he would get nasty again.

by Anonymousreply 67November 16, 2021 12:46 PM

R65 And if anyone knows desperation, it's you, Princess.

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2021 6:22 PM

[quote] Anyone think Nick Robinson is gay? He doesn't ping for me, but my gay-dar is broken lately.

He puts up a fair amount of stuff on Instagram with his girlfriend in it.

by Anonymousreply 69November 16, 2021 7:11 PM

R50, my mom cleaned houses. She liked it. There were other things she could have done (she was a whiz typist but hated sitting at a desk), but she liked being active and making things clean and having a flexible schedule. The thing she didn’t like was when the people were home, hanging around like she wouldn’t do it right if they weren’t there.

I did a bit of it, too, when I was starting out and needed a few extra bucks. The only person who made me feel bad was an old lady who made me clean the soot from her sliding window tracks with a toothbrush and scrub the grey from her shirt cuffs. I couldn’t tell you why it bothered me, but it felt demeaning. Maybe it was the way she spoke to me.

In short, don’t feel bad. Those cleaners are happy to be working and probably enjoy it a lot more than other things they could be doing. Just be nice and refer them to other people and they’ll be thrilled to bits.

by Anonymousreply 70November 16, 2021 8:11 PM

Bearding, 69.

by Anonymousreply 71November 16, 2021 8:18 PM

Not single and not really bitter, r62. But I'm sorry you are so easily impressed.

by Anonymousreply 72November 17, 2021 6:43 AM

I commented upthread a ways when I said the processes in place aren't always helpful and often difficult to navigate.

I spent 6 months homeless and after getting off the street with the help of family/friends/counseling, started my foray back into the workplace by working as a housecleaner. I had a few clients but one major one that I cleaned for 3 days a week. They had 3 young kids, were living in an "in law house" on their parents estate and were very privileged. However, they were very nice to me and provided me all the tools I needed. When the wife/mother gave feedback, she was very nice. I had to stop the job after close to a year because I sustained a severe tennis elbow injury from lugging the vacuum upstairs 3 times a week. This lasted for over 3 years and was extremely painful. Effectively ended my housecleaning gigs and all my gardening activities. It still flares up from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 73November 17, 2021 7:10 AM

The hoarder who was ashamed to hire her would not have given up all that shit so easily.

by Anonymousreply 74November 17, 2021 7:28 AM

When I was a colorist on 5th Av. I got to do Andie MacDowell‘s hair and know her regular colorist so it’s funny to me she grew all her color out. The show is hard to watch and triggering- my mom did similar things with her property and neglected huge swaths of her life just like the character.

by Anonymousreply 75November 17, 2021 7:32 AM

R72 And we'll add "liar" to the list. You really need to get out of the trailer once in a while, Magilla.

by Anonymousreply 76November 17, 2021 7:51 AM

This was beautifully written and filmed. I loved Anika Noni Rose’s character—she was a bitch when you didn’t expect her to be and then kind when you didn’t expect her to be. (I hate when someone in a show is acting up and you know they’re going to get caught…stressful.) I loved all the small characters, like the woman in the assistance office, the mom class teacher, etc. And Maddie was so cute.

But…Margaret Qualley’s performance just didn’t work for me, her acting felt so false. The show was so strong that it didn’t ruin the experience for me but I wish they had cast a nobody who could actually act.

by Anonymousreply 77November 25, 2021 2:24 AM

Is this like Precious for white people?

by Anonymousreply 78November 25, 2021 2:38 AM

Andie is still gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 79November 25, 2021 2:42 AM

I really like the lead. She played it subtle most of the time which I appreciated.

While she's pretty enough, it must be tough to know she'll ever be as stunning as her mom. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 80November 25, 2021 4:29 AM

Qualley has an offbeat beauty and quirkiness. She was really stunning as Ann Reinking in that Fosse tv thing.

by Anonymousreply 81November 25, 2021 12:12 PM

I would have liked to see the actress from Booksmart and Unbelievable (the limited series from last year about a sexual assault) in Margaret Qualley’s part—Kaitlyn Dever. She can really act.

by Anonymousreply 82November 25, 2021 12:25 PM

Thanks for letting us know that, Kaitlyn Dever.

by Anonymousreply 83November 25, 2021 2:03 PM

Kaitlyn was busy playing poor lesbian Appalachian blue collar trash strung out on OxyContin and heroin on Dopesick to be the lead in Maid. She’s getting lots of accolades and perhaps awards recognition will follow. I’ll say it again, if this series gripped you, I think you will find Dopesick interesting as well. It’s thread is also quite active even though all the episodes dropped weeks ago. It’s on Hulu in the US.

by Anonymousreply 84November 25, 2021 2:52 PM

I really love Margaret Qualley in everything I’ve seen her in. She reminds me of a young, quirky Sandy Dennis.

by Anonymousreply 85December 18, 2021 5:10 AM

Me too, she was fab in The Leftovers & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 86December 18, 2021 5:27 AM

Just finished episode 7. I can only watch one or two episodes at a time because it’s just so fucking sad. Beautifully done but sad. Great cast but, for me, Andie is the standout.

by Anonymousreply 87December 22, 2021 5:57 AM

Andie is phenomenal in this! I still hear her cackle, & her “heh-heh” nervous laugh that ends practically all sentences. Even deglammed, she still looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 88December 22, 2021 6:06 AM

Why can’t we get films made about men experiencing constant abuse at the hands of women?

by Anonymousreply 89December 22, 2021 6:25 AM

It's female outrage pornography.

by Anonymousreply 90December 22, 2021 6:26 AM

The series Maid is misandry shot and presented as an empowering chick-flick. Every male character is bad in it. Hollywood has been on overdrive subtly and not-so-subtly streaming the belief that all men are the enemy and all women are victims. Be aware.

by Anonymousreply 91December 22, 2021 6:27 AM

Uh, there were plenty of nasty female characters (her thieving coworker), Anika’s hot & cold character, etc. and some nice guys in it too (the hot engineer who was in love with her).

by Anonymousreply 92December 22, 2021 6:30 AM

r95 Nate and he kicked her out because she wouldn’t sleep with him.

by Anonymousreply 93December 22, 2021 6:40 AM

. The distinctive thing about it is that every male character is an absolute horror. I mean: every single one. There’s the abusive babyfather who swings between violence and remorse; the maid’s own father, another wife-beater; and a slew of shifty, venal stepdads. The bit-part men are shockers too: uncaring landlords, supercilious doctors. Even the men we never meet but merely hear discussed are abusive. The only male initially appearing decent is a chap called Nate who saves our heroine from homelessness. But then he boots her out again because she won’t sleep with him. (‘Classic toxic knight-saviour,’ according to social media.)

Maid is ‘hard to watch but it’s important,’ said the reviews. Well, that’s straight untrue. Maid is frighteningly easy to watch, which is why it’s so popular, but also why it’s pernicious. This is misandry shot and presented as an empowering chick-flick. Settle in, make popcorn, enjoy the intoxicating feeling of sticking it to men, all men.

by Anonymousreply 94December 22, 2021 7:12 AM

^pernicious, well said. As well as morally suspect.

by Anonymousreply 95December 22, 2021 7:16 AM

Special mention for the little girl playing Maddie. Cute without being annoying and my heart breaks for her.

by Anonymousreply 96December 22, 2021 3:11 PM

I finished this a few weeks ago and overall found it terrific. What's especially weird is I occasionally think about the characters and miss seeing them. I never liked Andi McD in anything, starting with St Elmo's FIre, but I liked her immensely in this, and miss hearing that little laugh (hee hee). I liked how unpredictable it was....you kept expecting certain characters to "save" Qualley's character but she refused to take the easy out on multiple occasions.

by Anonymousreply 97December 22, 2021 3:21 PM

Nate didn’t “kick her out for not sleeping with him.” She literally showed up on his doorstep with her crazy mother and young kid. He let them stay. Until she stayed out all night, left her kid with him while she fucked her abusive ex. Yes, Nate may have had a romantic interest in her and a desire to help her but she sabotaged that and he realized there was no future with her. Self preservation move.

by Anonymousreply 98December 22, 2021 4:35 PM

For the love of god, won’t somebody think of the poor men!

by Anonymousreply 99December 24, 2021 2:03 PM

Who do you imagine the audience would be for that, R89? What would the plot be? What would be the message of such a work?

by Anonymousreply 100December 24, 2021 2:51 PM

I just finished the last three episodes and thought the whole thing was amazing. Andie was phenomenal and Qualley held the whole thing together. Also thought Nick did a good job playing an asshole. I actually felt sorry for him at the end because we know he’ll never change. He’ll keep drinking, probably knock someone else up and spend the rest of his life in that trailer. This one is going to stay with me for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 101December 24, 2021 3:02 PM

I liked it too. Now I need a new show.

by Anonymousreply 102December 27, 2021 4:47 AM

^psst, Yellowjackets

by Anonymousreply 103December 27, 2021 4:49 AM

I highly recommend “In My Skin” on Hulu. Similar themes to “Maid”. Dark and funny at times, and ultimately uplifting.

by Anonymousreply 104December 27, 2021 5:00 AM

[quote] Sydney Sweeney is incredibly better, also cute, if not more for straight guys standards (is that a thing?) and also around her age but is much more undervalued.

Sydney Sweeney is not undervalued at all. She has multiple prestige TV roles. She also made the mistake of going soft core for the incredibly bad The Voyeurs and making shitty horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 105December 27, 2021 12:45 PM

Just finished it.

Like R87 I could only do one episode at a time with breaks in between,

Qualley, McDowell and Robinson were all excellent.

I thought there was a lot of nuance too--Alex (Qualley) was not very nice to the Indian engineer guy, sort of took advantage of him, she was also very unsympathetic to Sean (Robinson) when he was trying to get over the alcoholism. or even to Regina (Rose) when she was looking for help with her kids. There was something very guarded about her, which was understandable given her background, but she was often a cipher to the people around her.

I think you were supposed to feel badly for Sean when he was trying to turn things around and then, especially in the scene where he gets fired, realize how emotionally abusive he was, especially when drunk;.

Two Questions:

1. Did they ever explain why she did not go to college the first time? She'd gotten a scholarship then too. Was it because she was pregnant with Maddie?

2. Do they ever hint at why she decided to go through with the pregnancy given the impact it would have on her future?

by Anonymousreply 106December 27, 2021 8:01 PM

To answer your first question, my take is that she felt like she had to take care of her mother, & couldn’t be away from her for so long.

by Anonymousreply 107December 27, 2021 8:07 PM

Thanks R107 - that is a valid theory. Mostly confirming they never explicitly said why she did not go.

by Anonymousreply 108December 27, 2021 8:12 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 109December 28, 2021 11:44 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, R103 and R104. I’ll check those out.

by Anonymousreply 110December 29, 2021 6:10 PM

I'm glad Andie MacDowell is getting a little love in this thread for her performance. I know she has a reputation for being an awful actress, but I though she was really fantastic in this. I found her really believable as a mentally I'll mother.

by Anonymousreply 111January 17, 2022 1:13 AM

Netflix's MAID is NOT terrific

I lost interest after 3 episodes when I watched it in November.

by Anonymousreply 112January 17, 2022 1:27 AM

Oh, well then, R112, let’s shut this thread down right now.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2022 3:27 AM

Currently on ep 5. Trying to avoid spoilers in this thread. So far it’s good, not great (I heard nothing but raves from friends). It’s very depressing, but seems to have picked up. Not sure if I like MQ in the role or not.

by Anonymousreply 114May 15, 2022 11:59 PM

Have you finished it R114?

by Anonymousreply 115May 19, 2022 4:51 AM

R115, I have.

by Anonymousreply 116May 19, 2022 3:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!