Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Potentially Disastrous Casting Near-Misses

David Tennant as Hannibal rather than Mads Mikkelsen would have been high comedy. I can only think of the gurning and shudder. And he would not have filled out those suits so well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 10:02 PM

Bette Midler in Misery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 4:20 AM

Oh, lord....Tennant would have been so horrible.

Such a twitchy ham.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 4:21 AM

I didn't watch the series where Tennant played Dennis Nilsen. Was he as hammy as he usually is?

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 4:23 AM

[quote] Oh, lord....Tennant would have been so horrible. Such a twitchy ham.

[quote] I didn't watch the series where Tennant played Dennis Nilsen. Was he as hammy as he usually is?

Ironically he did a credible effort as Ham-let with Patrick Stewart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 4:37 AM

Annette Bening as Catwoman in "Batman Returns". I like her, and always have, but Pfeiffer took that part to places no one else could have.

Rue McClanahan as Rose Nylund, & Betty White as Blanche Devereaux. It wouldn't have beem disasterous, but it ultimately turned out for the best.

Travolta as Forrest Gump

Selleck as Indiana Jones

DiCaprio as Patrick Bateman in "American Psycho". I don't like him as an actor anyway (w/the exception of two films), but he would've ruined the film, rendering it unwatchable. Christian Bale has always been the better actor anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 4:49 AM

Claudette Colbert as Margo Channing. Would have been a very different movie.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2021 4:55 AM

Errol Flynn and Bette Davis as Rhett and Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 4:58 AM

Paula Abdul in Goddess. Can you imagine her in my show?

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2021 5:02 AM

[quote] "Claudette Colbert as Margo Channing. Would have been a very different movie."

I'm as grateful for that skiing accident, as I am for Bening's pregnancy, R6!

Oh, let me add Gale Soundergaard as The Wicked Witch Of The West in "The Wizard Of Oz". I'm glad the characterization was changed from the initial glamorous treatment, to what finally appeared on film. Soundergaard was given "the ugly treatment", but bowed out. It wouldn't have worked at all.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2021 5:08 AM

Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2021 5:13 AM

Thank you, R8. It's posters like you that keep me coming back to DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2021 5:22 AM

Remember when they had announced a Dallas feature film adaptation with John Travolta as JR and Jennifer Lopez as Sue Ellen. My guess is that eventually the studio decided to do the reboot series instead, and thank God. That movie would have probably made Depp's Dark Shadows look like Citizen Kane in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2021 5:22 AM

Beanie Feldstein as Fanny Brice in Funny Girl. Is that still happening?

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2021 5:23 AM

That would've been a vastly different, and vastly more enjoyable film, Rami Malek @R10.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2021 5:27 AM

Kisses R11😘!

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2021 5:30 AM

Yeah...I wish Cohen had played Freddie instead of that insufferable twit Rami Malek.

Brian May is a cunt who fought with Cohen because Cohen sensibly thought "no one cares about Brian May...the public only cares about Freddie Mercury"

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2021 5:37 AM

I think Selleck could have played Indiana Jones but it wouldn't have become the classic it became....it would have just been another successful popcorn movie.

All About Eve would have beein ok with Colbert; after all, it had that terrific script, but Davis is a stronger more passionate actor. She has fire in her performances while Colbert was always an icier personality. Though Colbert and Anne Baxter looked more alike, I don't think that pairing would have had sizzle.

Also: Colbert is herself more of an Eve type than a Margo.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2021 5:42 AM

I agree that SBC would have much, much better than POS Rami Malek. Cohen was very open about not wanting to whitewash Freddie's lifestyle and do an interesting biopic. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2021 5:43 AM

I will never understand why people thought “Bohemian Rhapsody” was a good movie. It was terrible. I don’t believe Freddie was that boring of a person and there wasn’t an actual story.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2021 5:51 AM

David Tennant, yech. Tennant is bro-ish and geeky and slightly irreverent which works for Doctor Who and Broadchurch and even Jessica Jones but not for Hannibal Lector who is decadent, affected Eurotrash.

Mikkelsen could not have been more perfect.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2021 12:30 PM

Uh..... (can't believe one of DL's fun facts hasn't been mentioned yet).....Kate Jackson instead of Meryl in Kramer Vs Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2021 4:54 PM

Tennant would not be the right choice to play Hannibal in the traditional all-powerful menacing supervillain style of Brian Cox and Anthony Hopkins, and would certainly not have fit into the superslick hypersexualized Grahamter slash fic approach of "Hannibal" the series. To fit the Tennant persona and skill set you'd have to reimagine Lecter as a geeky scary clown villain in the tradition of Heath Ledger's Joker, Andrew Scott's Moriarty, and Tennant's own Kilgrave in "Jessica Jones."

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2021 5:06 PM

Mads Mikkelsen is basically the 21st century Peter Lorre.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2021 5:07 PM

[Quote]Kate Jackson instead of Meryl in Kramer Vs Kramer.

I think Kate would've been perfect for the role. Meryl got damn lucky.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2021 6:58 PM

Rami was great as Mercury; those complaining here sound like they either have a problem with the script or with Rami personally.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 2:28 PM

Oh yeah right great performance this lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 2:34 PM

Emma Thompson claims to have been offered Basic Instinct (!).

Greta Scacchi, Michelle Pfeiffer and Annette Bening would have been fine. But you can’t imagine anyone better than Sharon Stone. She goes from hot to cold on a dime, is unforcedly, naturally pretty and has style kind of sexuality where her smile with its hint of a sneer isn’t intimidating but enticing.

Michelle Pfeiffer, for instance, is mostly class. Rebecca De Mornay, mostly sleaze. Stone has the perfect combination of both.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 4:40 PM

Molly Ringwald and Pretty Woman.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 4:47 PM

Matthew McConaughey and Gwyneth Paltrow in Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote]Emma Thompson claims to have been offered Basic Instinct (!).

She's [italic]auditioned[/italic] for it. There's a difference, R27.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 5:05 PM

Billy Idol was James Cameron’s first choice to play the T-1000 in Terminator 2, but he badly broke his leg in a motorcycle accident before filming and couldn’t do all the running required for the role, so Robert Patrick was cast instead.

Billy may have been fine, but I can’t think of anyone doing it better than Patrick did. He had a cold stare and blank face like a cyborg. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 5:14 PM

Re; Basic Instinct. It was offered to just about every "A", "B", and "C" actress in Hollywood. Because of the interrogation (show pussy) scene, most refused to even meet. There was one actress who was strongly pursued before she finally turned it down, (again, because of that scene). It was Geena Davis.

Meanwhile, Sharon Stone's agent (or manager) was all over them pushing Stone. Finally, they relented and the rest is history.

P.S. Stone later claiming she had no idea they were filming her clit is full bullshit. She knew going in. (Or perhaps her agent completely lied to her!)

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 5:55 PM

Being John Malkovich. Close to production, they still hadn't nailed down a contract and Malkovich was close to dropping out. Had that happened, it would have been Being Steve Buscemi.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2021 6:16 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2021 6:08 PM

There might have actually been some nudity and simulated gay sex in SBC's version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mads is not my type normally but he exudes sex appeal. David Tennant is a good actor at times but he has the sex appeal of a praying mantis to me.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2021 7:13 PM

Burt Ward as THE GRADUATE

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2021 7:54 PM

I have often found David Tennant too over the top and hammy, but his portrayal of Denis Nilsen was genuinely scary. He was very convincing as someone with a disastrously contorted emotional life, and banality in the midst of absolute carnage. He even got the accent right.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 8:17 PM

David Tennant is the worst Hamlet I've ever seen, and I've seen Ethan Hawke.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 8:17 PM

The crazy-ass Paramount executives wanted Robert Redford to play Michael Corleone and Laurence Olivier to play Vito. Coppola actually had to ponder making the Corleones northern Italians instead of Sicilians.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 8:22 PM

That's insane R39. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 8:32 PM

Audrey Hepburn in The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 10:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!