Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This just in: Eric Clapton is a HUGE asshole

Like his music, hate him as a person

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2022 4:21 AM

He’s as thick as pig shit.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 4:17 AM

I can honestly say I never liked him and didn't understand why other people did.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 4:19 AM

R2, I work in the critical care field, and am plugged into a network of ICUs.

Basically, about 95% of the ICU COVID patients in my area are unvaccinated, and the only vaccinated COVID patients who are sick enough to need ICU are immunocompromised - usually because they have cancer. And the out of all the COVID deaths that have happened, only vaccinated person who died of COVID did indeed have metasticizing cancer. So from what I've seen, and everything I've read from reliable sources, vaccination is absolutely worth the trouble! It may not completely keep you from being sick, but if the vaccines will keep people from getting deathly ill or dying, then it's absolutely worth the trouble to accept a free shot.

As for Clapton, I'd wonder if foolishness of this degree was a sign of impending dementia, if he hadn't been an asshole his whole life. If he gets taken down now, fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 5:02 AM

Does anyone have access to the whole story on Clapton? It's paywalled.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 5:03 AM

Wouldn’t it make more sense for Clapton to bankroll, I dunno, hotel window safety renovations?

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2021 5:10 AM

I've always regarded him as a low-talent asshole who received undue praise for his mediocre playing. The only thing remotely good about his artistry is how Scorsese used the "Layla" instrumental in Goodfellas.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 5:12 AM

Here r5, but just go to Google, seriously. There are hundreds of stories out there about Clapton and his anti-vax songs and his anti-vax propaganda, plus that huge racist rant he went on that was so bad that a bunch of musicians created the "Rock Against Racism" event to try to make up for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2021 5:13 AM

Thank you, R6. I wasn't gonna post it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2021 5:25 AM

I get Freemason vibes from him

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2021 5:47 AM

I get Freemason vibes from him

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2021 5:48 AM

Has anyone listened to antivaxx music? Is it satisfying artistically?

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2021 5:54 AM

Great song writer, great guitarist, not a bad singer, awful person.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2021 5:55 AM

[quote] Great song writer, great guitarist

Wonderful Tonight and I Looked Into My Father’s Eyes weren’t all that. Certainly not the equal to his guitar playing.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2021 8:00 AM

Old rockers newer songs are never as good as their old songs.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2021 8:11 AM

What a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2021 8:13 AM

I didn't get the appeal for Eric Clapton back in the day and I certainly never understood it after he wrote a song about his baby falling out of a window.

He just seems ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2021 8:40 AM

And then licensed it for use in a trashy movie.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2021 10:25 AM

Not to defend him since he seems to be a jerk now. But he was something else in the 60s. No one was doing what he, Bruce and Baker were doing back then with Cream. No one.

I always thought he was something like Louie Armstrong. Dated now, but revolutionary then. It’s sad that Clapton became a douche, but on the other hand that’s what happens when stars are idolized. Music and movie.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2021 1:07 AM

When he was young he was a superlative guitar player. I'll give him that.

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2021 1:33 AM

R20 I'm'na need proof.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2021 1:48 AM

This isn't news. It's been known for nearly 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2021 1:49 AM

Receipts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2021 1:51 AM

Didn’t everyone know this? He murdered his son so he’d sell sympathy albums.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2021 1:59 AM

Looks like I'll have to add his CDs and records to the same fire that I tossed others into: Ted Nugent, Susan Sarandon DVD collection, Michelle Shocked, James Woods movies, The Champ DVD, Susan Olsen's book... At this rate I may clean house.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2021 2:04 AM

Pilgrim For Your Love

Badge

Layla

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2021 2:09 AM

Cunt. I’m crying no tears for him.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2021 8:32 AM

How does he feel about immigrants and non-whites?

That bad, huh?

Time to cancel this dude

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2021 9:21 AM

[quote]Not to defend him since he seems to be a jerk now.

He's been a jerk for a LONG time R19. It's just that in the late 70s, before the internet, random news of a huge Rock Star being openly racist at a concert didn't really spead far and wide.

It's now been brought back up that, at a concert in Birmingham UK in 1976 he went on a racist rant. Excerpts from reports have been pieced together to report details of the rant. Here's perhaps not an exact quote but it's very much close:

Clapton asked "foreigners" to raise their hands and leave his show. He said, "not just leave the hall, leave our country... I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. The Black wogs and cunts and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any Black wogs and cunts living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. This is Great Britain, a white country. Throw the wogs out. Keep Britain white."

Just an FYi, "Keep Britain White" was the British Fascist Party slogan at the time.

His rant did raise awareness of racism in music and sparked Britain's Rock Against Racism campaign. But it got virtually no reporting about it outside Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2021 9:47 AM

[quote] It's just that in the late 70s, before the internet, random news of a huge Rock Star being openly racist at a concert didn't really spead far and wide.

In this case it did, though. Clapton's racist rant and Bowie's snide remarks about how great fascism was spawned a "Rock Against Racism" event. This absolutely made the news. I don't know how far it went internationally but I do know I read about it in the 1980s in Rolling Stone, that's how I learned about it, in the context of Elton John reportedly telling someone in a studio session who was still put off by Clapton's racism to "just get over it."

Until relatively recently, people were happy to ignore this kind of thing for famous people and "rock gods."

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2021 10:05 AM

Past his due date.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2021 10:08 AM

‘Layla’ is the new ‘Sweet Home Alabama’

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2021 10:11 AM

His assholery was revealed way back, when he stole his best friend's wife.

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2021 11:50 AM

He's never been a smart guy, his thinking is fairly dogmatic. No one will accuse him of sophisticated thought processes. As much as I love Van Morrison's music he can be a bit of a petty rebel as well.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2021 12:03 PM

R4, serious question, I don’t have an agenda.

What are the ages of the unvaxxed people who are in the ICU?

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2021 12:35 PM

To be fair, R33, the "best friend's wife" was fed up with her husband fucking anything that would hold still enough.

But it's not like Clapton was a better deal.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote]Like his music, hate him as a person

I go back and forth on whether this position is sustainable about a songwriter or author.

For an actor, it's merely bringing life to another person's words. However, the words of an author or songwriter are always going to be a reflection of that person's ideas, beliefs, and feelings. The words are going to be a reflection of the key themes and messages that are important to them.

For someone like Clapton, his songs will be an outward reflection of his true beliefs. You simply cannot hide whatever hateful crap is rolling around inside his head - no matter how pretty the music you put to those words is.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2021 12:45 PM

I remember trying to read Eric Clapton's autobiography--I gave up....Let's just say, In terms of memoir-writing, he's no Grace Slick. But then, Grace is crazy and smart. Eric is, or was, a talented druggie, which just isn't that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2021 12:47 PM

Look way down there! It's Daddy!

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2021 12:49 PM

Clapton is an average guitarist at best and a scummy asshole of a person. He is a putrid anti-vaxxer and possible Trump supporter. Certainly an Enoch Powell supporter. He's also a well known racist. In general a despicable "human being". All that being said, even though I hate him with the heat of 10,000 suns, I will still listen to all of the Cream recordings but nothing else he has ever done. I expect he was born to be an petty, mean spirited asshole.

by Anonymousreply 40December 24, 2021 7:09 AM

He’ll always be a hero and an inspiration to me

by Anonymousreply 41December 24, 2021 2:38 PM

Let’s file Clapton right next to Cosby. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2022 2:00 AM

Didn’t he kill his son for publicity?

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2022 2:07 AM

In her autobiography, Rita Coolidge claims that she co-wrote what became the instrumental second half of Layla. She wrote and recorded it with another musician as a separate song and sent a demo of it to Clapton. According to her, Clapton simply added the composition on to Layla without her permission. He has no doubt raked in a fortune from the song over the years, while Coolidge has never seen a dime from it or been credited for co-writing it.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2022 4:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!