Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California law requires gender-neutral area in some stores

I can't believe they wasted time with this bill. As a California resident I know there are countless issues more pressing than this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2021 3:53 AM

Toothbrushes? There’s ‘his & hers’ toothbrushes? How have they been displayed before now?

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 3:04 PM

This is why I don’t identify as liberal anymore. The left are as crazy as the right.

I don’t agree with this at all.

And random but I know they’ve done tests on baby chimps and they found that the male chimps are drawn to toy cars and female chimps were drawn to dolls.

This idea that humans are just both ambiguous and are infected with gender social construct is false.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]they’ve done tests on baby chimps

Those fucking chimps need to be cancelled. Now.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 3:08 PM

Those chimps are TERFS!

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 3:09 PM

I bet some big fat butch mean man-hating lezzie was behind this bill. I'm sick of all of this.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 3:11 PM

The way "girl toys" and "boy toys" are pushed on kids *is* sexist and regressive, but to see this coming from the same organizations who label and medicalize kids for playing with the wrong toys is pretty rich.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2021 3:11 PM

R3 There was also a study of chimps using money and the male chimps would use it for sex and the female chimps would have sex to buy bananas.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 3:13 PM

The future is bright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2021 3:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2021 3:16 PM

I was so in between with my toys.

It’s like was Catwoman for boys or girls? Or for gay boys? Cause I loved my Catwoman action figure.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2021 3:16 PM

"THAT label and medicalize"; coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2021 3:20 PM

R2 Many trans girls are also drawn to female oriented toys as children. The push for gender neutrality is more the reserve of second-wave feminism where it was argued that men and women do not differ in brain anatomy and that all gender differences flow from physical differences. This argument is increasingly tenuous as the field of neurobiology is proving that IN GENERAL the structures of female brains differ from male brains.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2021 3:21 PM

R8 This is what Paglia was talking about comparing the state of the US to the fall of Rome. We’re all trying to get men to wear dresses and making gender neutral retail stores while China and Russia and the Taliban are getting ready to butt fuck us with no lube.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2021 3:23 PM

This is something that does not need to be regulated. If there's a significant market demand for gender neutral toys, these business will adapt accordingly...especially in California where corporate virtue signaling is so well-received.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2021 3:23 PM

R2 Many gay kids play with girls toys too, like me.

Of course I used my Barbies to reenact the Salem Witch Trials as a kid but I still dressed them up pretty for their executions.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2021 3:25 PM

Gender neutrality is at odds with trans identity. They are not the same.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2021 3:25 PM

The West is edging closer to .... !

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2021 3:29 PM

R15 but you probably didn't feel like you were born in the wrong body. There has been an explosion in trans-identifying people, possibly due to social contagion, but there have been some pretty convincing studies that the 'early' pre-Tumblr trans identifying people do have brain structures that match their preferred gender.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2021 3:30 PM

This is why they hate us and we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2021 3:33 PM

It’s a win for Pat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2021 3:33 PM

[quote]This is why I don’t identify as liberal anymore.

This has very little to do with textbook liberalism. But I suspect you never really identified as a "liberal"

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2021 3:37 PM

R15 Not true at all.

Before I understood I was gay and what it was and what it meant, I imagined myself as a girl when I played dress up and was drawn to girl stuff.

Once I started seeing homosexuality, I understood it and that’s when the road to being gay happened. The first time I heard about being gay and shit was the Gianni Versace murder on the news. Then I understood I didn’t have to be a girl or like a girl to be with a boy.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2021 3:38 PM

R13 Paglia IS trans.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2021 3:39 PM

Evan Low, the gay Democrat who authored the bill, looks better with glasses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2021 3:59 PM

The argument against trans people in public places is always that cis men are going to dress up like trans women and lie in wait to rape cis women. Having gender neutral bathrooms and dressing rooms would obviate this. So what's the problem? Unless your idea is just to hound trans people to death.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote] Instead, it says large stores must also have a gender neutral section to display “a reasonable selection" of items "regardless of whether they have been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys.”

And THIS is why people say that there's something in authentic about the T brigade, their gender obsession, and how society is handling them. Yes, many products are needlessly gendered, but people have been complaining about this for decades with no progress on the issue. What other minority group has legislation mandating their emotional accommodation like this?

r25, did you actually read the article? "The law only applies to toys and “childcare items,” which include hygiene and teething products. And it only applies to stores with at least 500 employees, meaning small businesses are exempt." It has nothing to do with bathrooms., but since you opened that door, take a look at the article below. Understand that the contention around MTFs' access to female bathrooms and other spaces where they're vulnerable and the problems that causes for actual females isn't unfounded or farfetched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2021 5:08 PM

R25 you know it doesn't take dressing up to claim you're trans right? It also shouldn't take bringing up fears of rape to justify sex segregation in private spaces. I suspect women are jumping to worst case scenarios because even that reason is shut down, when women saying no should be enough.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2021 5:27 PM

The brain arguments don't completely hold water because the brain is plastic. Even something like covid was able to charge brain structure. Not to say there isn't inherent personality traits that play a role in developing into who we are, or what are interests are, but environment can be a powerful thing as well. There's also been studies on gender that were found to be flawed, yet were used to reinforce all sorts of gender bias.

The study with chimps leaves out the fact that female chimps played with both toys. It can also be argued that a female chimp playing with a pan is not reliable, since they don't even cook, whereas a doll would make more sense -- not because they have a pink brain, but because their reproductive role is to have babies. Natural tendencies towards reproductive roles, that stem from physical reality, shouldn't be confused as being exactly the same as social gender roles, which are largely artificial. There's been plenty of times in history where gender stereotypes have fluctuated, depending on the norms in culture -- like wearing wigs, stockings, heels, makeup, wearing pink, etc.

And let's say we did know for sure that we're born with gendered brains, how is that indicative of being born in the wrong body? Why is having commonalities with females seen as meaning a male should've been female? Being more inclined to like female coded things, doesn't mean anything more than that, and shouldn't be seen as reason to change sex. Instead, social expectations of gender shouldn't be rigid.

This isn't to say grown adults shouldn't be able to charge the way they look. No one stops those addicted to extreme plastic surgery afterall. No one should be mistreating either and everyone deserves the same basic human rights, no matter how they look, but it crosses the line when it comes to demanding the legal definition of another group, most be changed to accommodate. Just like I wouldn't care if someone healthy wants to go around in a wheelchair; as long as they aren't demanding to be accommodated as if they're actually disabled, and trying to redefine what disabled means legally.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote] I used my Barbies to reenact the Salem Witch Trials as a kid

Funny. I had a friend who used to do that. He'd burn them at the stake at the end and his sister would later find their melted Barbie dolls in the alley.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2021 5:54 PM

Hello, Speaker Kevin and Leader Mitch! It's stuff like this that made you win!

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2021 6:15 PM

R28 The brain is plastic, but only to a point. People can't be taught how to be super geniuses, people with autism cannot be cured, it's likely that a lot of personality disorders have a genetic component. Male tendencies and female tendencies in brain physiology are detectable. It's a spectrum with some fuzziness in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2021 7:00 PM

Ridiculous. If there is a market for it, the stores would have it (such as the article indicates Target does).

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2021 7:04 PM

The problem is, if it was REALLY an issue it would be required in ALL stores not just those over an X amount of employees.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2021 7:04 PM

Riddle me this. Where does one place the new "Barbies Oil Change Garage" kit or "Ken's Beauty Shop"? This is so insane and hilarious it defies logic.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2021 7:09 PM

newsom wants to make sure trump wins

California is dead to me

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2021 8:07 PM

R35 Trump win what? He's gone and disgraced. Get a new hobby!

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2021 8:59 PM

R28 Very well said! I agree and love your post.

You mentioned healthy people in wheelchairs, there actually is such thing as transabled which are able bodied people who feel like their bodies should be disabled.

It’s a small minority of people but given today’s climate of social media and labeling, it could grow and catch on pretty soon.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote] transabled which are able bodied people who feel like their bodies should be disabled.

That's everyone in the morning, when they have to get up early.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] The argument against trans people in public places is always that cis men are going to dress up like trans women and lie in wait to rape cis women. Having gender neutral bathrooms and dressing rooms would obviate this.

How does gender neutral bathrooms and dressing rooms obviate the risk? Unless by gender neutral bathrooms and dressing rooms you mean an entirely different physical set up for the bathroom like single person bathrooms.

Women do not want to be in any state of undress and in any manner of vulnerability in an area with men. So individual stalls within a larger dressing or bathroom area won't work either.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2021 12:03 AM

r25 got another, more recent one for you, and this one actually involves a 'cis male going to dress up like trans women and lie in wait to rape a cis woman.' This attack was committed at school by a male student that 'dressed as a female' to enter the girl's facilities. The little shit orally and anally raped a female classmate and the school covered it up -- guess they didn't want to feed into terf talking points by actually taking this seriously and giving it the respect and attention it deserves, huh.

Someone create a thread for this so we can ruin trans enablers' day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2021 8:39 PM

Next California will be requiring all department stores open their doors at night for the homeless to sleep in the linen section.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2021 3:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!